First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Female VS Woman
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
i agree it does sound strange to use the word female over women. hm.
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
I think this branches into trans issues and calling someone a woman is different from calling someone a female. Like, female/male/intersex are all biological terms, and woman/man/whatever is an identity, So like, people may use is as a justification to not honour someone's preferences, u feel?
11291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
FEMALES

23316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
I agree with this.

When I hear female, I believe they are addressing a gender. Woman is more towards a term as an individual or older female. When it comes to describing a female, most people classify them as either woman or girl, as they are a broken down category.
128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Georgia
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15

HallowedAscension wrote:

I think this branches into trans issues and calling someone a woman is different from calling someone a female. Like, female/male/intersex are all biological terms, and woman/man/whatever is an identity, So like, people may use is as a justification to not honour someone's preferences, u feel?


A trans woman would be a female too; female would be the same in gender identity too: even though someone is intersex, we would still call them male or female based on... what they want. (Some intersex people don't even know that they are in the first place)

Yeah, I see no difference whatsoever in female and woman, or male and man, and I think it's just a weird part of the English language that we even have two words for the same exact concepts. It sounds weird to call people female and male, but that's also just a weird language thing, I think.
17714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
I don't see how female is used any differently from the word male. if anything I see "woman" used as a punch line for many bad jokes. I guess it rolls off the tongue better.
5042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15
They just do not know how to assemble a proper sentence.

Ignore them....
18 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/24/15

Thedude3445 wrote:


HallowedAscension wrote:

I think this branches into trans issues and calling someone a woman is different from calling someone a female. Like, female/male/intersex are all biological terms, and woman/man/whatever is an identity, So like, people may use is as a justification to not honour someone's preferences, u feel?


A trans woman would be a female too; female would be the same in gender identity too: even though someone is intersex, we would still call them male or female based on... what they want. (Some intersex people don't even know that they are in the first place)

Yeah, I see no difference whatsoever in female and woman, or male and man, and I think it's just a weird part of the English language that we even have two words for the same exact concepts. It sounds weird to call people female and male, but that's also just a weird language thing, I think.


Yeah, I agree with this. But, there exist people who would go "well, technically you're male so"
Which is what I was trying (and evidently failing) to say. I don't use female or male unless I'm talking biology (I'm a sciences student) but I feel like it has the potential to be justification for jerks.
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15
I think it's primarily used because of feminism.

And that's why it's also so prevalent these days. Like why the fuck did the other post that popped up this morning need to specify that it was a FEMALE motorist that saved a cat (and why the fuck is that "breaking news!?!?!?).

Because, whether or not you agree with today's feminism, it started a clusterfuck of discussion and sex and gender, and now because that's at the forefront of everyone's minds, they qualify the gender of particular persons because they are subconsciously being trained to think that gender matters and is important. (which is weird, but true. On the one hand, you will find people who, because of feminism (either for it or against it, because this truly is a clusterfuck of a movement now) think that gender should be important to clarify and discuss issues, and people (once again, for or against it), who believe gender isn't important (in which case it creates the same situation as asking someone not to think about purple elephants tap dancing on Mars)).

so yeah. to me it's bullshit but that's the clickbait-y attention-whoring fucked up world we now live in.
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15

thestars201 wrote:

I say, "look at them."


Them? Tits? Dicks? You need to be specific

67 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Your PC
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15
I usually just call them 'girls'.
49419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15
I always thought that when using the word "female" it was for describing the womankind as a whole. While using the word "woman" was to describe an individual female.
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15

serifsansserif wrote:


thestars201 wrote:

I say, "look at them."


Them? Tits? Dicks? You need to be specific



Them as a group.
13420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Sibyl System
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Maybe it depends on where you live. Where I live I've never heard anybody call a woman a 'female', they always say 'woman' or 'lady'.


You are from England, yes? I've only heard "female" used in America so far.
13420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Sibyl System
Offline
Posted 10/24/15 , edited 10/25/15

thestars201 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


thestars201 wrote:

I say, "look at them."


Them? Tits? Dicks? You need to be specific



Them as a group.


I think I agree with you; you don't have to be specific. We all have eyes, we can see who they are. Unless you are blind, but that's a different story.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.