First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi)
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/20/15 , edited 10/20/15


Synopsis:
Shoya Ishida, a boy always looking for ways to beat boredom, ends up looking for it in the wrong place. Weirded out by his new classmate, a deaf transfer student named Shoko Nishimiya, Shoya deems her as the target of his ostracizing and bullying. Day after day, Shoya picks on Shoko, unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions. He finally understands the pain he has inflicted on her when one day, his bullying culminates in her leaving the school, and his classmates begin to shun and harass him every chance they get instead. Determined to right his wrongs, five years later, Shoya, now a third year high school loner, meets Shoko again. Thus begins the story of a young man's path to redemption!

Genre:
Drama, Slice of Life, Romance

Status:
Completed

Published:
August 6th, 2013 - November 19th, 2014

Author:
Story & Art by Yoshitoki Oima

Serialization:
Weekly Shonen Magazine


Recommended by a friend, I finished this series and I found it to be very enjoyable and well written! Also, I am considering writing a review for it or at least the first volume.

Also, with the Anime film adaptation by KyoAni coming up, I am sure people will be looking forward to that, myself included.

Have you read this series? Will you be reading it? I recommend it, so let us discuss!
51815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/15
theres already a lot of these don't think we need another one lol.
One Punch Mod
85822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 10/21/15

eddie1255 wrote:

theres already a lot of these don't think we need another one lol.


The existing threads haven't had any activity in quite a while, so I'm closing them and leaving this new thread open.

Here are links to the old threads:

/forumtopic-820243/koe-no-Karachi
/forumtopic-893063/a-silent-voice-koe-no-katachi
/forumtopic-906865/a-silent-voice-koe-no-katachi
2201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/21/15
good manga, not good ending
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/21/15 , edited 10/21/15

eddie1255 wrote:

theres already a lot of these don't think we need another one lol.


I felt other threads didn't have necessary information and an art of the series, so I made one people can click on that has information about it, synopsis, etc!

Hope you enjoy it!
51815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/15

JuJu26 wrote:


eddie1255 wrote:

theres already a lot of these don't think we need another one lol.


I felt other threads didn't have necessary information and an art of the series, so I made one people can click on that has information about it, synopsis, etc!

Hope you enjoy it!


yeah everyone else just pretty much started talking about it without having anything info on it. so with the mod closing the others this one will do and yeah I've already read it. it's a really good story that u can like and hate u know some characters just pissed and annoy you. the ending could have been better. I think it should end different since they have been threw a lot you know.
6375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 10/21/15
This series has possibly the best "I hate this character and want him to fall off a cliff" to "Wow this is guy is really trying his hardest and I want him to succeed." ever with regards to the MC. If Japanese society really does/did treat disabled people in the way shown then my opinion of Japan will go further down. The art style definitely took some getting used to but once I did I loved the story.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/21/15

xCrimsonEX wrote:

This series has possibly the best "I hate this character and want him to fall off a cliff" to "Wow this is guy is really trying his hardest and I want him to succeed." ever with regards to the MC. If Japanese society really does/did treat disabled people in the way shown then my opinion of Japan will go further down. The art style definitely took some getting used to but once I did I loved the story.


Yes, the story is well written and the Mangaka knows what he or she was doing. Concerning the art style, I enjoyed it because it gave it that seinin and realistic look. Plus, I swear to you, the main character, Shoya, looks like Shikamaru from Naruto. I can't un-see it!!
35750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Online
Posted 10/21/15
Koe no Katachi is one of the few manga I've read in which the one-shot was better than the series...

The series is great but the one shot just does it all so freaking well.
6375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 10/22/15 , edited 10/22/15

JuJu26 wrote:

Yes, the story is well written and the Mangaka knows what he or she was doing. Concerning the art style, I enjoyed it because it gave it that seinin and realistic look. Plus, I swear to you, the main character, Shoya, looks like Shikamaru from Naruto. I can't un-see it!!


Between the view on same-sex being a phase, female molestation being better ignored than reported (just views on females' roles in general), and now treatment of the disabled my image of Japan has been demolished. I'm quickly learning to focus on the image of Japan than the actual one. And now that you mentioned it I myself can't help but see Shikamaru (not a bad thing since he's one of my fav. characters from Naruto) xD
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/22/15

xCrimsonEX wrote:


JuJu26 wrote:

Yes, the story is well written and the Mangaka knows what he or she was doing. Concerning the art style, I enjoyed it because it gave it that seinin and realistic look. Plus, I swear to you, the main character, Shoya, looks like Shikamaru from Naruto. I can't un-see it!!


Between the view on same-sex being a phase, female molestation being better ignored than reported (just views on females' roles in general), and now treatment of the disabled my image of Japan has been demolished. I'm quickly learning to focus on the image of Japan than the actual one. And now that you mentioned it I myself can't help but see Shikamaru (not a bad thing since he's one of my fav. characters from Naruto) xD


Hmm. I don't know much about how Japan treats their disables and other issues, so if I want to discuss that, then I'm going to need much more information and research. Um, you probably know much more about it than I do. As for Shikamaru, yeah, he looks like him, lol.
25197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/15
The whole thing is based on an interesting and real note, I loved it.
27820 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/15 , edited 10/23/15

JuJu26 wrote:

Plus, I swear to you, the main character, Shoya, looks like Shikamaru from Naruto. I can't un-see it!!


The whole time I was reading I kept thinking that he looked like someone. Now that you've mentioned it, maybe it is Shikamaru.

JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/23/15

aoi-123 wrote:


JuJu26 wrote:

Plus, I swear to you, the main character, Shoya, looks like Shikamaru from Naruto. I can't un-see it!!


The whole time I was reading I kept thinking that he looked like someone. Now that you've mentioned it, maybe it is Shikamaru.



Right! Just give him longer hair and a ninja headband, then you're set! As for Shoko, she looks like Sakura Matou from Fate/Stay Night. I don't know why, but I think it's the shape of her head and the design of her body figure. Also, both Sakura and Shoko tend to make the same expression when they are sad, so that could be it as well. Hmm...
17751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Online
Posted 10/23/15
well, if there is an anime, im problay not going to watch, unless they give it an anime ending. i loved the manga, but that ending just sucked. ruined it all for me.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.