First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Something for Non-American Subscribers
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

MrD_88 wrote:

It's also pretty poor that the CR marketing and news emails aren't tailored to the each region.

I was excited to get an email telling me that Digimon Adventure Tri was available on simulcast, only to find the following when visiting the link: "Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." :(


Tailoring for region isn't easily done, as many spoof their IPs, put fantasy locations in their profile, or use the site in a language that isn't their local one.
811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / España
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15
We are at December 31 and there are still no new animes announced for Spain for the new season, just for the latinoamerican region, which pays less for their premium and have bigger catalogue and announcements. I have just cancelled my premium for the moment until I get a good reason why the service in Argentina can be sustainable at 2$/month and in Spain I have to pay 5€/month for no announcements, lesser catalogue and without subtitles in true Spanish, just in mexican.
For now, I'll just watch anime in any in the many different platforms available.
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

dirheim wrote:

We are at December 31 and there are still no new animes announced for Spain for the new season, just for the latinoamerican region, which pays less for their premium and have bigger catalogue and announcements. I have just cancelled my premium for the moment until I get a good reason why the service in Argentina can be sustainable at 2$/month and in Spain I have to pay 5€/month for no announcements, lesser catalogue and without subtitles in true Spanish, just in mexican.
For now, I'll just watch anime in any in the many different platforms available.


All of the launch dates of the upcoming anime are still more than a week off. Announcements will come when they are ready and approved by our Japanese partners.
811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / España
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15

shinryou wrote:

All of the launch dates of the upcoming anime are still more than a week off. Announcements will come when they are ready and approved by our Japanese partners.


Every season we hear the same excuse, every season we get less shows, every season we still pay more than the latinoamerican market, every season they get more shows than us for less, every season we are told that next season will be better.
For the moment Crunchyroll have zero credibility, that's why I have already cancelled my renewal and I've recommended everybody else to do the same.
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15

dirheim wrote:

Every season we hear the same excuse, every season we get less shows, every season we still pay more than the latinoamerican market, every season they get more shows than us for less, every season we are told that next season will be better.
For the moment Crunchyroll have zero credibility, that's why I have already cancelled my renewal and I've recommended everybody else to do the same.


Well, you're free to do that.
Content availability has no influence whatsoever on the membership price. The US subscription fee has always been at $6.95, even when only 4 shows were available on the site.

Perceived "cheaper" or "more expensive" membership fees are largely so due to changes in exchange rates over the years. Your membership in Euros in Spain is currently 25% cheaper than the subscription in US Dollars in the US. Some of the South American currencies have weakened even further than the Euro, so in some places the membership got very cheap seen from a European POV. You have to keep in mind though, that wages in Latin America are much lower, usually at around a third of what you earn. In all fairness, it's not a bad thing that some people pay less, because otherwise they would not be able to afford it all with their regular income.
33058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
Still no reply on why american fans receive big sales while the rest of us just get same old same old? That part has no excuses such as licensing being out of your hands and just reveals there is actually a difference between what you will offer us and them.

When will you guys even try and be fair to your foreign audiences?
27403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Surrey, UK
Online
Posted 1/1/16

Destrado_AFB wrote:

Still no reply on why american fans receive big sales while the rest of us just get same old same old? That part has no excuses such as licensing being out of your hands and just reveals there is actually a difference between what you will offer us and them.

When will you guys even try and be fair to your foreign audiences?


And that basically sums up why I opened this request thread.

All we ever get are explanations, at best, of why we don't have access to as much stuff as American subscribers. We rarely, if ever, get snything to make us feel like we are still valued customers regardless of location.

It's all "Sorry but it would be too much money, time or effort to treat you equally so like it or lump it" which really comes over as a massive F___ You to the international fanbase.

Unintentional, I'm sure, but that does not change how it comes over.

Crunchyroll needs to do something to add at least the perception of value to the subscription fee to those living outside of North America.

Flag news threads with location or, at least, "limited". Make it obvious when reading news on the site that something won't be available in our regions. Or, at least, a quick flag that it is heavily restricted, so we can read with expectations set high.
Better customise the news experience. To extend the above, give a better overall announcement experience.
For one, if you can't tailor emails to customers then only ever use email to advertise titles that are worldwide (ex. Japan).
The site itself can be customised. For example, tweak it so that news posts and forum threads that contain heavily restricted titles are visible but greyed out if viewed form a region where those titles can't be seen.
Spread the news better. Don't bunch up a load of America-only news together. Make a decent spread of news that is good in multiple regions.
Bargain Harder. Get more regions or tell the licensors "thanks, but no thanks". Surely it's better to piss off subscribers worldwide than make two countries had and give the finger to the rest of the planet.
More not-America coverage. Remember, we don't have Funimation and Hulu and the like. So get some rest-of-world exclusives and make us feel special, every once in a while.
Deals and Competitions geared towards the rest of the world. As I said at the start if this thread, work with local distributors to have regional competitions and deals, if you can't swing worldwide.

Currently, we pay to be customers but don't feel valued like them. Do something about it!
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

Destrado_AFB wrote:

Still no reply on why american fans receive big sales while the rest of us just get same old same old? That part has no excuses such as licensing being out of your hands and just reveals there is actually a difference between what you will offer us and them.

When will you guys even try and be fair to your foreign audiences?


I'm not familiar with how the discount codes are set up for the store, so I cannot give you a qualified reply on this one.


TiggsPanther wrote:
Deals and Competitions geared towards the rest of the world. As I said at the start if this thread, work with local distributors to have regional competitions and deals, if you can't swing worldwide.


The local teams in the locales other than English do their own competitions and deals.
1242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

MrD_88 wrote:

It's also pretty poor that the CR marketing and news emails aren't tailored to the each region.

I was excited to get an email telling me that Digimon Adventure Tri was available on simulcast, only to find the following when visiting the link: "Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." :(


They still haven't sorted that and stopped sending blanket emails?

Companies in the UK have been told off for technically correct but highly misleading advertisements (mostly broadband providers who quoted speeds of "up to"). If someone were to say something to the ASA, Crunchyroll might be told to stop it in the UK, but even a formal complaint would probably enough to get through to them that it's not on....


shinryou wrote:

The local teams in the locales other than English do their own competitions and deals.


So it's just the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and maybe Scandinavia and South Africa getting screwed then? That makes it so much better...

I will point out that Crunchyroll's fixed UK price means that for at least the past half year (almost certainly for a lot longer than that), UK customers have paid almost 10% more than US customers. 10% more for way more than 10% less, seems like a fair deal, doesn't it?

If it only were 10% I doubt anyone would care, it's the fact that it's probably 30-40% for most countries and perhaps even as high as 50% for some of the less well served customers.
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Buzz201 wrote:
So it's just the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and maybe Scandinavia and South Africa getting screwed then? That makes it so much better...

I will point out that Crunchyroll's fixed UK price means that for at least the past half year (almost certainly for a lot longer than that), UK customers have paid almost 10% more than US customers. 10% more for way more than 10% less, seems like a fair deal, doesn't it?


Look at /jobs?type=all (International section). We're still in the process of setting up a local team for UK/Nordics and Oceania. Once that has come along as far as the rest of the regions we specifically cover in licensing, things will improve over on your end as well.
1242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

shinryou wrote:

Look at /jobs?type=all (International section). We're still in the process of setting up a local team for UK/Nordics and Oceania. Once that has come along as far as the rest of the regions we specifically cover in licensing, things will improve over on your end as well.


From what I've heard, that job listing has been active for years, the only change being the addition of the Nordic countries.

The phrase "the rest of the regions we specifically cover in licensing" is interesting, do you mean to imply there are some countries Crunchyroll does not license for unless they get worldwide excluding Japanese rights?
27403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Surrey, UK
Online
Posted 1/1/16

shinryou wrote:

Look at /jobs?type=all (International section). We're still in the process of setting up a local team for UK/Nordics and Oceania. Once that has come along as far as the rest of the regions we specifically cover in licensing, things will improve over on your end as well.


That sounds potentially positive. So, here's a related idea:

When there are openings for the local teams, advertise them out on social media. You may get shares/retweets from people interested in improving their region even if they themselves can't apply.

You may also want to put the regional marketing positions up on LinkedIn. Currently, only the American ones are. I'm a jobseeker myself (different career path, though) and it's one of the sites I check multiple times a week for relevant postings. I know of other people who also having it high up on their lists of site to check for jobs.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
Crunchy did release Killakill for Australia when madman got in trouble and had to end the service for it.
Der Zoodirektor
23355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

Buzz201 wrote:
From what I've heard, that job listing has been active for years, the only change being the addition of the Nordic countries.

The phrase "the rest of the regions we specifically cover in licensing" is interesting, do you mean to imply there are some countries Crunchyroll does not license for unless they get worldwide excluding Japanese rights?


Well, this mostly refers to the region we offer subtitles in the local language for. Otherwise regions are sort of already established in the industry, and the ones who cut the regions are the companies giving out the rights, not the ones acquiring them. We always try to get worldwide (ex-Asia) deals, but usually there will be someone else in some region that interferes, so the picture will not be complete.
Licensing always has at least 2 aspects: one is regional (country) availability, the other language availability.

You get English (US/CA, Oceania, UK/IE+Nordics+sometimes NL), Spanish (LATAM, Spain), German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein), Italian (Italy), Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Arabic (Northern Africa, Middle East), and French (France, Belgium, Switzerland) here on Crunchyroll. At times we get a license to cover most of Europe with European languages *other* than English, for example for /absolute-duo. There are also titles which are not available in the US with English subtitles on Crunchyroll, but are available in the UK, like /ping-pong-the-animation. Another interesting example would be /prison-school, which we have French and Spanish subtitles for, but only in certain parts of Europe and Northern Africa/Middle East.
37709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / Seattle
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

instrumental20 wrote:


shinryou wrote:


TiggsPanther wrote:
A valid point but, to be fair, irrelevant to this thread. Being as it was started (and I'd now, i started it) to bring up the fact that everywhere outside of US/Canada is beginning to feel more and more annoyed, albeit in varying degrees based on exact country.

In fact, you actually sort of helped prove my point. Your acquisition of regions for streaming is so haphazard, and worldwide (ex. Japan) is so frustratingly rare that even when you do say "Here's a title that's not just for America" then it's still witheld from someone who wanted to watch it.

And before you mention it again... yes, we know that the final responsibility lies with the Japanese licensors. But Crunchyroll are the ones being paid for subscriptions (or getting those ad-clicks) and benefitting from viewers regardless of location yet never really acting like you care that people are getting increasingly annoyed by the regional crap.

Your site. Your users/customers. So you guys get the flak.
You want to stop the complaints? Step up your licensing!


That's why we teamed up with Sumitomo.


That entire article is vague at best, what does "Produce animation for the international market" even mean?
Does that mean CR is gonna help produce their own original titles?
And what about bringing over existing titles to more territories like One Piece,Case Closed and so forth, which is the core of this entire discussion might i add.


I hope not, but it does sound like that.

After all, it worked out so well for Tokyopop.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.