Post Reply What is the difference between manga and light novels?
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
are they different?
Posted 12/27/15
Manga is like comics whereas light novels are just books that aren't very descriptive, to my knowledge.
Posted 12/27/15
^He's right.

Mangas are graphic novels, whereas Light Novels are books with a picture or two,
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
Vns are usually interactive. That is to say some of them go pretty in-depth with how you can make the main character react to some situations to some that have choices that don't really matter (I.e. same outcome either way with maybe different diologue depending on your choices).

Vns are usually voice acted and have characters that lipsync with the voice (not always) and that will have different animations/poses depending on the situation.

You usually get more information from a manga though. As the scenery can change panel by panel. In a visual novel you usually have one scene that has floating text until you advance to the next scene.
One Punch Mod
85941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/27/15

oneouts123 wrote:

are they different?


I've moved this to Advice, Info, Recommendations.

PV sums it up nicely. Manga are comics; light novels are more like illustrated YA novels.
25081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 12/27/15

Indeed, they are. Manga comes in panels of pictures, dialogue balloons, sound f/x characters and some narrative. Light Novels, as its termed, are mostly text with limited number of words and can either be purchased as a stand-alone or is released as part of a magazine.
Posted 12/27/15

LightningDragonSlayerLaxus wrote:

Manga is like comics whereas light novels are just books that aren't very descriptive, to my knowledge.


I can't agree with the light novel part. I have the Spice and Wolf light novel. Is very descriptive. Beside how descriptive a novel or light novel is depending in the author writing.


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

^He's right.

Mangas are graphic novels, whereas Light Novels are books with a picture or two,

No true again. I have the Spice and Wolf light novel. It has more than two illustration on it. Each dealing with a important scene.
35037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
The most substantial difference is that one principally presents its content as images while the other presents it primarily as text. That difference has consequences, because images and text are different media and some people may prefer one over the other.
Posted 12/27/15

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Vns are usually interactive. That is to say some of them go pretty in-depth with how you can make the main character react to some situations to some that have choices that don't really matter (I.e. same outcome either way with maybe different diologue depending on your choices).

Vns are usually voice acted and have characters that lipsync with the voice (not always) and that will have different animations/poses depending on the situation.

You usually get more information from a manga though. As the scenery can change panel by panel. In a visual novel you usually have one scene that has floating text until you advance to the next scene.


He meant Light novel, no a visual novel.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/27/15

KarenAraragi wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Vns are usually interactive. That is to say some of them go pretty in-depth with how you can make the main character react to some situations to some that have choices that don't really matter (I.e. same outcome either way with maybe different diologue depending on your choices).

Vns are usually voice acted and have characters that lipsync with the voice (not always) and that will have different animations/poses depending on the situation.

You usually get more information from a manga though. As the scenery can change panel by panel. In a visual novel you usually have one scene that has floating text until you advance to the next scene.


He meant Light novel, no a visual novel.

Ah. I skimmed it over. Thanks.
Posted 12/27/15

KarenAraragi wrote:


LightningDragonSlayerLaxus wrote:

Manga is like comics whereas light novels are just books that aren't very descriptive, to my knowledge.


I can't agree with the light novel part. I have the Spice and Wolf light novel. Is very descriptive. Beside how descriptive a novel or light novel is depending in the author writing.


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

^He's right.

Mangas are graphic novels, whereas Light Novels are books with a picture or two,

No true again. I have the Spice and Wolf light novel. It has more than two illustration on it. Each dealing with a important scene.


I didn't mean it literally.
Posted 12/27/15

oneouts123 wrote:

are they different?


Manga is a comic. Light novel is basically a normal novel being shrunk in a smaller size.

There no difference in novel/light novel other than than the page count is going to be smaller in the light novel.

The main difference in a manga and light novel is the way they tell a story. Manga being told mostly in visual manner. Light novel being told mostly in words manner. This mean if you want more in depth story or knowledge about the world or the inner monologues of the characters. A novel or light novel is the way to go. But that isn't always true. Manga tell his story with images mostly but doesn't mean it can have the same level of depth of a light novel/novel.

Well this is my opinion. I read a lot of manga and novels/light novels. So this how I feel about it.
1767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
^There are some differences between novels and light novels though. As someone else pointed out above, the target demographic of light novels are young adults. You're right, page count is one difference. But the writing styles are also different.

In terms of visuals, light novels (mostly words, with a few illustrations) are like the middle ground between novels and manga. In terms of subjects, writing styles etc., light novels are closer to manga than to novels.
You must be logged in to post.