First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply An Open Letter to CR and CR members
41848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 12/28/15

Bullbound wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:

I've only been around CR since 2010--heard about it on 91.8 the Fan, an online radio station/so-much-more to which I belong. I signed up for a renewing yearly membership, which basically cuts the cost down to about $5.00 per month. Now, compare that to the cost of either dish or cable, then consider that I work two jobs and have very limited viewing time. CR wins hands-down for value and quality of programming! I joined a couple of other anime sites, but can't even keep up what I want to watch here, to the point that I just don't visit those other sites. I'm pretty much just happy to be here!

Would you say that you stay around and pay because CR gets shows you enjoy for a price that you feel is better?


Definitely! And the community is rather fun, also. CR and the Fan are my go-to places for entertainment, relaxation, and enjoyable conversation.
41320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/28/15
1 Yes they seem to forget about long time members / not so much for the contesrs but more tech and other problems as follows

2 They want you to pay more for better customer service that gives you drama too > I should get the same service no matter what level ! I am an anime sub $ 12 / 13 is a lot I get FUNI /CR for 15 total

3 I have so many tech issues that come and go ! Some days no problems other complete website crashes / dont even ask about the video player . Yet you get the same response it's my fault / bit it goes away without me doing a thing What a joke

4 I like CR for the forums but there has been a recent crackdown on posts / content thatb was fine for 4 years and now is a problem

5 I like paying for the anime because the Studio / Author / employes are to get paid ? I also have a Funimation sub so I support as much as possible


5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Online
Posted 12/29/15

SatoMadoka wrote:

The community is only something I have recently gone into. I did have an account here years ago but I can't remember it.

Those things you mention have never been relevant to me. My main frustration with the site is that as usual, it's more US based.
So that means certain shows don't make it over here that are there. The same can be said for the users here. I'll continue using it but I'm considering checking out other sites too. Kinda feel doing it the legal way is something I should do since it's something I enjoy, even if I don't really keep up with what's new or not.

I've read this a lot. A friend of mine serves in the Army and he was the one that referred me to CR. When he gets deployed overseas it apparently isn't unusual to bounce internet connections to the US before coming to CR or many program viewing sites.


FLjerry2011 wrote:

1 Yes they seem to forget about long time members / not so much for the contesrs but more tech and other problems as follows

2 They want you to pay more for better customer service that gives you drama too > I should get the same service no matter what level ! I am an anime sub $ 12 / 13 is a lot I get FUNI /CR for 15 total

3 I have so many tech issues that come and go ! Some days no problems other complete website crashes / dont even ask about the video player . Yet you get the same response it's my fault / bit it goes away without me doing a thing What a joke

4 I like CR for the forums but there has been a recent crackdown on posts / content thatb was fine for 4 years and now is a problem

5 I like paying for the anime because the Studio / Author / employes are to get paid ? I also have a Funimation sub so I support as much as possible

It sounds like you stay here to help support the shows that you enjoy. If you could get them at a more modernized site that supported the production and distribution of your shows, would you leave CR? I admit that CR has had a number of tech issues, sometimes crashing the entire site due to a problem with the videos. That does get frustrating when there is little being said about the problem nor an ETA for the solution.
41320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Bullbound wrote:


SatoMadoka wrote:

The community is only something I have recently gone into. I did have an account here years ago but I can't remember it.

Those things you mention have never been relevant to me. My main frustration with the site is that as usual, it's more US based.
So that means certain shows don't make it over here that are there. The same can be said for the users here. I'll continue using it but I'm considering checking out other sites too. Kinda feel doing it the legal way is something I should do since it's something I enjoy, even if I don't really keep up with what's new or not.

I've read this a lot. A friend of mine serves in the Army and he was the one that referred me to CR. When he gets deployed overseas it apparently isn't unusual to bounce internet connections to the US before coming to CR or many program viewing sites.


FLjerry2011 wrote:

1 Yes they seem to forget about long time members / not so much for the contesrs but more tech and other problems as follows

2 They want you to pay more for better customer service that gives you drama too > I should get the same service no matter what level ! I am an anime sub $ 12 / 13 is a lot I get FUNI /CR for 15 total

3 I have so many tech issues that come and go ! Some days no problems other complete website crashes / dont even ask about the video player . Yet you get the same response it's my fault / bit it goes away without me doing a thing What a joke

4 I like CR for the forums but there has been a recent crackdown on posts / content thatb was fine for 4 years and now is a problem

5 I like paying for the anime because the Studio / Author / employes are to get paid ? I also have a Funimation sub so I support as much as possible

It sounds like you stay here to help support the shows that you enjoy. If you could get them at a more modernized site that supported the production and distribution of your shows, would you leave CR? I admit that CR has had a number of tech issues, sometimes crashing the entire site due to a problem with the videos. That does get frustrating when there is little being said about the problem nor an ETA for the solution.


I wiil try to answer in a fait concise way.

1 I do not hate CR but their approach lately is just not customer or fan friendly IMO. I

2 Both Funimation and CR are trying their hand at Production side . Funimation has Dimension W already !

3. You can already stream anime on the Dark side but I like paying the sources so we have more anime !

4 I think CR / Funimation are the heavy hitters and would be hard to knock them off! Netflix has sone anime and are actually good anime. So does Daisuke / nut shares with both.

5 If there was a new site and it to succeed I think OVAS and movies are a must ! A Pet peeve of mine but I understand the matrketinng approavh ( at least OVAS ) to but the DVD / Manga !

6 A new site would have to think outside of the box to bring new customers in. It does take $$ to operate no matter what your goal is!

7 To leave CR would require then to have a lor of anime not just piecemeal . I think the idea of a clearing house ype like you are saying is a hard sell to the Japanese anime industry, They want tight control ! You think it easy just to get licensing rights . I hope youb are not naive about that because it is a dark dark science almost anicent really!
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Online
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

FLjerry2011 wrote:
I wiil try to answer in a fait concise way.

1 I do not hate CR but their approach lately is just not customer or fan friendly IMO. I

2 Both Funimation and CR are trying their hand at Production side . Funimation has Dimension W already !

3. You can already stream anime on the Dark side but I like paying the sources so we have more anime !

4 I think CR / Funimation are the heavy hitters and would be hard to knock them off! Netflix has sone anime and are actually good anime. So does Daisuke / nut shares with both.

5 If there was a new site and it to succeed I think OVAS and movies are a must ! A Pet peeve of mine but I understand the matrketinng approavh ( at least OVAS ) to but the DVD / Manga !

6 A new site would have to think outside of the box to bring new customers in. It does take $$ to operate no matter what your goal is!

7 To leave CR would require then to have a lor of anime not just piecemeal . I think the idea of a clearing house ype like you are saying is a hard sell to the Japanese anime industry, They want tight control ! You think it easy just to get licensing rights . I hope youb are not naive about that because it is a dark dark science almost anicent really!


I never said anything about a clearing house, nor said it is easy to get licensing rights. The plight of the soldiers that I made in regards to SatoMadoka's post was an example of how tight the control is, and how it is difficult to get anime from this site when one is not in the US. I was in agreement with much of what you posted. Your complaint seemed to focus on the tech aspect of things as being your problem with the way CR functions and operates, so I was trying to ascertain how large a factor that is for you. My question to you was a theoretical comparison between CR as it is now and a copycat sight with fewer tech issues. If you had stated you would leave without hesitation to a CR copycat with fewer tech issues, that would only illustrate that CR is a commodity without brand loyalty, for you. If you said you would still stick around, then there is also some brand loyalty present.
STUish 
14105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
In Australia, CR and Animelab are the only places you can support the studios for most shows (without a vpn at least). Still, a lot of stuff is missing or region blocked on CR :/

I do like the fact they're producing some stuff now
3119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
CR provides something that you may or may not pay for. That's why we're all here. I doubt it's intentional but expecting some reward for being here for a long time or being premium user for a long time makes us look like self entitled losers. Like seriously, nobody owes us anything. If you aren't happy with what they offer, I would recommend not paying for it or finding a new place to read/watch manga and anime.
Unaru 
75029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States/Avalon
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15


It's not entitlement so much as wanting some acknowledgement for being faithful customers. It is common practice by many companies to only have incentives for people to purchase their product as new customers and failing completely to have incentives for you to stay as a customer. Honestly, most of the these people would be happy with something very small, even insignificant if as long they feel their continued support means something. You have to remember that this a niche industry and if it wasn't for real anime fans, none of this would be possible. Not everyone watches anime like they do regular television shows and sports.

As for me, I have been a paying customer from the very beginning--back when CR started transitioning into legit programming. There has not been a day when I have not been a premium/anime/all-access member, or what have you.

It's rather simple in my case. I rather not dig around shady sites for fan-subs and I want to be able to see most if not all of the anime programming that Japan gets. For all that, I think I have generally gotten a fair shake. Where I started getting wary was when the company was sold to some hot-shot media investor in some of the most thinly-veiled bs I have seen in this site. It actually kind of pissed me off, the thought of going from being a supportive anime fan to another number that feeds corporate greed. Most of us get enough getting screwed daily by media and communications companies that we pay inordinate sums to just be able to visit the Internet. What I did then was hedge my bet by buying membership at Funimation.

The nice thing about Funi is that they're pleasantly incompetent and they don't change. CR, however, can change a lot in the next few years and none of us can be sure how it'll all end up going down. But, I think most of us rather pay Funi and Crunchy before Daisuki has its day in hell--thereby pissing us off so much that we have to go back to fan-subs. I swear to you, I'll never visit that pile of trash again. I do have to say, though, if CR raises its price a-la Netflix style, I'll simply start throwing all my weight into Funi. CR should tread lightly.

TLDR:
*For the price, it seems like a fair shake for lots of good anime.
*I rather pay for anime than shift through crappy sites for the anime I want to see.
*Daisuki sucks hardcore and I would rather die than support their terrible website and business practices.
*CR needs to stay humble and remember that we are the reason it continues to grow and exist.

Werina 
205470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
LOSERVILLE
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
I still don't understand what this thread's about
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
I have a yearly subscription because I forgot to cancel

but you're free to leave as soon as your sub is up- it's a free market... CR is no monopoly
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Online
Posted 12/30/15

Unaru wrote:


It's not entitlement so much as wanting some acknowledgement for being faithful customers. It is common practice by many companies to only have incentives for people to purchase their product as new customers and failing completely to have incentives for you to stay as a customer. Honestly, most of the these people would be happy with something very small, even insignificant if as long they feel their continued support means something. You have to remember that this a niche industry and if it wasn't for real anime fans, none of this would be possible. Not everyone watches anime like they do regular television shows and sports.

As for me, I have been a paying customer from the very beginning--back when CR started transitioning into legit programming. There has not been a day when I have not been a premium/anime/all-access member, or what have you.

It's rather simple in my case. I rather not dig around shady sites for fan-subs and I want to be able to see most if not all of the anime programming that Japan gets. For all that, I think I have generally gotten a fair shake. Where I started getting wary was when the company was sold to some hot-shot media investor in some of the most thinly-veiled bs I have seen in this site. It actually kind of pissed me off, the thought of going from being a supportive anime fan to another number that feeds corporate greed. Most of us get enough getting screwed daily by media and communications companies that we pay inordinate sums to just be able to visit the Internet. What I did then was hedge my bet by buying membership at Funimation.

The nice thing about Funi is that they're pleasantly incompetent and they don't change. CR, however, can change a lot in the next few years and none of us can be sure how it'll all end up going down. But, I think most of us rather pay Funi and Crunchy before Daisuki has its day in hell--thereby pissing us off so much that we have to go back to fan-subs. I swear to you, I'll never visit that pile of trash again. I do have to say, though, if CR raises its price a-la Netflix style, I'll simply start throwing all my weight into Funi. CR should tread lightly.

TLDR:
*For the price, it seems like a fair shake for lots of good anime.
*I rather pay for anime than shift through crappy sites for the anime I want to see.
*Daisuki sucks hardcore and I would rather die than support their terrible website and business practices.
*CR needs to stay humble and remember that we are the reason it continues to grow and exist.

That was some interesting commentary, Unaru. I had forgotten about Daisuki and had to revisit them to refresh my memory. I do recall CR saying they were going to reward the supporters with stuff like special booth gifts at conventions, but I haven't seen anyone talk about that. The shipping discount was nice if you bought something pricey, but now most things are pricey and you don't always get much of a discount. What brought you here initially.



Werina wrote:

I still don't understand what this thread's about

There has been a lot of complaining lately, and it seems to get brushed aside fairly regularly. As was stated in the first post, this thread is meant to be constructive. What brought people to this site, what is weakening their resolve to leave the site, and what would it take for you to leave CR? Answers to these 3 questions will hopefully give CR a push and reveal how tenuous their grip is becoming on their fan base. They are offering trips to Japan, which is new, to bring in new customers. But new customers are not going to sustain CR unless there is something to keep them here. It is the long time members that keep the site steady instead of just floating.



nanikore2 wrote:

I have a yearly subscription because I forgot to cancel

but you're free to leave as soon as your sub is up- it's a free market... CR is no monopoly

Nope, they aren't. That seems to be a common thread in the replies; folks are already using another service and just waiting for that last straw to break their back.
7881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SCANDINAVIA
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

Bullbound wrote:


SatoMadoka wrote:

The community is only something I have recently gone into. I did have an account here years ago but I can't remember it.

Those things you mention have never been relevant to me. My main frustration with the site is that as usual, it's more US based.
So that means certain shows don't make it over here that are there. The same can be said for the users here. I'll continue using it but I'm considering checking out other sites too. Kinda feel doing it the legal way is something I should do since it's something I enjoy, even if I don't really keep up with what's new or not.

I've read this a lot. A friend of mine serves in the Army and he was the one that referred me to CR. When he gets deployed overseas it apparently isn't unusual to bounce internet connections to the US before coming to CR or many program viewing sites.


Yeah, certainly seems to be periods of the day where it just freezes and starts to load. Sometimes I have to refresh the page.
Which is happening right now
38892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/30/15
I just use CR and watch animu and thwip through the forums
20719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 12/30/15
I use crunchyroll cause im not in the US and there is 0 way to watch Anime in Australia other then Netflix and a few places that have like 0 series.
3119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

Unaru wrote:



It's not entitlement so much as wanting some acknowledgement for being faithful customers. It is common practice by many companies to only have incentives for people to purchase their product as new customers and failing completely to have incentives for you to stay as a customer. Honestly, most of the these people would be happy with something very small, even insignificant if as long they feel their continued support means something. You have to remember that this a niche industry and if it wasn't for real anime fans, none of this would be possible. Not everyone watches anime like they do regular television shows and sports.

As for me, I have been a paying customer from the very beginning--back when CR started transitioning into legit programming. There has not been a day when I have not been a premium/anime/all-access member, or what have you.

It's rather simple in my case. I rather not dig around shady sites for fan-subs and I want to be able to see most if not all of the anime programming that Japan gets. For all that, I think I have generally gotten a fair shake. Where I started getting wary was when the company was sold to some hot-shot media investor in some of the most thinly-veiled bs I have seen in this site. It actually kind of pissed me off, the thought of going from being a supportive anime fan to another number that feeds corporate greed. Most of us get enough getting screwed daily by media and communications companies that we pay inordinate sums to just be able to visit the Internet. What I did then was hedge my bet by buying membership at Funimation.

The nice thing about Funi is that they're pleasantly incompetent and they don't change. CR, however, can change a lot in the next few years and none of us can be sure how it'll all end up going down. But, I think most of us rather pay Funi and Crunchy before Daisuki has its day in hell--thereby pissing us off so much that we have to go back to fan-subs. I swear to you, I'll never visit that pile of trash again. I do have to say, though, if CR raises its price a-la Netflix style, I'll simply start throwing all my weight into Funi. CR should tread lightly.

TLDR:
*For the price, it seems like a fair shake for lots of good anime.
*I rather pay for anime than shift through crappy sites for the anime I want to see.
*Daisuki sucks hardcore and I would rather die than support their terrible website and business practices.
*CR needs to stay humble and remember that we are the reason it continues to grow and exist.



It's great that some companies offer rewards to faithful members, but expecting them to reward you for using their service is ridiculous. You pay for the service, they provide it. They owe you nothing else. If CR chooses to reward you for being loyal, good for you, but don't expect it as if it's something they are supposed to provide. I don't mind customers wanting more, and bargaining with your money is fine. If you are unhappy with what CR provides, I suggest you all find a new site, and maybe CR starts to provide more for your money. But that's not what most people are doing. They are acting as if they are owed something, when nobody owes them at all.

And yes, the customers are a reason why companies grow. But the people who run the companies are the ones who built it and provided the service you wanted. It exists because they made it. It's not like you all just decided out of the blue to invest into some random company and it grew into what it is because of that. They had a service that they believed people would pay for, and they did. You played no significant part in the growth or existence of the company besides paying for the service they believed you would pay for. And for that payment, you were given access to anime and manga.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.