First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Millennials like myself are screwed
RAD_ED 
17046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
I actuary had a job making ok money but it was crazy hours like 12 hours a day no breaks or lunch, i had to drive all over the state and kill bugs for rich people then I wouldn't even get home till 7 o 8 pm left me with no time to do anything,they promised benefits but never gave them just kept running me threw loops, I quit, best decision I could of ever made.
20663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15

tuton25 wrote:

The problem is the lack of a work mentality. That 4-year degree in English or Art doesn't mean much in most of the real world. I think a lot of the social problems today caused by this. Think about the traditional family, my dad used to tell me about how everyone got up before dawn, work all day, then go to bed tiered after dark. My grandma wasn't just sitting around sewing and cooking and being a good little house wife, they lived on a farm and while grandpa was out in the fields she was feeding 9 kids, canning vegetables, mending cloths, doing taxes, and just keeping everyone sane. I'm not saying a traditional family is superior to any other type of family, just food for thought.


Not everyone can live that kind of life and stay mentally stable though which is a problem.

I quit my part time job at a fast food place as there cleaner because those hours alone 6 hours a day did my mental health in and sent me back into depression and meltdowns in public (i'm Autistic so i can't control whether i have them or not or whatever happens when i do have one)
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Ryulightorb wrote:


tuton25 wrote:

The problem is the lack of a work mentality. That 4-year degree in English or Art doesn't mean much in most of the real world. I think a lot of the social problems today caused by this. Think about the traditional family, my dad used to tell me about how everyone got up before dawn, work all day, then go to bed tiered after dark. My grandma wasn't just sitting around sewing and cooking and being a good little house wife, they lived on a farm and while grandpa was out in the fields she was feeding 9 kids, canning vegetables, mending cloths, doing taxes, and just keeping everyone sane. I'm not saying a traditional family is superior to any other type of family, just food for thought.


Not everyone can live that kind of life and stay mentally stable though which is a problem.

I quit my part time job at a fast food place as there cleaner because those hours alone 6 hours a day did my mental health in and sent me back into depression and meltdowns in public (i'm Autistic so i can't control whether i have them or not or whatever happens when i do have one)


You should probably apply for disability so at least you can have some money coming in.
8792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Places
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Itsunder9000 wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


Shukuzen wrote:

Weren't you the one going on about how the pay-increase for certain low income workers was a bad thing? and yet you post something like this?




Get rekt m8+8 while i finger my prostate


Sauce Itsun. Now.


Also Fucking Rektangled....
8116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15
Well first off millennial is after 97, hence the term 'millennial' I was born in 89 which is the tail end of gen x and the beginning of gen y.

Anyway there's a lot of problems out there but if you work hard you should be fine. [I say 'should be' But I work 10 hours a day no breaks] I lived at home until I was 24 and then moved in with my boyfriend. I worked minimum wage jobs my whole life [even now I'm only 1.50$ more than minimum for my province] and I managed to save a few grand. It's not easy and you can't really live on minimum wage, but if you live at home, take full advantage. Learn how to make and stick to a budget, and include savings for future, and emergency in case you loose your job. When you do finally move out you should have a safety net of a few thousand dollars while you adjust.

Minimum wage is too low, but good luck trying to change anything. You could get higher minimum wage but everything else will go up. Enjoy going to a fast food restaurant and having a burger for 1$? Well, if the workers are demanding a raise, that eats into profits, so your 1$ burger is now 2$. That's how life works. You can get almost anything but someone, somewhere, will have to pay for it. Heck, I don't know if it's like this in the states but in Canada food costs have slowly gone up and my normal 60$ shopping is 80$ but my pay is still the same so I need to find money elsewhere, either by cutting out movie night, not going out to dinner, or finding a second job.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Steelmonk wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Ravenstein wrote:

Yeah, millennials are screwed.

Their incomes are held down by cheap foreign and immigrant labor, their positions are being supplanted by robots and automation which while in the past resulted in business expansion to compensate for the lost jobs the increased regulation and government sanctioned monopolistic banking system has reduced the attractiveness of expansion, and an overabundance of near useless liberal arts degrees instead of STEM and business fields or technical certifications are also holding them down.

This will become VERY BAD in a decade or two when the baby boomers are still around collecting social security and medicare but without a financially stable middle class generation to support them.


There was a huge push back in the day that the US did not need to do lowly jobs and that we were at the very least a country that didn't need an industrial base, but commercial and ideas. We've gone from being able to put a man on the moon and building the world's fastest jet with slide rulers and huge brass balls to being unable to process steel and cotton and can't even lift a man to orbit.


Dammit VZ, you're going to make me cry.

We need to super focus the nation on a big gamble. Maybe putting a Tritium mining facility on the moon. "Look everyone, it's going to take our nation 10 years to do this, but after we do, we'll have enough power for 100,000 years at 1000 times our current consumption!!" Let's get up there and take it, one gamble to hit the big brass ring. Lets get together and take over the solar system. Screw oil, there's lots of free stuff in space (probably a lot a vacuum sucking flaming death as well). Once we get into the asteroid belt who's gonna argue with us? Stop messing with us or we'll drop this rock on you. 'Nuff said.


I hope you are joking since fusion is still in the works and no where near ready for prime time power generation. You would spend better money on thorium reactors which is easily accessible in waste piles from mining operation all over the planet. Or even better year solar to salt storage for power generation you use heat from the sun to turn the salt molten which allows you to generate unlimited power 24/7. The later also allows you to use the heat to preform desalination in those areas that need drinking water like southern California and Texas.

As for the topic no the millineal's aren't screwed unless they buy the bullshit that voting doesn't matter and don't understand they are the generation that can change how this society works. But then most people don't understand how much more deadly the power of the vote is in this society. No really your vote counts at the local level the state level and the federal level the only one it doesn't count for is the president because of the electoral college but he doesn't have any real power since it is all held by congress when the system works right. Want to change it get more people to vote more folks voting less power those that want to take it from you have.

Not that I don't agree with you on taking over the solar system we really do need to get off the rock there are more resources out there that we could use now rather then later in helping develop our planet and protecting it. There is gold in them there asteroids. No really there is and more.
7974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Minne-snow-ta!
Offline
Posted 12/15/15 , edited 12/15/15
If you're making around minimum wage, I'd suggest living with your parents if possible. That'll allow you to save some money (even if it's $100 a month) until you have enough of a cushion in case something happens.

I was making around $30k right after college and staying with my parents and even that was barely enough because of all the loans I had to pay. For a while, I couldn't afford to do/get anything that wasn't essential. I was fortunate enough to land a nice job after a year, because if it weren't for that, I probably would've defaulted on my loans. Still staying with my parents now so that I can pay down my loans some more and have less to pay later on, but hopefully I won't stay with my parents past my late 20s and I'll have most if not all of my loans paid off. Loans are the worst, especially if it's well over $50k. The amount of interest added each month is just insane.
27591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
Yep, it seems like we are collapsing due to much naval gazing. We need a solid frontier to work our way towards, this planet has too many monkeys on it.
6088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

That's why everyone I know is either still at home or has at least one roommate.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Steelmonk wrote:

Yep, it seems like we are collapsing due to much naval gazing. We need a solid frontier to work our way towards, this planet has too many monkeys on it.


I would happily volunteer to colonize Mars. I want my family name to spread across the heavens.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Steelmonk wrote:

Yep, it seems like we are collapsing due to much naval gazing. We need a solid frontier to work our way towards, this planet has too many monkeys on it.




You should watch Idiocracy.

"Welcome to costco, I love you"
27591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

gvblackmoon wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Ravenstein wrote:

Yeah, millennials are screwed.

Their incomes are held down by cheap foreign and immigrant labor, their positions are being supplanted by robots and automation which while in the past resulted in business expansion to compensate for the lost jobs the increased regulation and government sanctioned monopolistic banking system has reduced the attractiveness of expansion, and an overabundance of near useless liberal arts degrees instead of STEM and business fields or technical certifications are also holding them down.

This will become VERY BAD in a decade or two when the baby boomers are still around collecting social security and medicare but without a financially stable middle class generation to support them.


There was a huge push back in the day that the US did not need to do lowly jobs and that we were at the very least a country that didn't need an industrial base, but commercial and ideas. We've gone from being able to put a man on the moon and building the world's fastest jet with slide rulers and huge brass balls to being unable to process steel and cotton and can't even lift a man to orbit.


Dammit VZ, you're going to make me cry.

We need to super focus the nation on a big gamble. Maybe putting a Tritium mining facility on the moon. "Look everyone, it's going to take our nation 10 years to do this, but after we do, we'll have enough power for 100,000 years at 1000 times our current consumption!!" Let's get up there and take it, one gamble to hit the big brass ring. Lets get together and take over the solar system. Screw oil, there's lots of free stuff in space (probably a lot a vacuum sucking flaming death as well). Once we get into the asteroid belt who's gonna argue with us? Stop messing with us or we'll drop this rock on you. 'Nuff said.


I hope you are joking since fusion is still in the works and no where near ready for prime time power generation. You would spend better money on thorium reactors which is easily accessible in waste piles from mining operation all over the planet. Or even better year solar to salt storage for power generation you use heat from the sun to turn the salt molten which allows you to generate unlimited power 24/7. The later also allows you to use the heat to preform desalination in those areas that need drinking water like southern California and Texas.

As for the topic no the millineal's aren't screwed unless they buy the bullshit that voting doesn't matter and don't understand they are the generation that can change how this society works. But then most people don't understand how much more deadly the power of the vote is in this society. No really your vote counts at the local level the state level and the federal level the only one it doesn't count for is the president because of the electoral college but he doesn't have any real power since it is all held by congress when the system works right. Want to change it get more people to vote more folks voting less power those that want to take it from you have.

Not that I don't agree with you on taking over the solar system we really do need to get off the rock there are more resources out there that we could use now rather then later in helping develop our planet and protecting it. There is gold in them there asteroids. No really there is and more.


Doh!! I meant helium 3 not Tritium.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/15/15
Talk about self fulfilling prophecy.. Get an education, send out your resume and call up places until you get a job. I graduated with a 5 year BA in architecture in 2013 and struggled to find steady work for a while. I was one of the better students in my class and could have gotten a reference from any teacher I've ever had. The credentials were their, but the only way I've ever gotten any of the jobs since graduation is by being persistent. My current job pays 32,000 a year, a typical low entry level pay scale. I like my job and the experience that comes with it though. The money will come eventually. I agree with whoever says to live with family instead of paying your entire rent alone. I know so many people who wanted there own place and either ended up back home and broke in less than a year or stuck working a job that they hate and no motivation. Nothing comes easy or free, but if you say "your screwed" than you definitely are.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

Steelmonk wrote:


gvblackmoon wrote:


Steelmonk wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Ravenstein wrote:

Yeah, millennials are screwed.

Their incomes are held down by cheap foreign and immigrant labor, their positions are being supplanted by robots and automation which while in the past resulted in business expansion to compensate for the lost jobs the increased regulation and government sanctioned monopolistic banking system has reduced the attractiveness of expansion, and an overabundance of near useless liberal arts degrees instead of STEM and business fields or technical certifications are also holding them down.

This will become VERY BAD in a decade or two when the baby boomers are still around collecting social security and medicare but without a financially stable middle class generation to support them.


There was a huge push back in the day that the US did not need to do lowly jobs and that we were at the very least a country that didn't need an industrial base, but commercial and ideas. We've gone from being able to put a man on the moon and building the world's fastest jet with slide rulers and huge brass balls to being unable to process steel and cotton and can't even lift a man to orbit.


Dammit VZ, you're going to make me cry.

We need to super focus the nation on a big gamble. Maybe putting a Tritium mining facility on the moon. "Look everyone, it's going to take our nation 10 years to do this, but after we do, we'll have enough power for 100,000 years at 1000 times our current consumption!!" Let's get up there and take it, one gamble to hit the big brass ring. Lets get together and take over the solar system. Screw oil, there's lots of free stuff in space (probably a lot a vacuum sucking flaming death as well). Once we get into the asteroid belt who's gonna argue with us? Stop messing with us or we'll drop this rock on you. 'Nuff said.


I hope you are joking since fusion is still in the works and no where near ready for prime time power generation. You would spend better money on thorium reactors which is easily accessible in waste piles from mining operation all over the planet. Or even better year solar to salt storage for power generation you use heat from the sun to turn the salt molten which allows you to generate unlimited power 24/7. The later also allows you to use the heat to preform desalination in those areas that need drinking water like southern California and Texas.

As for the topic no the millineal's aren't screwed unless they buy the bullshit that voting doesn't matter and don't understand they are the generation that can change how this society works. But then most people don't understand how much more deadly the power of the vote is in this society. No really your vote counts at the local level the state level and the federal level the only one it doesn't count for is the president because of the electoral college but he doesn't have any real power since it is all held by congress when the system works right. Want to change it get more people to vote more folks voting less power those that want to take it from you have.

Not that I don't agree with you on taking over the solar system we really do need to get off the rock there are more resources out there that we could use now rather then later in helping develop our planet and protecting it. There is gold in them there asteroids. No really there is and more.


Doh!! I meant helium 3 not Tritium.


Nope understood what you were after, the tech isn't there they just fired the European fusion reactor for helium plasma the other day made the news cycles that I pay attention to. So this tech is another fifty to a hundred years before we get it working safely where are both solar heat capture and thorium which is cleaner then uranium and can only be used to make a dirty bomb yes I take that into account is easily scaled up using the same tech we have right now for subs and aircraft carries. Self contained system that allow for easy disposal and quick setup.

Helium plasma isn't it hot. http://www.gizmag.com/wendelsteinflash-helium-plasma/40883/
Solar thermal capture power plant http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/13/biggest-ever-solar-thermal-power-plant-goes-online-in-california/
Thorium reactors http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Current-and-Future-Generation/Thorium/ this stuff is everywhere you can't escape it nearly every waste pile from every mine on the planet has some in it.

Again as for the original topic the it is a matter of the generation stepping up and taking power from the baby boomer's gen x would be happy to help since the boomer's are the ones that have gotten us into this fine mess to begin with. Power is there for the taking you just need to get folks to vote the same way you do. No really the vote is more dangerous to those in power then anything you have.

By 2065 this country will be majority minorities which means guys like me will be in the minority so this is the reason I keep harping on the power of the vote there are reasons the right wants to take it away from minorities. Yup comes down to those that want to keep power do what ever they can to attempt to keep it.
8025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Naked in a pine tree
Offline
Posted 12/15/15

biscuitnote wrote:

I happened across this today. It looks like millennials have it worse than I thought. You can't live on 19K a year, which is what the average millennial in my state earns according to this source.

No wonder they all want to stay in their parents basement and hope for a communist revolt.

http://www.attn.com/stories/4570/millennial-income-in-america


Yep, you're screwed. You can thank your baby boomer parents.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.