First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What are your opinion/views on people who HATE reading but LOVE writing?
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

harutoharuta wrote:

Anyone can create a story in their head, but I can't imagine someone deciding to tell that story through writing without ever enjoying any form of text. How would one choose writing? It's because they read something and thought "I want to do this" or "I think I should try doing this." It'd be the same for any form of expression.

You can be a decent writer if all the reading you've done was through school as long as you understood what you've read and of course understood the writing lessons, but that's all I can really say about doing one without the other. If you don't even understand the basics, you can say that you like to write, but whether you're good at it or not is a different story. That's when people will assert that you must read more.

In the end, I do find it a bit strange. It makes total sense to have a preference, but to absolutely hate one while loving the other.. well, it's questionable from my point of view.


With me, I like to read but it's hard to visualize when I do read a book. That why I enjoy writing more. My mom tells me that I'm not meant read but meant to write instead. Maybe it's like that for some of those people. But I get where your coming from.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/3/15 , edited 12/3/15
Impossible.

Those people are usually 14 year olds who think they are writers. They say it so casually I want to smack them. Writing without reading is like cooking without eating. You're probably not the 1-in-1,000,000 genius who can pull it off. Every one of these people, without exception, think they are some kind of genius. I've proofread work for countless people like this. Most of it is garbage. I'm usually pretty nice, but this particular thing stirs something up in me and I am not shy with my critiques.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. If you want to be a chef, you'd better eat. If you want to be a writer, you'd better read.

I've read probably several thousand books in my lifetime and written much more than the average person my age. And I still don't think I'm good enough.
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
Oh this sounds like me!
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Impossible.

Those people are usually 14 year olds who think they are writers. They say it so casually I want to smack them. Writing without reading is like cooking without eating. You're probably not the 1-in-1,000,000 genius who can pull it off. Every one of these people, without exception, think they are some kind of genius. I've proofread work for countless people like this. Most of it is garbage. I'm usually pretty nice, but this particular thing stirs something up in me and I am not shy with my critiques.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. If you want to be a chef, you'd better eat. If you want to be a writer, you'd better read.

I've read probably several thousand books in my lifetime and written much more than the average person my age. And I still don't think I'm good enough.



I don't know about smacking them but yeah. I get where you are coming from.
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
Do what you love I guess
Sogno- 
45742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
wow i didnt know you could even hate reading if u are a writer

although i guess if u like to make up stories but hate reading other people's stories it would make sense...

well i dont think badly of it . to each his own
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

Sogno- wrote:

wow i didnt know you could even hate reading if u are a writer

although i guess if u like to make up stories but hate reading other people's stories it would make sense...

well i dont think badly of it . to each his own


Yeah, some of those people exist in this world. It's shocking I know but it happens.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Somewhat_Insane_Monkey wrote:

Do what you love I guess


Okay.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
Thread title makes me think of those people who like to hear themselves talk but don't like to listen...
20228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Urboistar wrote:

RIP proofreading


This made me laugh harder than it probably should of
Posted 12/4/15

Midnightspell wrote:


Urboistar wrote:

RIP proofreading


This made me laugh harder than it probably should of


I thought it would make more people laugh. :(

Posted 12/4/15
I'll read anything if it's educational, epic poetry included. Language always interested me, especially etymology. I enjoyed reading abstracts of C.G. Jung, and some of Nietzsche's work, but that's about as far as I could go (I didn't read Zarathustra). I can't get past the first paragraph in, e.g., The Lord of The Rings, because I can't visualize what the author is trying to convey. If it was written in Latin, Anglo-Saxon, or Norse, then I would be able to read it, and translate it, and to some degree imagine what the author was trying to convey, but in my my native language, or in English, not a chance in hell.

I'm not so fond of writing anymore. I always get caught up in details. It's a waste of time.

What I find more odd than my inability to read stupid shit, is people who find it a nuisance that I won't read said stupid shit.

I'm scatterbrained right now, so, mh, bye.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
Well....reading helps you write....*shrugs*

I handwrite all the time, but I hate typing more than anything
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Urboistar wrote:


Midnightspell wrote:


Urboistar wrote:

RIP proofreading


This made me laugh harder than it probably should of


I thought it would make more people laugh. :(



It made me laugh! ^^
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Nogara-san wrote:

Well....reading helps you write....*shrugs*

I handwrite all the time, but I hate typing more than anything


I can't stand handwriting but I love typing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.