First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Do you find Hitler jokes funny ?
51199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/15 , edited 11/13/15
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 11/3/15
I find some Hitler jokes funny. But not the one in the original post
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/3/15 , edited 11/3/15
When you do it right you can end up with something very entertaining and powerful indeed. One of the most fundamental things to understand about Hitler is that he (like Mussolini for Italy) was supposed to be envisioned as a human manifestation of the Fascist state, which is Fascism's most sacred institution. That, in addition to Hitler's own lust for personal power and glory, was the why of the personality cult: to make the concept of a Fascist state less abstract to the general population. To give them something solid to envision when they thought about the ideals they were supposed to be fighting or cheering for.

When you mock Hitler you attack that personality cult, meaning you simultaneously attack the German Fascist state and Hitler's own purported importance and power. A well-constructed joke about Adolf Hitler is among the most powerful weapons against Fascist idealism we have. Use them wisely, but by all means: use them.
20792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/3/15 , edited 11/13/15
37427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / arid wasteland
Offline
Posted 11/3/15

Ejanss wrote:

This was before he gave up comedy in the 80's and became said politically-ranting First Amendment Jackass, right?


Your not one of those loony authoritarians who thinks free speech is bad, are you?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/3/15

BlueOni wrote:

When you do it right you can end up with something very entertaining and powerful indeed. One of the most fundamental things to understand about Hitler is that he (like Mussolini for Italy) was supposed to be envisioned as a human manifestation of the Fascist state, which is Fascism's most sacred institution. That, in addition to Hitler's own lust for personal power and glory, was the why of the personality cult: to make the concept of a Fascist state less abstract to the general population. To give them something solid to envision when they thought about the ideals they were supposed to be fighting or cheering for.

When you mock Hitler you attack that personality cult, meaning you simultaneously attack the German Fascist state and Hitler's own purported importance and power. A well-constructed joke about Adolf Hitler is among the most powerful weapons against Fascist idealism we have. Use them wisely, but by all means: use them.


That is probably the most profound thing that will ever be said about Hitler jokes, I salute you sir or ma'am
Posted 11/4/15
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/4/15
Yup I find them funny, I'm a horrible person lol


Don't ask where I found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1paQ-zGjko
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/4/15

ProfessorFaust wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

This was before he gave up comedy in the 80's and became said politically-ranting First Amendment Jackass, right?


Your not one of those loony authoritarians who thinks free speech is bad, are you?


No, just that ever since, we've had a plague of "edgy" comics getting drunk on their own social edginess, developing Bill Maher martyr complexes, and going out on their "First Amendment Free Speech Tour".
Which comics technically don't have: According to the Constitution, Free Speech only exists between the government and the owner of the speech, which in this case would technically be the network or the owner of the nightclub. Who can still censor or fire them.

If they want to go out on the streetcorner and do their act, they're Constitutionally protected to do so, it's just that we already have a surplus of old foul-mouthed grey-haired ex-stoners on said streetcorners shouting about how Bush and religion are the problems of the world today.



Ranwolf wrote:
When you mock Hitler you attack that personality cult, meaning you simultaneously attack the German Fascist state and Hitler's own purported importance and power. A well-constructed joke about Adolf Hitler is among the most powerful weapons against Fascist idealism we have. Use them wisely, but by all means: use them.


That is probably the most profound thing that will ever be said about Hitler jokes, I salute you sir or ma'am


It's said, possibly apocryphally, that Hitler once joked that if he ever got to the US, the first people he wanted to go after were Spike Jones (no, not the director) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlFBSRrSR0
and the Three Stooges.

Before 1944, we literally didn't know what was happening with the Jews in Germany, since Germany's idea was to keep it carefully hidden from the world, but the high demographic of Jewish comics, Hollywood studio folk, and German refugees in the movie business had gotten the word out between themselves. At that time, all the rest of the mainstream folk were aware of to make fun of Germany's fascist regime was how silly the posturing and staging looked, the hysterically overemotional German gibberish, and the fact that Hitler was a sneaky bastard who broke peace treaties.
While Charlie Chaplin in 1940, before we were even at war, was shocking Hollywood with the rumors of his making an "important" satire of German fascism, the Stooges were already the first American comics to realize that the US's most powerful weapon was our own Brooklyn wiseassery, and the most winning bullet for democracy was a pie in the face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQAIR0i4X1g

That's humor with a purpose and a target, since it makes truth funnier than fiction by making it lowbrow rather than the martyr-comics' "My one guitar and the truth", and gives us something to agree upon laughing at. It's called "Satire", and it's something our Millennial generation has now forgotten. (Sort of the same reason SNL can't be funny anymore unless it's an election year.)
We now return you to your thread of "Look, I'm making dead-Jew and dictator-suicide jokes because it'll shock you, 'n stuff!"
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/13/15
Jokes about Hitler or WWII in general have been a thing for quite a while
355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/4/15
It's well past the "too soon?" stage to make Hitler jokes. It has lost its novelty and we should sweep it under the carpet.
38932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 11/4/15

brigand554 wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:

Do you find Hitler jokes funny ?



That rotten prick kampfed in a corner the whole time.


Fixed*....

I'm disappointed you all missed such an obvious pun
37427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / arid wasteland
Offline
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/4/15

Ejanss wrote:

No, just that ever since, we've had a plague of "edgy" comics getting drunk on their own social edginess, developing Bill Maher martyr complexes, and going out on their "First Amendment Free Speech Tour".
Which comics technically don't have: According to the Constitution, Free Speech only exists between the government and the owner of the speech, which in this case would technically be the network or the owner of the nightclub. Who can still censor or fire them.

If they want to go out on the streetcorner and do their act, they're Constitutionally protected to do so, it's just that we already have a surplus of old foul-mouthed grey-haired ex-stoners on said streetcorners shouting about how Bush and religion are the problems of the world today.


You didn't watch any of the clip, did you?
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/4/15

]It's said, possibly apocryphally, that Hitler once joked that if he ever got to the US, the first people he wanted to go after were Spike Jones (no, not the director) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlFBSRrSR0
and the Three Stooges.


(Although--interesting historical sidelight--it's said to be because few outside of Hitler's inner circle knew that he had an intestinal gas problem, either a cause or effect of his vegetarian diet...
And as a result, he didn't get the gleefully arrogant lowbrow Yankee lampooning of "Der Fuhrer's Face", and thought Spike's tuba and duck-call "farty noises" on the chorus were an unfairly targeted personal attack.
Which is one reason satire works--Fascist dictators DO NOT understand the concept of humor. If they did, they'd be in a different profession.)



Ejanss wrote:

No, just that ever since, we've had a plague of "edgy" comics getting drunk on their own social edginess, developing Bill Maher martyr complexes, and going out on their "First Amendment Free Speech Tour".
Which comics technically don't have: According to the Constitution, Free Speech only exists between the government and the owner of the speech, which in this case would technically be the network or the owner of the nightclub. Who can still censor or fire them.

If they want to go out on the streetcorner and do their act, they're Constitutionally protected to do so, it's just that we already have a surplus of old foul-mouthed grey-haired ex-stoners on said streetcorners shouting about how Bush and religion are the problems of the world today.


You didn't watch any of the clip, did you?


No, but given his later act, I'm guessing it was in the general ballpark of "Be thankful you NEED me, you poor deluded sheeple, who else would tell you these things?? We comics are rebels for freedom!" The first death-knell symptom of comedy.
29741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 11/4/15 , edited 11/4/15
I'd say making light of a serious subject is better than making nothing of it, and not talking about. Considering that there are people who actually know nothing about the Holocaust, I'd say it doesn't matter whether the jokes are funny or not, but just that they're there, and raise awareness...

But to answer the question, it depends on the joke. At the very, if it's least an awful joke I probably won't be disgusted since I know it's just a joke.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.