First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply U.S. meaning for "equality" unrealistic?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Why do white people generally lack empathy towards brown people? turns out there is a study on that

https://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
https://restructure.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/white-people-lack-empathy-for-brown-people-brain-research-shows/

Don't deny it. Accept it. These are facts.


Yeah... that doesn't really surprise me. People generally empathize more with those they identify with more, and empathize less with those they identify with less.

I'd argue that this stays true of almost all races.

How's that in any way groundbreaking or offensive to me?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:I'm not going to either


Then what exactly is you beef with me? I don't get it. haha
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Why do white people generally lack empathy towards brown people? turns out there is a study on that

https://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
https://restructure.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/white-people-lack-empathy-for-brown-people-brain-research-shows/

Don't deny it. Accept it. These are facts.


Yeah... that doesn't really surprise me. People generally empathize more with those they identify with more, and empathize less with those they identify with less.

I'd argue that this stays true of almost all races.

How's that in any way groundbreaking or offensive to me?
Except the study only proved true to white people because the participants were all white.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:
Except the study only proved true to white people because the participants were all white.


Exactly... all the participants were white. I'd say that study is more racist than any comment I've made. LOL

However, I'm not offended. Why would I be? Because it paints all white people as more racist than other races, without even studying other races? Okay, but it doesn't change what most reasonable people think. It doesn't change what I think about myself. It in no way affects my rights. So... *shrug*
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Exactly... all the participants were white. I'd say that study is more racist than any comment I've made. LOL

However, I'm not offended. Why would I be? Because it paints all white people as more racist than other races, without even studying other races? Okay, but it doesn't change what most reasonable people think. It doesn't change what I think about myself. It in no way affects my rights. So... *shrug*
I'm curious, I really want to know about the research you have done on mind of difference races. I mean, it couldn't possibly be proving that black people are lesser in anyway. Maybe you can educate me more on this topic.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:
I'm curious, I really want to know about the research you have done on mind of difference races. I mean, it couldn't possibly be proving that black people are lesser in anyway. Maybe you can educate me more on this topic.

Haha, here you go again, trying to make me out to be a racist asshole. Just not going to be satisfied until you paint me as a bigot, eh?

Most of it is just common sense. I mean, as I posted about swim qual... I was there, I saw the results firsthand. You can't just deny that. Later, I researched that out of curiosity. I mean, when something like that is staring you in the face, you want to know why it is that way. The results of that were due to higher bone and muscle density.

As far as the mental stuff goes, I've seen a lot of racists try to use the differences to justify or support supremacy (From both sides of that fence, just so you know.). While a lot of the information is complete BS, there are a few studies here and there that are legitimate. While I don't think they in anyway justify or support the supremacy of any race, if the information is legitimate, I'm not going to disregard it because it illustrates differences.

Also, as I have posted like 4 times, now, and you keep ignoring. It gets hairy when you are talking about mental attributes, because there is so much that is influenced by culture and upbringing, it would be very difficult to prove that anything was entirely genetic. I'm simply not going to deny that we're all different to a degree. That's outright denial.

But, honestly, it's not like I've done a dissertation on the subject, or anything.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15
Study on white people and academic evidence and work cite: not just white people, ALL people are like that
Use personal example and stereotype: yeah for the most part black people are not good at swimming,

have it came across you mind that maybe, just maybe you might be selectively bias
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Study on white people and academic evidence and work cite: not just white people, ALL people are like that
Use personal example and stereotype: yeah for the most part black people are not good at swimming,

have it came across you mind that maybe, just maybe you might be selectively bias


I'm sorry, I'm having trouble sorting out what you are trying to say there.

But, if you are saying that my thoughts on black people having more difficulty with swimming than other races is anyway based on a personal bias or a stereotype, you are wrong. I actually wasn't even aware the stereotype existed until I saw the numbers. Then I did research to determine the cause, rather than just accepting that as fact. And it doesn't apply to everyone, by any means... just the average. And if you think that it isn't true, you are wrong, because it is.

Also, a stereotype is not necessarily wrong, by default. The only real problem with a stereotype is when someone judges an individual based on that stereotype, without actually knowing that person. Then it is a problem. Many stereotypes have their roots in truth. I can even give you the reasons for the watermelon and fried chicken stereotype. That has nothing to do with race, and has much more to do with the conditions of disadvantaged African Americans during periods of unequal rights. I'd be glad to explain it to you.

Not saying those stereotypes all hold true, but they do usually have their roots in some sort of truth.



You're cracking me up. Seriously. Trying so hard to make me out to be a racist.

2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Why do white people generally lack empathy towards brown people? turns out there is a study on that

https://ose.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2135
https://restructure.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/white-people-lack-empathy-for-brown-people-brain-research-shows/

Don't deny it. Accept it. These are facts.


Is there any other source you can find for that? In what you linked, it doesn't list inclusion criteria or anything - aside from that they were all white. For all the article says, they could have had only five highly racist people in the study, and that would be about as flawed as it gets. I'd like to know a bit more.

There is very little difference between the brains of the different races, so I would be very skeptical of any claims that whites are inherently racist - just as I would be very skeptical of claims that blacks are more prone to violence. There are, however, a number of well documented physical trends among the races, as OP says. Bone density is a particularly well-known one.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1863580/

Is there still a problem with racism in the world today? Yes, of course, and we should work to change it. But denying facts won't really help. People are equal, but equal doesn't always mean identical - nor should it. Our differences make us all the more beautiful, no matter where we come from.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

Schmooples wrote:People are equal, but equal doesn't always mean identical - nor should it. Our differences make us all the more beautiful, no matter where we come from.


Exactly how I feel.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Study on white people and academic evidence and work cite: not just white people, ALL people are like that
Use personal example and stereotype: yeah for the most part black people are not good at swimming,

have it came across you mind that maybe, just maybe you might be selectively bias


I'm sorry, I'm having trouble sorting out what you are trying to say there.

But, if you are saying that my thoughts on black people having more difficulty with swimming than other races is anyway based on a personal bias or a stereotype, you are wrong. I actually wasn't even aware the stereotype existed until I saw the numbers. Then I did research to determine the cause, rather than just accepting that as fact. And it doesn't apply to everyone, by any means... just the average. And if you think that it isn't true, you are wrong, because it is.

Also, a stereotype is not necessarily wrong, by default. The only real problem with a stereotype is when someone judges an individual based on that stereotype, without actually knowing that person. Then it is a problem. Many stereotypes have their roots in truth. I can even give you the reasons for the watermelon and fried chicken stereotype. That has nothing to do with race, and has much more to do with the conditions of disadvantaged African Americans during periods of unequal rights. I'd be glad to explain it to you.

Not saying those stereotypes all hold true, but they do usually have their roots in some sort of truth.



You're cracking me up. Seriously. Trying so hard to make me out to be a racist.



I'm semi-adopted so yeah, I really hate those crazy white people that raised me, and my racist as fuck niece and nephew that use me like a fucking jungle gym when they see me. One family member married a woman from Kenya and adopted her 6 kids, and I remember when they met my nephew, they would not stop carrying him around and playing with him. Somehow my sister kicked out a Hitler Youth baby with blonde hair and blue eyes and these black kids had never seen someone so, well, white before they couldn't get enough of them.

I also met a black guy that moved to middle of nowhere Wyoming because none of his black family members would visit him and he liked it that, "Too cold, too windy and they scared of all the open space." There are things in everybody's genes that control stuff, I'm not going to have to worry about getting as sunburned as fast as say some Irish people, Gingers don't have to worry about not having souls like the rest of the people on the planet, etc etc.

As for black people not being good at swimming, they aren't. Black adults don't want to teach black kids, and rinse repeat. You want to see a hard hittin' gangbanger cry like a bitch? Toss him in the deep end.

http://earhustle411.com/woman-trapped-on-top-of-her-car-being-rescued-from-flood-cant-seem-to-stop-talking-on-her-cell-phone/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Thankfully my family has taught everybody how to swim because it's just something you need to know, also how to tell a bad snake from a good one, and what not to leave around to feed the bears. All kinds of stereotypes, and they are there for a reason. If you ever want to have fun, take someone from L.A. into the woods in the middle of the night without a bright moon and dump your lights. City Slickers scream in fear of being outside in the dark hehe.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/15 , edited 10/16/15

VZ68 wrote:


I'm semi-adopted so yeah, I really hate those crazy white people that raised me, and my racist as fuck niece and nephew that use me like a fucking jungle gym when they see me. One family member married a woman from Kenya and adopted her 6 kids, and I remember when they met my nephew, they would not stop carrying him around and playing with him. Somehow my sister kicked out a Hitler Youth baby with blonde hair and blue eyes and these black kids had never seen someone so, well, white before they couldn't get enough of them.

I also met a black guy that moved to middle of nowhere Wyoming because none of his black family members would visit him and he liked it that, "Too cold, too windy and they scared of all the open space." There are things in everybody's genes that control stuff, I'm not going to have to worry about getting as sunburned as fast as say some Irish people, Gingers don't have to worry about not having souls like the rest of the people on the planet, etc etc.

As for black people not being good at swimming, they aren't. Black adults don't want to teach black kids, and rinse repeat. You want to see a hard hittin' gangbanger cry like a bitch? Toss him in the deep end.

http://earhustle411.com/woman-trapped-on-top-of-her-car-being-rescued-from-flood-cant-seem-to-stop-talking-on-her-cell-phone/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Thankfully my family has taught everybody how to swim because it's just something you need to know, also how to tell a bad snake from a good one, and what not to leave around to feed the bears. All kinds of stereotypes, and they are there for a reason. If you ever want to have fun, take someone from L.A. into the woods in the middle of the night without a bright moon and dump your lights. City Slickers scream in fear of being outside in the dark hehe.


Not really sure what point you are trying to make here. I can see a ton of this is sarcasm, but even with sarcasm, there is usually something you are trying to express.

Just not sure if you are also trying to say I'm racist or what.

I'm really not. Maybe if you just said what you are trying to say, I'd be able to explain things.

I will say that anyone who has actually read the things I have written and have a reasonable level of common sense should realize that I am not in any way racist.... but not everyone reads, not everyone has good reading comprehension, and LOTS of people lack common sense.


EDIT: About the parents not teaching their kids to swim, thing. I am sure that is a part of it, but even that had to start somewhere... which leads us back to bone and muscle density making floating, and therefore swimming, more difficult. It is a well documented fact that black people have a greater bone and muscle density. It is basic science that things that are more dense have more difficulty floating. So, I really can't see any reason to justify ignoring that reality.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


I'm semi-adopted so yeah, I really hate those crazy white people that raised me, and my racist as fuck niece and nephew that use me like a fucking jungle gym when they see me. One family member married a woman from Kenya and adopted her 6 kids, and I remember when they met my nephew, they would not stop carrying him around and playing with him. Somehow my sister kicked out a Hitler Youth baby with blonde hair and blue eyes and these black kids had never seen someone so, well, white before they couldn't get enough of them.

I also met a black guy that moved to middle of nowhere Wyoming because none of his black family members would visit him and he liked it that, "Too cold, too windy and they scared of all the open space." There are things in everybody's genes that control stuff, I'm not going to have to worry about getting as sunburned as fast as say some Irish people, Gingers don't have to worry about not having souls like the rest of the people on the planet, etc etc.

As for black people not being good at swimming, they aren't. Black adults don't want to teach black kids, and rinse repeat. You want to see a hard hittin' gangbanger cry like a bitch? Toss him in the deep end.

http://earhustle411.com/woman-trapped-on-top-of-her-car-being-rescued-from-flood-cant-seem-to-stop-talking-on-her-cell-phone/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Thankfully my family has taught everybody how to swim because it's just something you need to know, also how to tell a bad snake from a good one, and what not to leave around to feed the bears. All kinds of stereotypes, and they are there for a reason. If you ever want to have fun, take someone from L.A. into the woods in the middle of the night without a bright moon and dump your lights. City Slickers scream in fear of being outside in the dark hehe.


Not really sure what point you are trying to make here. I can see a ton of this is sarcasm, but even with sarcasm, there is usually something you are trying to express.

Just not sure if you are also trying to say I'm racist or what.

I'm really not. Maybe if you just said what you are trying to say, I'd be able to explain things.

I will say that anyone who has actually read the things I have written and have a reasonable level of common sense should realize that I am not in any way racist.... but not everyone reads, not everyone has good reading comprehension, and LOTS of people lack common sense.


Nope, I might be a bit rambling, but really saying that white people are racist against brown people just because is silly.

Fuck I might be having a bit of an old timers day.
Posted 10/16/15
We should be allowed equal opportunities, but not forget that we are not all actually equal.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/16/15

haikinka wrote:

We should be allowed equal opportunities, but not forget that we are not all actually equal.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.