Post Reply Workplace Drama?
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/15 , edited 12/25/15
Share your horror stories!

Most recent one of my own.......



This is my second worst horror story.

Bring some of your own!
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/25/15
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/15


That's a different type of drama. Your combat pay doesn't cover all your expenses despite not being taxable, you come home to a country that doesn't support your future, and you might be maimed.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/25/15

Morbidhanson wrote:


That's a different type of drama. Your combat pay doesn't cover all your expenses despite not being taxable, you come home to a country that doesn't support your future, and you might be maimed.


How so, my rent, food, and bills were being taken care of by the Army. I left full time service with 109 k in my bank account. Upon transferring to reserves I took up a civilian job.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/15 , edited 12/25/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


That's a different type of drama. Your combat pay doesn't cover all your expenses despite not being taxable, you come home to a country that doesn't support your future, and you might be maimed.


How so, my rent, food, and bills were being taken care of by the Army. I left full time service with 109 k in my bank account. Upon transferring to reserves I took up a civilian job.


I've got other horror stories. One guy who used to be my friend went crazy for a while after his mom died. He served in the military and was on active duty for at least three years. He doesn't have anything. He wouldn't even have a roof over his head if my aunt didn't help him out. He was a straight A student through all his years of school and told me about how awful everything was after he got out of therapy.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/25/15

Morbidhanson wrote:



I've got other horror stories. One guy who used to be my friend went crazy for a while after his mom died. He served in the military and was on active duty for at least three years. He doesn't have anything. He wouldn't even have a roof over his head if my aunt didn't help him out. He was a straight A student through all his years of school and told me about how awful everything was after he got out of therapy.


I served full time for five and half years, got two tours of combat under my belt. And I think it was the best time of my life..Sounds like your friend was not cut out to be a solider if he couldn't handle his pay better. I mean I got paid the same as the next soldier and I have currently 356,000 in my bank account right now.

I have no sympathy for anyone who wastes their cash then expects someone else to bail them out.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/15 , edited 12/25/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:



I've got other horror stories. One guy who used to be my friend went crazy for a while after his mom died. He served in the military and was on active duty for at least three years. He doesn't have anything. He wouldn't even have a roof over his head if my aunt didn't help him out. He was a straight A student through all his years of school and told me about how awful everything was after he got out of therapy.


I served full time for five and half years, got two tours of combat under my belt. And I think it was the best time of my life..Sounds like your friend was not cut out to be a solider if he couldn't handle his pay better. I mean I got paid the same as the next soldier and I have currently 356,000 in my bank account right now.

I have no sympathy for anyone who wastes their cash then expects someone else to bail them out.


He didn't waste any cash. He had to spend all the money on the meds that they demanded he take. And those crazy medical costs that didn't end up helping him with anything. Even a sane person would go crazy under such conditions.

We acted out of goodwill rather than expectation. His mother was a family friend and he was a childhood friend of mine. Careful how you phrase things.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/25/15

Morbidhanson wrote:


He didn't waste any cash. He had to spend all the money on the meds that they demanded he take. And those crazy medical costs that didn't end up helping him with anything. Even a sane person would go crazy under such conditions.

We acted out of goodwill rather than expectation. His mother was a family friend and he was a childhood friend of mine. Careful how you phrase things.


Well I don't know what sort of flag your friend served under but such things wouldn't have happened under a NATO or UN member nation. Required medication is covered along with any mandated therapy. The few exceptions I can think of included glaringly The United States but as a few of the American soldiers I know on a personal basis say the VA is more then willing to help defer all the cost it can.

Not to mention if they wouldn't and following a mandated treatment plan would cost him personally that much he could appeal the decision. Even going as far as a trail by court martial if he believed that strongly about it .

Point is there is always plenty of loopholes and procedural stuff he could have gone through to lower or outright rid himself of any financial burdens. The fact your friend didn't kinda speaks volumes you know.
24265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/15
Don't have any thankfully. As long as that check clears I'm good.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/26/15 , edited 12/26/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


He didn't waste any cash. He had to spend all the money on the meds that they demanded he take. And those crazy medical costs that didn't end up helping him with anything. Even a sane person would go crazy under such conditions.

We acted out of goodwill rather than expectation. His mother was a family friend and he was a childhood friend of mine. Careful how you phrase things.


Well I don't know what sort of flag your friend served under but such things wouldn't have happened under a NATO or UN member nation. Required medication is covered along with any mandated therapy. The few exceptions I can think of included glaringly The United States but as a few of the American soldiers I know on a personal basis say the VA is more then willing to help defer all the cost it can.

Not to mention if they wouldn't and following a mandated treatment plan would cost him personally that much he could appeal the decision. Even going as far as a trail by court martial if he believed that strongly about it .

Point is there is always plenty of loopholes and procedural stuff he could have gone through to lower or outright rid himself of any financial burdens. The fact your friend didn't kinda speaks volumes you know.


Volumes about what? That he was literally crazy for a while and had to be in an asylum and got shafted despite being a serviceman? Being crazy would be a new experience for most of us, I'd imagine. I think he was in no position to look up rules and regulations and "loopholes" so by the time we found out what happened, all we could do was help him back onto his feet.

This guy didn't have many friends and really cared about his mom. The husband took the house and kicked him out, he couldn't attend the funeral because the husband hid the body somewhere, and he was never brought to justice even though he did have claims filed against him. Friend went crazy shortly after that and vanished. By the time we found out where he ended up, a few years already passed. He's still not quite the same. He used to be an intelligent and hardworking guy. Now, he behaves more like someone perpetually high on pot even though he doesn't smoke or drink.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/26/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


That's a different type of drama. Your combat pay doesn't cover all your expenses despite not being taxable, you come home to a country that doesn't support your future, and you might be maimed.


How so, my rent, food, and bills were being taken care of by the Army. I left full time service with 109 k in my bank account. Upon transferring to reserves I took up a civilian job.


Yeah.... most civilians these days: You aren't doing enough for vets these days! Why are they going to war!?!?! We demand better treatment!!!

Vets: Yeah, my medical bills are paid for life, plus I'm compensated every month for permanent injuries sustained during service, plus gas money to doctor visits when they are too far away, plus my GI Bill that pays for not only my tuition but actually pays me to attend school, and then I have vocation benefits after that, plus I am bumped up on the applicant list for certain jobs (USPS, for example), I get my meds cheap IF I even have to pay for them, and people pat me on the back and thank me for my service.... I'm ok, really I am.

Also - I'm a vet.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 12/26/15
At my work we don't really have any, but my friend who worked at Safeway told me about one at his work.

I don't know all the details, but I think this 19 year old guy basically hooked up with his co worker who was already married with children. I'm not sure what happened or how it was discovered again, but the husband found out and divorced her, took custody of the kids, kicked her out, and refuses to give her a single cent of his earnings. At one point she was homeless and living on a bench at a park until her friend or something gave her a place to stay. My friend said she just disappeared and last he heard was that she's unemployed and both of her kids and husband cut all contact with her. I don't know who the kid that got with her is, but I heard he doesn't care about what happened at all.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/26/15 , edited 12/26/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


That's a different type of drama. Your combat pay doesn't cover all your expenses despite not being taxable, you come home to a country that doesn't support your future, and you might be maimed.


How so, my rent, food, and bills were being taken care of by the Army. I left full time service with 109 k in my bank account. Upon transferring to reserves I took up a civilian job.


Yeah.... most civilians these days: You aren't doing enough for vets these days! Why are they going to war!?!?! We demand better treatment!!!

Vets: Yeah, my medical bills are paid for life, plus I'm compensated every month for permanent injuries sustained during service, plus gas money to doctor visits when they are too far away, plus my GI Bill that pays for not only my tuition but actually pays me to attend school, and then I have vocation benefits after that, plus I am bumped up on the applicant list for certain jobs (USPS, for example), I get my meds cheap IF I even have to pay for them, and people pat me on the back and thank me for my service.... I'm ok, really I am.

Also - I'm a vet.


Maybe I just know the wrong people. My friend's case was probably the worst, although I do have maimed acquaintances who, for some reason, barely seem to receive enough to get by. There's a guy who is missing his left arm and his left leg is partially paralyzed. Knew him in high school and he'd been in the military ever since we graduated in 2007. No clue when he sustained the injuries, but it was probably no more than three years ago.

Both served in the US. I don't personally know any happy vets. Maybe it's the transition from service to civilian life.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/26/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Maybe I just know the wrong people. My friend's case was probably the worst, although I do have mained acquaintances who, for some reason, barely seem to receive enough to get by. There's a guy who is missing his left arm and his left leg is partially paralyzed. Knew him in high school and he'd been in the military ever since we graduated in 2007. No clue when he sustained the injuries, but it was probably no more than three years ago.

Both served in the US. I don't personally know any happy vets.


I get that side of it, too. They just haven't fought hard enough. I still have nerve damage that prevents me from using hammers, a weedeater, post drives...or basically anything that sends vibrations up my right arm...really limits my hiring value.... and I'm not getting paid for it. I'm still fighting to get compensated for it. BUT, I am fighting, and after I get through with it, I will be paid.

And I'M not happy either.... but that doesn't mean I need to get more from the VA, because they already offer a shit-ton of benefits. Hell, just the ability to attend college without going into debt is HUGE help, in this day and age.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/26/15

Morbidhanson wrote:



Maybe I just know the wrong people. My friend's case was probably the worst, although I do have maimed acquaintances who, for some reason, barely seem to receive enough to get by. There's a guy who is missing his left arm and his left leg is partially paralyzed. Knew him in high school and he'd been in the military ever since we graduated in 2007. No clue when he sustained the injuries, but it was probably no more than three years ago.

Both served in the US. I don't personally know any happy vets. Maybe it's the transition from service to civilian life.


Some people just aren't cut out for military life. And I don't mean to be anti-american but you yanks tend to let too many of those type wear the uniform.

Regarding your friend though depending on exactly when he went through all that crap there may be something ya can still do. The stature of limitations on such things is usually pretty generous, at least in the Canadian armed forces there are.
You must be logged in to post.