First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Blood in the water.
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

BlueOni wrote:

It seems to me that what is principally complained about when one complains about SJWs is people who espouse socially liberal positions insincerely for the sake of improving their personal reputations, so there's your "why" with regard to the bulk of them: they're trying to make themselves look like they're sincerely concerned about the plight of LGBT people, racial/ethnic minorities, and so forth for the sake of generating praise instead of expressing their sincerely held beliefs or trying to improve conditions for anyone. When someone makes a conversational misstep, or indeed even if they don't make a misstep in the context of the discussion, diving down someone's throat and insisting that they're a terrible person for saying this or that is an opportunity to further make oneself look sincerely concerned and to receive praise for seeming concerned. As a result these opportunities are taken or, if they don't exist, created artificially by disregarding context.

Because attention-getting is the objective for such people rather than advancing and advocating for one's sincerely held political beliefs these positions are often expressed in extreme, perhaps even threatening, ways. The more extreme you are the more likely you are to be noticed and discussed, and so a vicious cycle of one-upmanship is initiated. Worse yet, this cycle is self-perpetuating because the extremity is rewarded by fellow attention-seekers who will then try to "do one better" so as to claim some of that praise for themselves. This is why the segment of Tumblr that is occupied by SJWs and those that fight with them has become as radical as it has, because that cycle has gone around, and around, and around so many times. Incidentally, opposition to SJWs seems to have the exact same cycle going, only in this case praise and attention are gained by opposing socially liberal positions progressively more radically instead of endorsing them progressively more radically. This is irksome to those of us who sincerely hold socially liberal beliefs, and I'm sure the other cycle is irksome to those who sincerely hold opposing beliefs, but most of all it seems to be irksome to those who are undecided or disinterested in social issues.

That's the end of the main portion of my post, though I will offer my thoughts on what sites are doing regarding these cycles of behaviour since the OP does ask what can or should be done. I'll also put it in spoilers to make the main portion of my post easier to discern.



I see you saw my thread on this in the Closed section, then? You're right, neutrality is good. My opinion is .. its a news feed. Yeah, I see why some are upset over the change of policy there. It's just asinine to me to go on and on after, I supposed.

In my case, I've been all over the place trying to find where I belong on the issues, after a lot of changes in my personal and family life. That's mainly the reason for my own unsteadiness, I can't speak for the motivations for other people, but I'm definitely not in it for friends. As Caius said, change is the only constant, apply that to life. I genuinely doubt I'll reconsider, I belong on the left across from these pro-lifers, immigration control, and gun fanatics. I can't in good conscience vote for someone that stands against my values at this time, even if he's good in debates (arguing :)

v All you see is you. The thread is about internet social behaviour, not you. Don't know why you came on my thread in the first place attacking, talking shit, but I do know we're done talking, good day.
23985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


What kind of malarkey did you translate my post into? I simply stated I didn't like people throwing around labels to dismiss others and you lose your shit on me with a bunch of jealously enhanced shit posting.

Fuck, I don't even carry a stupid label. I don't know what your personal problem is with me, but you need to calm your fuckin' shit mate.

And I simply stated I didn't like the current internet social behavior extremities. You do that then, that kind of attitude will serve you well.

2983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Seoul, South Korea
Offline
Posted 12/10/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


What kind of malarkey did you translate my post into? I simply stated I didn't like people throwing around labels to dismiss others and you lose your shit on me with a bunch of jealously enhanced shit posting.

Fuck, I don't even carry a stupid label. I don't know what your personal problem is with me, but you need to calm your fuckin' shit mate.

And I simply stated I didn't like the current internet social behavior extremities. You do that then, that kind of attitude will serve you well.



Holy shit, she roasted the shit outta you for nothin', lol/

Also, I guess I'm stupid af because I thought education= intelligence. Whelp, I'm dumb.
Sogno- 
46700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/15
das nasty
23985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/10/15

Magical-Soul wrote:

Holy shit, she roasted the shit outta you for nothin', lol/

Also, I guess I'm stupid af because I thought education= intelligence. Whelp, I'm dumb.


Hah. Welcome back miss. Looks like you got off early, but I'm sure yah got plenty to catch up on still.


Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

Magical-Soul wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


What kind of malarkey did you translate my post into? I simply stated I didn't like people throwing around labels to dismiss others and you lose your shit on me with a bunch of jealously enhanced shit posting.

Fuck, I don't even carry a stupid label. I don't know what your personal problem is with me, but you need to calm your fuckin' shit mate.

And I simply stated I didn't like the current internet social behavior extremities. You do that then, that kind of attitude will serve you well.



Holy shit, she roasted the shit outta you for nothin', lol/

Also, I guess I'm stupid af because I thought education= intelligence. Whelp, I'm dumb.


FYI, Human Intelligence is innate, not learned. Education is like the blacksmith's forge for iron to be made into steel and shaped/perfected into a finer tool or weapon. Know the difference, please.

As for her, she came on here spouting the thread served no purpose, insinuating/implying shit trying to derail it. Moral to this story would be, if you gaze into evil, evil gazes right back, or, if you prefer, if you can't stand the heat, you better stay out of the kitchen. Okay? Good day.
2983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Seoul, South Korea
Offline
Posted 12/10/15

thegreywitch wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


What kind of malarkey did you translate my post into? I simply stated I didn't like people throwing around labels to dismiss others and you lose your shit on me with a bunch of jealously enhanced shit posting.

Fuck, I don't even carry a stupid label. I don't know what your personal problem is with me, but you need to calm your fuckin' shit mate.

And I simply stated I didn't like the current internet social behavior extremities. You do that then, that kind of attitude will serve you well.



Holy shit, she roasted the shit outta you for nothin', lol/

Also, I guess I'm stupid af because I thought education= intelligence. Whelp, I'm dumb.


FYI, Human Intelligence is innate, not learned. Education is like the blacksmith's forge for iron to be made into steel and shaped/perfected into a finer tool or weapon. Know the difference, please.

As for her, she came on here spouting the thread served no purpose, insinuating/implying shit trying to derail it. Moral to this story would be, if you gaze into evil, evil gazes right back, or, if you prefer, if you can't stand the heat, you better stay out of the kitchen. Okay? Good day.


Calm down sugarcube, she didn't try to derail, she actually stayed on topic on all her posts(I read through it just now), you seem to be responding to her tone/your view of her tone rather than what she actually said. She disagreed with some things and she can come off condescending but that's just the culture of forums, her posting of Magi gifs is something she likes to do, and always does these days, it's not to illicit a reaction.

So, yeah, don't respond to tones, but the words, as tones are subjective and words aren't. *Pours cold pack on your head* Relax...
Posted 12/10/15 , edited 12/10/15

Magical-Soul wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


What kind of malarkey did you translate my post into? I simply stated I didn't like people throwing around labels to dismiss others and you lose your shit on me with a bunch of jealously enhanced shit posting.

Fuck, I don't even carry a stupid label. I don't know what your personal problem is with me, but you need to calm your fuckin' shit mate.

And I simply stated I didn't like the current internet social behavior extremities. You do that then, that kind of attitude will serve you well.



Holy shit, she roasted the shit outta you for nothin', lol/

Also, I guess I'm stupid af because I thought education= intelligence. Whelp, I'm dumb.


FYI, Human Intelligence is innate, not learned. Education is like the blacksmith's forge for iron to be made into steel and shaped/perfected into a finer tool or weapon. Know the difference, please.

As for her, she came on here spouting the thread served no purpose, insinuating/implying shit trying to derail it. Moral to this story would be, if you gaze into evil, evil gazes right back, or, if you prefer, if you can't stand the heat, you better stay out of the kitchen. Okay? Good day.


Calm down sugarcube, she didn't try to derail, she actually stayed on topic on all her posts(I read through it just now), you seem to be responding to her tone/your view of her tone rather than what she actually said. She disagreed with some things and she can come off condescending but that's just the culture of forums, her posting of Magi gifs is something she likes to do, and always does these days, it's not to illicit a reaction.

So, yeah, don't respond to tones, but the words, as tones are subjective and words aren't. *Pours cold pack on your head* Relax...


Thank you. Though I'm rather chill now regarding this exchange. Water under the bridge, as far as I go.^_^

As for words, I like this one.

source: atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/are-words-objective-or-subjective‎

Dec 18, 2011 ... Words don't have meaning on the objective scale. They are symbols which relate to ideas, but they aren't objective. They are subjective. They are subjective depending on condition, on circumstance, on culture, on language...
Take the word power which we are discussing. The English word "power" has 20 different meanings according tohttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/power
This makes the word very, very subjective. Science and mathematics are the only reliable way to determine meaning.


Although I'm ambivalent on that last statement, as I believe in an all-around approach towards meaning, not just in the sciences.
42110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / edge city
Offline
Posted 12/12/15

Irishsushi wrote:

Its that darned pack mentality. Its a evolutionary trait that we just cant seem to get rid of.


Well, yes. People will assimilate and adapt to things, even if hesitantly at first, if it'll get them admiration and respect. A lot of people are so self indulged that they do just that. Not even caring how many others they trample in the process.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 12/12/15



thegreywitch wrote:

While you are playing your guessing games, have you ever stopped to consider that not everyone likes to argue, or that if rudeness is mentioned, they might not be referring to you personally? No, you don't.

As for megahobbit, hanson, and a few others, they're a lot like you, they like to carry labels superficially in much the same fashion as BlueOni was referring to, and they like to prattle on and on in silly and pointless arguments they've ripped off of other sites, while using silly memes to look cute all the while. Education doesn't equal intelligence, either, so don't underestimate me. I could do everything you do if only I cared to, so you're right about one thing, I'm too complacent and even if I felt like engaging your every attempt at eliciting a response I just feel from experience it isn't worth my time and effort.


God damn dude chillax. Take a deep breath real quick maybe smoke a little, but you seriously need to relax.
One Punch Mod
91250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/12/15 , edited 12/12/15
Closed because OP nuked.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.