First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Blood in the water.
Posted 12/9/15
i didn't read thread because SJW means nothing to me... Nancy, who? and if Freddy is quoting me because i misunderstood what this is about... meh.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/9/15 , edited 12/10/15

Pendrick wrote:

i didn't read thread because SJW means nothing to me... Nancy, who? and if Freddy is quoting me because i misunderstood what this is about... meh.


SJW is just bleh. I'd rather call people what they are, stupid and loud. Frankly it can occur from any 'side'. I find it better to take no label more often than not, or at least to not take the frame of mind of any label.

I can't tell exactly what this thread is attempting to point out either, it's rather vague and open to interpretation. It's not just you.

4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 12/9/15
Its that darned pack mentality. Its a evolutionary trait that we just cant seem to get rid of.
38932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/9/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Pendrick wrote:

i didn't read thread because SJW means nothing to me... Nancy, who? and if Freddy is quoting me because i misunderstood what this is about... meh.


SJW is just bleh. I'd rather call people what they are, stupid and loud. Frankly it can occur from any 'side'. I find it better to take no label more often than not, or at least to not take the frame of mind of any label.

I can't tell exactly what this thread is attempting to point out either, it's rather vague and open to interpretation. It's not just you.




SJW is bleh?!?!?!?!.... but...... but... I'm a SJW.... a Secret Judar Warrior.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/9/15 , edited 12/9/15

thekevin4 wrote:

SJW is bleh?!?!?!?!.... but...... but... I'm a SJW.... a Secret Judar Warrior.




And suddenly I like an SJW.

I need an army of SJW now. I never thought I'd say that.


38932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/9/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


thekevin4 wrote:

SJW is bleh?!?!?!?!.... but...... but... I'm a SJW.... a Secret Judar Warrior.




And suddenly I like an SJW.

I need an army of SJW now. I never thought I'd say that.




Yasss, I have influenced the great Prince Judar!!!!
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 12/9/15
thats some sudden judar wars going on
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Online
Posted 12/9/15
Because hypocrisy is human
Posted 12/9/15 , edited 12/9/15
freddy, i don't know who dear is.

PrinceJudar wrote:


Pendrick wrote:

i didn't read thread because SJW means nothing to me... Nancy, who? and if Freddy is quoting me because i misunderstood what this is about... meh.


SJW is just bleh. I'd rather call people what they are, stupid and loud. Frankly it can occur from any 'side'. I find it better to take no label more often than not, or at least to not take the frame of mind of any label.

I can't tell exactly what this thread is attempting to point out either, it's rather vague and open to interpretation. It's not just you.



I've seen people call megahobbit SJW but he's pretty cool.

22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

Pendrick wrote:

I've seen people call megahobbit SJW but he's pretty cool.



Mhm. Sometimes people will write off others too quickly. Labels tend to facilitate that and dogmatism. A fresh revaluation of every argument is the better way of going about things lest one lose out on a possible decent point on a matter.

Labels are an easy dismissal method and often demonstrate laziness, frustration, or inability to reply with a solid argument. Outside of that they're employed as an insult. I don't care to throw them at people in that respect. The only time I may use such terms is in a joke of some sort, nothing really beyond that.

While most times I disagree with megahobbit or may raise an eyebrow at his blatant dismissal of some points, I sometimes may agree with him and I certainly don't make it personal. For me, people's intentions often outweigh their arguments.

Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Pendrick wrote:

I've seen people call megahobbit SJW but he's pretty cool.



Mhm. Sometimes people will write off others too quickly. Labels tend to facilitate that and dogmatism. A fresh revaluation of every argument is the better way of going about things lest one lose out on a possible decent point on a matter.

Labels are an easy dismissal method and often demonstrate laziness, frustration, or inability to reply with a solid argument. Outside of that they're employed as an insult. I don't care to throw them at people in that respect. The only time I may use such terms is in a joke of some sort, nothing really beyond that.

While most times I disagree with megahobbit or may raise an eyebrow at his blatant dismissal of some points, I sometimes may agree with him and I certainly don't make it personal. For me, people's intentions often outweigh their arguments.



Agree, most people would much rather look at the surface of what someone is saying and don't bother so much as to see the underlying structure which connects to something they already know to be the case. Yet they still argue. it's not about the arguments being different but what is useful to gain from said argument.

However, i'd prefer not to get into any argument i'm not interested in. Some people just argue for the sake of it and that annoys me. It shouldn't but i'd rather shut down completely because i know it's not useful to me or something that concerns me.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15
It seems to me that what is principally complained about when one complains about SJWs is people who espouse socially liberal positions insincerely for the sake of improving their personal reputations, so there's your "why" with regard to the bulk of them: they're trying to make themselves look like they're sincerely concerned about the plight of LGBT people, racial/ethnic minorities, and so forth for the sake of generating praise instead of expressing their sincerely held beliefs or trying to improve conditions for anyone. When someone makes a conversational misstep, or indeed even if they don't make a misstep in the context of the discussion, diving down someone's throat and insisting that they're a terrible person for saying this or that is an opportunity to further make oneself look sincerely concerned and to receive praise for seeming concerned. As a result these opportunities are taken or, if they don't exist, created artificially by disregarding context.

Because attention-getting is the objective for such people rather than advancing and advocating for one's sincerely held political beliefs these positions are often expressed in extreme, perhaps even threatening, ways. The more extreme you are the more likely you are to be noticed and discussed, and so a vicious cycle of one-upmanship is initiated. Worse yet, this cycle is self-perpetuating because the extremity is rewarded by fellow attention-seekers who will then try to "do one better" so as to claim some of that praise for themselves. This is why the segment of Tumblr that is occupied by SJWs and those that fight with them has become as radical as it has, because that cycle has gone around, and around, and around so many times. Incidentally, opposition to SJWs seems to have the exact same cycle going, only in this case praise and attention are gained by opposing socially liberal positions progressively more radically instead of endorsing them progressively more radically. This is irksome to those of us who sincerely hold socially liberal beliefs, and I'm sure the other cycle is irksome to those who sincerely hold opposing beliefs, but most of all it seems to be irksome to those who are undecided or disinterested in social issues.

That's the end of the main portion of my post, though I will offer my thoughts on what sites are doing regarding these cycles of behaviour since the OP does ask what can or should be done. I'll also put it in spoilers to make the main portion of my post easier to discern.

Posted 12/10/15
Now I can't validate this, but after looking at groups dedicated to SJWs, I can say too many of them are conservatives taking a stance against LGBT rights and various other issues. I mean, come on. Do you really want to align yourselves against people who think SJWs are ruining the world with gay marriage? Look at Maxgale's posts usage of the word SJW and liberal.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 12/10/15

thegreywitch wrote:


Like sharks, piranhas , etc who smell blood and go into a feeding frenzy, some people like to prey on people who make mistakes, be there at just the right moment, as if they don't have a life and calculated it, I don't get that.

Why is it that whenever a person follies, there is always a certain kind of person that comes to take advantage of the situation?

On the forums, its more often females than males that do this. We have this strong sense of justice, a sort of feisty Nancy Grace within us.

Have you ever watched Nancy Grace? She's hilariously passionate, but quite eccentric to say the least, even abusive. Says whatever the fuck she wants to say, to whoever she wants to say it, too. It's her show. But I digress, thread isn't about Nancy Grace.

Is this the latest manifestastion of the SJW? What can be done and why do we tolerate it? Discuss.


I think there is starting to be a backlash against these types that get offended over every damn thing. At least, on the sites I've seen.

Also, Nancy Grace is EVIL. She is a vile human being who made an innocent person kill herself.
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Pendrick wrote:

I've seen people call megahobbit SJW but he's pretty cool.



Mhm. Sometimes people will write off others too quickly. Labels tend to facilitate that and dogmatism. A fresh revaluation of every argument is the better way of going about things lest one lose out on a possible decent point on a matter.

Labels are an easy dismissal method and often demonstrate laziness, frustration, or inability to reply with a solid argument. Outside of that they're employed as an insult. I don't care to throw them at people in that respect. The only time I may use such terms is in a joke of some sort, nothing really beyond that.

While most times I disagree with megahobbit or may raise an eyebrow at his blatant dismissal of some points, I sometimes may agree with him and I certainly don't make it personal. For me, people's intentions often outweigh their arguments.



While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


Nogara-san wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:


Like sharks, piranhas , etc who smell blood and go into a feeding frenzy, some people like to prey on people who make mistakes, be there at just the right moment, as if they don't have a life and calculated it, I don't get that.

Why is it that whenever a person follies, there is always a certain kind of person that comes to take advantage of the situation?

On the forums, its more often females than males that do this. We have this strong sense of justice, a sort of feisty Nancy Grace within us.

Have you ever watched Nancy Grace? She's hilariously passionate, but quite eccentric to say the least, even abusive. Says whatever the fuck she wants to say, to whoever she wants to say it, too. It's her show. But I digress, thread isn't about Nancy Grace.

Is this the latest manifestastion of the SJW? What can be done and why do we tolerate it? Discuss.


I think there is starting to be a backlash against these types that get offended over every damn thing. At least, on the sites I've seen.

Also, Nancy Grace is EVIL. She is a vile human being who made an innocent person kill herself.


Who cares about stereotypes anyway? With regards to Nancy Grace, sadly she has amassed her own cult following at this juncture. kind of like this topic and what its about. Fascinating irony,
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.