First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Why would you like to learn Japanese?
13002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 10/25/15

TeasingGod wrote:

because i want to spend a month in japan and i don't wanna seem like an idiot/tourist/ignorant foreigner


even if you study for a year, you'll still be a "ignorant foreigner", though at least you'll know what those 女 and 男 symbols mean, and avoid the embarrassment of getting in a women-only train.
5906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/25/15

namealreadytaken wrote:


TeasingGod wrote:

because i want to spend a month in japan and i don't wanna seem like an idiot/tourist/ignorant foreigner


even if you study for a year, you'll still be a "ignorant foreigner", though at least you'll know what those 女 and 男 symbols mean, and avoid the embarrassment of getting in a women-only train.


i won't be an "ignorant foreigner" i'd merely be a "foreigner" the ignorance would be greatly reduced by my understanding of what i'm looking at and hearing
259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
I have been teaching myself Japanese ever since I was a junior at high school. It's not really hard, but I have to speak the language more often. I need it for the summer when my dad is taking me to Tokyo and Yokohama.
9 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
I want to learn Japanese to experience a new way of thinking. I learned French a few years back for a similar reason, and went from a singularly English-based perspective (Canadian English, specifically) to a means of thinking that is far more categorical and structured, thinking in a language where incredible rigidity is used to express beauty and art in language. Similarly, I want to know more about the philosophies and psychologies of Japanese people. I'd consider learning other languages in this way a key means of coming to understand all people through the one universal human constant; language.

Also because I don't want to have to keep glancing down at the caption whenever someone says something in an anime.
985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
Because I'm part Japanese and the last time I went to Japan it sucked not being able to really communicate with people.
34645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/25/15 , edited 10/25/15

MrAnimeSK wrote:

I want to be able to speak it decently before i go there.
Also it would be cool to be able to import Japanese only games and be able to play them. Of course that would mean having to learn to read Japanese though..
Learning to speak it is more appealing and probably less difficulit..
Well, I'm just speaking for myself since I'm still really beginner level. If you are actually trying to learn the language, I'd suggest incorporating kanji into your studies.

You say that you plan to visit, but, you have to remember, that you will have to read signs to get to places, not listen to them xD. Of course, all jokes aside, you could use google translates picture scanner to get "gist" meanings and such, but they are extremely unreliable. Looking up and learning kanji up all on your own is a pain in the ass, believe me, but, it is EXTREMELY rewarding. I've learned a lot of words and phrases from learning specific kanji and jukugo meanings. There is a LOT of words that you learn just from knowing multiple kanji associated with each other. For example, learn the kanji for child (子) and all of a sudden you know the "child word" for most animals. 子猫 for kitten 子犬 for puppy, etc. My favorite example from my own experience was learning the word and kanji for constellation, 星座, or seiza, formed with the kanji "star" and "gathering" respectively. 電 means electricity, and a lot of words that involve electric power have this kanji in their names. If I see a jukugo with this kanji, I instantly already know part of the word and some of the connotation of it.

Think about it this way, if you learn the kanji, you are going to be forced to learn the words they are associated with, thus you are also learning how to speak the language effectively. But, if you decide to forego the kanji studies, and you learn how to speak the language well and then decide 'well shit, I should have learned kanji while learning the spoken words', you are effectively going to have ended up learning the language twice.

Keep in mind, once again, that I am only beginner. But, learning kanji has actually been rewarding in learning the language itself.
13002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 10/25/15 , edited 10/25/15

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:

I want to be able to speak it decently before i go there.
Also it would be cool to be able to import Japanese only games and be able to play them. Of course that would mean having to learn to read Japanese though..
Learning to speak it is more appealing and probably less difficulit..
Well, I'm just speaking for myself since I'm still really beginner level. If you are actually trying to learn the language, I'd suggest incorporating kanji into your studies.

You say that you plan to visit, but, you have to remember, that you will have to read signs to get to places, not listen to them xD.


Keep in mind, once again, that I am only beginner. But, learning kanji has actually been rewarding in learning the language itself.


your post reminded me, there was an episode on some Japanese program (i forgot which, not that it matters, its on youtube) where they showed a family (indonesian iirc) who moved to Japan w/o knowing anything. they used a google translate app to be able to understand and adjust the thermostat, and gps to reach their destination, since they couldn't understand what the guy on the bus was saying.
and yea, there's no escape in learning kanji when you learn Japanese.
edit: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_985jkUd40
34645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/25/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

your post reminded me, there was an episode on some Japanese program (i forgot which, not that it matters, its on youtube) where they showed a family (indonesian iirc) who moved to Japan w/o knowing anything. they used a google translate app to be able to understand and adjust the thermostat, and gps to reach their destination, since they couldn't understand what the guy on the bus was saying.
and yea, there's no escape in learning kanji when you learn Japanese.
edit: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_985jkUd40

That sounds awful.. I can barely navigate my SIF(rhythm game) JP account with it. xD
10849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/25/15


Yeah fair points. I was using self teaching software for a little while, a long time ago.
I was planning to go to classes at the beginning of the year. I googled and found several different classes and i looked into the times and class sizes and costs, etc
But i didn't go through with becasue i start work so dam early. I mean that gives me lots of time after work to do such things but iam always so dam tired and sort of used that as an excuse i guess..
And then i missed the start of the term and then i just spent my money on other stuff..
I should do it next year. just need to go to bed earlier..




13002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
btw, you can see in the comments that people would rather want you to learn the language before coming.
as a response to the scene, where the man says that there aren't many people who speak English in Japan, the people in the comments say "at least learn hiragana and katakana - have some respect for Japan", "not many people speak English in Japan - that's fine. you should expect that before coming here" and "why should the Japanese people know English when they're living in Japan? (rhetorical question)"
1819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
I would like to visit japan one day and live there and so I can read original light novels and help translate japanese manga into English.
13002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 10/25/15 , edited 10/25/15

alucard396 wrote:I would like to visit japan one day and live there and so I can read original light novels and help translate japanese manga into English.


you can do that in your own country if you have a tablet (or smartphone, though the screen is tiny) though..? there are electronic versions of manga and light novels, which you can buy from in-app purchases.
10849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/25/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

btw, you can see in the comments that people would rather want you to learn the language before coming.
as a response to the scene, where the man says that there aren't many people who speak English in Japan, the people in the comments say "at least learn hiragana and katakana - have some respect for Japan", "not many people speak English in Japan - that's fine. you should expect that before coming here" and "why should the Japanese people know English when they're living in Japan? (rhetorical question)"


Funny that hey. But its ok for every mother plucker to come to(live in) English speaking nations and talk in their language.
But i do agree you should learn at least a little before visiting and it s a sign of respect.
And i admit that non English speaking people learn English way more than we learn other languages, overall.
691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
Multiple reasons:

1. Cause I'm Japanese - I was born in Japan but me and my family moved to USA when I was only 4, so I'm just re-learning what I forgot.

2. Cause I plan to live in Japan when I grow up. - I think pretty much any country is better than the USA, and USA is likely to collapse (I said likely not certain, so don't hate on me Americans) in the next 70-80 years of my lifetime, so I want to be in a country with no danger of collapsing.

3. Cause I love Anime, Manga, Japanese Books, Japanese Movies, and Japanese Culture in General - When you actually can speak Japanese, you finally realize how much the English subtitles suck on anime!

4. Cause I'm a linguist - I love learning languages, period. I've learned English, and am learning Japanese, Spanish, German, Chinese, Arabic, and a bunch of other languages I forgot to mention, and Japanese is a beautiful language which any linguist should learn.

5. Japanese is a difficult language to learn and impresses everyone you show your skills in the language to! - No joke being a multilingual person has perks, such as getting much more attention than normal people do.

That's just a few reasons I am learning Japanese, I could go on forever with this, but I'm afraid listing 20 reasons would be too long.
1819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/25/15
Ik but I would like to live there and I rather have the light novels then go read them on a site and collect them
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.