First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Someone recommend a groundbreaking anime!
41739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 11/7/15
Steins;Gate
Clannad (Clannad Afterstory in particular but it's a season 2).
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Madoka Magica yet!

I second the person who said Kara no Kyoukai. Good stuff.
As well as the person above me who says Steins;Gate.
101433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / You, Knighted States
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
He has already seen Steins;Gate. You guys didn't look at his MAL list.
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/15

namealreadytaken wrote:


LITVoid wrote:
wow. I normally don't like shitting on other people's tastes, but none of this shit is even remotely close to groundbreaking. Maybe it's good, yes I won't argue that, but there's a distinct difference between something that's good and something that's groundbreaking.


Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is as ground breaking as an anime can possibly be. (and it's very well done, too)


It isn't enough to tell me that, if you're going to say something is groundbreaking, tell us why, what does this anime do that sets it apart from any other anime. What does it do that truly puts it above everything else. Note this isn't me telling you it isn't good, but good and groundbreaking aren't the same.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 11/8/15

LITVoid wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


LITVoid wrote:
wow. I normally don't like shitting on other people's tastes, but none of this shit is even remotely close to groundbreaking. Maybe it's good, yes I won't argue that, but there's a distinct difference between something that's good and something that's groundbreaking.


Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is as ground breaking as an anime can possibly be. (and it's very well done, too)


It isn't enough to tell me that, if you're going to say something is groundbreaking, tell us why, what does this anime do that sets it apart from any other anime. What does it do that truly puts it above everything else. Note this isn't me telling you it isn't good, but good and groundbreaking aren't the same.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTpcZKnNS58
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/15

namealreadytaken wrote:


LITVoid wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


LITVoid wrote:
wow. I normally don't like shitting on other people's tastes, but none of this shit is even remotely close to groundbreaking. Maybe it's good, yes I won't argue that, but there's a distinct difference between something that's good and something that's groundbreaking.


Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is as ground breaking as an anime can possibly be. (and it's very well done, too)


It isn't enough to tell me that, if you're going to say something is groundbreaking, tell us why, what does this anime do that sets it apart from any other anime. What does it do that truly puts it above everything else. Note this isn't me telling you it isn't good, but good and groundbreaking aren't the same.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTpcZKnNS58


that's a my bad, honestly bad at puns at this hour so let me apologize for that.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 11/8/15

LITVoid wrote:that's a my bad, honestly bad at puns at this hour so let me apologize for that.


the series is pretty good though. it was made using earthquake simulations and with the cooperation of the rescue team, fire department, and the military. the series gives a somewhat realistic portrayal of what could happen if a massive earthquake hit Japan. mind you, the series was made long before the 9.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Japan on March 2011 (of course, even the series creator couldn't imagine that the earthquake could result in a complete meltdown of the nuclear reactors). the characters in the show are not the heroes you'll find in a typical shounen series, but rather they're like anyone else. they don't even stand out too much compared to the background characters - this is to reinforce that they are just like any other people trying to cope with the aftermath of the quake. they're not any more special than those background characters. the main characters in the series are two kids who learn and grow from their experience, and they're helped by a motorcyclist who just happened to pass by. SamFury from MAL summed it up as a "human story", and that's pretty on point.

here's a trailer i found after posting, might want to check it out :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VyViKOvLdM
1481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/8/15 , edited 11/10/15
Astro Boy
Tetsujin 28-go
Mazinger Z
Mobile Suit Gundam
Cutey Honey
Evangelion
Akira (movie)
Berserk
Fist of the North Star
Sword of the Stranger (movie)
Ghost in the Shell (movie)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Casshern Sins
Sinba the White Lion
Ashita no Joe
Macross
Cowboy Bebop
Redline (movie)
Kinnikuman
K-On
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (movie)
Urusei Yatsura
Doraemon
I may have took groundbreaking very literally.

7419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
Black Butler: Book of Circus (You don't actually have to see the rest of the series if you don't want but you just may decide to after watching Book of Circus which is a standalone arc).

Brynhildr in the Darkness

Celestial Method

Strike the Blood

Beyond the Boundary

Guilty Crown

Blue Exorcist


6174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I will have to add a lot of these to my list
776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Cleveland, OH
Offline
Posted 11/8/15 , edited 11/8/15
I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking for anime as a whole, but His and Her Circumstances is choice if you like the idea of turning the school-oriented genre on its head. Though it was a manga originally, Hideaki Anno gave it great treatment and the character development is to die for. Definitely some of the most comically self-aware characters I've ever seen, anime and otherwise.

Another favorite of mine is Kids on the Slope. Also school-oriented, but there's a lot of innovative storytelling that doesn't stick to typical anime tropes (well, aside from bishie dudes). The music is also fantastic!

Other suggestions have already been said, including Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
celestial method is a series that looks good (comparable to P.A. Works visually), but the story, not so much. the drama is a bit forced, and you'll facepalm when you understand the reason for said drama (deliberately vague here as to avoid spoilers).
2700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
Eureka 7 is always good.
7214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Adanac
Offline
Posted 11/8/15
Lupin the Third.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 11/9/15
Karas


Then there is one show but its yuri...
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.