First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Christmas offensive?
48485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 12/12/15
I celebrate Christmas. It is one of my favorite holidays. Christmas is most enjoyable spent with family and friends. Exchanging gifts is usually optional but appreciated when given. I go as far as giving Christmas cards and treats to my co-workers and decorate my office with blinking lights, Nativity, tree, and listening to Christmas songs.

Halloween is second although not a holiday (it should be ).
48490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 12/13/15
Personally, I am of the opinion that Christmas should be reserved for Christians. I think it is sad (for people who appreciate Christmas for what it is) to have a holiday tradition that is so secularized, commercialized and materialized. I don't celebrate it or acknowledge what it represents but will have fun with people who do celebrate it if they invite me.

Many people seem to want to protect the Christmas symbolism and meaning for a reason. I don't disagree with them on that, although as an atheist I would kind of like a winter holiday that atheists can call their own to celebrate alongside Christians while they are celebrating Christmas. This would work out well as cover for why I am celebrating Christmas without the possible awkwardness of revealing that I am an atheist.
4490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 12/13/15
I'm fine with Christmas. I was brought up celebrating that. There was also Eid, Diwali and Hosay that I was invite to take part in the celibrations as well. All festivities can be fun.
149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/13/15
How does one even get offended over something like Christmas? I don't believe in a religion, but I'm not going to get offended over a holiday. Its just childish in my opinion.

Plus, I get presents. So I'm definitely not getting offended lol.
Posted 12/13/15
Nope.
But I'm never in a festive mood.
2549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/13/15
Extremely offensive.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/14/15

JammyMan wrote:

How does one even get offended over something like Christmas? I don't believe in a religion, but I'm not going to get offended over a holiday. Its just childish in my opinion.

Plus, I get presents. So I'm definitely not getting offended lol.

It's the year of the offended after all.
31119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/14/15
This fat old guy in a red suit keeps calling me a ho. I find that pretty offensive.

Other than that, I don't really care what people do or don't celebrate. I just accept various holiday greetings in the spirit in which they're given, whether that particular belief system pertains to me or not.
30958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/14/15
Anything can be *made* offensive. Depends on the intent or perceived intent, as well as the behavior of those involved.

I think happy holidays is fine, as is celebrating your holiday and wishing others well, but the assumption that "My culture is the majority in this area so I have no need to consider anything but that you must also observe my holiday" is slightly offensive, because it can be either insensitive (other holidays are beneath your notice) or intellectually lazy (you may know other holidays exist, but it's too much trouble for you to bother mentioning them since yours is the only one you care about).

Not just Christmas, but any country anywhere with sectarian holiday observance by the majority. If someone is fully aware that the person they're speaking to doesn't celebrate, but makes a point of saying only "Merry Christmas" to them (not accidental) that can become a form of harassment/exclusion even.

Is it worth getting bent out of shape over? Not really.

I think Christmas is fine in concept, but it's become something far removed from its origins, at least in the U.S. There are Christians that are anti-Christmas because of how commercialized it is.
871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / West Friendship,...
Offline
Posted 12/14/15 , edited 12/14/15
I think if you really care about respecting others, you say Happy Holidays. If you celebrate something particular, don't shove it in their face by telling them "have a happy Xmas" when they wont if they're not celebrating Christmas.

I actually am in the middle and just like celebrating this time of year, so I personally don't care which holiday you greet me or depart with.
I don't mind saying Merry Christmas to people who I know celebrate it, but to go out in public and say it to complete strangers when you know very well that there's more than "Christmas" going on, is just being a little rude and asking for trouble :p The same goes for:

Saint Nicholas Day (Christian)
Eid'ul-Adha (Muslim)
Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican)
St. Lucia Day (Swedish)
Hanukkah (Jewish)
Christmas Day (Christian)
Three Kings Day/Epiphany (Christian)
Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish)
Kwanzaa (African American)
Omisoka (Japanese)
Yule (Pagan)
Saturnalia (Pagan)
or any other holiday celebration that's going on at this time of year.

But that's just me, of course.
Posted 12/14/15 , edited 12/14/15
Idk how it would be offensive even if ur not cristian most people celebrate it to spemd time with family
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/15 , edited 12/14/15

JustineKo2 wrote:

Personally, I am of the opinion that Christmas should be reserved for Christians. I think it is sad (for people who appreciate Christmas for what it is) to have a holiday tradition that is so secularized, commercialized and materialized. I don't celebrate it or acknowledge what it represents but will have fun with people who do celebrate it if they invite me.

Many people seem to want to protect the Christmas symbolism and meaning for a reason. I don't disagree with them on that, although as an atheist I would kind of like a winter holiday that atheists can call their own to celebrate alongside Christians while they are celebrating Christmas. This would work out well as cover for why I am celebrating Christmas without the possible awkwardness of revealing that I am an atheist.


It's not awkward at all to celebrate Christmas as an atheist these days. Christmas, although it may seem materialistic to some, is really about giving and appreciating those we love or care about. It's a good thing to have a period of time where people reflect on what they can do for other people outside of themselves. Gifts can be expensive, but they can also have more sentimental value.

Instead of looking at it as a Christian thing, look at it as a time where people are actually running around and typically trying to do their best to make other people happy. Even from a secular viewpoint, the attitude can't really be attributed as a negative thing.

There's a reason Christmas has lost most of its original meaning or symbolism, and gained a newer meaning for people--one arguably better.

22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 12/14/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


JustineKo2 wrote:

Personally, I am of the opinion that Christmas should be reserved for Christians. I think it is sad (for people who appreciate Christmas for what it is) to have a holiday tradition that is so secularized, commercialized and materialized. I don't celebrate it or acknowledge what it represents but will have fun with people who do celebrate it if they invite me.

Many people seem to want to protect the Christmas symbolism and meaning for a reason. I don't disagree with them on that, although as an atheist I would kind of like a winter holiday that atheists can call their own to celebrate alongside Christians while they are celebrating Christmas. This would work out well as cover for why I am celebrating Christmas without the possible awkwardness of revealing that I am an atheist.


It's not awkward at all to celebrate Christmas as an atheist these days. Christmas, although it may seem materialistic to some, is really about giving and appreciating those we love or care about. It's a good thing to have a period of time where people reflect on what they can do for other people outside of themselves. Gifts can be expensive, but they can also have more sentimental value.

Instead of looking at it as a Christian thing, look at it as a time where people are actually running around and typically trying to do their best to make other people happy. Even from a secular viewpoint, the attitude can't really be attributed as a negative thing.

There's a reason Christmas has lost most of its original meaning or symbolism, and gained a newer meaning for people--one arguably better.



I like all this above me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I try to do little Pay it forward acts to build good feeling momentum. Example all this week when crossing the bridge to work I pay for the guy behind me. Sometimes I might get a honk with a wave most of the time nothing- but ripples of good will sometimes spread:)
8021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 12/14/15
if you try hard enough you can get offended by me not being offended by asking me if I'm offended.
I don't know why it's come down to being "politically correct" about anything. Like, who actually gives a flying fudge about being politically correct?

If you're too careful you never say what you mean and if you're too outspoken groups of people come out in droves to shame you. I figure if you never offend anyone with what you do then you'll never make a difference.

If you wanna say "Merry Christmas" you might as well do it and let the other person be butt hurt. They chose to react that way, why should that matter to you?

Go ahead and say whatever Holiday Greeting you want to because someone will be offended and correct you anyway. Just as long as you're being honest to who you are.

Hope this helps!
302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Portland
Offline
Posted 12/14/15

eclair-lumiere wrote:
Christmas isn't even really about religion anymore. I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas because it's a holiday about being nice to others, having fun, exchanging presents etc. Surely no matter what religion you are, you shouldn't be offended by joy and happiness.

For those who do like Christmas, enjoy these festive anime images. For anyone who hates Christmas, get a life


Holy fuck, realist thing I've read in awhile, preach man. I wish I knew more people like this.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.