First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply An Open Letter to CR and CR members
37164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/15
I'm just here for the anime. Really don't care about anything else. I can stream CR on all my devices and it works flawlessly. As long as CR keeps offering good anime and keeps working on my tablet/cellphone I will keep using it.

I have Netflix too, but the selection isn't the best. I use it for regular TV/movies. It also works on all my devices.

Hulu does not work on my tablet, so I don't use it. Plus Hulu is obnoxious, has a terrible layout, and I haven't forgiven them for killing their comment section and replacing it with Facebook.

I pay for netflix/CR because they're cheap and I can afford it. It's a negligible expense for something I use so much.
Unaru 
75029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States/Avalon
Offline
Posted 12/30/15 , edited 12/30/15



It's great that some companies offer rewards to faithful members, but expecting them to reward you for using their service is ridiculous. You pay for the service, they provide it. They owe you nothing else. If CR chooses to reward you for being loyal, good for you, but don't expect it as if it's something they are supposed to provide. I don't mind customers wanting more, and bargaining with your money is fine. If you are unhappy with what CR provides, I suggest you all find a new site, and maybe CR starts to provide more for your money. But that's not what most people are doing. They are acting as if they are owed something, when nobody owes them at all.

And yes, the customers are a reason why companies grow. But the people who run the companies are the ones who built it and provided the service you wanted. It exists because they made it. It's not like you all just decided out of the blue to invest into some random company and it grew into what it is because of that. They had a service that they believed people would pay for, and they did. You played no significant part in the growth or existence of the company besides paying for the service they believed you would pay for. And for that payment, you were given access to anime and manga.


It's funny you say that because it's the same bullshit that has been ruining society with the advent of industrialization and globalization. This idea that companies are not beholden to the people they serve is entirely wrongheaded and not what good capitalism is supposed to be. Patronage, period, is the reason products derived from art exist in quantities that multitudes may enjoy. Suffice it to say, I'm not exactly interested in debating this because it's pointless. I just respectfully disagree.
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

Ryulightorb wrote:

I use crunchyroll cause im not in the US and there is 0 way to watch Anime in Australia other then Netflix and a few places that have like 0 series.


That is a very good reason; monopoly. Maybe it is just me, but I find it a bit humorous that you are closer to Japan than many Americans, but can't get anime. It is amazing how powerful economic incentives can be.


Unaru wrote:




It's great that some companies offer rewards to faithful members, but expecting them to reward you for using their service is ridiculous. You pay for the service, they provide it. They owe you nothing else. If CR chooses to reward you for being loyal, good for you, but don't expect it as if it's something they are supposed to provide. I don't mind customers wanting more, and bargaining with your money is fine. If you are unhappy with what CR provides, I suggest you all find a new site, and maybe CR starts to provide more for your money. But that's not what most people are doing. They are acting as if they are owed something, when nobody owes them at all.

And yes, the customers are a reason why companies grow. But the people who run the companies are the ones who built it and provided the service you wanted. It exists because they made it. It's not like you all just decided out of the blue to invest into some random company and it grew into what it is because of that. They had a service that they believed people would pay for, and they did. You played no significant part in the growth or existence of the company besides paying for the service they believed you would pay for. And for that payment, you were given access to anime and manga.


It's funny you say that because it's the same bullshit that has been ruining society with the advent of industrialization and globalization. This idea that companies are not beholden to the people they serve is entirely wrongheaded and not what good capitalism is supposed to be. Patronage, period, is the reason products derived from art exist in quantities that multitudes may enjoy. Suffice it to say, I'm not exactly interested in debating this because it's pointless. I just respectfully disagree.


The concept of "build it and they will come" is actually a failing strategy in modern capitalism. Large amounts of research go into demand analytical reports before companies are able to get funded and/or sponsored. If there is a niche market without much room for profit or an over saturated market, the investors are less likely to invest. As for saying that the consumer plays no significant part in the growth or existence of the company, that is a major fallacy. Companies exist because they need the consumers and it is the services they provide for the price(s) they charge compared to what the consumer is willing to accept, that determines how large or small of a market share a company acquires.

However, this is starting to veer off track, to a point. The large scale recruitment drive that CR has been doing compared to years past would indicate that the long time users are leaving and/or CR is trying to increase its share of the market. If long time users are leaving and that is also decreasing CR's market share, then bringing in new users with short term rewards is at best a band-aid. That brings us back to the original questions; why did you join and what would it take for you to leave Crunchyroll? In other words, would it be easy for Crunchyroll to lose you as a member because they are focusing on recruitment instead of retention?
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

kinga750 wrote:

I'm just here for the anime. Really don't care about anything else. I can stream CR on all my devices and it works flawlessly. As long as CR keeps offering good anime and keeps working on my tablet/cellphone I will keep using it.

I have Netflix too, but the selection isn't the best. I use it for regular TV/movies. It also works on all my devices.

Hulu does not work on my tablet, so I don't use it. Plus Hulu is obnoxious, has a terrible layout, and I haven't forgiven them for killing their comment section and replacing it with Facebook.

I pay for netflix/CR because they're cheap and I can afford it. It's a negligible expense for something I use so much.


Thank you for answering the original questions. Is it safe to say you are along for the ride until someone gives you the same "bang for your buck" using a format that is friendly, or is there some brand loyalty at play too?
37164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/30/15

Bullbound wrote:Thank you for answering the original questions. Is it safe to say you are along for the ride until someone gives you the same "bang for your buck" using a format that is friendly, or is there some brand loyalty at play too?


Hard to say. I am a creature of habit so the service would have to be exceptionally good to make me change it up. I like this site so there is some brand loyalty I guess. Honestly CR provides everything I want, I can't really see myself cancelling. If they changed the layout to something terrible, or stopped getting a good selection of anime I might though.
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

kinga750 wrote:

Hard to say. I am a creature of habit so the service would have to be exceptionally good to make me change it up. I like this site so there is some brand loyalty I guess. Honestly CR provides everything I want, I can't really see myself cancelling. If they changed the layout to something terrible, or stopped getting a good selection of anime I might though.


Thank you for that. I would guess this is the case for many users, if the membership counts are close to accurate. Based on the number of folks that CR claims as members compared to the number of folks on the forums, most probably just watch the videos and wait for something big to happen. Their approach to the anime may be like yours.
2406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
As a member from literally yesterday, I can say it wasn't this contest that brought me here. (I didn't even know about the contest until after signing up.)

It was the bleh of Netflix, and Caddicarus with a special free trial offer I couldn't refuse that brought me here. lol

I can say I'm already impressed with the streaming, and could hardly ask for much more.

Feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt if you want. *shrug*
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

TRKitsune wrote:

As a member from literally yesterday, I can say it wasn't this contest that brought me here. (I didn't even know about the contest until after signing up.)

It was the bleh of Netflix, and Caddicarus with a special free trial offer I couldn't refuse that brought me here. lol

I can say I'm already impressed with the streaming, and could hardly ask for much more.

Feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt if you want. *shrug*


No salt needed. Newcomers and old bodies alike are a part of what keeps Crunchyroll rolling along. There isn't a big difference between free and the lowest level of premium any more when it all adds up. But, welcome aboard.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

kinga750 wrote:

I'm just here for the anime. Really don't care about anything else. I can stream CR on all my devices and it works flawlessly. As long as CR keeps offering good anime and keeps working on my tablet/cellphone I will keep using it.

I have Netflix too, but the selection isn't the best. I use it for regular TV/movies. It also works on all my devices.

Hulu does not work on my tablet, so I don't use it. Plus Hulu is obnoxious, has a terrible layout, and I haven't forgiven them for killing their comment section and replacing it with Facebook.

I pay for netflix/CR because they're cheap and I can afford it. It's a negligible expense for something I use so much.


this is me pretty much.
4123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Some where in Can...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
Some of the same questions I asked myself about 4 months ago.
9897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
I mostly stick with Crunchyroll because I enjoy the forums. Also on my PS3 for aps that play well I have Netflix and Crunchyroll. Netflix has a selective amount of anime (although I've heard they're going to make more anime) so that leaves Crunchyroll for the PS3. Online I tend to go to sites with less ads and more variety though. I can't comment about how much CR helps the anime industry or not since I don't buy any merchandise from Crunchyroll.
5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/2/16

Masterblastertnt wrote:

Some of the same questions I asked myself about 4 months ago.

Might I ask why you chose how you did? I see you are currently free, so did you go from paid to free?



nerder wrote:

I mostly stick with Crunchyroll because I enjoy the forums. Also on my PS3 for aps that play well I have Netflix and Crunchyroll. Netflix has a selective amount of anime (although I've heard they're going to make more anime) so that leaves Crunchyroll for the PS3. Online I tend to go to sites with less ads and more variety though. I can't comment about how much CR helps the anime industry or not since I don't buy any merchandise from Crunchyroll.

Yes, anime does seem to be coming to more companies and platforms as they figure out this is a popular style. Would you ever use the forums and not the video if you could get it elsewhere? Just trying to understand how Netflix plays into your answer.
39271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 1/2/16
my 2 cent, CR works fine for me almost all the time (although they was a period when videos froze a lot but that gone now.) The forum is nice to read whenever I actually do. I also love the comment section under the video which ppl seems very active on. Overall my experience w/ CR is good. For me to leave it, they would have to up the price to a point that it would piss me off. That and/or the site become very unusable to the point of never wanting to return. I also subs to Funi but their website isnt the best. I prolly leave Funi b4 CR. I visit CR much more than I do Funi. Not sure wat other site there are that have such a large library of anime where I can watch anime legally (since I like the idea of supporting the creators, studio, etc), so there also that. If CR does something for long-time members, I would fine that great, if not then it won't bother me that much. Unless there a promotion that I like but for new member. I just curse CR under my breath n then forget about it XD
9897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 1/2/16

Bullbound wrote:


Masterblastertnt wrote:

Some of the same questions I asked myself about 4 months ago.

Might I ask why you chose how you did? I see you are currently free, so did you go from paid to free?



nerder wrote:

I mostly stick with Crunchyroll because I enjoy the forums. Also on my PS3 for aps that play well I have Netflix and Crunchyroll. Netflix has a selective amount of anime (although I've heard they're going to make more anime) so that leaves Crunchyroll for the PS3. Online I tend to go to sites with less ads and more variety though. I can't comment about how much CR helps the anime industry or not since I don't buy any merchandise from Crunchyroll.

Yes, anime does seem to be coming to more companies and platforms as they figure out this is a popular style. Would you ever use the forums and not the video if you could get it elsewhere? Just trying to understand how Netflix plays into your answer.


If I got streaming with more titles and better quality than Crunchyroll on my PS3 I would.

Netflix factors in since on my PS3 I have two options Netflix and Crunchyroll for anime. Netflix has no ads but less anime. Crunchyroll has ads but more anime. So I tend to go on the Crunchyroll app for my PS3.

5574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16

nerder wrote:

If I got streaming with more titles and better quality than Crunchyroll on my PS3 I would.

Netflix factors in since on my PS3 I have two options Netflix and Crunchyroll for anime. Netflix has no ads but less anime. Crunchyroll has ads but more anime. So I tend to go on the Crunchyroll app for my PS3.



Thank you for that reply. I now understand where you are coming from.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.