Created by qualeshia3
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply To write a military science fiction novel, should I
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not
Thanks a bunches.


Explain your opinion in great detail.
Enjoy!!!
Posted 12/18/15
Write a novel in a genre you know you can write
Posted 12/18/15
Read a bunch of books.

You need examples.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

FreshRhymesSuperflyMoney wrote:

Read a bunch of books.

You need examples.


Okay then. Got any books you know in the genre?
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

stars201 wrote:

Write a novel in a genre you know you can write


But I love the genre and want to try writing in it.
Posted 12/18/15
Do lots of research. Go on the military website and read the information, interview/talk to ex-military persons.

Don't copy it from other shows/books, especially not from anime, they're most likely to be inaccurate information.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 12/18/15
Play Halo and Call of Duties (without paying any dues or experiencing the real stuff. You should. But. meh. We're a microwave society. Do whatever you feel your entitled with. =P )
Posted 12/18/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


FreshRhymesSuperflyMoney wrote:

Read a bunch of books.

You need examples.


Okay then. Got any books you know in the genre?


The War of the Worlds and Starship Troopers are two books from that genre.

Games such as Halo, Warhammer 40k, Gears of War, Starcraft, Mass Effect and Battle Tech are shining examples of military sci-fi.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Do lots of research. Go on the military website and read the information, interview/talk to ex-military persons.

Don't copy it from other shows/books, especially not from anime, they're most likely to be inaccurate information.


Thanks.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

Do a lot of research


Nothing annoys me more than an author that makes simple fucking mistakes that just rips me completely out of a story, and it could be a story that is full of strangeness, but you mess up on something and *poof* I'm out and I get pissed off.

It's like TV shows do it was well. Even shows like CSI, which might get some of the police work down, but then completely fuck up the amount of time it takes to drive around Nevada, or the case in which CSI (out of Vegas) was in California doing work on a case that didn't even have a crime committed in Nevada. (Mt Pass and Barstow are in California)

42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15




Thank you so much. Isn't Warhammer 40k also a novel too?
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

VZ68 wrote:


Do a lot of research


Nothing annoys me more than an author that makes simple fucking mistakes that just rips me completely out of a story, and it could be a story that is full of strangeness, but you mess up on something and *poof* I'm out and I get pissed off.

It's like TV shows do it was well. Even shows like CSI, which might get some of the police work down, but then completely fuck up the amount of time it takes to drive around Nevada, or the case in which CSI (out of Vegas) was in California doing work on a case that didn't even have a crime committed in Nevada. (Mt Pass and Barstow are in California)



Is doing research a bad thing?
Posted 12/18/15

qualeshia3 wrote:





Thank you so much. Isn't Warhammer 40k also a novel too?


There are a lot of Warhammer books. Getcho nerd on.
14747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Do lots of research. Go on the military website and read the information, interview/talk to ex-military persons.

Don't copy it from other shows/books, especially not from anime, they're most likely to be inaccurate information.


Yeah, the reason someone would ask would either be Robert Heinlein or Halo...
And Heinlein had his own reasons for writing them that went well beyond genre (and possibly sanity), and into his own political views on whether citizens "deserved" to be citizens if they didn't have military experience.

This is the OP's second (at least that I've read) writing question of the day, and we can save a lot more by saying that to write a book, you have to be crazy enough to do it. That's a big hurdle for a lot of folks.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/18/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


Do a lot of research


Nothing annoys me more than an author that makes simple fucking mistakes that just rips me completely out of a story, and it could be a story that is full of strangeness, but you mess up on something and *poof* I'm out and I get pissed off.

It's like TV shows do it was well. Even shows like CSI, which might get some of the police work down, but then completely fuck up the amount of time it takes to drive around Nevada, or the case in which CSI (out of Vegas) was in California doing work on a case that didn't even have a crime committed in Nevada. (Mt Pass and Barstow are in California)



Is doing research a bad thing?


No, do a lot of it. If you have questions about stuff, ask. I mean there are so many strange fuck-ups in some stories that get published it's like nobody cross checks anything.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.