First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll vs Hulu vs Netflix in anime streams
22709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
CR is my preferred provider

Funimation and Hulu are about the same
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/15 , edited 10/22/15
I mainly use my PC or Macbook Pro for streaming shows, and my Galaxy Note 3 everywhere else...I'm usually watching stuff in 1080p whenever it's supported, and don't have cable, so I watch what I want, when I want. Love Anime, and a little bit of everything else once in awhile. Like reading too, but was never into buying paper comics, just enough have much time, money or place to stash them all lol.

CR and Netflix, occasionally Hulu but dropped my sub a couple months ago because I didn't think $10 for a Plus account could be justified from their selection for anime only, but other shows makes the price worth it...depends on what you watch, and I'm not super crazy about cable TV shows, although I go through phases.

Netflix's website interface is better, bc I like their search engine and how they offer more recommendations relative to what you watch. I've gotten into many awesome shows just by stumbling on them. If CR implemented that in a similar way, it would be even better. Some anime shows are on Netflix that CR doesn't have, like Samurai Champloo...one of my favorite short series. and Obviously they also have movies. Their Android interface is ok, if I'm watching a series their mobile doesn't have a skip button in the taskbar to go right to the next episode, gets kind of annoying navigating the menus each time if I'm binge watching something. One thing that bothers me about anime on Netflix is a lot of shows that aren't even close to including the complete series...like Naruto and Shippuden, which I just caught up to over the past couple weeks. I started there, then went to CR. Had this issue with other shows in the past, like Bleach.

CR has the largest anime selection, Manga, streaming quality, and features are aimed more at the audience, and there's the store which is pretty cool...creates more of a fan-base target instead of a viewer target... to me that makes it the best value of the three for anime. Honestly I think their Android interface is the best of all three, it's laid out and organized really well, using a Galaxy note 3. If I swtch from my PC to my phone in the middle of a show, they're almost perfectly in sync. Vice versa, you obviously refresh the page...However i always have to adjust the volume inside the video interface after skipping to the next episode. Ticky-Tacky, but could be simple to fix.

But, I haven't really needed to dig around for other streaming sites, I'm pretty cautious especially when it comes to watching anything online, and it's not like the mid 2000's with the Limewire, and "free this and that" sites all over the place... Annoying ads are one thing, and an insecure site is on a completely different level...especially when people can be steadfast in just trying to watch something for free, and nowadays more people are aware of protecting their material, or luring ignorant people into downloading bogus crap.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
CR all the way

I hate Hulu with a passion and Netflix mostly has dubs.
23 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
I don't really like Hulu (on account that I don't use it much) but my main provider for anime is definitely CR. I use Netflix only to watch Psycho-Pass but it's high quality and the subtitles don't block the anime as much as CR does.
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 10/22/15

Nogara-san wrote:

I hate Hulu with a passion and Netflix mostly has dubs.

When was the last time you actually checked on the anime at Netflix? Much of their library is now selectable dub/sub (at least in the US).

405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NC
Offline
Posted 10/22/15

mater713 wrote:

I mainly use my PC or Macbook Pro for streaming shows, and my Galaxy Note 3 everywhere else...I'm usually watching stuff in 1080p whenever it's supported, and don't have cable, so I watch what I want, when I want. Love Anime, and a little bit of everything else once in awhile. Like reading too, but was never into buying paper comics, just enough have much time, money or place to stash them all lol.

CR and Netflix, occasionally Hulu but dropped my sub a couple months ago because I didn't think $10 for a Plus account could be justified from their selection for anime only, but other shows makes the price worth it...depends on what you watch, and I'm not super crazy about cable TV shows, although I go through phases.

Netflix's website interface is better, bc I like their search engine and how they offer more recommendations relative to what you watch. I've gotten into many awesome shows just by stumbling on them. If CR implemented that in a similar way, it would be even better. Some anime shows are on Netflix that CR doesn't have, like Samurai Champloo...one of my favorite short series. and Obviously they also have movies. Their Android interface is ok, if I'm watching a series their mobile doesn't have a skip button in the taskbar to go right to the next episode, gets kind of annoying navigating the menus each time if I'm binge watching something. One thing that bothers me about anime on Netflix is a lot of shows that aren't even close to including the complete series...like Naruto and Shippuden, which I just caught up to over the past couple weeks. I started there, then went to CR. Had this issue with other shows in the past, like Bleach.

CR has the largest anime selection, Manga, streaming quality, and features are aimed more at the audience, and there's the store which is pretty cool...creates more of a fan-base target instead of a viewer target... to me that makes it the best value of the three for anime. Honestly I think their Android interface is the best of all three, it's laid out and organized really well, using a Galaxy note 3. If I swtch from my PC to my phone in the middle of a show, they're almost perfectly in sync. Vice versa, you obviously refresh the page...However i always have to adjust the volume inside the video interface after skipping to the next episode. Ticky-Tacky, but could be simple to fix.

But, I haven't really needed to dig around for other streaming sites, I'm pretty cautious especially when it comes to watching anything online, and it's not like the mid 2000's with the Limewire, and "free this and that" sites all over the place... Annoying ads are one thing, and an insecure site is on a completely different level...especially when people can be steadfast in just trying to watch something for free, and nowadays more people are aware of protecting their material, or luring ignorant people into downloading bogus crap.



Man, between Netflix (some of my family members do have it & I've watched couple of episodes of Samurai Champloo in Japanese dub once again) & CR, it's an toss up for the reasons you stated. If I've to choose ONE, it'd be Crunchyroll.
3029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
I have had Netflix for a year or so now, I have used to watch animes that aren't on CR. I've only been using CR for a few months. I enjoy CR much more, but Netflix is something good to have if want to watch animes that aren't on CR. I suggest grouping up with people to get Netflix.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
LoneStarAndroid and MrChavez make good points, like grouping for Netflix...eventually these are going to be the downfall of cable tv, and is actually a pretty smart way of going about it, thats what I used to do...

It Ultimately depends on how much variety you want if its one or the other... If it was just Anime CR is the best choice. But if you at least watch movies every so often, it's not a bad thing to have both if you're able to swing it. In college we used to have 5 guys split up Hulu Plus Netflix and CR and dropped the cable bill (We had the "uber premium holy shit" cable package for the showtime stuff so our previous bill was ridiculous, and i never even watched stuff on tv, but it jacked up our monthly payment for utilities). That alone saved us a good chunk of money, divided up by 5 room mates thats like nothing. Since then, I moved out and just dropped Hulu.

Honestly though, there are also some shows that you would expect CR to have, but are Netflix...stuff like the old Dragonball Z stuff we grew up on, and like before, Samurai Champloo... Trigun.... Fullmetal Alchemist (really??)...Nura:Rise of the Yokai Clan...those are all really good shows and pretty surprised they weren't on CR. If anything get a free Netflix trial and a bunch of red bull and just watch all that shit then stick with CR lol I have it because I like to jump back and re-watch some of the older stuff every once and awhile, and occasionally watch some movies.

Even if you go with Netflix instead, theres still some other good shows on there that CR has also, like Kill La Kill, Attack on Titan, Bleach, Deathnote, Noragami...
Koda89 
33624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Online
Posted 10/22/15
Of course, it does need reminding the only one of these you absolutely need to fork over money to access is Netflix. CR and Hulu are both free(albeit, you can only use Hulu on browser with the free route), though the free route means you are always at least a week behind on shows, and you will have to deal with ads.

And you can use the free version of CR on most of the platforms that have a CR app, so really it isn't so much a question of "which one is the best to use" as it is "which one do you want to actually pay for".
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/15

Koda89 wrote:

Of course, it does need reminding the only one of these you absolutely need to fork over money to access is Netflix. CR and Hulu are both free(albeit, you can only use Hulu on browser with the free route), though the free route means you are always at least a week behind on shows, and you will have to deal with ads.

And you can use the free version of CR on most of the platforms that have a CR app, so really it isn't so much a question of "which one is the best to use" as it is "which one do you want to actually pay for".


True... for me personally its the ads, which drive me nuts lol and seemed a lot more frequent on CR
14777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/22/15 , edited 10/22/15

mater713 wrote:True... for me personally its the ads, which drive me nuts lol and seemed a lot more frequent on CR


The ads are a bit more frequent on CR--and often the same ones twice in a row--but it's worth getting Premium for CR not just to avoid them, but because there's no way to watch on the bigscreen PS3 without getting the Premium subscription.

Hulu is nice, but it's not as worth shelling for the No Ads subscription, as there's no loss in the bigscreen living-room viewing option with or without them, and the ads are a little more conservatively within the range that you'd get from normal TV. (Less, in fact, as we only get 2 per break, and fewer breaks than network TV--And sometimes the option of no ads if you watch the nice big expensive two-minute ad at the beginning.)
Still, I'm not quite sure who's responsible for rotating the diversity of Hulu's ads...Maybe it's that woman on the porch who looks crazy.
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 10/22/15

Ejanss wrote:

The ads are a bit more frequent on CR--and often the same ones twice in a row--but it's worth getting Premium for CR not just to avoid them, but because there's no way to watch on the bigscreen PS3 without getting the Premium subscription.

The PS3 hasn't required Premium for close to a year now:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-873551/crunchyroll-app-on-ps3-ps4-and-ps-vita-now-available-for-free-users

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.