First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What does your love drug look like?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ruby804b wrote:


People with this mindset were the most annoying part of being in the military..


Which mindset, that a soldier belongs in conflict, I didn't sign up to grow fat on home soil. That ya should be honest about what you want, or the general laissez-faire attitude about the exact regulations concerning Fraternization? Pro-tip it ain't Fraternization if they are flying a German Flag on their uniform and I am flying a Canadian Flag.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

netdisorder wrote:


And is "you civilian types" a condescending term used in wherever you were posted in the military? Seems like it but I could be wrong.


Yeah I suppose you could consider it an condescending term, though really it's nothing more then fact. I mean soldiers were once civilians but we tend to identify with the new culture we are now a part of. We find civilians almost an entire new species so like our enemy we invent new terms for them. Civilian types is probably the more polite of terms I heard in my time in uniform.
8025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Naked in a pine tree
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ranwolf wrote:


netdisorder wrote:


And is "you civilian types" a condescending term used in wherever you were posted in the military? Seems like it but I could be wrong.


Yeah I suppose you could consider it an condescending term, though really it's nothing more then fact. I mean soldiers were once civilians but we tend to identify with the new culture we are now a part of. We find civilians almost an entire new species so like our enemy we invent new terms for them. Civilian types is probably the more polite of terms I heard in my time in uniform.


Ouch, well. I respect the servicemen and their dedication, but fuck that attitude. I've met service members who were high and mighty. You say you don't play games like that, but some do. They talk behind others backs, bend truths to make people look bad, then explode when confronted about it. Nasty way of interacting with others.
345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

netdisorder wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:


netdisorder wrote:


And is "you civilian types" a condescending term used in wherever you were posted in the military? Seems like it but I could be wrong.


Yeah I suppose you could consider it an condescending term, though really it's nothing more then fact. I mean soldiers were once civilians but we tend to identify with the new culture we are now a part of. We find civilians almost an entire new species so like our enemy we invent new terms for them. Civilian types is probably the more polite of terms I heard in my time in uniform.


Ouch, well. I respect the servicemen and their dedication, but fuck that attitude. I've met service members who were high and mighty. You say you don't play games like that, but some do. They talk behind others backs, bend truths to make people look bad, then explode when confronted about it. Nasty way of interacting with others.


Tell me about it. I hate being associated with people like this guy just because I'm a veteran. x_x
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

netdisorder wrote:

Ouch, well. I respect the servicemen and their dedication, but fuck that attitude. I've met service members who were high and mighty. You say you don't play games like that, but some do. They talk behind others backs, bend truths to make people look bad, then explode when confronted about it. Nasty way of interacting with others.


I didn't mean to insult you, my Company Sergeant Major always said I sucked ass at explaining anything more complicated then long range marksmanship. Though I suppose I can't deny some take the privilege of the uniform to some pretty harsh extremes. But ya have to understand some people adjust a little to well to the harshness of a battlefield. They tend to think the rest of life should be treated as such. And in war everything fair game after all.
345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ranwolf wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

Ouch, well. I respect the servicemen and their dedication, but fuck that attitude. I've met service members who were high and mighty. You say you don't play games like that, but some do. They talk behind others backs, bend truths to make people look bad, then explode when confronted about it. Nasty way of interacting with others.


I didn't mean to insult you, my Company Sergeant Major always said I sucked ass at explaining anything more complicated then long range marksmanship. Though I suppose I can't deny some take the privilege of the uniform to some pretty harsh extremes. But ya have to understand some people adjust a little to well to the harshness of a battlefield. They tend to think the rest of life should be treated as such. And in war everything fair game after all.


Someone's never heard of the Geneva Conventions.
8025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Naked in a pine tree
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ranwolf wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

Ouch, well. I respect the servicemen and their dedication, but fuck that attitude. I've met service members who were high and mighty. You say you don't play games like that, but some do. They talk behind others backs, bend truths to make people look bad, then explode when confronted about it. Nasty way of interacting with others.


I didn't mean to insult you, my Company Sergeant Major always said I sucked ass at explaining anything more complicated then long range marksmanship. Though I suppose I can't deny some take the privilege of the uniform to some pretty harsh extremes. But ya have to understand some people adjust a little to well to the harshness of a battlefield. They tend to think the rest of life should be treated as such. And in war everything fair game after all.


That's understandable. No insult taken. I'm used to being around jarheads in my day to day so I'm guilty of in a sense of adopting some of their sternness.
Posted 11/28/15
the preparation for the next ex.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ruby804b wrote:


Someone's never heard of the Geneva Conventions.


And someone's never actually read that thing front to back. It's authoritative power is actually limited by what the signing nations care to enforce. And in actuality it's little more then a set of guidelines, in essence the signing nations only obey it because they fear the bad press not doing so would cause. And if some one with the power of the United States, or China, or Russia decided to say fuck it there isn't a damn thing the rest of the signing nations could actually do other then some stern sounding words.
2333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / athens, greece.
Offline
Posted 11/28/15 , edited 11/28/15

Ranwolf wrote:

Yeah I suppose you could consider it an condescending term, though really it's nothing more then fact. I mean soldiers were once civilians but we tend to identify with the new culture we are now a part of. We find civilians almost an entire new species so like our enemy we invent new terms for them. Civilian types is probably the more polite of terms I heard in my time in uniform.


I don't mean to offend you or anything. I'm judging this as a whole- not by individual, but I don't get military worship.

I mean, why do I have to respect you?

Most of the people that have joined the US Military are either looking for a free pass to commit murder or they're too fucking stupid to make it in the real world. Seriously... I graduated High School this year and everybody that joined the military was a fucking slacker or a fucking psycho. I was born in 1997. When in my lifetime has the United States Military fought for my freedom? When have they defended my rights as a US Citizen? I don't have what it takes to join the armed forces and I commend any person that is willing to give his or her life to defend me and my rights as an American Citizen but I just don't think that has happened in my lifetime. And even if you guys are 'fighting for freedom' how can you (or they) justify shooting other human beings as a "good thing for our country"? Any individual that thinks that way doesn't deserve any respect, rather utmost contempt. Am I misinformed? Am I ignorant? Or has military worship in this country gone completely off the rails?

Also, (because I think I should add this) when I'm crushing on a person, I usually let them know in subtle hints.
345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Ruby804b wrote:


Someone's never heard of the Geneva Conventions.


And someone's never actually read that thing front to back. It's authoritative power is actually limited by what the signing nations care to enforce. And in actuality it's little more then a set of guidelines, in essence the signing nations only obey it because they fear the bad press not doing so would cause. And if some one with the power of the United States, or China, or Russia decided to say fuck it there isn't a damn thing the rest of the signing nations could actually do other then some stern sounding words.


Well, you've already told us, in your own words, how unintelligent you are, and this is hardly the place for this conversation, and I'll end by saying you have no idea what you're talking about. Let's stop trashing this thread now, why don't we?
8025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Naked in a pine tree
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

hum1d wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Yeah I suppose you could consider it an condescending term, though really it's nothing more then fact. I mean soldiers were once civilians but we tend to identify with the new culture we are now a part of. We find civilians almost an entire new species so like our enemy we invent new terms for them. Civilian types is probably the more polite of terms I heard in my time in uniform.


I don't mean to offend you or anything. I'm judging this as a whole- not by individual, but I don't get military worship.

I mean, why do I have to respect you?

Most of the people that have joined the US Military are either looking for a free pass to commit murder or they're too fucking stupid to make it in the real world. Seriously... I graduated High School this year and everybody that joined the military was a fucking slacker or a fucking psycho. I was born in 1997. When in my lifetime has the United States Military fought for my freedom? When have they defended my rights as a US Citizen? I don't have what it takes to join the armed forces and I commend any person that is willing to give his or her life to defend me and my rights as an American Citizen but I just don't think that has happened in my lifetime. And even if you guys are 'fighting for freedom' how can you (or they) justify shooting other human beings as a "good thing for our country"? Any individual that thinks that way doesn't deserve any respect, rather utmost contempt. Am I misinformed? Am I ignorant? Or has military worship in this country gone completely off the rails?

Also, (because I think I should add this) when I'm crushing on a person, I usually let them know in subtle hints.


Well the year you were born was the year my brother was enlisted in the Marine corps, so I know at least one person was willing to defend your rights. He's a bretty cool guy.
3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

hum1d wrote:

I don't mean to offend you or anything. I'm judging this as a whole- not by individual, but I don't get military worship.

I mean, why do I have to respect you?

Most of the people that have joined the US Military are either looking for a free pass to commit murder or they're too fucking stupid to make it in the real world. Seriously... I graduated High School this year and everybody that joined the military was a fucking slacker or a fucking psycho. I was born in 1997. When in my lifetime has the United States Military fought for my freedom? When have they defended my rights as a US Citizen? I don't have what it takes to join the armed forces and I commend any person that is willing to give his or her life to defend me and my rights as an American Citizen but I just don't think that has happened in my lifetime. And even if you guys are 'fighting for freedom' how can you (or they) justify shooting other human beings as "good thing for their country"? Any individual that thinks that way doesn't deserve any respect, rather utmost contempt. Am I misinformed? Am I ignorant? Or has military worship in this country gone completely off the rails?


You can't just throw out generalizations like that without any facts to prove them. All you're doing is making baseless assumptions about the motivations of servicemen and servicewomen. How do you know that they're generally looking for a free pass to commit murder? How do you know that they're generally unintelligent? We need evidence to back up such claims. Otherwise, they're nothing more than egregious nonsense that serves to dehumanize and demonize veterans and soldiers.

And as for your remark about justifying war, that's not what people who respect veterans are doing. The reason why I respect them is because war is hell. When I see war being waged unnecessarily and/or selfishly, I don't lash out at soldiers. In many respects, they're the greatest victims of war. They suffer PTSD, watch their friends die in front of them, suffer physical injury, and often lose their lives. And then, after they lose everything they cared about and are broken, they're tossed aside like they're nothing or thrown back into the battle by heartless politicians and supporters of the military-industrial complex -- people who pretend to care about the suffering they endure, but in actuality view the people they send marching to their deaths as nothing but pawns.

Think what you will about soldiers. Chances are, however, that they've lost a lot more to war than you have.
Posted 11/28/15
Ouch seems like people are roasting each other, I'm almost tempted to read all of the posts. Too bad I don't know how to read.
2333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / athens, greece.
Offline
Posted 11/28/15 , edited 11/29/15


Fighting is useful only to fend of those who show no mercy in their willingness to do you harm. Past that it is completely worthless and needlessly destructive. This later form is what we've been engaged in for years now and quite frankly for most of the history of all time, somebody has always been the aggressor. The time has come, however, where we have all risen above the notion of nation states and false geographical borders that somehow "divide" us even though we all have the internet and are more connected to each other than we ever have been in the entire history of all time. This is why I don't show any support to those who continue to raise up weapons of war and fight for the powers that be so that they can gain more capital and wealth at the expensive of our fellow men. As an American I will always cherish my second amendment rights as they protect me and all other citizens from harm from not only other citizens that get too out of line, but an absurdly militarized police state and a government that is sliding more and more toward totalitarianism. I will support a national guard on a small scale because honestly that's not even that necessary anymore, we have such advanced technology that there's really no need for such force in numbers. This is another part of the reason why I don't support the troops. If they were actually defending our freedom then we would see our freedom's being attacked by others, but so far the only people who do so are those in our own government. The troops go in and invade other territories in order to overthrow regimes which has been made plainly obvious over the course of history, most evidently in Vietnam where we completely didn't have to go. Since when has it EVER been any nations duty to "protect democracy" in other parts of the world? Why didn't we "protect democracy" to Soviet Communist Russia and send our military raging in there? Why don't we "defend democracy" in North Korea and China and "liberate" those people from their oppressors? The fact of the matter is that war is a racket, and that we are all being played hard on a global scale by wealthy elitists who care only for themselves and not the world which they enslave through their evil financial treachery.

You know who I have respect for? Doctors. That's something I could never do. I don't have the discipline or the intellect to make it through medical school. Plus you know, they save people's lives. I also have respect for Lawyers. That's another profession that I'm not smart enough to pursue. And teachers. Becoming a teacher isn't exactly challenging, but putting up with kids day in and day out for 25, 30 thousand dollars a year? That's honorable. They're fucking heroes. Those are all people who are worthy of respect because of their titles. Because when you know someone's a doctor or a lawyer you know what they've had to go through just to get there. When you know someone's a teacher you know what they have to deal with. (There are bad teachers so perhaps that's not the best example, but you understand my point.) I have respect for people from all walks of life, not just doctors, lawyers, and teachers. I have respect for people that have worked hard, that have contributed to society, that have actually done something. Respect is earned. There's a lot of people that have been or currently are in the military that are worthy of respect. But my question is why do I have to automatically respect someone because they've decided to join the military? Why do I have to thank someone for their service without having any knowledge of their deeds or sacrifices? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm honestly just curious.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.