First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply thoughts on bringing syrian refugees over to america?
14934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/18/15 , edited 11/18/15

wavves wrote:
Even if some of the attackers were refugees (which I doubt) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512 this source shows they were French Nationals.
That is only a minority, and cannot speak for the entirety of the refugees
You're right I'm not certain that they don't want to kill us, but neither are you. However, most of them want to run away from conflict and not cause it, their aim is to achieve protection.
They can't achieve safety themselves. Firstly they have no food, homes etc let alone weapons. You're basically saying that the Syrian citizens should take on ISIS when not even the Western powers can't manage that. Clearly you're not susceptible to take in the other side's point of view.
It seems like you're only soaking in the media's words, believing everything they say. It's strange how the media only highlights the Paris attack but not the fact that days after France bombed Syria killing citizens.


Your article fails to mention that many of the have dual citizenship. You don't need to give up your citizenship to Syria to become a French or Belgium citizen.

I deal with immigrants to the US on a daily basis. The first question out of the majority of their mouths is "Where is my social security card". There is no "thank you", no cries of happiness at having the chance to enjoy freedom, no feeling of gratitude and wanting to contribute to make this country better, etc. Instead, it is always about money and free benefits.

And yes, I have spoken to Syrians before. And Afghanis. And Pakistanis, Ethiopians and every other nationality that is illegally entering Europe. And it is the same damn thing every time - "Where is my social security card".

So, excuse me if I lack sympathy for people who, if they're not coming here to bomb the crap out of us because we don't listen to their God, are here solely for whatever free stuff they can get.

I disagree with you about achieving safety on their own. The early American settlers were able to fight against the British, and many of them did not have homes (because the British would kill your family and take your wealth if you went against them) and the Americans' weapons, at the time, were often rudimentary, at best. How is it that they were able to fight for their freedom? Oh, I know..they realized that freedom involves sacrifice and were willing to put their lives, and that of their family, on the line.

Many illegal immigrants are not the kind, caring people that you think they are. Many of them have criminal histories that involve more than illegal entry to the US. And in the case of the Syrians, all news sources are indicating that at least one of the bombers was a Syrian refugee.

Happily, though, a new CNN poll just came out staring that 53% of all Americans do not want to allow any Syrians into the US. So, at least we're not all ignoring the facts.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 11/18/15 , edited 11/20/15
I don't care anymore. I feel for those people but they're going to come regardless of what I think.

I'm just tired of getting hit over the fucking head with 'CHRISTIAN BLAHBLAHBLAH' when half of the ones screaming about it would happily put gays, women and now Syrians into concretration camps if they can get away with it.
Posted 11/18/15

Akage-chan wrote:


wavves wrote:
Even if some of the attackers were refugees (which I doubt) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512 this source shows they were French Nationals.
That is only a minority, and cannot speak for the entirety of the refugees
You're right I'm not certain that they don't want to kill us, but neither are you. However, most of them want to run away from conflict and not cause it, their aim is to achieve protection.
They can't achieve safety themselves. Firstly they have no food, homes etc let alone weapons. You're basically saying that the Syrian citizens should take on ISIS when not even the Western powers can't manage that. Clearly you're not susceptible to take in the other side's point of view.
It seems like you're only soaking in the media's words, believing everything they say. It's strange how the media only highlights the Paris attack but not the fact that days after France bombed Syria killing citizens.


Your article fails to mention that many of the have dual citizenship. You don't need to give up your citizenship to Syria to become a French or Belgium citizen.

I deal with immigrants to the US on a daily basis. The first question out of the majority of their mouths is "Where is my social security card". There is no "thank you", no cries of happiness at having the chance to enjoy freedom, no feeling of gratitude and wanting to contribute to make this country better, etc. Instead, it is always about money and free benefits.

And yes, I have spoken to Syrians before. And Afghanis. And Pakistanis, Ethiopians and every other nationality that is illegally entering Europe. And it is the same damn thing every time - "Where is my social security card".

So, excuse me if I lack sympathy for people who, if they're not coming here to bomb the crap out of us because we don't listen to their God, are here solely for whatever free stuff they can get.

I disagree with you about achieving safety on their own. The early American settlers were able to fight against the British, and many of them did not have homes (because the British would kill your family and take your wealth if you went against them) and the Americans' weapons, at the time, were often rudimentary, at best. How is it that they were able to fight for their freedom? Oh, I know..they realized that freedom involves sacrifice and were willing to put their lives, and that of their family, on the line.

Many illegal immigrants are not the kind, caring people that you think they are. Many of them have criminal histories that involve more than illegal entry to the US. And in the case of the Syrians, all news sources are indicating that at least one of the bombers was a Syrian refugee.

Happily, though, a new CNN poll just came out staring that 53% of all Americans do not want to allow any Syrians into the US. So, at least we're not all ignoring the facts.


As a refugee, I can understand why someone would want to flee. My family fled the Khmer Rouge. :/ Dissent was all but subjugated and the spillover and invasion by Vietnam only exacerbate the number of immigrants to the US.
37338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Charleston WV
Offline
Posted 11/18/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Akage-chan wrote:


wavves wrote:
Even if some of the attackers were refugees (which I doubt) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512 this source shows they were French Nationals.
That is only a minority, and cannot speak for the entirety of the refugees
You're right I'm not certain that they don't want to kill us, but neither are you. However, most of them want to run away from conflict and not cause it, their aim is to achieve protection.
They can't achieve safety themselves. Firstly they have no food, homes etc let alone weapons. You're basically saying that the Syrian citizens should take on ISIS when not even the Western powers can't manage that. Clearly you're not susceptible to take in the other side's point of view.
It seems like you're only soaking in the media's words, believing everything they say. It's strange how the media only highlights the Paris attack but not the fact that days after France bombed Syria killing citizens.


Your article fails to mention that many of the have dual citizenship. You don't need to give up your citizenship to Syria to become a French or Belgium citizen.

I deal with immigrants to the US on a daily basis. The first question out of the majority of their mouths is "Where is my social security card". There is no "thank you", no cries of happiness at having the chance to enjoy freedom, no feeling of gratitude and wanting to contribute to make this country better, etc. Instead, it is always about money and free benefits.

And yes, I have spoken to Syrians before. And Afghanis. And Pakistanis, Ethiopians and every other nationality that is illegally entering Europe. And it is the same damn thing every time - "Where is my social security card".

So, excuse me if I lack sympathy for people who, if they're not coming here to bomb the crap out of us because we don't listen to their God, are here solely for whatever free stuff they can get.

I disagree with you about achieving safety on their own. The early American settlers were able to fight against the British, and many of them did not have homes (because the British would kill your family and take your wealth if you went against them) and the Americans' weapons, at the time, were often rudimentary, at best. How is it that they were able to fight for their freedom? Oh, I know..they realized that freedom involves sacrifice and were willing to put their lives, and that of their family, on the line.

Many illegal immigrants are not the kind, caring people that you think they are. Many of them have criminal histories that involve more than illegal entry to the US. And in the case of the Syrians, all news sources are indicating that at least one of the bombers was a Syrian refugee.

Happily, though, a new CNN poll just came out staring that 53% of all Americans do not want to allow any Syrians into the US. So, at least we're not all ignoring the facts.


As a refugee, I can understand why someone would want to flee. My family fled the Khmer Rouge. :/ Dissent was all but subjugated and the spillover and invasion by Vietnam only exacerbate the number of immigrants to the US.





To be honest I do not think it has anything to do with being a refugee at all. It has to do with being where they are from that causes skepticism, and fear. If it was refugees from Canada then I do not think anyone would bat an eye. I do think the refugees need to placed somewhere safe, and I am even willing to donate to the cause to help, however my only point is that we need fix our own country first so they need to be placed elsewhere. Before we can safely take in anyone we need to address the issues that is causing million of Americans to be out of jobs, and some without homes. Fear is also a factor because of past events, plus their promise of a attack on our soil. Their is no real way to do a proper background check on these people. Are they bad for that? No but they are not taking enough security measures to ensure the safety of others.

18728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 11/18/15

coolfire719 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Akage-chan wrote:


wavves wrote:
Even if some of the attackers were refugees (which I doubt) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512 this source shows they were French Nationals.
That is only a minority, and cannot speak for the entirety of the refugees
You're right I'm not certain that they don't want to kill us, but neither are you. However, most of them want to run away from conflict and not cause it, their aim is to achieve protection.
They can't achieve safety themselves. Firstly they have no food, homes etc let alone weapons. You're basically saying that the Syrian citizens should take on ISIS when not even the Western powers can't manage that. Clearly you're not susceptible to take in the other side's point of view.
It seems like you're only soaking in the media's words, believing everything they say. It's strange how the media only highlights the Paris attack but not the fact that days after France bombed Syria killing citizens.


Your article fails to mention that many of the have dual citizenship. You don't need to give up your citizenship to Syria to become a French or Belgium citizen.

I deal with immigrants to the US on a daily basis. The first question out of the majority of their mouths is "Where is my social security card". There is no "thank you", no cries of happiness at having the chance to enjoy freedom, no feeling of gratitude and wanting to contribute to make this country better, etc. Instead, it is always about money and free benefits.

And yes, I have spoken to Syrians before. And Afghanis. And Pakistanis, Ethiopians and every other nationality that is illegally entering Europe. And it is the same damn thing every time - "Where is my social security card".

So, excuse me if I lack sympathy for people who, if they're not coming here to bomb the crap out of us because we don't listen to their God, are here solely for whatever free stuff they can get.

I disagree with you about achieving safety on their own. The early American settlers were able to fight against the British, and many of them did not have homes (because the British would kill your family and take your wealth if you went against them) and the Americans' weapons, at the time, were often rudimentary, at best. How is it that they were able to fight for their freedom? Oh, I know..they realized that freedom involves sacrifice and were willing to put their lives, and that of their family, on the line.

Many illegal immigrants are not the kind, caring people that you think they are. Many of them have criminal histories that involve more than illegal entry to the US. And in the case of the Syrians, all news sources are indicating that at least one of the bombers was a Syrian refugee.

Happily, though, a new CNN poll just came out staring that 53% of all Americans do not want to allow any Syrians into the US. So, at least we're not all ignoring the facts.


As a refugee, I can understand why someone would want to flee. My family fled the Khmer Rouge. :/ Dissent was all but subjugated and the spillover and invasion by Vietnam only exacerbate the number of immigrants to the US.





To be honest I do not think it has anything to do with being a refugee at all. It has to do with being where they are from that causes skepticism, and fear. If it was refugees from Canada then I do not think anyone would bat an eye. I do think the refugees need to placed somewhere safe, and I am even willing to donate to the cause to help, however my only point is that we need fix our own country first so they need to be placed elsewhere. Before we can safely take in anyone we need to address the issues that is causing million of Americans to be out of jobs, and some without homes. Fear is also a factor because of past events, plus their promise of a attack on our soil. Their is no real way to do a proper background check on these people. Are they bad for that? No but they are not taking enough security measures to ensure the safety of others.


that is precisely how I feel
let them be taken care of etc but we need to take care of ourselves, over 10k just for the first batch coming?? no way, we have ppl who need jobs who are homeless etc, imagine how it will affect our economy, and who is to say they will even go back after it is all over??
7571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Online
Posted 11/18/15 , edited 11/18/15
We weren't paranoid about Cuban and Vietnamese refugees being secret communist operatives plotting to overthrow our government. Let them in.


Akage-chan wrote:


Ruby804b wrote:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Why do we even have a statue of liberty anymore when no one wants to, you know, do what it says?


I don't remember there being a line on there asking for us to take in "those that want to kill us and destroy what we believe in because we believe in a different Spaghetti Monster". Because that's exactly what we'd be doing by letting them all in.




Christians and Muslims worship the same god, so that's not what we'd be doing.
Posted 11/18/15

coolfire719 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Akage-chan wrote:


wavves wrote:
Even if some of the attackers were refugees (which I doubt) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34832512 this source shows they were French Nationals.
That is only a minority, and cannot speak for the entirety of the refugees
You're right I'm not certain that they don't want to kill us, but neither are you. However, most of them want to run away from conflict and not cause it, their aim is to achieve protection.
They can't achieve safety themselves. Firstly they have no food, homes etc let alone weapons. You're basically saying that the Syrian citizens should take on ISIS when not even the Western powers can't manage that. Clearly you're not susceptible to take in the other side's point of view.
It seems like you're only soaking in the media's words, believing everything they say. It's strange how the media only highlights the Paris attack but not the fact that days after France bombed Syria killing citizens.


Your article fails to mention that many of the have dual citizenship. You don't need to give up your citizenship to Syria to become a French or Belgium citizen.

I deal with immigrants to the US on a daily basis. The first question out of the majority of their mouths is "Where is my social security card". There is no "thank you", no cries of happiness at having the chance to enjoy freedom, no feeling of gratitude and wanting to contribute to make this country better, etc. Instead, it is always about money and free benefits.

And yes, I have spoken to Syrians before. And Afghanis. And Pakistanis, Ethiopians and every other nationality that is illegally entering Europe. And it is the same damn thing every time - "Where is my social security card".

So, excuse me if I lack sympathy for people who, if they're not coming here to bomb the crap out of us because we don't listen to their God, are here solely for whatever free stuff they can get.

I disagree with you about achieving safety on their own. The early American settlers were able to fight against the British, and many of them did not have homes (because the British would kill your family and take your wealth if you went against them) and the Americans' weapons, at the time, were often rudimentary, at best. How is it that they were able to fight for their freedom? Oh, I know..they realized that freedom involves sacrifice and were willing to put their lives, and that of their family, on the line.

Many illegal immigrants are not the kind, caring people that you think they are. Many of them have criminal histories that involve more than illegal entry to the US. And in the case of the Syrians, all news sources are indicating that at least one of the bombers was a Syrian refugee.

Happily, though, a new CNN poll just came out staring that 53% of all Americans do not want to allow any Syrians into the US. So, at least we're not all ignoring the facts.


As a refugee, I can understand why someone would want to flee. My family fled the Khmer Rouge. :/ Dissent was all but subjugated and the spillover and invasion by Vietnam only exacerbate the number of immigrants to the US.





To be honest I do not think it has anything to do with being a refugee at all. It has to do with being where they are from that causes skepticism, and fear. If it was refugees from Canada then I do not think anyone would bat an eye. I do think the refugees need to placed somewhere safe, and I am even willing to donate to the cause to help, however my only point is that we need fix our own country first so they need to be placed elsewhere. Before we can safely take in anyone we need to address the issues that is causing million of Americans to be out of jobs, and some without homes. Fear is also a factor because of past events, plus their promise of a attack on our soil. Their is no real way to do a proper background check on these people. Are they bad for that? No but they are not taking enough security measures to ensure the safety of others.


Problems like these are time sensitive. You can't possible fix every issue of your nation before taking on refugees, it's just not practical. However, I don't think you're saying this, you're saying that just as much importance need be put on the welfare of American citizens just as much as these refugees.
14934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/18/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

We weren't paranoid about Cuban and Vietnamese refugees being secret communist operatives plotting to overthrow our government. Let them in.



Apples/oranges. Neither of these groups weren't hijacking planes and killing people.



Christians and Muslims worship the same god, so that's not what we'd be doing.


No, they don't worship the same God. The Muslim view of God is distinctly different from the Christian view. If they were the same, there would be no need to worship differently. Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God, whereas Muslims, while acknowledging that Jesus was a prophet, do not view Jesus as being the son of God.
Posted 11/18/15

Akage-chan wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:

We weren't paranoid about Cuban and Vietnamese refugees being secret communist operatives plotting to overthrow our government. Let them in.



Apples/oranges. Neither of these groups weren't hijacking planes and killing people.



Christians and Muslims worship the same god, so that's not what we'd be doing.


No, they don't worship the same God. The Muslim view of God is distinctly different from the Christian view. If they were the same, there would be no need to worship differently. Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God, whereas Muslims, while acknowledging that Jesus was a prophet, do not view Jesus as being the son of God.


I don't understand, would Episcopalian be different from Lutherans and Catholics or something? I don't quite understand how Islam is a separate religion while the others are merely denominations.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/18/15

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

We weren't paranoid about Cuban and Vietnamese refugees being secret communist operatives plotting to overthrow our government. Let them in.
too bad they weren't as sympathetic to the Japanese
14934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/18/15 , edited 11/18/15
^ in Christianity, a lot of the branches are simply due to interpretation of the Bible. Some sects allow divorce and do not view it as a sin. Some sects allow homosexuality while others consider it a sin. Many of these divisions in Christianity were due to the excesses of the Catholic Church or because a certain king wanted his way and created his own version of Christianity to support that.

With Islam, your two main divisions are the Shia and the Sunni. The principle difference between the branches revolves on whether or not the Prophet Mohammed had designated a leader for the religion after his death and who that person was. Shia and Sunni sects have been fighting this point of contention ever since.
Posted 11/18/15

Akage-chan wrote:

^ in Christianity, a lot of the branches are simply due to interpretation of the Bible. Some sects allow divorce and do not view it as a sin. Some sects allow homosexuality while others consider it a sin. Many of these divisions in Christianity were due to the excesses of the Catholic Church or because a certain king wanted his way and created his own version of Christianity to support that.

With Islam, your two main divisions are the Shia and the Sunni. The principle difference between the branches revolves on whether or not the Prophet Mohammed had designated a leader for the religion after his death and who that person was. Shia and Sunni sects have been fighting this point of contention ever since.


That didn't really answer my question. :/
Jikkle 
39194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 11/18/15
Bringing them in without being able to screen them or properly take care and integrate them would be irresponsible. It's like adopting a child while not having a house or a job.

It's the government's responsibility to ensure the safety and well being of it's own citizen's first before helping another country and to me allowing the refugees in would be a major liability.

Their neighbors in the Middle East should be the ones primarily responsible for taking them in since they align culturally and religiously so that they would be able to quickly adapt and integrate into their new environment without the myriad of issues they would face elsewhere.

Now if the US wanted to support that and help financially and logistically I can get behind that. But just letting people in and claiming it's humanitarian aid while calling people who disagree bigots and racists is just stupid imo.
788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 11/18/15
I'm not saying no, I'm just wondering where they would live.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 11/18/15 , edited 11/20/15

Ruby804b wrote:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Why do we even have a statue of liberty anymore when no one wants to, you know, do what it says?




The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.


Considering what happened in France recently, and even today, is it really that surprising.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.