First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll App on Android Now Updated
19013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
67 / M / Haskell NJ USA
Offline
Posted 12/24/15

virduk wrote:
AndroidTV support would be nice.


It works on my Nvidia Shield Pro but it has a strange behaviour where it starts off in smartphone portrait mode which only utilizes 1/3 of the available screen space leaving the remaining 2/3 empty. Thankfully when the video starts playing it reverts to full screen landscape mode.
I sent the issue to support and they asked for a screen shot so hopefully the .1 release will correct this glitch.
An9el 
28906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 12/24/15
well i just screwed myself updated the app now cant watch anything now pft
62024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
70 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 12/24/15
Like several others, my tablet is a Nook HD running Android 4.1. The app won't run under 4.1 and Barnes and Nobel isn't going to be updating this device. I sent a note to support asking to get the older 1.8 version of the app and never received a reply. I also do app development and am surprised that this app won't compile using the Android legacy support libraries so it could continue to run under 4.1 Android. I was content with the older app and would like to get at least that older version back

For most of us rooting the device and installing Cyanogenmod isn't really an option. And I'm not sure we can use google apps after installing Cyanogenmod.

It would have been nice --- polite even -- to make the upgrade optional for those of us for whom upgrading the OS is not an option.

The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/24/15

sjs_bebop wrote:

For most of us rooting the device and installing Cyanogenmod isn't really an option. And I'm not sure we can use google apps after installing Cyanogenmod.

I had an older Nook that I used CyanogenMod on, and had no problem using Google Apps with it:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

CR doesn't seem to like people posting download links to APK's for older versions (for fear of malware, although it would be nice if they offered it themselves), but one older version they can't complain about is the one offered by Amazon's App Store. Unfortunately, that one is really old (version 0.9.7).


Interestingly, when I search for the app on Google Play, it displays is "This app is compatible with all of your devices.", and under "Current Version", "Varies with device". (I have both a Nook HD+ and an older phone that is running Android 4.0).

Der Zoodirektor
23407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/24/15 , edited 12/24/15

TheAncientOne wrote:


sjs_bebop wrote:

For most of us rooting the device and installing Cyanogenmod isn't really an option. And I'm not sure we can use google apps after installing Cyanogenmod.

I had an older Nook that I used CyanogenMod on, and had no problem using Google Apps with it:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

CR doesn't seem to like people posting download links to APK's for older versions (for fear of malware, although it would be nice if they offered it themselves), but one older version they can't complain about is the one offered by Amazon's App Store. Unfortunately, that one is really old (version 0.9.7).


Interestingly, when I search for the app on Google Play, it displays is "This app is compatible with all of your devices.", and under "Current Version", "Varies with device". (I have both a Nook HD+ and an older phone that is running Android 4.0).



The anime browser works on any device with at least 4.0. However, the video player framework used does not support any version below 4.1 (API Level 16). That's why video playback requires at least 4.1 to be installed.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/26/15 , edited 12/26/15

shinryou wrote:

The anime browser works on any device with at least 4.0. However, the video player framework used does not support any version below 4.1 (API Level 16). That's why video playback requires at least 4.1 to be installed.

I recall you mentioning that before. While that would explain the "This app is compatible with all of your devices." (as the Nook HD+ also appears to be based on Android 4.0), it doesn't address "Current Version" showing "Varies with device". That normally appears only if Google Play is serving up an older version for devices with an older version of Android. If only one version is being offered, Google Play should literally list the app version number under "Current Version".

Is is possible that Google Play still has an even older version of the CR app available (that works on pre-4.0 devices), but doesn't offer that on 4.0 devices, because they are flagged as compatible (despite not fully being so)?

Der Zoodirektor
23407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/26/15
I'm not familiar with the version restrictions and how they are set on the Play Store. But I think the main indicator is "will this launch", rather than "will the entire app work". The app does launch on 4.0 in its current iteration, but the video part of it won't work - that's also why the app has easily visible internal messaging that it won't play video on pre-4.1. The affected the devices are very much on the fringe anyway, usually around 3 to 4 years old, which is sort of beyond the usual life expectancy of a tablet (or phone).
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/26/15

shinryou wrote:

I'm not familiar with the version restrictions and how they are set on the Play Store. But I think the main indicator is "will this launch", rather than "will the entire app work". The app does launch on 4.0 in its current iteration, but the video part of it won't work - that's also why the app has easily visible internal messaging that it won't play video on pre-4.1. The affected the devices are very much on the fringe anyway, usually around 3 to 4 years old, which is sort of beyond the usual life expectancy of a tablet (or phone).

That still doesn't address what I was really asking. I understand why the app is being listed as compatible with Android 4.0, despite not being fully functional under it. I also don't have a problem with CR not providing a fully functional app for a platform that according to Android.com is less than 3% of all Android devices (although adding something like "No video playback under Android 4.0" to the description might be advisable).

The "Current Version" in Google Play refers to the app version, not the version of Android. If there were only one version available on Google Play, it shouldn't list "varies with device" (which strongly implies Google Play has more than one version) rather than the actual version number.

As an example, if I browse to the Funimation and Hulu Plus apps, they list a specfic version number, while the Netflix app lists the same "varies with device" that CR does.

If Google actually has an older version (and the app version number implies they do), there should be a way for CR to indicate to Google to use the older version for 4.0 devices.

Frankly, I wish I had access to an Android 3.x device (since that certainly wouldn't be flagged as compatible with the current app) to see what I would get if I browsed to Google Play and tried to download the app.
Der Zoodirektor
23407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 12/27/15 , edited 12/27/15
2.0.2 should be delivered to everyone right now. We usually launch new major versions slowly, so at times some may not see the latest version early on. E.g. when we first launched 2.0, some still saw 1.1.9 as the latest. However the restriction of 4.1 was *much* earlier than the 2.x app version.
As you have pointed out *very* few people still have such old devices, and even fewer update their apps on it frequently. I can still count the affected user who have reached out to us through all of the channels with my 2 hands at this point. Half a of them were Nook HD/HD+ users. One guy on a first gen Galaxy 10.1 tab, 1 HTC Explorer, 1 obscure Kyocera phone, 1 Sony Tablet S, and 1 Sony Tipo.
Especially the phones on that list were very low end, with very small screen resolution hardly usable for watching video.
Dronak 
38997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/15 , edited 12/27/15

tamodolo wrote:
what is bad:

- Queue list get the order reverted (the first in the list is showed as the last).


Agreed. I was surprised when my queue showed up in reverse order. Considering that the app hasn't worked like this before, I'm pretty sure this is the result of a bug that they didn't catch rather than an intended change. I expect that they'll get the queue ordered normally with a future update, and hopefully quickly.

Other than that, the app seems fine to me, but I don't use it a lot.
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 6/20/16
Where to download latest crunchyroll version?
23213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Oregon coast
Offline
Posted 6/20/16
Google's play store has the latest version.
20896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 6/21/16 , edited 6/21/16
After 4 and half years the Crynchyroll app on Windows Phone got updated , now for frist time in the platform since it release it have , my crunchyroll Plex channel can now rest finally. Just wait for the the proper announcement.
71 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
117 / F
Offline
Posted 7/11/16
ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME?
I cleaned the data and reinstalled tue android app, just like they say in the FAQ. Before I logged in in the app, I thought I try to watch something without logging in, maybe it works now.
Well, it doesn't work, but THE ADS ARE LOADING PERFECTLY OF COURSE! This is the most shammeless sh*t I have wver seen!
77 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 7/14/16
I think it looks so much better now
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.