First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Generalizations and why they aren't that bad.
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 11/16/15
So, I'm not in the majority, I'm not a leftist and I fully understand well placed judgments, generalizations and hatred.

This topic is about generalizations, in people go up in arms unless you manage to detail every single person from a certain collective or demographic. Since this is impossible, we need generalizations to get a better understanding of demographic dynamics since there's always going to be one person that is an exception.

Generalizations like. "Black people steal" or "Mexicans are prone to violence" are met with negative reception, even when accompanied by reports and statistics. You're not allowed to weary of a black person stealing or weary of white person with a supremacist complex in positions of power because you'd be prejudice in some form and it would be unfair to the majority for a "few" bad apples.

Which is okay for the most part, but what about generalizations that are true? Why do we hate those so much? For example, in terms of wealth, blacks(AA) are the least likely to make large sums of money, so in reference to this, eHarmony and other dating sites have statistics of blacks being less desired because of their predisposition to be...poor and less likely to have money on hand. This applies to men moreso than women of course.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/

In sports, people typically prefer African Americans or Blacks because of their tendency to perform and excel above everyone else.

Now these are fine when not pointed out. But when they are honestly about these choices and social constructs, people seem to take issue with the fact that there's a generalization and not whether it's true or not.

I get lots of flak on my blogs, websites and youtube channel about my explicit criticism of women and saying "women" in general instead of "some women". The reason for this being that more often than not, women engage in whatever I'm talking about so there's no need to say "some women" when most of them do it.

So I can see how generalizations can be bad when it's an overblown statistic. But what if it's true? It's not wrong to generalize that mice are disease ridden, even though we know not every mouse ever is disease, but simply because mice won't take to social media to berate us for our generalizations. This is something I like to discuss from time to time since it makes my blood boil when women throw around "internalized misogyny" at me or talk too much about how I'm generalizing rather than if I'm right or not -- and I typically am.

What do you think? Do you think generalizations are wrong, even if they're statistically and scientifically proven? I don't think they're inherently bad, they make sense for a civilization that consists of billions of people and you cant account for every single one of them.
8524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/15
I think that people need to give mice a chance, like, they cant talk, they dont know what their doing wrong, people dont have to kill them. they should make a shelter for mice and give them food. That way mice can live happily and people can not care about where the mice are.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/16/15
Generalizations, while sometimes ugly, tend to simplify life when you are already living in an overly complex world. They are a necessary evil that gives us a basic framework for how to deal with people we are not familiar with.

Now, once you know the person, generalizations go right out the window.
Posted 11/16/15

ILuvCats11 wrote:

I think that people need to give mice a chance, like, they cant talk, they dont know what their doing wrong, people dont have to kill them. they should make a shelter for mice and give them food. That way mice can live happily and people can not care about where the mice are.


I'm dying. That's too funny.
8524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/15

Urboistar wrote:


ILuvCats11 wrote:

I think that people need to give mice a chance, like, they cant talk, they dont know what their doing wrong, people dont have to kill them. they should make a shelter for mice and give them food. That way mice can live happily and people can not care about where the mice are.


I'm dying. That's too funny.


Like, im actually serious I do believe mice should have a chance though
Posted 11/16/15
Most women are revolting cum buckets.
I'm not misogynistic.
It's a fact that women are revolting cum buckets.
Do you think I'm wrong?
You can't argue with my logic [link to porn site].
Ugh, SJW feminazis everywhere.

/thread
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 11/16/15 , edited 11/16/15

Hrafna wrote:

Most women are revolting cum buckets.
I'm not misogynistic.
It's a fact that women are revolting cum buckets.
Do you think I'm wrong?
You can't argue with my logic [link to porn site].
Ugh, SJW feminazis everywhere.

/thread


It's almost kinda funny, because the less rights and privileges women have, the better society seems to function(And the happier women are). Coddled concubines are actually happier than your modern feminist career woman.
Posted 11/16/15 , edited 11/16/15
Generalizations are bad because they're offensive. Ever heard of a white lie? Sometimes emotions and manners rule over facts. You're not a robot, why are you so obsessed with facts anyway? Does everything have to be true? You must be a boring person.

I'd like to live under the belief that most black people are kind-hearted, even if statistics say otherwise. That's why I intentionally leave my wallet hanging out when I walk past any of them to show my trust.
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 11/16/15

pIump wrote:

Generalizations are bad because they're offensive. Ever heard of a white lie? Sometimes emotions and manners rule over facts. You're not a robot, why are you so obsessed with facts anyway? Does everything have to be true? You must be a boring person.


I'm saving this comment so hard. This incapsulates Social Justice so succinctly and perfectly.
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 11/16/15
Generalizations are good as long as you know that they are generalizations. You know that something may be true for a lot of <demographic here>s but not all. You can suspect that something may be true of them, but you can't assume it to be true.
1344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/15

Magical-Soul wrote:

It's almost kinda funny, because the less rights and privileges women have, the better society seems to function(And the happier women are). Coddled concubines are actually happier than your modern feminist career woman.


Your point of view reminds me of Phyllis Schlafly's anti-ERA arguments. Women on the left said, "Women and men should have the same rights," while women on the right said, "Well, some of us actually benefit from gender inequality." Generalizations have their place in helping people conceptualize the world around them, but there's still a lot of value in nuance.

Creepily enough, your statement right there also reminded me of certain pro-slavery arguments that were connected to racial stereotypes of the day, though I'd rather not go further into that if I can help it.
8016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 11/16/15

pIump wrote:
I'd like to live under the belief that most black people are kind-hearted, even if statistics say otherwise. That's why I intentionally leave my wallet hanging out when I walk past any of them to show my trust.


that actually comes off more like you are waiting for someone to slip up.

I trust black people the same way i trust any other kind of people.

"would i take a wallet from me?" "yes." "why wouldn't anyone else?" "i should probably not have my wallet hanging out."
2988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Fort Worth, Texas
Offline
Posted 11/16/15

BlazingRagnarok wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:

It's almost kinda funny, because the less rights and privileges women have, the better society seems to function(And the happier women are). Coddled concubines are actually happier than your modern feminist career woman.


Your point of view reminds me of Phyllis Schlafly's anti-ERA arguments. Women on the left said, "Women and men should have the same rights," while women on the right said, "Well, some of us actually benefit from gender inequality." Generalizations have their place in helping people conceptualize the world around them, but there's still a lot of value in nuance.

Creepily enough, your statement right there also reminded me of certain pro-slavery arguments that were connected to racial stereotypes of the day, though I'd rather not go further into that if I can help it.



Concubines are basically pampered slaves. Women have held that title many times before. The difference between a leftist and a center left is that leftist tend to have predispositions. Like any difference between anyone means inequality and should be changed to fit a homogeneous and none sexual dimorphic society.

Women probably shouldn't be disposable property, but they are hardly treated as such in history. Having unequal freedoms is better than equal slavery. But it warrants discussion as to if women in power always crumbles or dissolves. Surely there were some matriarchal society, but they all die as soon as they spawn. Women dominated tribes/groups either got conquered or pretty much just vanquished.

It also warrants discussion as to if women with less rights and privileges are actually better off than when they are left to their own devices. It's a bit of a western taboo to discuss women and their psychology and how their behavior affects the rest of society. But these are actually interesting questions that only exist in the manosphere, feminism and the mainstream SJW crowd will cringe at the thought of objective discussion of women.

You can leave your "creep" feelings at the door, I'd like for people in this topic to use their logical brain and not their feelings too often.
Posted 11/16/15 , edited 11/16/15
You obviously just hate women!!

But generalizations aren't inherently bad it's what you do with them. If you go round putting all black people in prison just because of "a few bad apples", it's a pretty mean thing to do.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/16/15
Why it is when people talk about generalizations it's almost always a conversation about justifying their racism and sexism?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.