First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
China shrinks photo of Black character in upcoming Star Wars
776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Cleveland, OH
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

teallerina wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:

Wasn't that 12 years a slave poster thing...in Italy? Not Asia...

I really think you're jumping the gun here.



Nope, the 12 Years a Slave thing was also in Asia as well (though you're absolutely right on Italy and other countries doing the same thing).

And well...if anyone is jumping the gun, it's you considering you have been quick to point out Chewbacca and a a fighter plane missing in the poster and trying to saying shrinking a black character is the same thing. Like...do you not know of the racial issues and colorism in Asia? Or are you just ignoring and downplaying them? Perhaps you should read up a bit more before posting and trying to act like it isn't what it actually is.

: /




She's not saying that particular breed of racism doesn't exist, nor is she intentionally ignoring it. She's just pointing out that other choices were made for the artwork other than Boyega having a reduced role in the poster.

Social overtones be damned, I like the modified poster better because of the composition. Maybe that makes me an asshat, but I'm a designing asshat.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

hnrbledischarge wrote:

She's not saying that particular breed of racism doesn't exist, nor is she intentionally ignoring it. She's just pointing out that other choices were made for the artwork other than Boyega having a reduced role in the poster.

Social overtones be damned, I like the modified poster better because of the composition. Maybe that makes me an asshat, but I'm a designing asshat.


^

Never said I dismissed it completely. Only that people are running for a touchdown on this in particular way too early when other reasons are likely considering other factors. People are too trigger happy on accusation making.

It's not impossible, but I'd say alone this evidence doesn't say much of anything.



Posted 12/4/15
No secret that asians are racist.
9607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
Once again, assholes being assholes
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


teallerina wrote:

Nope, the 12 Years a Slave thing was also in Asia as well (though you're absolutely right on Italy and other countries doing the same thing).

And well...if anyone is jumping the gun, it's you considering you have been quick to point out Chewbacca and a a fighter plane missing in the poster and trying to saying shrinking a black character is the same thing. Like...do you not know of the racial issues and colorism in Asia? Or are you just ignoring and downplaying them? Perhaps you should read up a bit more before posting and trying to act like it isn't what it actually is.

: /



Tell me more arbiter of truth.

I stand by what I've said.




By all means. Next time you're in Asia though, brown yourself up a bit if you're not already, change the features a bit and please tell me how you're treated. Then you go stand by what you've said if it still fits.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

teallerina wrote:

Meanwhile in China...and all across Asia - Japan, S.Korea, Vietnam...other countries like India and Thailand as well, etc. etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346130/Star-Wars-race-row-China-black-character-shrunk-posters-Force-Awakens.html

Poor things, I wonder how bummed out they'll all be to find out that shrinking the picture of the black character will not diminish his role in the film. WHOOPS.



You've made countless discriminatory remarks about arabs and muslims in past post....What makes that different than what they are doing?
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

teallerina wrote:

By all means. Next time you're in Asia though, brown yourself up a bit if you're not already, change the features a bit and please tell me how you're treated. Then you go stand by what you've said if it still fits.


Never said there wasn't any racism. You can calm down whenever you're ready.


Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


teallerina wrote:

By all means. Next time you're in Asia though, brown yourself up a bit if you're not already, change the features a bit and please tell me how you're treated. Then you go stand by what you've said if it still fits.


Never said there wasn't any racism. You can calm down whenever you're ready.




Yet, your statements implied that everything was overblown.

"I can't believe people are freaking out about them changing the poster." (Because they had removed Chewie).

And,

"Fucking morons."

Only later on did you say, "Never said I dismissed it completely. Only that people are running for a touchdown on this in particular way too early when other reasons are likely considering other factors. People are too trigger happy on accusation making.

It's not impossible, but I'd say alone this evidence doesn't say much of anything."


I especially like the part where you wrote, "when other reasons are likely considering other factors."

So you still are leaning further on the side of it not being racism. Despite the fact that this is the very racially conscious Asia we're talking about,which has had countless incidents concerning this in the past:so much so that other film industries (especially in America or the much more accepting UK) have talked about it and how hard international marketing with a non-white (especially black) is because of this factor.

But hey - we're just being too trigger happy here and this incident has far less to do with racism than other factors because accusation making is fun.

K.

Posted 12/4/15
That China poster would also implies they favour Darth Vader, lol.

I think people are reading into it too much. It's still better than fashion magazines lightening Black people's skin.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15

teallerina wrote:

Yet, your statements implied that everything was overblown.

"I can't believe people are freaking out about them changing the poster." (Because they had removed Chewie).

And,

"Fucking morons."

Only later on did you say, "Never said I dismissed it completely. Only that people are running for a touchdown on this in particular way too early when other reasons are likely considering other factors. People are too trigger happy on accusation making.

It's not impossible, but I'd say alone this evidence doesn't say much of anything."


I especially like the part where you wrote, "when other reasons are likely considering other factors."

So you still are leaning further on the side of it not being racism. Despite the fact that this is the very racially conscious Asia we're talking about.

K.


Yes. It is likely overblown. The evidence provided isn't convincing enough to accuse of anything. Given new and better evidence, I could be convinced otherwise on the matter.

Just because racism exists doesn't make every little thing automatically racist worthy of flailing arms. You are using the fact that racism exists to assume that such a course of action was 'obviously' racist.

That's where people often fuck it up.


Sogno- 
45631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/4/15
coming from a nation that's 92% of the same ethnicity why would anyone be surprised
48407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
I have bigger things to worry about
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/5/15
Man some of these users on CR are so cringe worthy anyways if this was done because of racism then fuck them if not then whatever it was a simple design change. All i know is i love black people they are some of the most influential people on the planet and im rooting for john boyega cant wait to see the movie may the force be with you all! and to all the boyega haters kiss my ass!
Posted 12/4/15 , edited 12/4/15
There are more imperial warships than there are republican warships in China's poster. From this I will presume that China must have an affinity for the color red, love hatred and evil, and loathe USA.
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Online
Posted 12/4/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


hnrbledischarge wrote:

Yeahhhhhh I was thinking the same thing there too.

I know their story got picked up by Variety. I hope it doesn't spread any further.



All media are whores for hits and clicks.


Hey, watch it now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.