First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Associating specific characters with voice actors?
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
So I was thinking about this and wondered if anyone else was the same... does anyone have certain voice actors that they just associate with one specific character they've played, to the point that you instantly think of that character whenever you hear their VA in an anime?

For example, no matter what I am watching, what mood or genre etc., whenever I hear the very distinguishable voice of Kamiya Hiroshi, I instantly just think of Araragi from the Monogatari series, despite the fact that I had already seen many anime with him in before ever seeing Monogatari. Perhaps the only two exceptions to this (i.e. of characters he plays who don't make me think of Araragi) are Yato from Noragami and Shinji from Fate.

Another example is Sakurai Takahiro, who always makes me think of Miyuki from Ace of the Diamond, again despite having seen many anime with him in before ever having seen AotD. The only exception to this for me is Misaki from Junjou Romantica (lol).

Anyone have anything like this, or just me?
13844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere?
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/19/15
For me, it's Akira Ishida. I had seen some anime with him before I watched Gintama. But now when I hear his voice, I think of Katsura from Gintama.
29478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/19/15

TheDustyForest wrote:

So I was thinking about this and wondered if anyone else was the same... does anyone have certain voice actors that they just associate with one specific character they've played, to the point that you instantly think of that character whenever you hear their VA in an anime?

For example, no matter what I am watching, what mood or genre etc., whenever I hear the very distinguishable voice of Kamiya Hiroshi, I instantly just think of Araragi from the Monogatari series, despite the fact that I had already seen many anime with him in before ever seeing Monogatari. Perhaps the only two exceptions to this (i.e. of characters he plays who don't make me think of Araragi) are Yato from Noragami and Shinji from Fate.

Another example is Sakurai Takahiro, who always makes me think of Miyuki from Ace of the Diamond, again despite having seen many anime with him in before ever having seen AotD. The only exception to this for me is Misaki from Junjou Romantica (lol).

Anyone have anything like this, or just me?



Somothing cool, did you know Takahiro Sakurai also voices Meme Oshino from Monogatari series?
51275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/18/15 , edited 12/19/15
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu will always be Kirito.
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/15 , edited 12/19/15

skydive47 wrote:

Somothing cool, did you know Takahiro Sakurai also voices Meme Oshino from Monogatari series?


Yes, I did, but Meme is one example of a character I encountered before watching Ace of the Diamond, never really thinking much about his voice, but after having seen it, watching more of Monogatari (or rewatching; basically seeing any scenes with Meme in) I instantly think of Miyuki from AotD haha


PhantomGundam wrote:

Matsuoka Yoshitsugu will always be Kirito.


Ah, I can understand that one, but for me it never really happens because it's been so long since I watched SAO I can't really remember what Kirito's voice actor sounds like, so everytime I hear a character whom I think is played by the same voice actor I wonder whether it actually is Matsuoka Yoshitsugu or if I'm just imagining it
1767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/19/15
Until I watched Noragami, I associated Kamiya Hiroshi's voice with Beelzebub from Yondemasuyo Azazel-san. Even when I stumbled upon a vid featuring Kamiya Hiroshi himself, for a second I would think, why is Beelzebub's voice coming out of this guy's mouth? lol

There are probably others but I can't remember atm.
145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/15 , edited 12/21/15
It happened to me when I was watching One Punch Man. The Beetle character at the House Of Evolution. All I heard from that guy was Joseph Joestar. I checked out who the voice actor was, and it was indeed Unshou Ishizuka, voice of old Joseph. Yeah, this guy will always be Joseph Joestar to me.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 12/19/15 , edited 12/21/15
Matsuoka always voices either perverts or shonen heroes.

Daisuke Ono always seems to voice characters that are cooks/helpers(Sebastian/Kuroh/Working)

Rie Kugiyama always voices tsunderes.

Kamiya either voices the straight men or pervs.

35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/19/15
Wendee Lee and Haruhi Suzumiya, Monica Rial and Steel Angel Saki, and Tiffany Grant and Asuka L. Sohryu.
Le_Dom 
16895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 12/19/15 , edited 12/21/15
Seiyuus

Hiroshi Kamiya - Araragi from Bakemonogatari
Tomazaku Sugita - Gintoki from Gintama
Kazuya Nakai - Roronoa Zoro from One Piece

Voice Actors

Wendee Lee - Haruhi Suzumiya
Steve Blum - Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop
Travis Willingham - Roy Mustang from FMA

Then if I hear a character voiced by Yuri Lowenthal and said characters starts whining, chances are I'll find myself thinking ''Shut up Yosuke''
101431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / You, Knighted States
Offline
Posted 12/19/15
Typically this doesn't happen for me for more popular actors because I see them in so many different things but no matter what I'm watching him in Tomakazu Sugita makes me think of Gintoki.
2468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/15
Rie Kugimiya - Kagura from Gintama has that one of kind kiddish voice that feels like it can't belong anywhere else. I couldn't stop thinking about it when I finished watching Toradora recently.
208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/19/15
For me it happens a lot more with dubs. I think one specific example would be Ed from Fulllmetal with Vic. Another would be Greg Aryes with Kaoru
56932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 12/19/15

saprobe wrote:
Tomakazu Sugita makes me think of Gintoki.


I have the same issue, and it makes his roles in Corpse Party and Norn 9 turn very eerie when he drops the happy-go-lucky Gintoki voice and shows the rest of his range.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/19/15

saprobe wrote:

Typically this doesn't happen for me for more popular actors because I see them in so many different things but no matter what I'm watching him in Tomakazu Sugita makes me think of Gintoki.


Same.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.