First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is it good to think this way?
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:

I find arguing entertaining unless the person I'm arguing with is stupid.

TL;DR: Shuck person B, think how you think you should think, not how you think people think you should think.

You're welcome.


I do. For some reason, I like how Person B handled the situation without yelling or taunting.

Thank you.


No problem. Glad my pool of glorious wisdom could be of use.

VeggyZ 
2624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
Yeah sorry, I go on tangents when I start typing. I know that's still not a very clear answer but... context is everything in life!
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

Nyanotic wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:

I find arguing entertaining unless the person I'm arguing with is stupid.

TL;DR: Shuck person B, think how you think you should think, not how you think people think you should think.

You're welcome.


I do. For some reason, I like how Person B handled the situation without yelling or taunting.

Thank you.


No problem. Glad my pool of glorious wisdom could be of use.




33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/3/15
Sometimes a persons opinion brings up good points weather they sound good or bad.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/15

VeggyZ wrote:

Yeah sorry, I go on tangents when I start typing. I know that's still not a very clear answer but... context is everything in life!


It's fine.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Sogno- wrote:

i dont think either are "bad" but i have less respect for someone who thinks everyone wants to hear his/her opinion like honestly nobody even cares. go back to ur snapchat or whatever


You dislike opinionated people?
Posted 12/4/15
No its absolutely terrible how dare you even think about thinking like that you disgust me.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

haikinka wrote:

No its absolutely terrible how dare you even think about thinking like that you disgust me.


2468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15
With immediate family I don't mind my ears becoming a dumpster, I can ignore almost all of it. With extended family and friends I might take some but not all of it. With strangers and soulless avatars on the internet anything goes. Your relation should define your response, although if you really don't care don't be afraid to change the subject aggressively. Especially if you never plan on meeting that individual again its just a waste of oxygen on earth.
4911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

VeggyZ wrote:

A racist saying "their opinion" is usually saying it to directly insult another person - and that is wrong.

I am fully supportive of freedom of speech - but only when it's opinion stated to be one's opinion, and not trying to sway others into doing something morally unacceptable with it. We all give our opinions to try to sway others to our way of believing, and that's natural - so saying this makes me somewhat of a hypocrite, but...

Opinions aside, something wrong is something wrong regardless of how you justify it, fact will not become fiction and immoral will not become moral. Things like racist comments are intended to bring shame / harm to another person, and that should not be allowed. It's hard to draw a line on sensitive subjects like that - but in my eyes racism is no longer an opinion if someone is trying to spread it around - it's akin to attacking someone.

I don't see it as a freedom of speech issue at that point.

I do agree with Person B's views on the subject, for the most part, but it depends ENTIRELY on the context as to whether it's actually just an opinion.



VeggyZ wrote:

Yeah sorry, I go on tangents when I start typing. I know that's still not a very clear answer but... context is everything in life!


No, I think you were totally on topic there. It made sense to me, and I feel the same way.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

GotenLoooovesCorn wrote:

With immediate family I don't mind my ears becoming a dumpster, I can ignore almost all of it. With extended family and friends I might take some but not all of it. With strangers and soulless avatars on the internet anything goes. Your relation should define your response, although if you really don't care don't be afraid to change the subject aggressively. Especially if you never plan on meeting that individual again its just a waste of oxygen on earth.


How does that work?
351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
Let a racist person spout their racism.

It gives us decent human beings something to laugh at.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

Dalmah wrote:

Let a racist person spout their racism.

It gives us decent human beings something to laugh at.


Okay then.
2468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/4/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


GotenLoooovesCorn wrote:

With immediate family I don't mind my ears becoming a dumpster, I can ignore almost all of it. With extended family and friends I might take some but not all of it. With strangers and soulless avatars on the internet anything goes. Your relation should define your response, although if you really don't care don't be afraid to change the subject aggressively. Especially if you never plan on meeting that individual again its just a waste of oxygen on earth.


How does that work?


Lots of head nodding mostly. Defending your opinion and discussing it are not the same thing. The thing about arguing is that if you don't get anywhere its mostly blowing off steam, rather than a discussion where 2 people learn about each other. Then again I don't exactly have the chit-chat type personality so that's kind easy for me. I think if you're naturally outspoken it might be tougher for you. One thing is for sure, there's no right way to become open minded or force that on others.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15


Oh, okay.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.