First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Who's The most wasteful person you've ever met?
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

AsukaAyanami wrote:

To answer the actual question, I am pretty bad. I mess up my cooking experiments to the point of making not edible stuff sometimes. >.> And I... buy bottled water. *Cries in a corner.. drinks bottled water to re-hydrate for more tears*. I contradicted myself. Deal.


I'm the same with cooking experiments. I end up making more than I can eat too with them because I like to use a lot of different ingredients and forget that they add up. Using half of a vegetable like a carrot would seem weird to me and no matter what I make, I have to use the same amount of mushrooms, which is a lot. x_x
659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/18/15
My little brother Takashi... He is the only one who would throw away a $250 phone rather than sell it or give it to someone, he's thrown away 8 phones already, about $2000 worth of electronics...
48425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 10/18/15
My little cousins waste so much food. It's a shame because our ancestors were starving back in the day.
238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Village Hidde...
Offline
Posted 10/18/15
You SurvivingHorror. You wasted space with this topic. Joking aside, I've seen countless relatives blow a ton of money on cigarettes. So there's that.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/15 , edited 10/18/15
Chinese and American people in general. I notice a lot of them:




Seriously. How hard is it to:


Wastefulness isn't even a problem exclusive to only the wealthy. I've seen so many wasteful poor people. Like, geez, no wonder you're poor. Hey, WTF, middle-class guy. How are you still wealthy, rich person?
6096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/15


No that's fine. It really paints a picture of what that person is like. I read what else you said, and I find it really messed up that he would bully you because of your lack of religion, but stomp burgers in front of a homeless person.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

Morbidhanson wrote:
Seriously. How hard is it to:

1. CHECK OUT YOUR OWN FRIDGE AND PANTRY TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE LEFT!

2. NOT buy more than you can eat and drink.

3. Throw organic remains into a bucket and keep a hole and shovel in your garden.

4. Finish all the food on your plate.

5. Recognize that a little bit of waste is still waste.


2. This is difficult in some cases. Specifically in restaurants I'm not familiar with. Once I brought garlic bread and a pizza thinking it would be fine. The garlic bread was a damn garlic pizza or something. It said no where that it was like this. Safe to say I couldn't stomach another whole damn pizza after that. I wasn't in a situation where I could take it away either.

3. Some people don't have gardens, and in my country, they charge you for a compost bin despite selling the compost they get from it.

4. Throwing up is a lot more wasteful in my opinion.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

SurvivingHorror wrote:

No that's fine. It really paints a picture of what that person is like. I read what else you said, and I find it really messed up that he would bully you because of your lack of religion, but stomp burgers in front of a homeless person.


Yeah... I always try to be an accepting, nonjudgmental person. Honestly, I often toot my own horn about it... But I find it so hard with people like that. I can't understand it at all. It's just completely heartless to see someone, to know they are hungry, and to just rub their face in it. To waste what they need. To be so unhelpful as to actually contribute to them staying down...

It saddens me and makes me wish I punched him in the face. But I have to remember that he is a human, that circumstances (somehow) made him who he was or is, and that I can't judge or hate because I am not him. So then all I'm left with is the sadness.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/15 , edited 10/18/15

Buckerss wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:
Seriously. How hard is it to:

1. CHECK OUT YOUR OWN FRIDGE AND PANTRY TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE LEFT!

2. NOT buy more than you can eat and drink.

3. Throw organic remains into a bucket and keep a hole and shovel in your garden.

4. Finish all the food on your plate.

5. Recognize that a little bit of waste is still waste.


2. This is difficult in some cases. Specifically in restaurants I'm not familiar with. Once I brought garlic bread and a pizza thinking it would be fine. The garlic bread was a damn garlic pizza or something. It said no where that it was like this. Safe to say I couldn't stomach another whole damn pizza after that. I wasn't in a situation where I could take it away either.

3. Some people don't have gardens, and in my country, they charge you for a compost bin despite selling the compost they get from it.

4. Throwing up is a lot more wasteful in my opinion.


2 is pretty easy. Even if you can't eliminate waste, you can reduce it by having this in the back of your mind. It's no excuse for throwing away a half-finished meal unless you absolutely cannot take it or finish it.

3 is understandably impossible without a garden. You require a garden in order to follow it easily. So when I see someone who has a garden and they're still so wasteful, I wonder. I live in the US so I don't know your laws. Still, it's better, IMO, to use your own compost and do it yourself so you can gain a benefit from using the compost. You're only giving the waste management company more money by allowing them to have your organic waste. I'm guessing you need to pay for the bin either way. So at least get a benefit by composting for your own garden veggies. At home, we have a mandatory garden waste bin. But we rarely use it, since we compost most garden waste that isn't branches and we get to enjoy delicious homegrown things.

4. You won't throw up if you are smart and actually thinking about 2 when you are ordering. Take it to-go if you can't finish it. Easy. How often do you see people throw up from eating too much? Compare that to how often you see people leave half-eaten food at the restaurant? You can handle 3-4 more bites. If you absolutely can't due to physical limitations, that means the amount you ordered grossly exceeded the amount you were able to eat. Not excused.

EVERY point is difficult in some marginal circumstance. The truth is they are not hard guidelines to follow in general at all. I'm not religious, but my grandma told me a few supernatural tales about going to the aftelife. It's said that the God of Earth will trap you before you can go to your afterlife if you are wasteful. There, you will have to eat all the food you wasted in your life, except it has been rotting all those years, waiting for your spirit. You have to finish all you have wasted before passing on.

I don't believe the story, but it does show how seriously we take wastefulness around here.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

2 is pretty easy. Even if you can't eliminate waste, you can reduce it by having this in the back of your mind. It's no excuse for throwing away a half-finished meal unless you absolutely cannot take it or finish it.

3 is understandably impossible without a garden. You require a garden in order to follow it easily. So when I see someone who has a garden and they're still so wasteful, I wonder. I live in the US so I don't know your laws. Still, it's better, IMO, to use your own compost and do it yourself so you can gain a benefit from using the compost. You're only giving the waste management company more money by allowing them to have your organic waste. I'm guessing you need to pay for the bin either way. So at least get a benefit by composting for your own garden veggies.

4. You won't throw up if you are smart and actually thinking about 2 when you are ordering. Take it to-go if you can't finish it. Easy. How often do you see people throw up from eating too much? Compare that to how often you see people leave half-eaten food at the restaurant? You can handle 3-4 more bites. If you can't, that means the amount you ordered grossly exceeded the amount you were able to eat. Not excused.

EVERY point is difficult in some marginal circumstance. The truth is they are not hard guidelines to follow in general at all.


In my case this ultimately tells me to never ever eat out and risk food going off by only half using them and hope I can use the other half later. Otherwise I might risk wasting food. I personally don't have control of number 3 either way and even if I could, I doubt I'd be in a situation where I'd have a garden, money to use on giving away compost, or be able to use the compost myself.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/15 , edited 10/18/15

Buckerss wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:

2 is pretty easy. Even if you can't eliminate waste, you can reduce it by having this in the back of your mind. It's no excuse for throwing away a half-finished meal unless you absolutely cannot take it or finish it.

3 is understandably impossible without a garden. You require a garden in order to follow it easily. So when I see someone who has a garden and they're still so wasteful, I wonder. I live in the US so I don't know your laws. Still, it's better, IMO, to use your own compost and do it yourself so you can gain a benefit from using the compost. You're only giving the waste management company more money by allowing them to have your organic waste. I'm guessing you need to pay for the bin either way. So at least get a benefit by composting for your own garden veggies.

4. You won't throw up if you are smart and actually thinking about 2 when you are ordering. Take it to-go if you can't finish it. Easy. How often do you see people throw up from eating too much? Compare that to how often you see people leave half-eaten food at the restaurant? You can handle 3-4 more bites. If you can't, that means the amount you ordered grossly exceeded the amount you were able to eat. Not excused.

EVERY point is difficult in some marginal circumstance. The truth is they are not hard guidelines to follow in general at all.


In my case this ultimately tells me to never ever eat out and risk food going off by only half using them and hope I can use the other half later. Otherwise I might risk wasting food. I personally don't have control of number 3 either way and even if I could, I doubt I'd be in a situation where I'd have a garden, money to use on giving away compost, or be able to use the compost myself.


You can eat out. But it doesn't make sense to do so every single day and allow the leftovers to accumulate the the point that they spoil in the fridge. So many people do this and I don't get it. Just skip a few days of going out to eat the leftovers. Save money this way, too.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/18/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

You can eat out. But it doesn't make sense to do so every single day and allow the leftovers to accumulate the the point that they spoil in the fridge. So many people do this and I don't get it. Just skip a few days of going out to eat the leftovers. Save money this way, too.


Oh I barely eat out. Only when I have to. I can go a long time without eating, or living on simple foods like shortbread. The main reason leftovers generally go off when they do is because I miss days eating sometimes. That and other people buying food and then relying on me to eat it instead of using it themselves. I'd have more control over that if I were alone. Either way I don't eat much.
Posted 10/18/15

IkusaTakuma wrote:

My little brother Takashi... He is the only one who would throw away a $250 phone rather than sell it or give it to someone, he's thrown away 8 phones already, about $2000 worth of electronics...



How is this kid getting so many phones to trash?
Posted 10/18/15

IkusaTakuma wrote:

My little brother Takashi... He is the only one who would throw away a $250 phone rather than sell it or give it to someone, he's thrown away 8 phones already, about $2000 worth of electronics...


Why does he keep getting such expensive phones if he just throws them away? I think your parents are more wasteful than him.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/15
I'm pretty wasteful about certain things.

I can't wipe mouth with a napkin in the same place more than once, even if there really isn't anything on the napkin. I wipe my mouth after every bite. So, I always grab tons of napkins. They all get used, but probably not necessarily. Usually this is restricted to public, though. At home, I do not feel compelled to wipe my mouth so often.

My hands also have to be completely dry after washing, so I use a lot of paper towels, there. Air dryers just piss me off, but I do use them when I am forced.

I can't drink after anyone, even a partner. So, if someone drinks after me, I let them have the entire drink. However, many times, if I leave a room with other people in it and come back, I can't get over the feeling that someone MAY have drank after me, so I have to throw it out or give it to someone.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.