First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Real Talk! Why is so many anime so "sexist"
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

GamerWarrior wrote:

Alright imma get right to the point. I have been noticing lately (and its dead obvious) that the newer animes have been over sexualizing women waaaay to much then neccesarry. Now Ecchi anime have been around since anime came out. And I have nothing against the genre of ecchi anime but some animes such as Sword Art Online have been going way overboard with their fanservice to the point where the animators or mangakas aren't even taking this seriously. I mean just take High School of the Dead as an example. In just 5 episode in I have no clue what they are fighting for when most of the time I'm shoved with fanservice. A lot of these anime have soo much potential but they kill the show with its false depictions of overly secualized women/girl. Heck at times it feels like I'm watching p0rn and well an anime should not feel like that. Maybe its just me but what do you guys think? In all honestly I believe the company is going too far with this!


Men get sexualised in Anime as well. But noone ever mentions that...
Posted 12/18/15
You are right about that Scooty-Bby. And I'm against the sexualization for both women and men. But this is business so having more fanservice (especially towards the male audience) brings more profit for the company. And although that makes sense in a business sense. Its wrong for viewers like us and they need to reconsider how we "feel" about these kinds of "sexualized" content!
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
The more time people spend on their high horses fretting about and judging anime by ridiculous standards, the less time they spend watching anime.

Watch more anime, dammit.
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
I swear I just read something here that said SAO was going overboard with their fanservice.

lolwut?
Sure their merchandise may be fanservicey, but what series' merchandise isn't? They even got Shirobako dakimakuras.

Been reading up on the latest SAO for the past two hours and I haven't seen any fanservice......... anywhere.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/18/15

bobland wrote:

I swear I just read something here that said SAO was going overboard with their fanservice.

lolwut?
Sure their merchandise may be fanservicey, but what series' merchandise isn't? They even got Shirobako dakimakuras.

Been reading up on the latest SAO for the past two hours and I haven't seen any fanservice......... anywhere.


Haha, that was my initial reaction to this thread as well. I mean it's one thing to single out one of the hundreds of examples of ecchi harems out there, but SAO? Really?

Did A-1 pictures sex it up a bit more than necessary when you compare it to its source material? Yes, undoubtedly. There's those underwear scenes, and a weird close up of Sinon's butt for most of the second season. But it's still awfully tame compared to...oh...most anime.
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

Balzack wrote:


bobland wrote:

I swear I just read something here that said SAO was going overboard with their fanservice.

lolwut?
Sure their merchandise may be fanservicey, but what series' merchandise isn't? They even got Shirobako dakimakuras.

Been reading up on the latest SAO for the past two hours and I haven't seen any fanservice......... anywhere.


Haha, that was my initial reaction to this thread as well. I mean it's one thing to single out one of the hundreds of examples of ecchi harems out there, but SAO? Really?

Did A-1 pictures sex it up a bit more than necessary when you compare it to its source material? Yes, undoubtedly. There's those underwear scenes, and a weird close up of Sinon's butt for most of the second season. But it's still awfully tame compared to...oh...most anime.


In terms of Sinon LN ass-shots, we get this.

Mother's Rosario wasn't fanservice filled at all.
Alicization, for the most part, does not have this stuff as well. There are notable scenes in this arc that I will not discuss here.
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/18/15
Because anime is made by shut-ins and nerds for shut-ins and nerds.

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Hayao Miyazaki when he said this; nobody with a healthy sex life would write/draw these ridiculous stuffs.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
I don't like how women in anime get to beat up men for the slapstick.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/20/15

GamerWarrior wrote:

You are right about that Scooty-Bby. And I'm against the sexualization for both women and men. But this is business so having more fanservice (especially towards the male audience) brings more profit for the company. And although that makes sense in a business sense. Its wrong for viewers like us and they need to reconsider how we "feel" about these kinds of "sexualized" content!

1) Anime does not sexualize women or men, it sexualizes anime characters. "Sexualization" has also become a buzzword that gets thrown around a lot but is never explained. What exactly are we talking about here?

2) It is not necessarily a company that decides to include "fanservice." Most TV anime is based on manga and light novels, which are authored by one or two people. The fanservice is already there. If we only looked at original shows we'd probably find much less fanservice than what adaptations have.

3) Amateur manga artists, illustrators, game developers and animators in Japan create TONS of pornographic works, much more than what is professionally made. These fan and amauter-made works (whether or not they're pornographic) are called doujin works, and the manga is called doujinshi. Women make up a large portion of the creators and audience of doujinshi; the Comiket convention, the largest event there is for buying and selling doujinshi (and other doujin works), was majority female until recently. Much, but not all, of the doujinshi sold at Comiket and similar venues is pornographic. So "fanservice" isn't just something that companies are pushing for the benefit of male consumers. Doujin works also mean that an anime doesn't even need to have fanservice, because fans will just make up their own (and if they don't want any, it becomes optional, so everyone wins).

4) "Fanservice" doesn't sell as much as is commonly thought. Look at this list and arrange it by total: http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view You'll see that there is a severe shortage of fanservice-laden shows. Monogatari does have some heavy fanservice in it, but it occurs only in some story arcs (the latest season has almost none) and is not the reason why the series is so popular. If fanservice really was so popular, shows like Shinmai Maou no Testament, Queen's Blade, Seikon no Qwaser and ImoCho would sell the most.

5) Anime is made for the Japanese market, and the kind of late night anime we're talking about is made for a niche audience within Japan. They don't care if Westerners don't like "fanservice," nor should they. It's their anime, not ours.

6) The reason I keep putting quotation marks around "fanservice" is because it's not a good term. It implies content that was only included for the sake of titillating the audience and making them buy the show, and not because the creator(s) wanted to include it for its own sake. It also keeps conjuring up a strawman audience of exclusively male otaku who pour all their money into anything and everything if it just has some tits in it. A better term is ecchi, which doesn't imply anything about the creator(s') intentions or people's opinions of it. Ecchi might be a controversial, scandalous and relatively rare thing in the West that nobody will admit to liking, but it's not a big deal in Japan. It's made by amateurs and professionals alike because they enjoy it, not because they're trying to rope people into giving them money.


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Because anime is made by shut-ins and nerds for shut-ins and nerds.

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Hayao Miyazaki when he said this; nobody with a healthy sex life would write/draw these ridiculous stuffs.

Shut-ins who go to work every day and participate in highly collaborative creative work involving hundreds of people, hectic schedules and tight deadlines? Japanese shut-ins sure are operating on a different level. And what's wrong with being a nerd? I thought that was the new cool thing that everyone's into. Or are Japanese animators just the wrong kind of nerds, and not the good kind of nerds who are into video games and fantasy books and work in the IT industry? Twenty years ago those people were treated exactly the same way you're treating Japanese animators now.

A psychiatrist named Tamaki Saitou once studied otaku sexuality, and his conclusion was that they are sexually conservative "in real life." I think I'll take his word over Miyazaki's.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

drninja wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Because anime is made by shut-ins and nerds for shut-ins and nerds.

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Hayao Miyazaki when he said this; nobody with a healthy sex life would write/draw these ridiculous stuffs.

Shut-ins who go to work every day and participate in highly collaborative creative work involving hundreds of people, hectic schedules and tight deadlines? Japanese shut-ins sure are operating on a different level. And what's wrong with being a nerd? I thought that was the new cool thing that everyone's into. Or are Japanese animators just the wrong kind of nerds, and not the good kind of nerds who are into video games and fantasy books and work in the IT industry? Twenty years ago those people were treated exactly the same way you're treating Japanese animators now.

A psychiatrist named Tamaki Saitou once studied otaku sexuality, and his conclusion was that they are sexually conservative "in real life." I think I'll take his word over Miyazaki's.


The thing is they are appealing to shut ins. Also alot of animators probably dont have alot of time outside of what they do to have alot of healthy relationships.
Posted 12/18/15
REAL TALK : nothing in anime makes sense.
62788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/20/15

Sir_jamesalot wrote:
I don't like how women in anime get to beat up men for the slapstick.

Yes! Finally somebody else says it!
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/20/15

megahobbit wrote:
The thing is they are appealing to shut ins. Also alot of animators probably dont have alot of time outside of what they do to have alot of healthy relationships.

Comiket draws over half a million people twice a year. Are those shut-ins too? And how would you even know all otaku or most otaku are shut-ins? Because that's the stereotype, or what you want to believe?

Animators probably don't have a lot of time for dating, but neither do salarymen. They all work long hours.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

drninja wrote:


megahobbit wrote:
The thing is they are appealing to shut ins. Also alot of animators probably dont have alot of time outside of what they do to have alot of healthy relationships.

Comiket draws over half a million people twice a year. Are those shut-ins too? And how would you even know all otaku or most otaku are shut-ins? Because that's the stereotype, or what you want to believe?

Animators probably don't have a lot of time for dating, but neither do salarymen. They all work long hours.


Yeah its a common problem in Japan.

Secondly dude have you been to an anime convention im gonna say most of those people are shut-ins (by which I mean people who generally dont get alot of social interaction and not agoraphobics)
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

megahobbit wrote:
Secondly dude have you been to an anime convention im gonna say most of those people are shut-ins (by which I mean people who generally dont get alot of social interaction and not agoraphobics)

I wouldn't draw conclusions about Japanese otaku based on Western anime viewers. They're more different than they're alike.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.