First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Games are getting Boring?
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
I recall my first gaming memories vividly in my first game "skullmonkeys" (A PS1 game from 1998), it me brought me so much joy and it was my world. You should of seen my face when I opened a packet of Corn Flakes to find Age of Empires 1, that game was like a wet dream. Fast forward today I'm paying 70 USD for games that have GREATLY improved on graphics but I feel nothing, I have to play with friends and I have to win in order to enjoy them.

Basically what I'm getting at is have Games lost their fun from your perspective and further more why?
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
RTS games never lose their fun, never. (Untill you get to Grandmaster league in SCII, where you just get your ass handed to you by Koreans. :/)
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

Nyanotic wrote:

RTS games never lose their fun, never. (Untill you get to Grandmaster league in SCII, where you just get your ass handed to you by Koreans. :/)


RTS used to be my love child genre but the constant lack of support and popularization of other genres (MOBA) has lead to the supposed death of RTS. Only "RTS" game I'm looking forward to is Warhammer Total war, which is actually a hybridization of RTS and TBS.

Regarding SC2 can't say I enjoy it (Have the latest expansion), Play zerg when I play it and it's just sort of draining.
Kilscy 
5168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Somewhere in Engl...
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
Funny thing my associates were saying this only a few days ago. The main thing that emerged from the ensuing discussion is the games are complex in both game play and plot, losing the pick up and go fun factor of the older (retro?) titles.

Personally every time someone tried to get me to play something "new" (read anything since approx 2005) i would find myself loosing interest in it fairly quickly, yet can get absorbed by something simple that predates myself. Could be a case of simple things please simple minds though.

13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

Kilscy wrote:

Funny thing my associates were saying this only a few days ago. The main thing that emerged from the ensuing discussion is the games are complex in both game play and plot, losing the pick up and go fun factor of the older (retro?) titles.

Personally every time someone tried to get me to play something "new" (read anything since approx 2005) i would find myself loosing interest in it fairly quickly, yet can get absorbed by something simple that predates myself. Could be a case of simple things please simple minds though.



I have this very same problem, it's also a very costly problem as I've spent like 250 USD on games this Christmas time to appease my bloody friends. They don't even play the games any-more lol. There's to many multiplayer dependant games these days. Can't even have a decent single player experience.
689 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / U.S
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
Try different genre that you really can't see yourself interested in, that's what I usually do, Any yeah, a lot of new games are actually utter shit, I don't even bother playing anything anymore, I merely sit down and wait until a good horror survival game comes out.
Kilscy 
5168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Somewhere in Engl...
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
Got to keep up with fashion though... heck got ridiculed enough when I said nuts to it all .

On a serious note (though possibly drifting O.T.), is there really that low a demand for decent single player games? Just thinking if nothing else some of the older ones remade (properly) with the graphics, memory and processor power that is now available...
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

Kilscy wrote:

Got to keep up with fashion though... heck got ridiculed enough when I said nuts to it all .

On a serious note (though possibly drifting O.T.), is there really that low a demand for decent single player games? Just thinking if nothing else some of the older ones remade (properly) with the graphics, memory and processor power that is now available...


Fallout 4 was most definitely a sought out addition to single player games but other than that I can't think of any major titles arriving for strictly offline players. Also I would love to see a few remakes but then again they just wont be the same as their predecessors, a MW2 redone would be funny.


ShittyRestaurant wrote:

Try different genre that you really can't see yourself interested in, that's what I usually do, Any yeah, a lot of new games are actually utter shit, I don't even bother playing anything anymore, I merely sit down and wait until a good horror survival game comes out.


Yeah man I've been all over the place. Tactical shooters, first person shooters (Got pretty good at CS GO), TBS, RTS and choice based telltale (Life is Strange). I just want them to release an epic new RTS that isn't SC2.

And I too would appreciate a good horror survival game that you can play co op in.
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 12/11/15 , edited 12/11/15

GrandMasterTime wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:

RTS games never lose their fun, never. (Untill you get to Grandmaster league in SCII, where you just get your ass handed to you by Koreans. :/)


RTS used to be my love child genre but the constant lack of support and popularization of other genres (MOBA) has lead to the supposed death of RTS. Only "RTS" game I'm looking forward to is Warhammer Total war, which is actually a hybridization of RTS and TBS.

Regarding SC2 can't say I enjoy it (Have the latest expansion), Play zerg when I play it and it's just sort of draining.



I find that it's the small genres that usually have the best fanbase (I'm looking at you Minecraft and Call of Duty) which makes them all the more enjoyable to play.

I agree that SCII is draining though, requires a lot more focus and thinking than the usual brainless crap.
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15 , edited 12/11/15


I think the recent expansion added some recent classics from SC1 into the game so I'll probably actually have to get back into it, that being said I really just want a new RTS with a full on scenario creator that is historically accurate and portrays a form of human history. Would love to see an Empire earth sort of game again.
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

GrandMasterTime wrote:



I think the recent expansion added some recent classics from SC1 into the game so I'll probably actually have to get back into it, that being said I really just want a new RTS with a full on scenario creator that is historically accurate and portrays a form of human history. Would love to see an Empire earth sort of game again.


I agree. It would be nice to see some diversity in the genre. After all, Warcraft III is dead as a doornail.
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

Nyanotic wrote:


GrandMasterTime wrote:



I think the recent expansion added some recent classics from SC1 into the game so I'll probably actually have to get back into it, that being said I really just want a new RTS with a full on scenario creator that is historically accurate and portrays a form of human history. Would love to see an Empire earth sort of game again.


I agree. It would be nice to see some diversity in the genre. After all, Warcraft III is dead as a doornail.


Warcraft IV? It's been a long time coming.
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 12/11/15

GrandMasterTime wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:


GrandMasterTime wrote:



I think the recent expansion added some recent classics from SC1 into the game so I'll probably actually have to get back into it, that being said I really just want a new RTS with a full on scenario creator that is historically accurate and portrays a form of human history. Would love to see an Empire earth sort of game again.


I agree. It would be nice to see some diversity in the genre. After all, Warcraft III is dead as a doornail.


Warcraft IV? It's been a long time coming.


Almost a decade and a half since the last one, yeah. Unfortunately, I think Warcraft IV will never see the light of day considering the things Blizzard has in the pipeline right now.

We can dream though. We can always dream.
9283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/11/15 , edited 12/11/15
Whilst i agree that games dont seem as fun or exciting as they used to, i agree with what other(s) have said. Try different genres.
When i was young i played all sorts of games but i probably mostly played platform games and arcade style games, fighting games, beat em ups, maybe some racing games, etc
Then i got in RPG's. Mostly JRPG's. Then i got more into western RPG's.
Somewhere along the line i got into RTS games and survival horror games.
Then on line FPS shooters like Battlefield.

Whilst i mainly just play RPG's and FPS games i do at times try to mix it up a little and play something different.
Occasionally i will still play a console game an JRPG's but i more like games like Dragon Age, Fallout, Xcom and Battlefield.

But yeah not as many games give me "dem feels" like they used to. Might just be part of getting older, might be like movies, some games are more about the graphics and cut scenes than the game play or story line, some games have gotten more complicated and real but some have juts been dumbed down and seem like cash cows and are very recyclable.

I miss JRPG's used to play em like crazy. I think iam due to play one. I miss playing fighting games with my friends also.

I think mixing it up between single player and multi player helps also, and mixing it up between just plying on line and actually playing with friends in the same room (like a LAN party orconsole and control pads).

I still hyave not really delved into the world of MMO's. Like MORPG's and survial/crafting type games.

Occasioanlly i'll play a visual novel or dating sim or a game like Hunie Pop.




773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M / Boulevard of Brok...
Offline
Posted 12/11/15
Forreal games aren't like they were back then. They were actually FUN to play. Now it's just a tug of war for the best graphics.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.