First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Students Referred to Counseling Services After seeing a Confederate Flag
3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/28/15 , edited 11/28/15

sojiroseta77 wrote:

The ignorance is in your inability to understand that the flag doesn't have that meaning for them. Just because you can't see things in context doesn't mean they have that same problem.



No it isn't. The flag has consistently stood for racism time and time again. They can believe whatever they want about what it means, but that doesn't change the initial purpose for its creation nor the value attached to it by numerous movements over the course of history.

I can fly a United States flag over my house and say that it represents North Korea. However, that doesn't make what I'm saying true. From a purely factual standpoint, the U.S. flag has never stood for the country of North Korea, nor has it ever represented that nation's government. I can attach that meaning onto it, but doing so requires an ignorance to the facts behind it or an indifference to them. And that brings me to a very important question in this conversation -- why the fuck does a flag that has continually stood for segregation, slavery, and racial discrimination deserve to have its meaning changed into one of heritage and Southern pride?

No, seriously. What has been done that makes the flag worthy of changing meanings? What part of the flag's history has provided a solid justification for deciding that it symbolizes pride and heritage?

Oh right. There isn't any. People decided to change the definition on a whim and throw random values onto it.

What we're seeing here is people preserving and defending the Confederate flag when it doesn't deserve such efforts whatsoever. Time and time again it has stood for hatred and bigotry, and yet now people want to change its meaning. Why is that though? Why is it this specific symbol that they wish to preserve and why does it deserve that preservation? These are all valid questions to ask of those who want to fly the flag.

Your neighbors can play make-believe all they want. However, that won't ever change the fact that the flag they fly so proudly is a flag born out of hatred and disdain for them. It's a flag that symbolizes rebellion, treason, and subjugation; it's a flag created to glorify the pain and suffering that was inflicted every time a whip cracked against the back of an African-American, every time a family was torn apart because a child's parents were sold as property to feed the avarice of a plantation owner, [and] every time that a human being was ripped away from all they cared about, dragged across the world in a cramped boat, and used as a tool for profit.

The symbol they love so much is drenched in the blood of their brethren. And blood isn't something that's washed off so easily.

EDIT:


byClear wrote:

Boy, you must be must be fun at parties... lol

It's just a flag, I'd prefer them over the uncomprehendingly stupid black lives matter radicals who got their history lessons from a public forum.




Anyway, it's not just a flag. It's symbolic of a now-dead nation, of protests against the desegregation of school, etc. If you choose to rally under a flag, you should damn well know what it stood/stands for and why you follow it.
22557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 11/28/15
Its a Breitbart article, so I'm doubting the source.
351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Saturn_Nine wrote:

I swear some ppl need to be in a plastic bubble for their own protection. It doesnt mean racism necessarily, just some people's heritage. Nobody has to be offended. Its not a threat to anyone, the South lost. Its not used in government anymore. Just look away..


The same can be said about Nazi Germany, but no one would question it if someone got in trouble for sporting Nazi memorabilia.
I mean sure, the south didn't systematically exterminate people based on race but they did force innocent people into slavery, denied basic humanitarian rights to people, and a lot more horrendous things. But it's perfectly fine to be proud of the confederate flag. Personally I don't have a problem with the flag itself, but I think it's a little embarrassing if you take pride in that kind of heritage.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/28/15
I've been through a lot of shit in my life, but I haven't needed counseling, what the fuck kind of butt hurt pussy are you to need counseling after seeing a confederate flag???????

Seriously your parents raised a pushover
351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/28/15
Inb4 heritage not hate


More like heritage OF hate.
Posted 11/28/15
Wut? ಠ_ಠ Did somebody beat you with a confederate flag ? ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Observing that students on campus in general may have suffered a traumatic reaction


(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■), Puts On Sunglasses YEEEEAAAHHH.

“So if I have a Rebel Alliance wallpaper, am I gonna get reported to the Empire?”


Pussies is what they are. Today I have seen worst, so bad, I cannot unseen it. I so scare of going to sleep. Because I may have a nightmare about it.

Manginas is what they are.
Posted 11/28/15

Dalmah wrote:


Saturn_Nine wrote:

I swear some ppl need to be in a plastic bubble for their own protection. It doesnt mean racism necessarily, just some people's heritage. Nobody has to be offended. Its not a threat to anyone, the South lost. Its not used in government anymore. Just look away..


The same can be said about Nazi Germany, but no one would question it if someone got in trouble for sporting Nazi memorabilia.
I mean sure, the south didn't systematically exterminate people based on race but they did force innocent people into slavery, denied basic humanitarian rights to people, and a lot more horrendous things. But it's perfectly fine to be proud of the confederate flag. Personally I don't have a problem with the flag itself, but I think it's a little embarrassing if you take pride in that kind of heritage.


Some would disagree and say that the rebel flag represented the south at the time (which it did) . anyone that doesn't like it or agree , that's fine, just its of historical value and significance. To deny it is weak, . as for the swastika, if you were a German in Nazi Germany you would see it as your country's flag.
351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/28/15

Saturn_Nine wrote:

Some would disagree and say that the rebel flag represented the south at the time (which it did) . anyone that doesn't like it or agree , that's fine, just its of historical value and significance. To deny it is weak, . as for the swastika, if you were a German in Nazi Germany you would see it as your country's flag.


So you would agree with the following statement?

'The Nazi flag should be flown by Germans who identify with it as a source of German pride, not antisemitism. '
15393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/29/15
Well whoever this person is, they sure are missing out on some great civil war films. Real shame not being able to watch something like say "Gone With the Wind" because you'll fall to pieces at the mere sight of a piece of cloth. What a baby.
Posted 11/29/15

GrandmasterCoolio wrote:


sojiroseta77 wrote:

The ignorance is in your inability to understand that the flag doesn't have that meaning for them. Just because you can't see things in context doesn't mean they have that same problem.



No it isn't. The flag has consistently stood for racism time and time again. They can believe whatever they want about what it means, but that doesn't change the initial purpose for its creation nor the value attached to it by numerous movements over the course of history.

I can fly a United States flag over my house and say that it represents North Korea. However, that doesn't make what I'm saying true. From a purely factual standpoint, the U.S. flag has never stood for the country of North Korea, nor has it ever represented that nation's government. I can attach that meaning onto it, but doing so requires an ignorance to the facts behind it or an indifference to them. And that brings me to a very important question in this conversation -- why the fuck does a flag that has continually stood for segregation, slavery, and racial discrimination deserve to have its meaning changed into one of heritage and Southern pride?

No, seriously. What has been done that makes the flag worthy of changing meanings? What part of the flag's history has provided a solid justification for deciding that it symbolizes pride and heritage?

Oh right. There isn't any. People decided to change the definition on a whim and throw random values onto it.

What we're seeing here is people preserving and defending the Confederate flag when it doesn't deserve such efforts whatsoever. Time and time again it has stood for hatred and bigotry, and yet now people want to change its meaning. Why is that though? Why is it this specific symbol that they wish to preserve and why does it deserve that preservation? These are all valid questions to ask of those who want to fly the flag.

Your neighbors can play make-believe all they want. However, that won't ever change the fact that the flag they fly so proudly is a flag born out of hatred and disdain for them. It's a flag that symbolizes rebellion, treason, and subjugation; it's a flag created to glorify the pain and suffering that was inflicted every time a whip cracked against the back of an African-American, every time a family was torn apart because a child's parents were sold as property to feed the avarice of a plantation owner, [and] every time that a human being was ripped away from all they cared about, dragged across the world in a cramped boat, and used as a tool for profit.

The symbol they love so much is drenched in the blood of their brethren. And blood isn't something that's washed off so easily.

EDIT:


byClear wrote:

Boy, you must be must be fun at parties... lol

It's just a flag, I'd prefer them over the uncomprehendingly stupid black lives matter radicals who got their history lessons from a public forum.




Anyway, it's not just a flag. It's symbolic of a now-dead nation, of protests against the desegregation of school, etc. If you choose to rally under a flag, you should damn well know what it stood/stands for and why you follow it.

I am now rethinking my stance, hmmmm....
13630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/29/15
It's a flag not a freaking throne of skulls drenched in the blood of slaves, flags are just pretty patterns attached to a stick.
Posted 11/29/15

Dalmah wrote:


Saturn_Nine wrote:

Some would disagree and say that the rebel flag represented the south at the time (which it did) . anyone that doesn't like it or agree , that's fine, just its of historical value and significance. To deny it is weak, . as for the swastika, if you were a German in Nazi Germany you would see it as your country's flag.


So you would agree with the following statement?

'The Nazi flag should be flown by Germans who identify with it as a source of German pride, not antisemitism. '


No because its illegal in germany to display nazi memorabilia, but I digress. Anyway , why I think its dumb to compare apples with oranges.
The germans tried to annihilate the jews while the confederacy wanted to maintain its livelihood which at the time was slavery. In fact, before Lincoln abolished slavery, many in the north owned slaves, the difference was that the north didn't depend on plantations and slave labor as the south did. One thing to note when trying to compare the south with germany is that there really is very little to compare them over considering that the south wasn't totalitarian and had a democratic presidency, second the confederacy wasn't invading other nations, but with fighting with the north for its own survival. And anyway the history of how each started (came to be) was nothing alike. Hell, they don't even speak the same language.
3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/29/15

GrandMasterTime wrote:

It's a flag not a freaking throne of skulls drenched in the blood of slaves, flags are just pretty patterns attached to a stick.


10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 11/29/15
I think I'll have to get some good old southern flags to trigger more people...





29349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 11/29/15

Rujikin




The FSU Bias Protocol and Response Team has been made aware of the incident, and will meet to determine any measures that may be needed to respond to the incident. Our primary goal continues to be to expeditiously address and resolve incidents of bias that impede our progress toward a welcoming and inclusive campus community.




..... The what?
I literally screamed with laughter at reading that- all I can picture is a bunch of twats in fucking riot gear or some shit screaming "BPRT!! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!!" before breaching the door to a student's dorm or something.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.