First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Disappointed by no game no life
1026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/29/15 , edited 11/2/15
The show is somewhat intelligent, but it totally has potential to be more so, mainly because it falls on its face in many of the games being played.

1. Beating Ted, or whatever his name is, in chess.
Please, if this God is anything like the Christian God, namely, all-knowing. Then it's impossible to beat him in the same way you can beat scissors with paper, it's logical certainty that an omniscient being will know the optimal strategy and the most you can do is tie him, depending on the game. Chess is not solved so we don't know if that's possible, but we do know that the protagonists don't have the optimal strategy because they're humans.
Ok you can make the argument that the god in this show is not omniscient and therefore doesn't know the optimal strategy. But please, why do they keep mentioning game theory and how the game tree size for chess is 10 to the 120? It sounds like Shiro somehow knows all of them and therefore knows the optimal strategy which is why she can't loose. Because you know, there is no such thing as an undefeatable intelligence unless it already solved the entire game (knows the optimal strategy). Grand masters often loose to each other and some times to opponents of lower rank because people don't play chess by analyzing the game tree, that's how computers do it. They look through all possible moves in the next 10 or so steps and determines the best move. Where as Real grand masters only look a few steps ahead, but with an overarching strategy.
And for gods sake why does Shiro keep saying that chess is like tic-tra-toe, which is totally a solved game! The game tree size of chess is what? A billion Google times larger than Shiro has brain cells in her brain?

2. The chess with people game.
First of all, you can have someone agree to a game, without telling them what the game is? That seems like an enormous advantage to the person being challenged. Like, I can just practice one obscure game, and then even the most intelligent person won't be able to beat me, not the first time, as long as the game is complex enough.
Second of all, you're allowed to not tell your opponent the full set of rules for the game? Ok how about this, I practice my little game, and I make it so that one of the rules say "in the case that I loose, I win"? How about that?
Ok getting back onto the game, how does he know what works in this game and what doesn't? He has some information, like how you can actually give any command to any piece. But how does he know that you can also encourage your pieces. The girls says that the pieces are intelligent but that doesn't guarantee that they have moral or even understands figurative language. What if he tries to encourage them and it turns out to not work?
How does he know he can make the pieces rebel? How is he certain that the pieces can get assassinated for tyranny? How the fuck does he know that's within the rules when he doesn't know the full set of rules? In fact, how come the girl doesn't know full set of rules? You're allowed to play games where neither side knows all the rules in the game? Then who does? The judge?

3. The series of stripping mini games.
Ok this show has a totally twisted understanding of game theory, probability, and determinism. Regardless of if determinism is true, it has no effect on how probability works in real life. Sure he can bet that the next passing person would more likely to be male or female, but that is in no way a guarantee that he can win. Don't forget that the fact that she picked a biased street is itself pure luck because it wasn't under his control. And not all streets would have biased gender make up. Still, picking the more probable side does not make you win, you're just more likely to win. Unless he knows exactly the path of every single person who could have passed through the street, which he doesn't, therefore probability still rules, ok?
Now, why the fuck, doesn't the girl just challenge him to a normal Rock Paper Scissors, or a coin flip, or a dice roll?
And, is anything not prohibited, allowed? That seems like a huge loophole, like if we agreed to play chess, I can go ahead and cut off your limbs so you can't move the pieces in time and can't think properly due to the pain or blood loss can't I?

4. The connect words game.
Here it started off ok.... I mean it should have ended with the hydrogen bomb, because the rule only prohibits directly causing death. In this case the hydrogen bomb's direct effect is mostly intense gamma ray (btw nuclear chain reactions happen in nanoseconds, it would have exploded long before the rod cells on the girls retina reacted to the sight of the bomb). The super heated plasma and shockwave are not strictly direct so they should just kill the girl inmmediately. But we can let it slide because he only wanted to test if he can use words she doesn't know, could've been anything else so not a huge problem.
But then he ends the game by saying Colum force. Well if he said that the first thing that will happen is he will immediately dematerialize into sub-atomic particles and loose the game. Because his own body is bounded together by electromagnetism, and the rules says that you can kill yourself. What a retarded ending to such a long build up of somewhat-cool strategic moves.
Seems like a easy game to win to me, all you need to say is spacesuits, you put them on, and you remove the planet, boom you win.
Or, remove some hormones unique to females to screw up her bodily function and gurentee a win in a day or so.
56927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 10/29/15
Disappointed by this thread.
35804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Offline
Posted 10/29/15
1. Tet isn't omniscient. The gods in the NGNL world were/are more like greek gods (somewhat). They have their own personalities and ambitions. Plus it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that Tet let them win (though unlikely). Also Shiro has photographic memory and it is entirely possible for her to memorize all the possibilities (she hasn't had a life outside of games so she is entirely devoted to them).

2. The series is built on out playing your opponent before the game even begins. Which is why ambiguous dialogue is important.

3. Sora is usually manipulating Steph psychologically to prevent her from trying chance games. Plus most of the other characters don't want to rely on chance and they have pride. Another point is that violence (for harm) is prohibited (if I remember correctly) so disabling opponent can't happen.

4. This is a work of fiction in a world with magic. Physics and Science can always be broken (if they were broken).

Of course this is all just stuff I'm writing down. NGNL isn't much of a thinking anime. It is better to just enjoy the ride.
32395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/15 , edited 10/29/15
It's like all this recent BS filler in Naruto, cause we all know that Piccolo already destroyed the moon thus Infinite Sukiyaki is impossible to do.
+ It it would be easy to counter since everybody can just take out their eyeballs and put them in their pockets.

8640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 11/2/15
Congrats on realizing that NGNL is absolute gutter trash for low-class plebs.

I could write a better show in my sleep.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/30/15

Saemonza wrote:

Congrats on realizing that NGNL is absolute gutter trash for low-class plebs.

I could write a better show in my sleep.


You must be rich.
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 10/30/15
Wait, Tet was omniscient?


Saemonza wrote:

Congrats on realizing that NGNL is absolute gutter trash for low-class plebs.

I could write a better show in my sleep.


I love you.
19132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 10/30/15
Move to NGNL thread please.

That's a proper discussion thread, after all.
19132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/30/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Saemonza wrote:

Congrats on realizing that NGNL is absolute gutter trash for low-class plebs.

I could write a better show in my sleep.


I love you.


It sails.
1817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/30/15
Bry this is fiction it's a fantasy harem anime to boot anything can happen and rock paper scissors is a game no matter how trivial.
1817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 10/30/15
You say you could write a better show then NGNl hmm if you do I hope to read/watch it since no game no life is a pretty popular light novel series.
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 10/30/15

alucard396 wrote:

You say you could write a better show then NGNl hmm if you very do I hope to read/watch it since no game no life is a pretty popular light novel series.


NGNL is trash, utter escapist trash. The masses are being swept up and exploited for their lack of utter taste. NGNL is cancer.
1817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/30/15
I guess we have different opinions
Posted 10/30/15 , edited 10/30/15
I don't have opinions. I am a God, and I have facts. NGNL is cancer pandering to the most base of audiences. That is a fact. I shall be known as the one true god that hates NGNL and people will say "Wait till PV hears this" in NGNL's Season 2 Anticipation Thread.
1817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 10/30/15
Mr god why do you concur that NGNl is trash what are your reasons
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.