First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Would you watch an anime where evil wins and good loses?
43650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/1/15
The last six words in that question are superfluous..
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/30/15
I actually watched quite a bit of hentai where the girls go mad from being raped and they learned to love it.

While I do get a hankering for some mindbreak, I can't imagine watching this for entertainment.
Le_Dom 
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/30/15
If they make the villains win just for the sake of having evil be the victor, then no.

It would just be a cheap and cruel last minute plot twist.
5962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 8/7/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


My idea of an evil villain is one who wants to be evil because he or she can. Not because some tragic event happened to the villain that cause him or her to turn into an evil person.

I agree, this is the best kind of villain. They're usually a lot more entertaining.
I like it a lot better for a character to own their own villainy and not blame it on a 'bad childhood" or "bad circumstances" etc.


9800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/30/15
Yeah. It can be tiresome to only watch and read fiction where it's always so damned predictable. A wisp or two of reality adds some grit that I find appealing.
810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/15
Well, generally, no, although I really love a good villain. The only time I didn't mind seeing evil win was the first arc of Death Note, because the cat-and-mouse play between light and L was SO incredible. But really you can't even count that since we knew all along that Light would get what was coming to him in the second arc. And honestly, I didn't like it per se, even then. It sucked watching L die, but I just had to admire the work put into the show's plot.

So, in conclusion: Nah...
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/1/15

cyberfaust wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


My idea of an evil villain is one who wants to be evil because he or she can. Not because some tragic event happened to the villain that cause him or her to turn into an evil person.

I agree, this is the best kind of villain. They're usually a lot more entertaining.
I like it a lot better for a character to own their own villainy and not blame it on a 'bad childhood" or "bad circumstances" etc.




Depends. Do you have self serving villains that justify their bad behavior due to some incident in the past or those that merely own up to their villainy although they have a backstory that might explain why they do it? I tend to hate characters who are evil or dicks for no reason shown other than "for the EVULZ". They usually are detestable, ranging from Makoto Itou from Chaka from Black Lagoon.)

This is where I believe you misunderstood Qualeshia. She doesn't want a self serving villain, because few want that. She wants someone born evil or merely raised to be evil without incident.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 11/1/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I actually watched quite a bit of hentai where the girls go mad from being raped and they learned to love it.

While I do get a hankering for some mindbreak, I can't imagine watching this for entertainment.




Those sound like Light Novel titles.







5962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 8/7/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



Depends. Do you have self serving villains that justify their bad behavior due to some incident in the past or those that merely own up to their villainy although they have a backstory that might explain why they do it? I tend to hate characters who are evil or dicks for no reason shown other than "for the EVULZ". They usually are detestable, ranging from Makoto Itou from Chaka from Black Lagoon.)

This is where I believe you misunderstood Qualeshia. She doesn't want a self serving villain, because few want that. She wants someone born evil or merely raised to be evil without incident.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I think a character that freely chooses to be evil can be entertaining or likable.
It's true that many villains who are pure evil are played to aggravate the audience so we hate them, but many villains are also played charmingly. This is also true about real life sociopaths; some have no people skills while others are attractive and endearing.

Xanatos from Gargoyles has no discernible reason to be evil; he's already rich, and he could just leave the Gargoyles alone, but he's just a dick. And what makes him great is that the character is so smooth that's fun to watch him always win somehow.

I realized another really great example is Esdeath from Akame ga Kill.
In one episode Tatsumi tries to figure out why Esdeath can't be convinced she is morally wrong.
Esdeath has a past that might explain her eliminationist, social Darwinist policies, but it doesn't, because Esdeath is unburdened by the past. No emotional baggage, but instead a clarity of mind unburdened by empathy, remorse, and pity, even for people she likes.
Esdeath drank demon blood that would drive lesser humans murderously insane, but it had no effect on her mental state at all.
There lies Tatsumi's horror: there's no excuse for why she is who she is, and she doesn't need or want one: she's just a dick, and she likes her job.

Since the audience was taken through explanations expecting one to stick, but the simple fact she's just a sociopath was unexpected and enjoyable. Especially considered the show already does "the banality of evil" quite well with characters like Seryu, Bols and Wave.

Esdeath also benefits from a kind of gap moe where her fascist actions and attitudes are contrasted with a sudden realization her biological clock is ticking and her warped affection for Tatsumi makes her also a darkly funny character.
5248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/30/15
Of course, the fact the good guys win is cliche and has been done over and over again. This whole thing about good guys always winning feels so recycled.
48515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 7/7/16
I think Code Geass might fit the bill
Lelouch was a jerk and didn't hesitate to kill siblings and stuff just so that his full blooded sister would live in peace.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 11/1/15

aeb0717 wrote:

Yeah. It can be tiresome to only watch and read fiction where it's always so damned predictable. A wisp or two of reality adds some grit that I find appealing.


Agreed.
9610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / North Pole
Offline
Posted 11/1/15 , edited 11/30/15
Yeah sure, if it's well executed.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 11/1/15

Luukee wrote:

Yeah sure, if it's well executed.


Good.
6032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Konohagakure
Offline
Posted 11/1/15
Yah I would. As long as it has a good story line and some epic twist that has evil to claim victory.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.