First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply U.S. meaning for "equality" unrealistic?
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

As one person always said, even if you're superior, that doesn't give you the right to treat people like shit.



Marcus Octavius said otherwise (From Highlander Anime Movie) :p.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


Kitahoshi_Hazel wrote:


The ways in which I think a little special treatment in warranted is that I've heard there aren't very many female sized uniforms and having an ill fitting uniform makes it very difficult to perform your duties so I wouldn't say that eliminating them is a good idea. I think there's an element of common sense involved when it comes to "special treatment".



You've heard wrong. There are female uniforms (or at least there were when I was in). They even had maternity uniforms when I was in. And that was the Marine Corps, who are notorious for sucking in regards to gear and equipment. I'd be extremely surprised if other branches did not have female uniforms..

So.... guess I'm calling BS on that.

I'll have to call BS as well.

The Navy had alternate uniforms available for females, including maternity. Only the dungarees and coveralls were the same.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 10/15/15
Much of the current phase of "no, we are all exactly the same" is more a result of past discrimination. Sort of like affirmative action - it was an effort to correct the wrongs of the past. Instead of educational and economic standing, however, this was more of an effort to correct lasting biases within the mind.

Does this actually work? I can't really say, but it does seem a little overboard to me. There are a few minor differences here and there. Acting like they don't exist doesn't force the remaining pockets of inequality to disappear, so far as I can figure.

Inequality is a very important thing to me, but so is accurate information. It doesn't bother me when people don't point of differences, but I'd rather people not reject truth. Still, a certain amount of over-reacting is to be expected.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/15

Schmooples wrote:

Much of the current phase of "no, we are all exactly the same" is more a result of past discrimination. Sort of like affirmative action - it was an effort to correct the wrongs of the past. Instead of educational and economic standing, however, this was more of an effort to correct lasting biases within the mind.

Does this actually work? I can't really say, but it does seem a little overboard to me. There are a few minor differences here and there. Acting like they don't exist doesn't force the remaining pockets of inequality to disappear, so far as I can figure.

Inequality is a very important thing to me, but so is accurate information. It doesn't bother me when people don't point of differences, but I'd rather people not reject truth. Still, a certain amount of over-reacting is to be expected.


Can't really disagree with anything here. Thanks for commenting.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/15/15 , edited 10/15/15
What equality problems?

We have huge problems. I mean look at babies! Those racist bastards!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3209554/Is-baby-racist-Scientists-discover-way-reverse-racial-bias-young-children.html#ixzz3ju7jekX9

QUICK GET THE SJW FLASHCARDS TO LIBERATE THEM FROM RACIAL BIAS TOWARDS PEOPLE THAT LOOK LIKE THEIR MOTHERS.



Anyway, the problem with the gender 'equality' is that bigots like to work off of the theory that 'gender is a social construct' even though the last few decades have beaten that theory to bloody death through epigenetics, neurosciences and endocrinology etc. Equal opportunity does not necessitate equal outcome.

10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/15/15 , edited 10/16/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Anyway, the problem with the gender 'equality' is that bigots like to work off of the theory that 'gender is a social construct' even though the last few decades have beaten that theory to bloody death through epigenetics, neurosciences and endocrinology etc. Equal opportunity does not necessitate equal outcome.



Yes... just another way people choose to wear blinders. I'm all for equality. I just don't thinking lying to ourselves is necessary or even helpful in accomplishing it.
Posted 10/15/15
I think that no one should get offended if something is true.
41705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15
No one is ever going to be fully considered equal so long as there is bigotry in the world. And it always seems there will be bigotry. Even if we all had the same physical attributes, psychologically there would always be someone who thinks themselves to be better than others, that is human nature. Has no one ever seen the Fairly Oddparents episode where they're all turned into gray blobs, looking the same, yet there are still characters that treat others as inferior? Yeah, that pretty much embodies the point.

there is always someone out there who thinks themselves better than you. There isn't anything you can do about it.

People nowadays are offended by the most trivial stuff anyway, considering how much more accepting the west and other nations have become, there will always be someone finding something to gripe about even if it's not defined as actual inequality.

17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15
did op really just tried proving that black people can't swim?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

did op really just tried proving that black people can't swim?


Of course black people can swim. I never said they couldn't. I explained why, scientifically, they have more difficulty with it (on average) than other races.

Let me guess... you are offended? Too bad, it is true.

I don't think that should change how anyone treats black people, or our rights or anything. I was just stating facts.

I like how you're trying to make me out to be a racist asshole, though. Appreciated.


This outright denial and outrage is the absurdity I'm talking about. So, thanks for illustrating that for those participating in the conversation.



EDIT: Before anyone else jumps on this person's side, you may want to go back and read my previous posts discussing this. This is a clear attempt to twist what I said to be a dick, and I think most reasonable people will see that when they see what I REALLY wrote.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

Scientific racism is the use of scientific techniques and hypotheses to support or justify the belief in racism, racial inferiority, or racial superiority, or alternatively the practice of classifying individuals of different phenotypes into discrete races.[1][2][3]

As a category of theory, scientific racism employs anthropology (notably physical anthropology), anthropometry, craniometry, and other disciplines, in proposing anthropologic typologies supporting the classification of human populations into physically discrete human races, that might be asserted to be superior or inferior. Scientific racism was common during the New Imperialism period (c. 1880s – 1914) where it was used in justifying White European imperialism, and it culminated in the period from 1920 to the end of World War II when it was finally discredited. Since the later 20th century, scientific racism has been criticized as obsolete and has historically been used to support or validate racist world-views, based upon belief in the existence and significance of racial categories and a hierarchy of superior and inferior races.[4]

After the end of the Second World War (1939–45) and the occurrence of the Holocaust, scientific racism in theory and action was formally denounced, especially in UNESCO's antiracist statement "The Race Question" (1950): "The biological fact of race and the myth of 'race' should be distinguished. For all practical social purposes 'race' is not so much a biological phenomenon as a social myth. The myth of 'race' has created an enormous amount of human and social damage. In recent years, it has taken a heavy toll in human lives, and caused untold suffering."[5] Today, perceived scientific racism is sometimes labeled as a pseudoscience.[2][3]

The term "scientific racism" is pejorative as applied to modern theories, as in The Bell Curve (1994), which investigated racial differences in IQ, concluding that genetics explained at least part of the IQ differences between races. Critics argue that such works are motivated by racist presumptions unsupported by available evidence. Publications such as the Mankind Quarterly, founded as an explicitly "race-conscious" publication, have been accused of scientific racism for publishing articles on controversial interpretations of human evolution, intelligence, ethnography, language, mythology, archaeology, and race subjects.[6] The pejorative label, "scientific racism", criticizes studies claiming to establish a connection between, for example, race and intelligence, and argues that this promotes the idea of "superior" and "inferior" human races.[7]
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:



Scientific racism is the use of scientific techniques and hypotheses to support or justify the belief in racism, racial inferiority, or racial superiority, or alternatively the practice of classifying individuals of different phenotypes into discrete races.[1][2][3]


mhm...

Except I didn't do ANY of that. I simply stated facts. In fact, I even said, numerous times at this point, that the concept of racial supremacy is just as ridiculous as the outright denial of differences.

Sooo, what's your point?


EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. You're being super sensitive about this, so instead of looking at what I have to say reasonably.... like almost everyone else has... you'd rather try to make me look racist to everyone else.

Welllll... good luck with that.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15
Let's push the borders. You were also talking about mental attributes of black people, facts right?
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15
Why do white people generally lack empathy towards brown people? turns out there is a study on that

https://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
https://restructure.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/white-people-lack-empathy-for-brown-people-brain-research-shows/

Don't deny it. Accept it. These are facts.

HolyDrumstick wrote:

I'm not going to pretend that we're all wired exactly the same, though.
I'm not going to either
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Let's push the borders. You were also talking about mental attributes of black people, facts right?


No... I never mentioned any mental attributes of black people. I know there are studies that exist, and I know a few of the results, but I don't really know anything on black people. Never really cared to look into it.

However, different races do have slight mental differences. I stated that, and an example. However, when I stated that example, I also pointed out that it is difficult to distinguish what is caused from genetics and what is caused from cultural teachings and upbringing.

I'm not going to pretend that we're all wired exactly the same, though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.