First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply How is Apatheism different from Atheism? Are the two similar in a way?
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.


Explain your opinion in great detail. Give me some philosophy on this, if you can.


1472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
I had never heard of "apatheism" before this. I did look it up briefly however

By definition, apatheists are atheists - as they do not believe in a deity or deities existing.

However, unlike many atheists, they do not really care if God is or is not real.

Honestly, it seems like an incredibly pointless distinction. It's a sub-set of atheism, and in fact a sub-set of agnostic atheism by the sound of it (as I can't see someone being apathetic to the issue of God existing if they believe strongly that God cannot exist, seems contradictory).

In short, all apatheists are atheists, but not the other way around. After reading up on it a bit, many of the things attributed to "apatheists" really seem like ordinary things for atheists to follow in the first place, so again I'm wondering what the whole point of the distinction is.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15

dichologos wrote:

I had never heard of "apatheism" before this. I did look it up briefly however

By definition, apatheists are atheists - as they do not believe in a deity or deities existing.

However, unlike many atheists, they do not really care if God is or is not real.

Honestly, it seems like an incredibly pointless distinction. It's a sub-set of atheism, and in fact a sub-set of agnostic atheism by the sound of it (as I can't see someone being apathetic to the issue of God existing if they believe strongly that God cannot exist, seems contradictory).

In short, all apatheists are atheists, but not the other way around. After reading up on it a bit, many of the things attributed to "apatheists" really seem like ordinary things for atheists to follow in the first place, so again I'm wondering what the whole point of the distinction is.


Interesting. So it's like another form of atheism?
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
well, my pet cat would be an apatheist then
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15

RedExodus wrote:

well, my pet cat would be an apatheist then


How cute.
5016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
Apatheism, from the definition I've seen, seems to be a form of Agnosticism, which is different from Atheism. The distinction between the two is that Atheism rejects any possibility of any version of a god existing, whereas Agnosticism doesn't accept, but doesn't necessarily reject, the existence of a god.

Another way to put it is that Atheism says that there is no god, and Agnosticism says that we can't say for sure whether or not there is. Apatheism, specifically, seems to be about not really caring one way or another.
Posted 12/5/15
My impression was that an apatheist doesn't exactly care to discuss the possibility god or gods exist, and can be said to be presently apathetic to the discussion.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
Atheists believe that there is no god. Apatheists don't care if there is a god.
Posted 12/5/15
One cares and the other doesn't.
39137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 12/5/15 , edited 12/5/15

TheJushel wrote:

Apatheism, from the definition I've seen, seems to be a form of Agnosticism, which is different from Atheism. The distinction between the two is that Atheism rejects any possibility of any version of a god existing, whereas Agnosticism doesn't accept, but doesn't necessarily reject, the existence of a god.

Another way to put it is that Atheism says that there is no god, and Agnosticism says that we can't say for sure whether or not there is. Apatheism, specifically, seems to be about not really caring one way or another.


Not sure how relevant this is to your point, but atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. Id est "agnostic atheism" is perfectly intelligible. Agnostic atheism is usually so canon among atheists that the inclusion of agnostic is often seen as pedantic and unnecessary.

Apatheism is a form of agnosticism, granted; however, apatheists can also be atheists too.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15

brigand554 wrote:

One cares and the other doesn't.


Short and to the point.
Posted 12/5/15 , edited 12/5/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


brigand554 wrote:

One cares and the other doesn't.


Short and to the point.


The atheist may fight to disprove gods, which you technically can't prove or disprove. The apathetic is like "meh whateva imma just smoke dis weeee"
8018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 12/5/15
Umm, it sounds like some atheist got together and felt like they were being jumped for being a atheist too much so they made a new sublet of atheism to make it sound like they aren't one of the atheist that scream about being atheist,

I guess i would fall into this category, if i actually felt like this was any different then just atheism. Because i don't believe there is a god, but I couldn't care less if i was wrong or if i was right. and i say believe because i know people would get butt hurt if i said i know there is no god.

but this sounds like a cop-out so they don't get ragged on.
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/5/15


I feel like I am the apathetist in this.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/5/15

Kanudelgruber wrote:

Atheists believe that there is no god. Apatheists don't care if there is a god.


sounds legit
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.