First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
NEW POLICY ABOUT SHOW ANTICIPATION AND DISCUSSION THREADS
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

stark700 wrote:

I don't remember exactly when CR became much more active for its anime section. Back in 2012, I only remember that SAO and Another being the only topics that generated discussion that actually became engaging with its community. A few of the people there are still around these days. Anticipation threads did not exist back then and I don't believe they appeared until around Fall 2013 which is exactly almost 2 years ago. I remember a few months ago when the months restriction thing was also removed. Honestly, that rule was controversial to the core. There was never rules about anime discussion topics in the first place and everything seemed more natural as people just adapted with it. These new policies goes against that.

Again about the sub-boards, it really is not going to work. Let's be honest here, how many people here actually visit the boards and discuss there? I haven't been to Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, etc in sub boards in a long time. And while the tabs idea might work at first for a few weeks, it will most likely be visited only by regulars. As time goes on, it will eventually lose prestige and be forgotten. I can assure that they will be empty like zendude has mentioned.

As for the spoiler thing, all forums has rules on this. This should be common logic:

If someone sees a spoiler, they should just report it or pm the user (not quote because that would also include the spoiler) and tell them to edit their post or remove it. Or otherwise, they could discuss it in the appropriate board. I didn't visit the Fate boards much either except when news or a new episode came out. Never really had a problem with it there myself but I think it's understandable that some people might have a problem with it.

I strongly support the episode linking idea though. It not only give people the chance to see exactly when a new episode is out but also where a discussion begins especially for some topics that has many posts prior to the first/pre-aired episode. It should also be fairly either to link them (only have to do it once anyways).


zendude wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

This is a fine idea.


I blame Stark. "LAWL"


SUP ZENDUDE, nice to see you around again.




Speaking of threads and all, I wonder how the people who had CR since '06 felt? Was there even a forum section back then? I say this because I once knew someone that had a CR account back then and it was nothing compared to what it is now! Also, i've been here since 2013, but I didn't start picking up the forum section until early this year, so that's crazy!
63528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/19/15 , edited 10/19/15

lorreen wrote:

Here's what I think. Basically, and partly because of, the direct links to threads on Crunchy's home page, most people interested in the forums do land more easily in General Discussion or Anime. It seems to be the more natural place for folks to gather and therefore became central place for specific show threads alongside the more general anime-related threads.


I understand that's how it works since that's just how the forum is designed, but honestly, the forums need to be updated. There's ways to make it more easily navigable to find subforums, but the way it is now, it's a mess. If it was set up and enforced like how it was on MAL I guarantee more people would use it. Also on a show's homepage, there's one tiny button at the bottom linking to the show's subforum. It should be in big font up top the page. Also it's no wonder no one goes into the subforums because they're hidden and not easily accessible: the search function blows, when you click "forums" you only get a link to the Anime subforum and there's no way of knowing that there is actually subforums, "By Series" literally I didn't even bother to click that until months after I started using the forums, etc.. See what I mean? It's just completely centered around the main Anime forum, so no wonder no one uses the subforums! And yes, updating the tabs probably wouldn't be a sufficient solution, but the entire forum itself should be updated so it's easier to find subforums. But let's be honest, that'll probably never happen at this rate so I guess talking about it is useless.

I'd also wouldn't mind CKD's idea of having the anime section split in two or three parts: General Anime (tourneys, industry stuff,), Anime News (rumors, news), and Discussion/Anticipation threads (self explanatory). Or you can just combine General Anime and Anime News, and have the discussion/anticipation threads all in one spot where it's easy to find.

Honestly, CKD's idea would probably be the easiest to do.

If that were to happen, it should also be allowed for anticipation threads to morph into discussion threads since it just makes sense having one thread. As much I like to joke about beating Stark, the guy is committed and gets the job done fast and efficiently and there's no problem with that.

Honestly, probably the only thing that would change if both anticipation and discussion were separated is Stark having to do more work with the occasional outlier thread maker that may not even make a nice looking discussion thread.

Anyways, it's shame that none of us can contact people from the development team. I sent a complaint through the support service, but I haven't heard back from them since that probably isn't their expertise (worth a try though).

We really need web designers to come and give the forums a new fresh skin, but who knows when the hell that'll happen
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/19/15 , edited 10/19/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

We really need web designers to come and give the forums a new fresh skin, but who knows when the hell that'll happen


Yeah I'm not holding my breath on that either, lol. It's by far the most outdated portion of the website. I was kind of hoping that the Chernin Group acquisition would make a difference. But apparently no dice haha.

I just can't imagine that it's good to be using this 10 year old code base.
Guardian of A/M/P
65278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

stark700 wrote:


zendude wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

This is a fine idea.


I blame Stark. "LAWL"


SUP ZENDUDE, nice to see you around again.



You know I love ya. "LAWL"
104093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 10/19/15

JuJu26 wrote:


stark700 wrote:

I don't remember exactly when CR became much more active for its anime section. Back in 2012, I only remember that SAO and Another being the only topics that generated discussion that actually became engaging with its community. A few of the people there are still around these days. Anticipation threads did not exist back then and I don't believe they appeared until around Fall 2013 which is exactly almost 2 years ago. I remember a few months ago when the months restriction thing was also removed. Honestly, that rule was controversial to the core. There was never rules about anime discussion topics in the first place and everything seemed more natural as people just adapted with it. These new policies goes against that.

Again about the sub-boards, it really is not going to work. Let's be honest here, how many people here actually visit the boards and discuss there? I haven't been to Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, etc in sub boards in a long time. And while the tabs idea might work at first for a few weeks, it will most likely be visited only by regulars. As time goes on, it will eventually lose prestige and be forgotten. I can assure that they will be empty like zendude has mentioned.

As for the spoiler thing, all forums has rules on this. This should be common logic:

If someone sees a spoiler, they should just report it or pm the user (not quote because that would also include the spoiler) and tell them to edit their post or remove it. Or otherwise, they could discuss it in the appropriate board. I didn't visit the Fate boards much either except when news or a new episode came out. Never really had a problem with it there myself but I think it's understandable that some people might have a problem with it.

I strongly support the episode linking idea though. It not only give people the chance to see exactly when a new episode is out but also where a discussion begins especially for some topics that has many posts prior to the first/pre-aired episode. It should also be fairly either to link them (only have to do it once anyways).


zendude wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

This is a fine idea.


I blame Stark. "LAWL"


SUP ZENDUDE, nice to see you around again.




Speaking of threads and all, I wonder how the people who had CR since '06 felt? Was there even a forum section back then? I say this because I once knew someone that had a CR account back then and it was nothing compared to what it is now! Also, i've been here since 2013, but I didn't start picking up the forum section until early this year, so that's crazy!


less stickies
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/19/15 , edited 10/20/15

AnimeKami wrote:

less stickies


Haha, I bet so! Interesting!
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

FLjerry2011 wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

I'm glad this is being introduced. I'm extremely tired of seeing weekly episode discussions being derailed by people who have read/played the original source material. You should however introduce more franchise threads where that discussion can occur. The more certain topics are compartmentalised the easier people will be able to access the specific topic which they are interested in discussing with less confusion and thread de-railing.


I think this should be another topic that should be seperate ! But I wiil comment

I got off the Fate Stay Nite because it wanted to make me puke! It was overkill but readers get annoyed too with unknowing anime only fans!

I do agree spoilers should be used but the it is annoying that anime only viewer gets into dissing a show w / o really knowing what is in the source ! Thats kinda ruins the forums for me too The Anime only Know it Alls !

Like I said I try my hardest to spoil but ther there is also our side of the coin !

Also if the paying members get to watch the Ep they should be able to talk about it ! I have seen non-members post their thoughts a week later and read them too ! So I dont get the amgst!


Well the whole point of an adaptation is that it is meant to be its own separate entity and not reliant on the source material. If a show requires you to seek out the original material to understand or appreciate something then that is the sign that it has failed as an adaptation. Though that is besides the point, if yo really feel you have to interject with your holy source material knowledge in order to show an anime-only what's up, at least just do it like "Oh just wait and see, your mind will be changed" rather than rampaging on someone for simply not already knowing what is going to happen. Also, if you are going to go into depths about events that are not present knowledge in the timeline of the anime you need to use a spoiler tag. This is why I'd prefer their to be more franchise threads. Of course there will always be overlap and people will want to discuss how something in the anime is in comparison to the original source material and that should be fine on the anime discussion thread. However, as soon as it goes into major spoiler territory it should be moved to franchise discussion.
41366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

Balzack wrote:


FLjerry2011 wrote:

I use to have fun creating a show page but I get beat out all the time ! KInda of took the fun away.

I stopped doing it because even if you think you typed in a good search the show did not come up you create a Show Discuusion and you get sometimes I thought an attitude reply even if was an accidental oversight so it ruined for me

Maybe There Should Be A Show Limit a person could create 2 to 5 IDK ? Leave some crumbs once in awhile !

I think you raise an interesting point. Generally in a forum, the OP of a thread will tend to lurk that thread more than others. I remember engaging in a lot of the discussions in your (and other peoples) threads back in the day. And I honestly don't see a big difference between the ones you used to make, and the ones we've seen recently. They're all functionally identical. But the difference is that more people had a greater stake in them. Which in turn, drove more interest to the anime forums.

I certainly don't think people need post limits in place though since that would be a bit of a draconian rule, and I won't fault someone for making a ton of threads since it is purely a benefit for the community. Hell, I know that I certainly wouldn't want to bother to do all that research leg work! But it's food for thought on why this change might not end up being all that bad.


I am not angry at people doing hard work more power to them >

Are we making a bigger deal out of this then we should ? I have gone on show discussions and after a few weeks a lot of people complain / drop the shows and there is little or no interest at all ! I came here to watch anime maybe we should be left alone sometimes unless it's totally out of control ! I just think CR itself needs some new staff / MGMT / IDEAS !

I have not been impressed after Chernin got onboard ! There were a lot of naysayers and I think the anime portion has not grown at all / and I dont mean the number of shows just the homey welcome here has gone away and feels like a machine !( Pink Floyd was correct )

Another thought maybe CR anime should be a seperate website / Then the true anime fans would have a home again!

You would think if their is an operating issue why do we have general discuusion forum / let them go On Fakebook ( BTW a great song ) or Twitless ( a play on senseless) ! Just have anime / manga / drama / help forums !

I have seen some shows discuusions where nobody comments at all ! So I think a lot of knee-jerk reaction is happening ! I see you post a lot but people jump on the bandwagon and like to stir things up ! Then you dont see them in the show threads !

63528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

Balzack wrote:

Yeah I'm not holding my breath on that either, lol. It's by far the most outdated portion of the website. I was kind of hoping that the Chernin Group acquisition would make a difference. But apparently no dice haha.

I just can't imagine that it's good to be using this 10 year old code base.



FLjerry2011 wrote:

Are we making a bigger deal out of this then we should ? I have gone on show discussions and after a few weeks a lot of people complain / drop the shows and there is little or no interest at all ! I came here to watch anime maybe we should be left alone sometimes unless it's totally out of control ! I just think CR itself needs some new staff / MGMT / IDEAS !

I have not been impressed after Chernin got onboard ! There were a lot of naysayers and I think the anime portion has not grown at all / and I dont mean the number of shows just the homey welcome here has gone away and feels like a machine !( Pink Floyd was correct )



I agree with you guys, The Chermin Group deal doesn't seem it's been beneficial at all! What exactly have they even done for CR? We barely even hear from them and what they want to do with CR. There is one quote from CR's CEO talking about the Chermin's investment: “will allow us to provide an even better experience and service for anime producers and fans worldwide.”

There probably has been improvements in licensing and site functionality, but forums and the site itself hasn't really changed too much. I'm looking over at MAL and they now have a development team because of DeNA (the new owners of MAL; it's also interesting that DeNA partnered up with Nintendo). DeNA's funds are probably not nearly as deep as the Chermin's pockets, but they are improving MAL with the new development team little by little. MAL is changing now and I think it's for the better.

And now even licensing has become more competitive with extra efforts from Funi, Hulu, Netflix, and now Daisuki. Their competitors are progressing, but CR has barely changed since 2012/2013. Funi has announced on Twitter they are also revamping their entire site again! Even after the April update (I swear to god I read this from their Twitter, but I can't find it atm so I guess take that with a grain of salt).

I think the biggest site change I've seen on this site since I joined in 2013 was the simulcasts being put on top of the front page and news being put lower down the page. THAT'S IT. Oh ya, simulcast calendar too.

So I wonder just how much Chermin is actually investing in CR/how much help are they providing them. We've barely heard anything about the Chermin Group since they bought CR. What are they even doing to help this site and licensing? And what is CR doing to improve community services like the forums!? Over the past 2 years, it's been pretty stagnate it seems. Forums have basically gotten no love at all leaving the mods having to deal with outdated services. Which is probably one of the reasons why this new policy has been brought upon us because the mods are trying to issue some type of change since the higher ups won't change anything themselves.

CR really should hire more people to help manage the site. More web designers specifically. Hell, we barely even have that many mods for the forums! Lorreen (primarily) and MK is the sole mod for the english anime forum. That is just outrageous!

I will say though CR's mobile app is great, that seems to be getting all the attention from them it seems!
43650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

LoomyTheBrew wrote:
So I wonder just how much Chermin is actually investing in CR/how much help are they providing them.


This is what a Venture Capitalist does (or hopes to do).

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/venture-capitalist.html

Just like the japanese companies who make the Anime, they aren't in it for artistic or altruistic reasons. Businesses need to make money to stay in business. The businesses who make money by buying and selling other businesses are perhaps a bit more aggressive than ones who are simply started out trying to make a buck by providing a basic service directly to the consumers.
31958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
I am neutral about this change.

I'll say though the only thing really keeping me from participating in either anticipation or discussion is the very frequent spoilers from source material. I'd love to discuss a show that's simulcasting without constant "Oh, just wait until next episode that's when stuff goes down" or "don't get too attached to that character guys ..." sorts of comments. I can only engage in original series.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/15 , edited 10/20/15
Oh, I wasn't thinking about subforums. Those are empty.
I was thinking about linking the tabs directly to the Anticipation and discussion threads.
Like the anime section on the front page.
The usual format for an AandD thread is " _____ Anticipation and Discussion " So, like, by looking for the keywords "Anticipation and Discussion" in a title, The thread could get flagged for a link to it to be placed in the tab section for easy access instead of needing to scroll down or look back a page.
And then they get updated by most recent post, so the active ones stay at the top for their season.

If there are no designers working on this though, that suggestion's a pipe dream.
And if it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea.
Linking to episodes in the threads themselves though, isn't a pipe dream. That takes either the thread creator or a mod to keep tabs on the Anticipation threads and place links in their post.

Placing a link to an AandD thread on the episode page itself might achieve a similar result.
20850 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/21/15
I remember the days when there were no specific anticipation thread and a thread would be mercilessly closed if it was opened even a little before the first episode's air time. I liked that system, we should go back to it... just joking.


As for the current policy change, I don't really think it will matter that much. In both the new and about-to-be-old policy, there is only one thread for active general discussion about a series, which I agree with given the current structure of the forums. Now the mods have to crack down on discussion threads in favor of necro'ing old anticipation threads, in the future they'll have to perform moderator actions with old anticipation threads in favor of new discussion threads. Seems about the same to me either way. (Note: I skimmed, but did not fully read, the other comments in this thread, so my comments are not really a reply to anything but the opening post).


If I were to ignore the current technical limitations of the forums and come up with the system that I thought was best... (spoilered for space)

43650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/21/15

hatguy12 wrote:
If I were to ignore the current technical limitations of the forums and come up with the system that I thought was best... then I would probably give every series their own subforum once it has aired, allow multiple threads in the subforum (probably one for each episode too), and have those subforums float based on activity as entries in the Anime forum alongside general Anime threads. Anticipation threads would be single threads in the main Anime forum until the show aired, and then moved inside the newly created subforum afterwards without needing to be locked. And because the subforums would be floating based on recent post activity alongside general threads and anticipation in the Anime forum, it would keep recent posts/discussion in them visible.


But that system already does exist, and basically no one uses it.... /forum/series/anime

And here's a post I made a long time ago using Log Horizon to illustrate just how that could work with one thread per episode, just as you suggest... /forumtopic-838989/episode-19

Maybe because it isn't obvious on how to get there, I guess... also, that only works for shows here, because CR is focusing on their own content only. I think that's one reason they got rid of the old watch list function...
63528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/21/15

asharka wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:
So I wonder just how much Chermin is actually investing in CR/how much help are they providing them.


This is what a Venture Capitalist does (or hopes to do).

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/venture-capitalist.html

Just like the japanese companies who make the Anime, they aren't in it for artistic or altruistic reasons. Businesses need to make money to stay in business. The businesses who make money by buying and selling other businesses are perhaps a bit more aggressive than ones who are simply started out trying to make a buck by providing a basic service directly to the consumers.


Ah, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Makes sense, but the way CR's CEO made it sound like and how Chermin said CR would be a great addition to their entertainment category (they've also invested in Hulu), I thought maybe there was going to be a little more to help them.

But them being a venture capitalist in this context makes sense to buy in and make a profit later, but that means they are planning on selling CR's shares? When they picked up CR, CR was in a pretty good position with rapidly growing subscribers and support from TV Tokyo. So are they waiting till CR gets even bigger and then sell the shares for a lot more money than they bought them for?

Because I bet CR has met its IPO already.... Just to me, it doesn't seem like CR has changed dramatically from 2013 except for minor site changes and new subscription types. CR has seem pretty stagnate.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.