First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Buddhism
20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Unova Region
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
Nope, but it's a I think it's a very interesting religion.
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
A few years back. Unfortunately, I rushed into conversion without really understanding even the basics of what I was converting to (it was more out of naivety than genuine understanding) but actually did research more into it. Around a year later, I decided that I both disagreed with it's fundamental principles, and that it was too dogmatic for my liking.

Theravada seemed too nihilistic, and Mahayana too existential. The former emphasized dreary monasticism and anatman, while the latter was more focused on becoming an all-compassionate Bodhisattva who won't become enlightened until other beings do (which sounded silly to me).
48603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 12/3/15 , edited 12/3/15

Sogno- wrote:

they have some huge statues


Lots of arms too
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

they have some huge statues


Lots of arms too


I'm sure he's pretty handy.

Ba dum tsh.
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15
I don't belong to any religion or system of philosophy, but I believe that Buddhism is very interesting the way The Urban Dharma presented it. This American Buddhist clearly stated that "sex is a lot like hunger" and he also said that the more sex you have, the more you crave it. Even if you were 80 years old with crippled eyesight, you can still have a strong or unhealthy desire for endless sex.

The more desire you have for someone or something, the closer you are to suffering. You'll see this happen in the 2nd Star Wars trilogy and how Anakin went from a happy little boy to an unfortunate, depressed Jedi. Buddhism philosophies can be useful for being prepared for the fear of death of your own and your loved ones. Suffering or desire can be very treacherous (as well as your very own Achilles' heel or krytonite), but like the Buddhists say, you have to learn from it. That way you will most certainly develop better inner strength or emotional stability.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

potentsativa wrote:


Irishsushi wrote:

Hmm it seems to me you are not very familiar with Buddhist teachings. While they are not intrinsically bad the problem is that desire leads to addiction whether it be addiction to food or clothes or a drug and that is what creates suffering. Yes we can learn from suffering what we learn is how we can prevent suffering and who our minds and bodies work. How is impermanence paradoxical? All things are subject to change nothing stays the same, that is what the meaning of impermanence is. There isn't a "desire" to be free from suffering, once you understand what suffering is and what arises within ourselves that makes us suffer you are able to remove it from your life. Here is a link to a teacher on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJ6ESCWQotBwtJm0Ff_gyQ keep in mind he is very thoughtful in his speech so he kind of talks slow but I find that he is very informational.


Oh I'm familiar its just a matter of interpretation.


That may be so, but to say the teachings are paradoxical or fruitless is incorrect. If it was impossible no one would be a Buddhist lol
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
It's something I've been interested in for a while and I do want to learn more about it. I'm not really about the religious elements of it, I can't force myself to believe something I think is silly, but I do like the philosophical guidance and general outlook. I sort of do most of it naturally anyway. I try to meditate when I can. I call myself a Buddhist when people ask about religion but that's probably not entirely correct yet in fairness. I've still got a lot to learn about it.
Posted 12/4/15

Irishsushi wrote:


potentsativa wrote:


Irishsushi wrote:

Hmm it seems to me you are not very familiar with Buddhist teachings. While they are not intrinsically bad the problem is that desire leads to addiction whether it be addiction to food or clothes or a drug and that is what creates suffering. Yes we can learn from suffering what we learn is how we can prevent suffering and who our minds and bodies work. How is impermanence paradoxical? All things are subject to change nothing stays the same, that is what the meaning of impermanence is. There isn't a "desire" to be free from suffering, once you understand what suffering is and what arises within ourselves that makes us suffer you are able to remove it from your life. Here is a link to a teacher on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJ6ESCWQotBwtJm0Ff_gyQ keep in mind he is very thoughtful in his speech so he kind of talks slow but I find that he is very informational.


Oh I'm familiar its just a matter of interpretation.


That may be so, but to say the teachings are paradoxical or fruitless is incorrect. If it was impossible no one would be a Buddhist lol


It is paradoxical as is a lot of other eastern "ways", "methods", or "paths" and is very well fruitless if you follow it to the tee, and fail to have a moment of "satori" of the very nature of Buddhism. It is impossible, that's the point of the teachings. People want to be a Buddha going in but realize hopefully somewhere along the journey they were always a Buddha, and that it's impossible to not be a Buddha, then you can blow out like ( ) that is Nirvana.
11891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
I take bits and pieces from all philosophies, religions, cultures that I like and some from Buddhism are included. Wouldn't call myself a practitioner or member of any though.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

potentsativa wrote:



It is paradoxical as is a lot of other eastern "ways", "methods", or "paths" and is very well fruitless if you follow it to the tee, and fail to have a moment of "satori" of the very nature of Buddhism. It is impossible, that's the point of the teachings. People want to be a Buddha going in but realize hopefully somewhere along the journey they were always a Buddha, and that it's impossible to not be a Buddha, then you can blow out like ( ) that is Nirvana.


You go into Buddhism not because you want to be like the Buddha, there wouldn't be a point. You go into Buddhism to understand what causes suffering and how we can eliminate it from our lives. I cant tell you what its like to reach enlightenment because I haven't got there but to say that I "desire" to reach it is inaccurate. My only desire is to better myself and along the way I will reach enlightenment its not a goal so much as a point in the road.

Seriously watch the videos I linked, they're long but they will do a better job explaining than I can.
w6loy 
36638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / F / by the beach in S...
Online
Posted 12/4/15
I have been a practicing Buddhist for almost ten years.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.