First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Stunning and Brave Teen Who Made Bomb-Styled Clock To Teach Us Not To Unjustly Profile Others Asks For $15 Million For T
7597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 11/23/15

bobland wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:

America.

loves lawsuits.


More than anyone else.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/23/15

MysticGon wrote:


kamahl01 wrote:

As much as I thought the school system was bigoted....15 million? Thats tax payer money, don't think he deserves it for that. He deserves an apology, not the right to become a millionaire.


Fucking this.


Seconded. People thinking this brat deserves 15 mil need to gtfo out of this country.
14949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 11/23/15

maxgale wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:


maxgale wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:



Every account of events I've been able to find has consistently held it that Ahmed maintained it was a clock throughout the event and following investigation. He seems to have made no explicit attempts to provoke a response from law enforcement or other officials. But then your argument relies on his attempts being implicit rather than explicit, that he was hoping to provoke a response by simply showing the clock off. This is however undermined by him repeatedly insisting that it was not a bomb to his teachers and law enforcement officials. Suggesting that this was all part of an elaborate scheme to provoke that response anyway is speculative. You can't actually know what he was thinking by continuing to have the clock out on display. If he was just showing it off without explaining what it was you might be able to make that argument, but he repeatedly stated it was just a clock. There is no way to prove his intent was to willfully provoke a reaction from law enforcement, and his actual behavior consisted of numerous attempts to assuage fears on the part of school officials and later law enforcement. There were no reasonable grounds to press charges, something the police officers realized as this never actually went to court.

As for the lawsuit itself, yes I think the sum is outrageously exorbitant. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to sue for damages in the wake of a bungled police response, but certainly not for that amount.




He was also insistent on not putting it away when asked, it apparently went off in multiple classes (which it could only have been programmed to do, meaning it was intentional to making suspicious noises and draw attention to it), and he refused to do anything more than state "It's a clock" to the police and school authorities, and not answer any questions regarding the previously mentioned facts.



We can then look at his father, who has a rather shady history, and now with these new facts of the $15 million dollar lawsuit make a reasonable guess as to the motives behind the affair.


it's a clock, clocks beep dude. it's like someone setting an alarm on their phones and it going off, just significantly less common since not everyone makes one from scratch. And again stating it's a clock sort of defeats the purpose of staging a hoax. I mean at the very least this would have to be a very halfhearted attempt given his constantly undermining his own bomb hoax by repeatedly saying his bomb wasn't a bomb. There isn't any legal basis here, if there was he would've been prosecuted. As it happens no legal charges were filed because they didn't have a case.

As for the rest, uh yeah sure. Sorry but that's fishwives' gossip levels of speculation. If I'm going to be cynical about this I'm going to assume this is them capitalizing on the situation rather than it all being part of a carefully orchestrated ruse. That frankly makes far more sense.




Clocks beep when you program them to go off, and one has to reprogram it to go off again.


Which means the child knowingly programmed it to go off in class, and after he was told to put away reprogrammed it to go off again in subsequent classes.



Stating it is a clock does not defeat the purpose of staging a hoax, rather it is the opposite: the entire premise was that the was "unjustly victimized", he is not going to admit it was intentional.


And again, political and economic pressure, as they tend to in these cases, are the reason he was not prosecuted.



every source I've checked suggested it went off exactly once more in his English class where it was confiscated. Some place it in his backpack, others suggest he had it out. Other sources suggest he regularly brought similar custom gadgets to school with him before this. I can only really substantiate two definite times when he talked to the teachers about the clock. The first time where he was advised to put it away, and the second time where it may or may not have been in his backpack and the alarm went off.

As for the rest, still all speculative. I think you're reading way too much into events to make them sound sinister and this is sounding more and more like a conspiracy theory the longer we go on.
Posted 11/24/15

vanguard1234523 wrote:

Sure it looked like a bomb...if you squinted really hard, applied a liberal degree of racism and don't actually know what a bomb looks like.


Are you saying people should know what a bomb looks like? I see wires. It looks like a bomb to me.
41713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/24/15 , edited 11/24/15
Welcome to America. Where everyone sues everyone for everything.

Who's to say the kid didn't design the clock the way he did to troll everyone into giving him a reaction? Hasn't anyone ever considered the possibility that he didn't design it to resemble a "bomb" (at least, what television has shown us to be the typical appearance of one, which is false ofc, bombs can come in many less overt forms, but I digress), with any malicious intent, aside from maybe wanting to screw with his classmates and teachers? Teenage boys do dumb shit like that thoughtlessly. Things just happened to reach epic proportions and not in the way he may've intended. But who's to say the kid didn't purposely design it to get a bit of a rise out of people for his amusement. Not knowing, naturally, that the rash form of trolololing would lead to the clock being mistaken for an actual bomb, because everybody immediately launched into panic mode upon seeing it- and to all the other events thereafter.

We really don't know, honestly. I'm just offering up a hypothesis as someone who was once a rather mischievous teenager and close friends with a few of my male classmates back in middle school. I'm not a teenage boy, but I do know that they will often make duuuuuumb decisions.
9451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Online
Posted 11/24/15
I think 15 mil is actually a bit low. 150 mil would be more reasonable.
355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/24/15 , edited 11/24/15
He's probably being set up by whoever advised him so the can discredit him. In no way could I believe the law suit was planned before his actions to bring the clock to school.

Even if I think that there was a degree of manipulation involved I do believe that his motivation at worst was solely to capture that if he was any other boy, he wouldn't have got into this whole lot of trouble.

I wouldn't think he's at all that clever enough to have considered how his actions will be perceived by someone who's cynical.

It's best to check which disposition you are looking in to this from the outside considering how outrageous the money they're asking for is - It's almost like someone wanted the news to get a whiff of this.

Looking at how his father reacted to the whole thing and what he told the police, I think he was easy bait

The message is clear, you can't go around unwittingly embarrassing and undermining the establishment.

I'd like to know why anyone believes this has a chance of making it before court.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 11/24/15

vanguard1234523 wrote:

Sure it looked like a bomb...if you squinted really hard, applied a liberal degree of racism and don't actually know what a bomb looks like.


Ahhhahahahahahahaaahahahaahahaaahaha

Shutup.
2362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 11/24/15
Everyone is acting like a teacher know exactly what a real bomb looks like, the thing looked like a stereotypical Hollywood bomb, so obviously they're gonna call it in. I believe that any student carrying that would have been arrested. Hey, an apology is enough because playing it safe never hurts, and the whole White House thing is just a bonus.

It honestly pisses me off to no end that this kid thinks it's ok to play the victim game and deserves $15 Million on top of all this other stuff he already got. Every time I see the picture of that kids smug face saying he wants $15 Million, it makes me wanna bash his face in. Oh, you made a questionable clock, you got arrested, but it's only because you were stereotyped against? Hmmmm... maybe it was the fact you were carrying a fucking ticking briefcase around a school full of kids and people that don't have a single clue on how to tell a bomb from a clock in a case apart.
3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/24/15

byClear wrote:

Everyone is acting like a teacher know exactly what a real bomb looks like, the thing looked like a stereotypical Hollywood bomb, so obviously they're gonna call it in. I believe that any student carrying that would have been arrested. Hey, an apology is enough because playing it safe never hurts, and the whole White House thing is just a bonus.

It honestly pisses me off to no end that this kid thinks it's ok to play the victim game and deserves $15 Million on top of all this other stuff he already got. Every time I see the picture of that kids smug face saying he wants $15 Million, it makes me wanna bash his face in. Oh, you made a questionable clock, you got arrested, but it's only because you were stereotyped against? Hmmmm... maybe it was the fact you were carrying a fucking ticking briefcase around a school full of kids and people that don't have a single clue on how to tell a bomb from a clock in a case apart.


Action wasn't taken because the clock was believed to be an actual bomb, but because it was believed to be a hoax bomb. If the staff thought there was an actual bomb on the premises, they would have evacuated the building.


maxgale wrote:

False equivalencies ahoy!

Pop-tart gun kid did not intend to make anyone believe he had an actual gun and no one could reasonably believe it to be one.

Same with the other kids.

Author of that article is taking a real problem (zero tolerance policies) and trying to use it to shield the "Clock Kid" with it, despite the relevant facts being entirely different.


http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Innocent+until+proven+guilty

We can talk about what Ahmed did or didn't do, but unless we can prove intent on his part then the case falls apart. The staff were aware that it wasn't a real bomb, Ahmed repeatedly stated that it was a clock, and there's no hard evidence that proves that he intended to cause any sort of panic.
3111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 11/24/15
Hey, kids! Do you want to be millionaires? Sure you do! Try some of the following for fun and profit!

(1). Gut some old electronics, stuff them in a metal box and take them to school! Hilarity ensues!

(2). Take a pressure cooker and some old fireworks wrappers and put them in your backpack! Attend a big sporting event! Fun for everyone!

(3). Get together with some friends, gear up with Airsoft Kalashnikovs and pay a visit to a nighttime, big city rock concert! Yell "Admiral is Ackbar!" Won't they be surprised by your witty reference!

If any of the lame bastards give you any grief, sue for millions! That'll fix their wagon!

WARNING: Payment not guaranteed. May result in imprisonment and/or multiple gunshot wounds, some of which may be fatal.
3326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 11/24/15
^ Admiral is Ackbar! NICE!
13626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/24/15
How about a jaw breaker and some gum?
Posted 11/24/15
I think that's a ridiculous amount money
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 11/25/15
Fox News know how to find their horse shit, that they allways are able to make "news" (bait) all around the world and have becomed a pro fisher.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.