First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime News Network Censors Criticism Of Social Justice Warriors Attacking Anime, Gaming, And Otaku Culture
991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/27/15
can we make it so that people who bitch and moan just as much as SJWs get banned as well? I came across a guy bitching about a lesbian character in a comic, you didn't even know the character was gay until the next to last page of the issue. And all she did was thank Venom for saving her family, that's it.
5563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 11/27/15 , edited 12/7/15


I agree with you. Funny thing though, in my experience and probably obvious to most people, most SJW are usually guilty of what they attack; because that usually diverts attention to their intended target, so that they can keep doing their thing on the side.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Online
Posted 11/27/15

Aethix0 wrote:

I've found the term Social Justice Warrior denotes people who engage in bullying, abuse, harassment, and/or other malicious behaviors in the name of their twisted view of "Social Justice".


This is pretty much it.

Sadly, the ones who are seriously just trying to post about issues that are important to them get pushed aside for the ones who complain about every fucking thing.
Posted 11/27/15 , edited 12/1/15

Nogara-san wrote:


Aethix0 wrote:

I've found the term Social Justice Warrior denotes people who engage in bullying, abuse, harassment, and/or other malicious behaviors in the name of their twisted view of "Social Justice".


This is pretty much it.

Sadly, the ones who are seriously just trying to post about issues that are important to them get pushed aside for the ones who complain about every fucking thing.


I can't believe this is a thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/zamii070-harassment-controversy


But it is.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm


You know, maybe you people have a point. These people are freaking terrible.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 11/27/15
lol why are people suprised anymore?


Saturn_Nine wrote:

Who cares?


You cared enough to press this thread and post a comment claiming you don't care
Posted 11/27/15

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

lol why are people suprised anymore?


Saturn_Nine wrote:

Who cares?


You cared enough to press this thread and post a comment claiming you don't care


Only enough to quote I didn't care!
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/27/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I can't believe this is a thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/zamii070-harassment-controversy


But it is.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm


You know, maybe you people have a point. These people are freaking terrible.


Where have yah been?

Sogno- 
45650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/27/15

Nogara-san wrote:


Aethix0 wrote:

I've found the term Social Justice Warrior denotes people who engage in bullying, abuse, harassment, and/or other malicious behaviors in the name of their twisted view of "Social Justice".


This is pretty much it.

Sadly, the ones who are seriously just trying to post about issues that are important to them get pushed aside for the ones who complain about every fucking thing.


this is the most disappointing thing most of all. Wouldn't you hate to really care about an issue and not getting taken seriously because of others who took it to extreme levels?
14739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 11/27/15 , edited 11/27/15

maxgale wrote:

ANN moderator admits to the site using a filter to ban the phrase "social justice warriors", and threatens to ban anyone who discusses the tyranny of SJWs:

".....stop soap boxing on the topic of social justice you know whos. Your soap boxing on the topic is getting OT and just redundant. The term is also blocked for a reason so stop trying to get around the filter."


For those who haven't spend a little time on the civilized (ie., fascistically moderated, unlike, ahem, SOME boards we could name... ) ANN, "Soapboxing" on ANY topic is verboten, and censorship is very, very frequently enforced.
If you're not posting about anime, manga or J-culture on ANN, you're not posting...Period.

And no, not just SJW's--that lovable, huggable, CR-GD Bait Topic--but anything the arguably paranoid Mods consider Not Anime Topic.
I've had a few temporary bans myself, and now I discover that whenever I post on an anime topic and just happen to mention whether, say, "Japan can come to terms with its own causes for the Recession, and quit trying to demonize Otaku for a scapegoat", part of the message mysteriously vanishes by the time it's posted on the site....

Sorry, folks--Like the saying goes, there really IS Nothing To See Here, and we can Move On.
Guess it'd be interesting 'n stuff if there was, but there isn't. Such is life in the real world.
Posted 11/27/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I can't believe this is a thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/zamii070-harassment-controversy


But it is.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm


You know, maybe you people have a point. These people are freaking terrible.


Where have yah been?



Sucking badly at Dirty Bomb. I mean, people are attempting to kick me out of beginner matches because I suck this hard. My ping isn't even remotely high.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/27/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Sucking badly at Dirty Bomb. I mean, people are attempting to kick me out of beginner matches because I suck this hard. My ping isn't even remotely high.


Welp that explains it. Lol


14916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/27/15
Ah yes, ANN...I've received a temporary ban there too when I tried to argue, on a topic regarding the rape of an 18 year old woman at a convention, that adults should take responsibility for their poor choices. I guess using the word "responsibility" is threatening now too.

The problem with ANN is that it's so thoroughly in bed with the industry that you can't criticize any anime whose parent distributor is sponsoring the site. Nor can you say anything bad about Omakase nor any of the companies peddling goods on their site. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who hates seeing daily ads to buy more garbage being sponsored by Tokyo Otaku Mode or some other company.

On the topic of SJWs - This is what people do when they have nothing better to do with their lives. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time nor the energy to care about some video game character prohibited from wearing the Japanese version of some outfit. I feel that if people have that much time to actively care about this sort of thing, they should be trying to help real people with real problems living in their vicinity. Because despite what the government would like you to think, we do have a lot of people that go hungry in the US every day.
3349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Ente Isla
Offline
Posted 11/27/15 , edited 11/27/15
I use the term SJW on occasion, but I honestly wouldn't give a shit if the term was banned. It's become a snarl word to silence and slander one's ideological opponents. It'd be better if people were forced to think outside the box and actually view the person's argument instead of bludgeoning them to argumentative death with, "What an SJW!"

I think J.T. Sexkik defined SJWs the best. They're people with low integrative complexity who just so happen to view issues from a far-left perspective. Often, however, is this term misused. It's applied to anyone who stands for social justice and is sometimes used to simply dismiss the argument that they're making. And, at least as far as I'm concerned, that shouldn't be the way discussions are conducted. People should strive to have a civil, worthwhile debate -- not a screaming match where no one cares about any points besides their own, any evidence besides their own, [and] any thought besides their own.

Alas, it matters not. Even if we go as far as to damn the label to damnatio memoriae, nothing will have changed. A new term will arise to describe these kinds of people, then the meaning of that term will be twisted, then a new term will arise, then the meaning of that term will be twisted, and so will begin a neverending cycle of labels coming and going -- changing and dying. Taking the offensive against the label will require resorting to extreme methods such as censorship and filtering, all of which will be done in a fruitless endeavor to kill the snarl word once and for all.

To sum it up, filtering the word is pointless and anyone pushing for or enforcing that that should just stop giving a fuck and move on.
35191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Also, DOAX3 wouldn't have come anyway as my sources tell me. The last two installments sold poorly. (Even though DOAx2 is a brilliant game)


I don't think this is true. From the sources I've seen, only 25% of the copies DOAX2 sold were sold in Japan, while over 50% of them were sold in North America. See: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/481/dead-or-alive-xtreme-2/

So if sales were really the chief concern, it would make more sense for them not to make the game in the first place instead of just refusing to publish it in the West. Plus the closest thing we've had to an official statement pretty explicitly states that the game isn't being brought over due to the climate over portrayal of female game characters.
30958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/27/15 , edited 11/27/15
Oh Snap! You mean if you want to rail against oppressive "others," you actually have to try and call different groups by name or by using a legitimate descriptor on that site?!?! How am I supposed to learn the difference between every person in the world that is stomping on my freedom to be butthurt about other people being butthurt on the Internet?!

If I can't use blanket terms, how am I supposed to dehumanize those whose views I don't agree with to make myself feel like the righteous defender of freedom of expression that I pretend to be?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.