First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Political correctness..
581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 10/18/15 , edited 10/20/15

Schmooples wrote:


Can't say I've seen Birth of a Nation... No idea what it is about, but it sounds really Imperialistic.


Birth of a Nation glorifies the KKK and makes them out to be heroes.

30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

sarteck wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

It's worse to be deliberately politically incorrect to prove a point.


Worse than what? Being politically correct?


Yes.
5135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/15
I think a lot of the political correctness nonsense would be rendered pointless (at least here in the US, I can't speak for other places too much) if people did not take themselves or their "identities" as seriously and were more willing to laugh at themselves and their own demographics.

I mean, take Russians for example (my family moved from Russia to the US within my lifetime): there are a lot of Russian jokes with plenty of racial, religious, and other stereotypes but the punch line of the joke is almost always about Russians themselves. People aren't really going to offend you as much when you have already said the same stuff as they do, but in a humorous manner.

A lot of the "politically correct" humor that I have heard seems to have the pervasive problems of being not funny and/or incessantly making fun of white/cis/straight/male/ whatever the PC crowd says constitutes "punching up". If I may be a bit dark: if telling a joke is like giving your girlfriend a kitten, then telling dull and repetitive jokes is like giving her several dead kittens.
Posted 10/18/15
In a world as crybaby sensitive as this, it just means stfu because even jokes can make people cry.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

sarteck wrote:

Political correctness was actually an okay thing before it became so much at the forefront of everything that you can't even tell a joke.

It basically meant, "try to avoid words that offend other people." That's a great thing, neh?

The problem became quickly apparent when everyone was offended by everything.

Therefore, fuck PC. Just get your message across, because now matter how you word it, someone will be offended.


EDIT: "that are offend," jeeze, I need to read what I type before I hit that "Post" button.



    ^ this, pretty much.

    Now everything offends everyone on every level, so I just stopped giving a shit. If it's not blatantly racist, sexist, or offensive in general, I don't care why you're butthurt.


581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

DDRussian wrote:

I think a lot of the political correctness nonsense would be rendered pointless (at least here in the US, I can't speak for other places too much) if people did not take themselves or their "identities" as seriously and were more willing to laugh at themselves and their own demographics.

I mean, take Russians for example (my family moved from Russia to the US within my lifetime): there are a lot of Russian jokes with plenty of racial, religious, and other stereotypes but the punch line of the joke is almost always about Russians themselves. People aren't really going to offend you as much when you have already said the same stuff as they do, but in a humorous manner.

A lot of the "politically correct" humor that I have heard seems to have the pervasive problems of being not funny and/or incessantly making fun of white/cis/straight/male/ whatever the PC crowd says constitutes "punching up". If I may be a bit dark: if telling a joke is like giving your girlfriend a kitten, then telling dull and repetitive jokes is like giving her several dead kittens.



I kind of agree. I do think people should be more willing to laugh at themselves. That said, there are some things you have to take into consideration. First off, there are more and more people these days who have Aspergers (or something else on the Autism Spectrum). People who have that tend to have trouble telling the difference between a joke, sarcasm, or an insult. I know this because I have Aspergers myself. Now, I can kind of tell if something is a joke if it's shown on TV or on the radio because I can listen to the tone of the voice and tell if it's supposed to be funny or not. However, if it's something written on the internet it's harder to tell because there are no audio or visual cues on it's intention. Often, I have trouble telling if someone is being a troll or if they are a straight up bigot/mean person. Of course, this varies from person to person.

Secondly, bullying is a lot more prevalent than it used to be (or at least, so it seems). While this may not apply to all bullying victims, some may have trouble finding "offensive" jokes funny if they've been excessively bullied themselves (especially if the bullies made fun of them for being different and/or the bullies made the victim into the punchline of their "joke"). I myself have been bullied when I was in middle and high school, and while my sense of humor still somewhat exists I'm a bit more touchier on certain subjects than I used to be. Sure, I may have a bigger sense of humor than those SJWs, but every now and then I would hear a joke that would make me cringe while it would make a "normal" non-bullied person laugh. I think once we deal with bullying, there will be more people with a sense of humor. Besides, I believe that at least some of the bullies who get away with it grow up to be bigots (especially the ones who bully those who are different from them). We just have to punish the bullies/potential bigots and make it know that it's not acceptable!
5135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York, USA
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

LadyPsychic wrote:
I kind of agree. I do think people should be more willing to laugh at themselves. That said, there are some things you have to take into consideration. First off, there are more and more people these days who have Aspergers (or something else on the Autism Spectrum). People who have that tend to have trouble telling the difference between a joke, sarcasm, or an insult. I know this because I have Aspergers myself. Now, I can kind of tell if something is a joke if it's shown on TV or on the radio because I can listen to the tone of the voice and tell if it's supposed to be funny or not. However, if it's something written on the internet it's harder to tell because there are no audio or visual cues on it's intention. Often, I have trouble telling if someone is being a troll or if they are a straight up bigot/mean person. Of course, this varies from person to person.

Secondly, bullying is a lot more prevalent than it used to be (or at least, so it seems). While this may not apply to all bullying victims, some may have trouble finding "offensive" jokes funny if they've been excessively bullied themselves (especially if the bullies made fun of them for being different and/or the bullies made the victim into the punchline of their "joke"). I myself have been bullied when I was in middle and high school, and while my sense of humor still somewhat exists I'm a bit more touchier on certain subjects than I used to be. Sure, I may have a bigger sense of humor than those SJWs, but every now and then I would hear a joke that would make me cringe while it would make a "normal" non-bullied person laugh. I think once we deal with bullying, there will be more people with a sense of humor. Besides, I believe that at least some of the bullies who get away with it grow up to be bigots (especially the ones who bully those who are different from them). We just have to punish the bullies/potential bigots and make it know that it's not acceptable!


I generally agree with your sentiment. To clarify, my personal policy on jokes is to never make them about individuals (public figures are the exception), and be fairly general with the groups I mention (i.e. "A British guy, a French guy, and a Russian guy" are a common trio). While I don't have any disorders, I also dislike having jokes directed at me personally, so the jokes I am talking about are more impersonal.

As for bullying, I don't think it has increased, it has just become more of a public issue. Much of my middle and high school history involved being ostracized or bullied while the teachers do little or nothing to help. In this case, I would say (again) that jokes targeting individuals or genuinely sensitive issues (i.e. knowingly joking about family deaths to someone who has gone through one recently). There are obviously situations where a joke is not funny and can be hurtful. There is always a degree of social etiquette that any humor has to follow, my point was that said social etiquette should not include rules like "any joke about black people is racist", and that jokes that are not directed at individuals should not be taken as offensive unless there is discernible malice present (i.e. from bullying, racism, etc.).

Also, I don't think that any sort of political correctness conventions would have any effect on bullying in schools anyway. Really, I think the only way to stop bullying in schools is to crack down harder on both the behavior and any authorities who ignore it (i.e. fines on parents of children who bully others, or on schools who fail to act against it, "hit them in the wallet" as I like to say).
995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/19/15
you know, technically you don't need a wish to use a racial slur
120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/19/15
Oh my, what have I started?
581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 10/19/15 , edited 10/19/15

DDRussian wrote:
I generally agree with your sentiment. To clarify, my personal policy on jokes is to never make them about individuals (public figures are the exception), and be fairly general with the groups I mention (i.e. "A British guy, a French guy, and a Russian guy" are a common trio). While I don't have any disorders, I also dislike having jokes directed at me personally, so the jokes I am talking about are more impersonal.

As for bullying, I don't think it has increased, it has just become more of a public issue. Much of my middle and high school history involved being ostracized or bullied while the teachers do little or nothing to help. In this case, I would say (again) that jokes targeting individuals or genuinely sensitive issues (i.e. knowingly joking about family deaths to someone who has gone through one recently). There are obviously situations where a joke is not funny and can be hurtful. There is always a degree of social etiquette that any humor has to follow, my point was that said social etiquette should not include rules like "any joke about black people is racist", and that jokes that are not directed at individuals should not be taken as offensive unless there is discernible malice present (i.e. from bullying, racism, etc.).

Also, I don't think that any sort of political correctness conventions would have any effect on bullying in schools anyway. Really, I think the only way to stop bullying in schools is to crack down harder on both the behavior and any authorities who ignore it (i.e. fines on parents of children who bully others, or on schools who fail to act against it, "hit them in the wallet" as I like to say).


I agree with you. Maybe you're right that bullying hasn't increased and that it wasn't such a public issue until recently (since people didn't really care about it back in the so called "Good Ole Days"). And you're right that jokes shouldn't be taken as offensive unless it's definitely malicious. Then again, as I said there are times when it's difficult to tell (especially when you have Aspergers).

And yes, parents of bullies and school that allow bullying (especially if the teacher joins in on the bullying) should be punished by fines.

12053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / bakersfield CA
Offline
Posted 10/19/15
i doubt anyone will ever be really correct... too many variables to consider. first we have to rid of rascism,ethnicity pride, mental frustration, blatant disregard of others problems sickness and all other negatives from the world. i mean if you got bullied for being born wrong is bad to hating those who bullied you? are the people who hate wrong for having bad childhoods? what if they suffer from some form of illness or they lost something recently? its only human nature to want to vent frustration and it comes from our ancestry to become aggressive if something goes wrong or is bad. idk i just try to not use anything thats just rude or mean anymore but im sure i offend people just for dressing a certain way or wiping my bum to long. point is dont expect to problems ever really go away since there will always be problems even once we solve them im sure more problems will surface.i hope one day there wont be any bad things but i doubt ill see it in my lifetime since too many wrong things in the world. i also agree from one of the posts point the only way to correctness would be a world where we think of fun is gone and only boring things ever really happens no dark humor mean jokes or anything. not even jealousy or competitiveness. sounds really boring once you say out loud
41651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/19/15
I am white cisscum. That apparently outdoes my disprivileges of being mentally ill and developmentally ill, so I am still Princessa Oppressa. I also frequent r/tumblrinaction. All the fucks I don't give to being called white cisscum.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

LadyPsychic wrote:
And yes, parents of bullies and school that allow bullying (especially if the teacher joins in on the bullying) should be punished by fines.


Absolutely disagree.

"Bullying" is one of the vague buzzwords nowadays that can mean as little as "they didn't like something about me!"

I've seen people called bullies for commenting that they dislike a song, or for laughing at someone's joke that someone else was offended by, or just for plain old telling a person, "I don't like you."

With that in mind, trying to police such a thing while disregarding those inane little things would be an effort in futility, and rightly so.
581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

sarteck wrote:


LadyPsychic wrote:
And yes, parents of bullies and school that allow bullying (especially if the teacher joins in on the bullying) should be punished by fines.


Absolutely disagree.

"Bullying" is one of the vague buzzwords nowadays that can mean as little as "they didn't like something about me!"

I've seen people called bullies for commenting that they dislike a song, or for laughing at someone's joke that someone else was offended by, or just for plain old telling a person, "I don't like you."

With that in mind, trying to police such a thing while disregarding those inane little things would be an effort in futility, and rightly so.


I haven't heard of anyone who called someone a bully just because they disliked a song. Where did you see that? Tumblur? (I don't frequent Tumblur and I heard that a lot of people there are ultra-sensitive or something.)

So, you think it's futile to fine the parents and the schools, eh? Then what are we supposed to do? Nothing? Just sit on our butts and just watch people get bullied or insulted or become victims of bigots and do nothing to stop it?! I'm sorry but I can't just do nothing. Even if it's futile we have to do something!!!! Maybe it's because I'm a mental minority (as I said, Aspergers) or maybe it's because I was bullied myself, but I've developed a sense of justice over the years. I can't see injustice done by bullying or bigotry and not demand that something should be done about the bigots and bullies! And sure, maybe some cases are over exaggerated or even an innocent person mistaken for a bigot/bully, but what about the legit cases of people being bullied and/or bigoted against? The bullies and bigots must be punished someway or somehow or they'll just keep on doing it over and over again!

3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/15 , edited 10/20/15

LadyPsychic wrote:
I haven't heard of anyone who called someone a bully just because they disliked a song. Where did you see that? Tumblur? (I don't frequent Tumblur and I heard that a lot of people there are ultra-sensitive or something.)

So, you think it's futile to fine the parents and the schools, eh? Then what are we supposed to do? Nothing? Just sit on our butts and just watch people get bullied or insulted or become victims of bigots and do nothing to stop it?! I'm sorry but I can't just do nothing. Even if it's futile we have to do something!!!! Maybe it's because I'm a mental minority (as I said, Aspergers) or maybe it's because I was bullied myself, but I've developed a sense of justice over the years. I can't see injustice done by bullying or bigotry and not demand that something should be done about the bigots and bullies! And sure, maybe some cases are over exaggerated or even an innocent person mistaken for a bigot/bully, but what about the legit cases of people being bullied and/or bigoted against? The bullies and bigots must be punished someway or somehow or they'll just keep on doing it over and over again!



What are you supposed to do?

If someone actually does something to you that's against a rule or a law, then there are ways to deal with it by reproting it to the correct authorities.

I can't really take your "bigots" lines seriously, because as we already discussed, you don't really know the meaning of the term.

Also, I honestly don't care about your Assburgers, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up every post.

I know this will sound strange to you, but every single person you're speaking with right now has too developed a sense of justice. It's weird, right?

Again, though, where are you going to draw the line? "Anyone who is mean to another kid should have their parents fined?" Because you honestly think that "bigots" means "people being mean," as per your own post, earlier.

Sorry, that's just retarded.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.