First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What did i say that was so offensive?
Posted 11/2/15

haikinka wrote:

Maybe you're just ugly.


^this right after the short essay made me spit my cereal out.
64226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Bronx New York
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15
People think even noticing a difference in culture is offensive. There are people who are offended that non-Japanese people watch anime. So try not to worry about it too much, it sounds like you were having this discussion with a crazy sjw. So I don't think what you said was so offensive because japan does have a particular issue with this mental problem. The government had such an issue with death from overwork that they implemented laws to deal with the problem. They even have a special word for death cause from being overworked Karōshi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi So it does seem like such an unhealthy work environment could contribute to the NEET and hikikomori problem.
23686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 11/2/15
people are pussies on the internet brah

ignore them
23208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15
Generally speaking, it's very difficult to not offend everyone you meet. Some people are offended by things you would never even consider offensive, it's not your fault. Don't get too hung up on it, some people are just very sensitive and nothing about what you said was offensive.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15
People don't care what the premise of the topic is anymore, the minute you associate anything with a ethnicity, culture, or gender, even if it's statistically proven and extensively researched, they slate you for generalization. This is a society of tumblrites with nothing better to do than instigate drama. Even Japan recognizes the correlation between suicide, depression, and their work ethic.


In 2007, the government released a nine-step plan, a "counter-suicide White Paper", which it hopes will curb suicide by 20% by 2017.[33] The goal of the white paper is to encourage investigation of the root causes of suicide in order to prevent it, change cultural attitudes toward suicide, and improve treatment of unsuccessful suicides.[33] In 2009, the Japanese government committed 15.8 billion yen towards suicide prevention strategies.

Japan has allotted 12.4 billion yen ($133 million) in suicide prevention assets for the 2010 fiscal year ending March 2011, with plans to fund public counseling for those with overwhelming debts and those needing treatment for depression.[21]

Amid the overall increase in self-inflicted death for 2009, the government claims there have been encouraging signs since September. The Cabinet Office said the number of monthly suicides declined year-on-year between September 2009 and April 2010.[21] According to preliminary figures compiled by the NPA, the number of suicides fell 9.0 percent from the year before.[7]


Banned
21034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15

Ejanss wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

I'm so confused I
offended people because i said
imo the whole shutin problem with japan isn't helped by there worth ethic where most of them work 90% of the day and get no rest and some even die from work
and people got made and were like OMG YOUR GENERALIZING
THATS OFFENSIVE I LIVE IN JAPAN
THAT'S WRONG
or my favourite "WHY ARE YOU SAYING ITS A PROBLEM THERE BUT NO WHERE ELSE


That's not saying there's anything wrong with the idea:
The Recession hit the post-80's Japanese unawares, leaving the 90's-00's Japanese trying to figure out what went wrong, and the only mindset they had to work with was that they must not have been working hard enough.
The idea of showing how fiercely their corporations work in the international stage became a bubble that popped, and now the last few generations are starting to question why they should knock themselves out fiercely competing six days a week since childhood school days for a corporate future. And their culture doesn't have an answer to that question, apart from what used to work, namely, "If you're not a success, it's your own fault."

Which is why the shut-in NEET/hikkikomori culture retreats from the pressures to succeed, and the middle-dog fighting and bullying for position, tries to find some middle ground of personal satisfaction (which is frowned upon in the group society), and got all Brony-precious and tried to make a "rebellious" lifestyle out of it once they found out there were more of them on the Net.
Also making them the "scapegoat" among the mainstream Japanese looking for the source of the problem anywhere but in the mirror, and peeking for "Work-dodging NEET's" under their bed or in the coat closet, anywhere that their nasty old anime or video games might appear.

There are ways out of their hole, but the first step is for Japanese society to thump themselves on the head and come to the realization that it's not 1988 anymore. A simple idea, but hard to grasp.

(There, see how less offensive it is, with actual syntax, formatting and punctuation? )



It doesn't seem any more or less offensive with actual syntax, formatting and punctuation ._.
14787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15

ayaundwolf wrote:Even Japan recognizes the correlation between suicide, depression, and their work ethic.


In 2007, the government released a nine-step plan, a "counter-suicide White Paper", which it hopes will curb suicide by 20% by 2017.[33] The goal of the white paper is to encourage investigation of the root causes of suicide in order to prevent it, change cultural attitudes toward suicide, and improve treatment of unsuccessful suicides.[33] In 2009, the Japanese government committed 15.8 billion yen towards suicide prevention strategies.



Yes, but they still have the basic cultural hypocrisy of "If you have a problem, it's your own fault":

Work-bonding stresses going out and drinking buddy sake-blasts three or four nights a week till the wee hours, to show how willing to go all-out you are for your workers and your friends....BUT, if you have a drinking problem, it's a tragic flaw that can have you denied a driver's license if it demonstrates the likelihood of drunk driving.
Clearly, having a problem due to repetitive drinking is a character flaw of weakness, for not being a tiger in the workplace, and not being able to handle your sake like a good ol' sophomore.

Similarly, working all night at your workplace shows fierce dedication to get the job done, even with the temptation to show more time to your family or kids...BUT, if overwhelming job stress causes depression or health problems, clearly it's more than you can handle, and you're just not up to the task.
The smart worker clearly knows how to kill himself without actually killing himself.

It's something so rooted in the "Mind your own business" privacy of Asian culture that it makes one afraid to say that a problem could possibly be everybody's business, and might just be the complacent other guy's too.
20973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Šumeru.
Offline
Posted 11/2/15
It's obvious why people would find your "opinions" offensive when you were most likely mainly referring to one area(Japan). I do however not understand the guy who said that "emotions" have no place in debates. Silly statement.

It's not like "shut-ins" are something that happens in higher amounts there than anywhere else, whatever the silly people above me stated, work ethics or whatnot.

It is just something that's considered horrible there, because of the culture, therefore it gets a lot of focus.
16863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15
You used existing studies. Facts, research, and statistics are offensive if they hurt peoples feelings and must be altered to make people feel better.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/3/15

Ryulightorb wrote:

I'm so confused I
offended people because i said
imo the whole shutin problem with japan isn't helped by there worth ethic where most of them work 90% of the day and get no rest and some even die from work
and people got made and were like OMG YOUR GENERALIZING
THATS OFFENSIVE I LIVE IN JAPAN
THAT'S WRONG
or my favourite "WHY ARE YOU SAYING ITS A PROBLEM THERE BUT NO WHERE ELSE"
to which i said it is a problem in other places but its not something you hear about compared to hearing about it from Japan
the news places i read at have talked about japans shutin "Problem " multiple times
so apparently talking about what you know based on research into a subject is "Talking out of your ass" and "Making offensive Generalisations"
Oh ........ ok

I mean it doesn't help i made a joke earlier saying i wish for a fake study saying "Asians genetically smarter" to hit reddit because the fallout from it would be just great to read...but even then that's not offensive that's funny :/


TL;DR i put my opinion into a subject i have done research into (Not enough obviously) and offended people for talking about there countries issues.

I don't see what i did wrong.


Don't worry about other people, they'll get offended no matter what you say. Just say what you need to, and move on. Because odds are they're just looking to argue with you.

You're entitled to your opinion, an opinion is not fact, and should not be scrutinized when presented.
If they don't like it, simply flip them off, and be on your way.
Posted 11/2/15

haikinka wrote:

Maybe you're just ugly.


3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/2/15
"You work too much."

"...I have never been offended so much in my life."

"... ."
731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/2/15
Tbh, after reading your post, I think it was probably the way you said it.
Posted 11/2/15 , edited 11/2/15

i put my opinion into a subject i have done research into (Not enough obviously) and offended people for talking about there countries issues.


I can see how someone can become offended having to read that.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/15
oh, youth
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.