First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply After New York, which city has the most prestige?
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
Which city has more prestige, presence, desirability & respect?
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/11/15 , edited 11/11/15
I don't think cities have prestige. Cities are where criminals gather (because it's easier to find someone to take advantage of and it's easier to disappear after committing crimes). Cities are also relatively dirty when you compare them with smaller towns (less people = more responsibility to make the town a nicer place).
Posted 11/11/15 , edited 11/11/15
I think that depends on what scale you're referring to. In the US or globally? Also, I think prestige and other factors you've mentioned in really based on opinion. Many of my friends for example, including myself, wouldn't consider NYC the most prestigious or desirable place. I think a place like Paris probably has more fame/respect.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/11/15

Lapiine wrote:

I think that depends on what scale you're referring to. In the US or globally? Also, I think prestige and other factors you've mentioned in really based on opinion. Many of my friends for example, including myself, wouldn't consider NYC the most prestigious or desirable place. I think a place like Paris probably has more fame/respect.


NYC is essentially the global capital for finance and it is one of the most expensive places to live so yes that makes it one of the most prestigious. I would argue London is close to its equal while Paris is cool its not in the same league as NYC or London.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/11/15

relt95 wrote:

I don't think cities have prestige. Cities are where criminals gather (because it's easier to find someone to take advantage of and it's easier to disappear after committing crimes). Cities are also relatively dirty when you compare them with smaller towns (less people = more responsibility to make the town a nicer place).


Yea ok small towns usually have terrible economies and lack culture and good dining options. Cities have lots of jobs things to do and a great variety of people.
Posted 11/11/15
Why would anyone want to live in london it's a shit hole for the most of it.
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/11/15

biscuitnote wrote:


relt95 wrote:

I don't think cities have prestige. Cities are where criminals gather (because it's easier to find someone to take advantage of and it's easier to disappear after committing crimes). Cities are also relatively dirty when you compare them with smaller towns (less people = more responsibility to make the town a nicer place).


Yea ok small towns usually have terrible economies and lack culture and good dining options. Cities have lots of jobs things to do and a great variety of people.


But why do you think so many people live in the suburbs and commute an hour+ everyday? Because small towns are much nicer than big cities. Sure cities have lots of things to do, but why live there when you can live 30 min to an hour away from all that stuff and be in a much nicer place?
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/11/15

haikinka wrote:

Why would anyone want to live in london it's a shit hole for the most of it.


Have you ever been there?
Posted 11/11/15

biscuitnote wrote:

Have you ever been there?


Frequently.
14924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/11/15 , edited 11/11/15
You really have to define what the criteria is. If you go by "most expensive place to live", then San Francisco, Tokyo and Moscow would all be serious contenders, with Tokyo being the favorite.

I disagree with you that cities have "a great variety of people". That's not a good criteria because, what if this great variety of people absolutely suck? The rudest people I've ever met live in big cities around the world, and they're rude because they're always in a hurry and they're constantly under pressure from work, family and financial obligations. I've met rude people in NYC, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Madrid and Tokyo. When I travel, I try to spend as little time as possible in the big cities simply because I don't want to deal with rude people.

In general, I would say that NYC and LA are pretty equal in terms of standing. Most people go to LA because they think it's close to Hollywood and Disney (it's not...). I think San Francisco is more of a global commerce center than LA, but LA is closer to the movie and TV production capital of the world, so I think it makes up for that.
48509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
Jerusalem
People have been fighting over it for centuries
22958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
1.Hong Kong
2.Chicago
3.Paris
4.SF
18904 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
That was a joke......right?
6646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
There is something called a Global City or Alpha City. These are cities that, based on economic, political, cultural, communication, media, and social dynamics of the world have given these cities a strong, tangible effect on the world.

Currently there are recognized two Alpha++ cities: New York City and London. Their accumulation of economic, cultural, and political centers in these cities give them powerful global reach.

Cities that are approaching these two giants in power are Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, and Dubai with Sydney and Beijing as notable mentions as well.
7253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / "10/10" - IGN
Offline
Posted 11/11/15
Prestigious cities? Paris. I think Paris is more culturally renown than New York, but New York is more economically renown.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.