First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Real Talk! Why is so many anime so "sexist"
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/13/15


There's anime out there that isn't "sexist", if only people would bother to look.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 12/13/15

GamerWarrior wrote:

Alright imma get right to the point. I have been noticing lately (and its dead obvious) that the newer animes have been over sexualizing women waaaay to much then neccesarry. Now Ecchi anime have been around since anime came out. And I have nothing against the genre of ecchi anime but some animes such as Sword Art Online have been going way overboard with their fanservice to the point where the animators or mangakas aren't even taking this seriously. I mean just take High School of the Dead as an example. In just 5 episode in I have no clue what they are fighting for when most of the time I'm shoved with fanservice. A lot of these anime have soo much potential but they kill the show with its false depictions of overly secualized women/girl. Heck at times it feels like I'm watching p0rn and well an anime should not feel like that. Maybe its just me but what do you guys think? In all honestly I believe the company is going too far with this!


I couldn't get thru SAO because I was too pissed off over how Asuna was treated but with HSotD.....I mean, they're fighting zombies.

I understand about the fanservice; it can get over excessive at times(like in HSotD but Saeko actually was pretty kickass) but:

1. Sex sells. And the majority of anime/figure buyers are male...though with the recent onslaught of otome series and series like K or Durarara...or even the success of Touken Ranbu...there is a female audience out there. So naturally companies want to make what sells.

2. Japan might be progressive in some things but as others have said, they're not too progressive with women's issues.


There are series, again as others have mentioned, that do have strong female protagionists though and no fanservice. Check out series like Stein's Gate or Psycho Pass; a strong female character is the MC and there's no T and A. The recent Perfect Insider is another series that has no fanservice.

I mean, it's not all tits and ass. Or cute girls eating cake and drinking tea.

15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 12/13/15

cyberfaust wrote:



There's anime out there that isn't "sexist", if only people would bother to look.


I think people would rather spend their time being pompous SJWs.

Me on the other hand, if I don't like something I don't watch it. I spend my time looking for other anime to watch... as you say.
Posted 12/14/15 , edited 12/14/15
Everything is sexist today, isn't it? God I hate it when you people think you're being so progressive by complaining about every minute detail, even when you type your sentences all wrong like and such.
Werina 
205424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
LOSERVILLE
Offline
Posted 12/14/15
oh, i read the title as "exist" .. /facepalm
208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

saprobe wrote:

The short answer to the question in your title: Anime is sexist because Japan has a culture that is sexist by Western standards.

Fanservice can be an equal opportunity game since there is sexualization of both male and female characters . You can't really call it inherently sexist. What is sexist is the constant lack of personality and agency that females usually have in the shows. They're usually archetypes rather than characters and they are typically infantilized or rendered irrelevant by male characters. There are notable exceptions to this, of course.

My suggestion to you would be to stop "powering through" shows that have so much fanservice that it bothers you and look for shows that match your palette a little better. They're out there.


Precisely. It really just has to do with the fact that Japanese culture as a whole is also a lot more open about sexuality than we are.

659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
I'm fine with it as long as the female characters actually have a reason to be on the show outside the fanservice, the main reason for fanservice is because it makes the companies who make anime a lot (and I mean A LOT) of money. Which given people make these anime for a living, anything which makes them profit is what they will go for.

2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
it's pretty much because a lot of anime pr's know that sex sells and they go for the writers that are gonna give them the most money. Why have a good plot and an awesome show when you can give someone something to spank to that's guaranteed to get ratings?

I'm with you on this, I hate fanservice, ecchiness and romance entirely...which is why I'm making my own sh-t because it seems like making women as sexy as possible is gonna be the fad of the future.
TLOU 
20418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Kansas City, MO
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15
So it's sexist because the females are well endowed? I never understood that logic. Moreover I usually see guys complain about how one anime or another is sexist and the females are usually "I don't really care". As a wise man once said
12797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Kentucky, USA
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
You see the problem is I feel a lot of people are looking for "sexism" anywhere they can find it. Is some anime sexist? Hell yeah it is! But if you would just watch to enjoy the show instead of watching to be critical or find flaws in some shape or form you might notice some sexism but it most likely wouldn't be enough to break the show for you. If it is enough to ruin the show then stop watching the show, that's easy enough isn't it? Do I support sexism? No. But I understand that I'm not going to be able to escape it so I might as well try to enjoy myself.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/15
Anime doesn't sexualize girls or women, it sexualizes anime characters. If you are treating those as the same thing, you are doing things very wrong and failing to grasp an extremely important principle underpinning anime, manga, games and light novels. And that would be the 2D-3D principle. 2D is 2D and 3D is 3D, which is to say that Love Live is not representative of real high school girls or real high school. It would be nice if a site like Crunchyroll or ANN tried to educate their readers about this very important topic, but we'll probably see Hayao Miyazaki buy a MonMusu dakimakura before that happens.


lambofgenesis wrote:

moe is pretty much sexist tbh ^^. They make girls dumb, weak, and nothing more than something guys have to care for... you know! LIKE PETS XD

And this is another problem. People don't watch anime, they just listen to other people talk about it. Everyone "knows" what moe anime is like but nobody's actually seen it.
30697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Indianapolis, Ind...
Offline
Posted 12/17/15
It's like nobody understands where anime comes from and the culture that produces it.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 12/17/15

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

....

How many times, and in how many topics, has this question been asked?

Anybody playing the Crunchyroll Drinking Game ™ can now take a drink.






No reason to ask it, either, when it's already been settled:



http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-850379/anime-isnt-misogynistic
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 12/17/15

maxgale wrote:
No reason to ask it, either, when it's already been settled:


You shameless self-promoter, you. *elbows*

423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/15

maxgale wrote:


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

....

How many times, and in how many topics, has this question been asked?

Anybody playing the Crunchyroll Drinking Game ™ can now take a drink.

No reason to ask it, either, when it's already been settled:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-850379/anime-isnt-misogynistic

I agree with the sentiment, but what people don't take into account is the 2D-3D principle I mentioned earlier. Trying to defend anime as if it were live action and produced in America is missing the point, and leaves a lot unnecessary openings for critics to attack (incidentally, many if not most of these critics don't even watch anime (even if they claim they do), and are pushing a hidden and dishonest agenda).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.