First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Mall of America Asks Judge to Bar Black Lives Matter Protest
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
Black lives matter protests savages getting shot but they remained awfully quiet when innocents and young children are getting slaughtered by these same savages in inner cities(Tyshawn Lee for example). I guess criminal lives matter more than kids right? Fuck BLM and anyone who supports that sham because they clearly dont give a damn about black lives.
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/22/15

dragontackle wrote:

Black lives matter protests savages getting shot but they remained awfully quiet when innocents and young children are getting slaughtered by these same savages in inner cities(Tyshawn Lee for example). I guess criminal lives matter more than kids right? Fuck BLM and anyone who supports that sham because they clearly dont give a damn about black lives.

Didn't you just post a few minutes ago in another thread about how much you hate white people?
35033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/22/15 , edited 12/22/15
Well, that's part of what makes civil disobedience risky, isn't it? Mall of America does have the right to demand that any protesters leave since it's private property, and protesters who refuse to leave if no restraining order is issued or who show up if an order is issued will have to face legal consequences. Of course, in some forms of protest suffering legal consequences for acts of civil disobedience is precisely the point and serves to empower one's movement by highlighting their cause for otherwise disinterested parties.

Whether that's the result of shutting down any protest that ends up happening at Mall of America or not remains to be seen, but it seems likely that protest would be shut down whether the restraining order is issued or not.
25095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Around
Offline
Posted 12/22/15

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


SockmyRock wrote:



Why can't we just all love each other



I believe that is called an orgy.


Then orgies for everyone if it means we can get along!!!!!

35760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Online
Posted 12/22/15

megahobbit wrote:

Dick move on mall of Americas part.

So we can plan a party at your house and tell everyone about it despite you not wanting the party because your grandparents are visiting?
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
I would say that i'm not the protesting type. I get discriminated against all the time,but I shrug it off and know its all bull. I've been pulled over in a cab and harassed by a cop before, followed to the door of an interview by a cop(the suit got his attention when I got out my car and he left), and weapon searched plenty of times. People seem to think that everyone exaggerates discrimination or bring it upon themselves, simply false. I disagree in many ways with groups like this, it became far to big and trendy. When that happens, you get the most thoughtful and devoted, but also the most confrontational and paranoid.

I think things like interrupting Bernie Sanders, an advocate against discrimination was an example of some in the movement going to far. Yes, this movement isn't perfect, but far too many posters and general public think everyone is feigning discrimination. Ask any minority you know and they'll most likely tell you a different story. Again, not much of a protester myself, but its a bit condescending for people who have never faced racial discrimination in there lives to call them derogatory names.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
And to think this is happening and they aren't even trying to figure out the $75,000 to $130,000 that has gone missing in the Black Lives Matter org.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/15 , edited 12/22/15
The irony here is that, because the mall is expecting a protest, every black person that enters the mall will be looked on with suspicion, fueling even more racism.

My problem with calling something a 'movement' or getting involved in a 'movement' is that it takes attention away from the ideas and brings attention to the fact that, simply, a lot of people are doing something. It makes it seem kind of like a fashion statement, like--"A lot of people are involved in this, so it's important.' To give an unrelated example, when people talk about atheism, they're talking about a stance on certain beliefs. When people talk about 'the atheism movement,' however, they're talking about something a lot of people are doing. The ideas expressed become less important than the fact that there's a lot of people involved. This is why, as an atheist, I'm a little bitter about people claiming they are a part of an 'atheist movement.' To me it's irrelevant, and distracts from the core message.

It's also why, looking at the topic at hand, I think Black Lives Matter has an incredibly reasonable set of ideas at it's core. They raise issues that need to be raised. Often, joining a movement can give one a sense of meaning, a feeling that one is doing something important. However, when 'the movement' becomes more important than the ideas behind it, then one feels a need to keep the movement going, ignoring whether it's actions are still supported by the same ideas. One feels 'something must be done,' it doesn't matter what. After all, if Black Lives Matter ceases to do something, doesn't that mean they're admitting that Black Lives don't Matter? Obviously that's ridiculous, but I think something of this nature often happens inside social movements, where keeping the movement going becomes more important than it's message.

I think that something similar is happening in Black Lives Matter right now, but at the same time, it's not like they have no reason for the protest. They have very good reasons to be upset, but I think they may be starting to lose sight of the roots of the movement. This quote in particular worries me:

"Us not showing up and us not speaking would be the mall winning."

It's not about winning. When you start to think about things in terms of wins and losses for the movement, you start to look away from the ideas you're trying to communicate. This protest may or may not be a good way to communicate their frustration, but it seems as though, regardless, they're more worried about their pride. Which sucks because they actually do have a legitimate message.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 12/22/15 , edited 12/22/15

cyberfaust wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

Black lives matter protests savages getting shot but they remained awfully quiet when innocents and young children are getting slaughtered by these same savages in inner cities(Tyshawn Lee for example). I guess criminal lives matter more than kids right? Fuck BLM and anyone who supports that sham because they clearly dont give a damn about black lives.

Didn't you just post a few minutes ago in another thread about how much you hate white people?


I just acknowledged history. Nothing more nothing less. Im not going to whitewash the facts of history to protect someones feelings. But overall I dont hate white people at all, just white liberals who enable certain behaviors in the black community that I wont discuss on CR because this really isnt the place to have this type of discussion.
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
O_o... there are black people in Minneapolis?

Anyway, yeah you know disrupting a business is not cool. This is one of the main reasons no one gave a crap about the occupy movement. They shut down the businesses of the very people they were trying to protect.

Howerver, as the mall is private property and they are allowed to make such requests. We all know this group knows exactly what they are protesting. Sadly, they are not smart enough to know they are going to piss more people than they are going to make aware of their movement. They are just giving the right more ammo to use against them.
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
Good, black people are more racist than white people anyway. You dont see a 'white lives matter' protest.
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/23/15
This group of people has pretty much lost the support of the public.

Pulling shit like this isn't going to anything but to make the crazies more crazy.
9769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/23/15
I don't blame the folks in charge of the mall. People forget that the universe doesn't revolve around them.
11772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Online
Posted 12/23/15
"Jordan Kushner, an attorney for several Black Lives Matter organizers named in the mall's lawsuit, called the mall's demands unconstitutional."


Uh, last I checked it's perfectly constitutional to tell people "get the fuck off my lawn!" They are telling you that you can't say what you want to say, they are simply telling you to say it elsewhere.

I hope the judge sides with the mall. Disrupting business and ruining peoples enjoyable holiday shopping is not going to help your position.

"Miski Noor, one of the organizers, said after a hearing Monday about the mall's request for a temporary restraining order that the protest would take place Wednesday, no matter what."

^ Sounds like an easy way to get arrested and thrown in jail, which again, doesn't help your position since you're breaking the law.

This just reeks of the same stupidity that's been on the news for far too long.
20765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 12/23/15


What about ISIS members they are human and they don't matter.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.