First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Smartest Character in Anime
67521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I'd say Light from Death Note - the main downside is he is too cocky with it (which leads to his downfall)
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/1/15

L Lawliet: Death Note
Light Yagami: Death Note
Near: Death Note
Shuuichi Minamino: Yu Yu Hakusho (he's ranked genius level in school)
Sohei Saikawa: The Perfect Insider
Shiki Magata: The Perfect Insider
The Laughing Man: Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Sora: No Game, No Life
Shiro: No Game, No Life

3116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
Urahara Kisuke, Aizen Sosuke, Shikamaru Nara, Sora (NGNL), Shiro (Log Horizon) and Soma (Food Wars!) is under appreciated but he's actually quite smart even though he sometimes acts like an idiot lol
5297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I would agree with a lot of the ones people have mentioned but I would also add in Keima Katsuragi from The World God Only Knows. He did a lot of quick thinking in that series.
8524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/15

ayaundwolf wrote:


L Lawliet: Death Note
Light Yagami: Death Note
Near: Death Note
Shuuichi Minamino: Yu Yu Hakusho (he's ranked genius level in school)
Sohei Saikawa: The Perfect Insider
Shiki Magata: The Perfect Insider
The Laughing Man: Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Sora: No Game, No Life
Shiro: No Game, No Life




Its shiro, sora is more smart in strategy game kinda stuff. Shiro is just smart.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/1/15 , edited 12/1/15

ILuvCats11 wrote:



Its shiro, sora is more smart in strategy game kinda stuff. Shiro is just smart.


That's why I posted him in a thread titled "Smartest character in anime". If you recall, there are some strategies he concocts that even Shiro has to decipher (see episode 9). Even their very first bout with Kurami was won because of Sora, which surprised Shiro. I'd say it's obvious that he's above average intelligence and that they rely on each other. You're right, Shiro may be academically superior, but it doesn't shadow the fact that Sora is brilliant as well. It's like comparing Light and L. ;p

422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Starlight Academy
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I'd have to say Light from Death Note. He comes up with ridiculous long and confusing plans even I don't understand.

Sora and Shiro from No Game, No Life would come in second for me.
61526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I fail to find a lot of these mentioned characters to be all that smart, let alone "smartest in anime"...

I will, however, agree with Sora and Shiro (NGNL), Yuki Nagato (Haruhi), and The Laughing Man (GITS: SAC)
31766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / The Raggedy Edge
Offline
Posted 12/1/15

aidenraine wrote:

I fail to find a lot of these mentioned characters to be all that smart, let alone "smartest in anime"...

I will, however, agree with Sora and Shiro (NGNL), Yuki Nagato (Haruhi), and The Laughing Man (GITS: SAC)


That's what I was thinking... Also, no mention of Johann Liebert; if he doesn't qualify almost no one else mentioned does, a lot of characters listed thus far do much as he does, but do so with a super power, and still prove inferior in overall ability.

Although, smartest is insanely vague... What kinda smarts are even being considered? Because on an empirical level regarding mechanical comprehension Yuki Nagato will always win.
65651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I was really hoping for some more names to come up rather than Leleouch and Light(/L/Mello/etc) as I was hoping there were some anime with similar protagonists but it seems these guys are at least the clear leaders here.

If someone can think of an anime with a similar flow to Deathnote or Code Geass I'd love the recommendation.

In regards to the topic, from my viewing of anime it does come between Light, L Lawliet and Lelouch....that's a lot of L

I've seen the live action deathnote and some of the manga but I'll go just off the anime here.

I'd say Lelouch wins
In Deathnote, L and Light really give each other a nice run for their money, It's a nice battle between themselves and the world and it's a really close contender either one of them because they make some nice plays to throw each other off but the reason I'd give it to Lelouch is because the Deathnote plays always went well, they both made plans and they go "keikaku doori" - The only moves are made by them, everyone else is their pawn.

This is why i'd give it to lelouch, more goes wrong for him from random outside forces but he knows it can go wrong and more than that he knows he doesn't have all the information and that at any moment he could simply die to a stray bullet or be captured by an unexpected entity, he uses the resources as effectively as he can and is willing to lose the battle so he may win the war. Neither Light or L Lawliet will accept losing on any front and neither are really hindered by outside forces.
15796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/15 , edited 12/2/15
I think you're all forgetting who the real genius is here


jcal94 
15242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Central Illinois
Offline
Posted 12/1/15
I don't get why so many people are saying Light Yagami is one of the smartest people in anime... He's just a charismatic, academically-gifted young man. He may have been top of his class in school, but he wasn't wise to the world. He had a couple good plans at first, and was able to win people over, but he wasn't smart enough to keep his ego in check during the second half of the series. He also was stupid enough to think that once L was gone, he was basically in the clear.

Now, I do see L as being one of the smartest. He was up against a guy controlling a book of death and a couple death gods, and while he died in the process, he had back-ups ready to essentially follow through on his plan/work, and they finished his job (albeit in their own ways, but L knew they would get it done). Basically, he was a normal human up against pretty much some of the deadliest supernatural powers possible, and he still lasted a long time and eventually succeeded in defeating the enemy after his own death.

Then, there's also Okabe Rintarou and Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate. Makise is obviously very smart, whereas Okabe is a bit more of a crazed intelligence. However, it's the story and everything that happens that makes them some of the smartest. Yes, the time travel was discovered by accident, and it took them quite some time to figure out what all exactly went in to making it happen. However, for them to go from being young adults who unexpectedly discovered time travel to figuring out how to control it to save the entire world from becoming a crapsack world, they had some major growth and showed they're both incredibly smart when they're pushed into serious situations, and that they can adapt quickly too. And hey, we even know from what we're told about the future how smart they are once they mature some and have time to grow up.

Also, shout-outs to the Elric brothers, Winry, Mustang... Heck, pretty much half of the cast from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (/the manga, since they're the same). FMA is pretty much a series about geniuses... Lol.
7106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere in rura...
Offline
Posted 12/1/15

superflydanfry wrote:

I think you're all forgetting who the real genius is here




Thank you for that, Ein is the real OG.
6453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/2/15 , edited 12/2/15

jcal94 wrote:

I don't get why so many people are saying Light Yagami is one of the smartest people in anime... He's just a charismatic, academically-gifted young man. He may have been top of his class in school, but he wasn't wise to the world. He had a couple good plans at first, and was able to win people over, but he wasn't smart enough to keep his ego in check during the second half of the series. He also was stupid enough to think that once L was gone, he was basically in the clear.

Then, there's also Okabe Rintarou and Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate. Makise is obviously very smart, whereas Okabe is a bit more of a crazed intelligence. However, it's the story and everything that happens that makes them some of the smartest. Yes, the time travel was discovered by accident, and it took them quite some time to figure out what all exactly went in to making it happen. However, for them to go from being young adults who unexpectedly discovered time travel to figuring out how to control it to save the entire world from becoming a crapsack world, they had some major growth and showed they're both incredibly smart when they're pushed into serious situations, and that they can adapt quickly too. And hey, we even know from what we're told about the future how smart they are once they mature some and have time to grow up.


I disagree, Light Yagami was obviously academically gifted but he was also "wise to the world". It's partially why he was able to fool so many people. Also, his ego had nothing to do with his intelligence. Him thinking he was in the clear after L's death was valid since L confirmed that the top 3 detectives in the world were all him under different aliases. And since Light proved that he was as smart as the "top 3 detectives" he legitimately had nothing to fear.

Also, I wouldn't put Okabe anywhere near the top in terms of intelligence. Like you said, the time travel was discovered by accident, and pretty much everything that they discovered about the properties of time travel was figured out by Kurisu; so she gets the majority, if not all of the credit there. But even then, I wouldn't say she's one of the most intelligent characters in anime.
jcal94 
15242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Central Illinois
Offline
Posted 12/2/15

lilliputianliar wrote:

I disagree, Light Yagami was obviously academically gifted but he was also "wise to the world". It's partially why he was able to fool so many people. Also, his ego had nothing to do with his intelligence. Him thinking he was in the clear after L's death was valid since L confirmed that the top 3 detectives in the world were all him under different aliases. And since Light proved that he was as smart as the "top 3 detectives" he legitimately had nothing to fear.

Also, I wouldn't put Okabe anywhere near the top in terms of intelligence. Like you said, the time travel was discovered by accident, and pretty much everything that they discovered about the properties of time travel was figured out by Kurisu; so she gets the majority, if not all of the credit there. But even then, I wouldn't say she's one of the most intelligent characters in anime.


The reason he was able to fool so many people is because he was a very charismatic person. Tons of girls wanted to date him, he was a model student, and was from a good family and was respectful to others. Charisma has little to do with intelligence. Let's remember that L was suspicious of Light pretty much before he even met him, and L held on to that suspicion until he died, because he didn't fall for Light's charismatic personality like mostly everyone else. His ego didn't have anything to do with his intelligence. What I meant there was that he was foolish enough to let his ego get so big, because he saw himself as some divine judge of the world, meant to eliminate all crime and the such, all because he got lucky and found a supernatural book. His ego kept growing until it was the cause of his demise. And you even showed why I say L is one of if not the smartest characters, as he kept his entire back-up plan hidden. L had basically trained Near and Mello to come in whenever he met his demise and to finish the job, whatever it may be. Who all knew this? Pretty much L, his butler guy, and Near and Mello, except Near and Mello didn't realize they were basically the tools to finish L's job. Light thought he was in the clear and the ruler of the world, but L had left behind Near and Mello, which ended up being the ultimate demise of Light. If Light was truly one of the smartest anime characters, then he would have known to keep on his guard the whole time he was using the Death Note, even after his supposed one opponent was killed. Light THINKS he's extremely smart, but he really makes many stupid mistakes along the way, which is why he isn't one of the smartest.

Steins;Gate talk could get complicated here, so I'm gonna try to keep it simple, with the Okabe and Kurisu we follow in the anime/game being the "present day" Okabe and Kurisu. I agree "present day" Okabe and Kurisu aren't the smartest. However, remember the creator of the crashed "satellite" was Okabe, and Kurisu was a major partner for him in those timelines before she died. So, future Okabe literally masters time travel through science, not some supernatural method, which is why he's one of the smartest. Now, that takes us back to "present day" Okabe, who we need to remember is only like, 20 years old. A 20 year old who is going nowhere in life accidentally discovers time travel. He over time, with assistance from others, figures out how he has time traveled before, and all the things necessary to execute said time travel. So, we now have a 20 year old who knows how to time travel and what he needs to do it, but he does not fully understand the science behind it yet. At this point, we get to the big problem in the story, so he essentially has to put his research on the time travel on pause to save the world through using a newly-discovered scientific principle he doesn't fully understand, and once he saves the world through that, it is shown that he can, if he doesn't in the final timeline, learn all the principles of time travel.

It's like how we still consider Sir Isaac Newton a genius, even though it was an event that propelled him into his discoveries. A genius does not have to change the world from scratch, he can have something push him to use his innate genius to change the world. In Newton's case, it was the apple falling, and in Okabe's case, it was the first time-jump with his phone, followed by the plot of the story. Okabe starts off with innate genius, and by the latest time in the timelines we see him, he has mastered time travel, built a fully-functional time machine (although one-way), and basically told his younger self how to keep the world from becoming a dystopia. Which then succeeds. So ya, if we take all of Okabe into account, he's quite the genius, but if we just look at single points in time, he seems to be a weird book-smart young adult, and that's it. And about Kurisu, it's hinted at heavily that they basically become a pair of scientists that work together, if not more, so they are essentially a team, who bounce their different genius off of each other, but we know Okabe is still a genius without Kurisu because of how he built the "satellite" even though Kurisu had been killed by the UN.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.