First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Gun Crazy America
6965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
magnums mostly
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
then I would be your magnum.. hurr hurr...

35775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Waste lands of NY.
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15
Back in the day people open carried, those who conceal carried were thought to be up to no good. Funny how this flip flopped somewhere.
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


brookline wrote:

Texas just passed a law stating people can carry any type of gun openly any where, if you're not crazy. now some gun rights groups want to do this all over the country. they want to right to carry any type of gun, small are army size anywhere where ever they go and they want the right to buy any type of gun that is made.

not consider the rights argument. but psychologically speaking, what does this say about Americans? Are we progressing (meaning problems can be solved without a gun) or regressing(meaning the gun has become a security blanket)?


Texas has a lower gun murder rate than many places with much stricter gun laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Also, considering that we've got such a large border with Mexico, we're one of the states with the biggest drug import issues and related criminal element.

I'll let you interpret this however you want.


Texas and Louisiana seems fairly high per gun murder rates to me, then we can compare to the DC, which has a 3.6% gun ownership rate and well....let's say I've been to DC. Not a pretty town. One could say the murder with gun rate is higher percentage wise, but I feel we would be missing something, so let's assume my venture isn't accurate.
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Rujikin wrote:
Yup everyone besides those that have been proven dangerous to themselves and others. It's called the right to a fair trial and it is also one of our founding principals.

Yeah, many people where I live always keep guns on them. No one gets hurt. Have you ever tried hanging out around people with guns before and seen how uneventful it is? Really 99.99% of time carrying around a gun is boring and forgettable.


I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few people who I would not want to encounter with a gun. Do you believe that every gun owner treats the gun with the same respect and safety that you do? Do you think that anyone will be safer by allowing people who lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety to carry their gun everywhere they go?

I struggle to feel like I would be more safe in a world where every idiot I run into is armed to the teeth.
16795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Frenzify wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

You know it's easier to make an automatic rifle than a semi-auto right? On top of that anyone could replace the mechanism for a semi and turn it into an auto easily. To top it off untrained persons that attempt to use a full auto tend to hold the trigger down for too long and waste most of their ammo plus kill any accuracy they might have had.

semi weapons are more dangerous unless your shooting a wave of people charging at you and you cannot possibly miss because with semi you have to aim before pulling the trigger.


Alright. You seem to know way more about guns than I do, so I'll take your word on that. Still, to say you can carry any type of gun anywhere, as long as you're not crazy, of course, is still a little crazy. I'm just can't see the purpose in such a relaxed law.


Really why not? Idk where you come from but I see people walking around with guns all the time, many more that are concealed. Typically it's pistols. They just walk around doing whatever, nothing happens. If something does happen then you have someone that is willing to fight and die to protect you.

Though carrying around rifles in stores is really over kill and like carrying an industrial drill around just to drill a screw into a wall.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Texas and Louisiana seems fairly high per gun murder rates to me, then we can compare to the DC, which has a 3.6% gun ownership rate and well....let's say I've been to DC. Not a pretty town.


There are war zones in Africa with lower gun death rates than Washington DC.
35775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Waste lands of NY.
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


brookline wrote:

Texas just passed a law stating people can carry any type of gun openly any where, if you're not crazy. now some gun rights groups want to do this all over the country. they want to right to carry any type of gun, small are army size anywhere where ever they go and they want the right to buy any type of gun that is made.

not consider the rights argument. but psychologically speaking, what does this say about Americans? Are we progressing (meaning problems can be solved without a gun) or regressing(meaning the gun has become a security blanket)?


Texas has a lower gun murder rate than many places with much stricter gun laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Also, considering that we've got such a large border with Mexico, we're one of the states with the biggest drug import issues and related criminal element.

I'll let you interpret this however you want.


Texas and Louisiana seems fairly high per gun murder rates to me, then we can compare to the DC, which has a 3.6% gun ownership rate and well....let's say I've been to DC. Not a pretty town.


There are 16 states/territories with higher gun murder rates. Not sure what you consider "high" but I would consider that more average than high. And many of the states on the lower end have a much less dense population. Hard to have criminal elements when you have to drive 30 miles to get to your neighbor's house. Also, as I said, there is a large criminal element from drug importing in Texas that screws with the numbers.

Yeah, LA is pretty high, but we're not talking about LA.

You can sort the states by stat, if you need to, just to see for yourself.
16795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

sundin13 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
Yup everyone besides those that have been proven dangerous to themselves and others. It's called the right to a fair trial and it is also one of our founding principals.

Yeah, many people where I live always keep guns on them. No one gets hurt. Have you ever tried hanging out around people with guns before and seen how uneventful it is? Really 99.99% of time carrying around a gun is boring and forgettable.


I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few people who I would not want to encounter with a gun. Do you believe that every gun owner treats the gun with the same respect and safety that you do? Do you think that anyone will be safer by allowing people who lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety to carry their gun everywhere they go?

I struggle to feel like I would be more safe in a world where every idiot I run into is armed to the teeth.


Do you think that someone who "lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety" would respect the laws or even know the laws? Responsible people go out of their way to educate themselves and try to follow the patch work of laws that we have and even that is hard.

Are you safe right now? What if someone on meth held you up, with a gun, for money and when you gave them your wallet they went crazy because it wasn't enough to buy more meth. If you don't also have a gun your only solution is to try to talk to someone that is mentally unstable or pray to the gods. Can you call that safety?


There are war zones in Africa with lower gun death rates than Washington DC.

DC the only place where a gunman can go on a killing rampage inside of a military base because not even the military has weapons...
172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
Wait, weren't the gun laws defined by federal statutes ?

I am european so I might have a wrong idea about how your legislative and judicial systems work. As far as I can tell, you are talking about a state law, but isn't there a way to contest it at the federal level ?

As I see it " not being crazy" is pretty much impossible to prove just by taking a regular psychological test; moreover it's not the literally crazy people who could easily obtain a gun, but we should fear the "normal" fellows who, for example, get angry enough to shoot you just because you took their parking spot.

It's hard to tell whether the enforcement of this law has the power to actually improve the safety of the environment .-.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/15


Gotta love the facts. Unless, of course, you are anti-gun. *shrug*
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Most gun owners are logical people who advocate for some gun control. I honestly never met someone who wants no regulation whatsoever. Such are fringe extremists.


Keyword: Most.

I've known some weird people that been, how you say, extremely excited when they saw a gun. Fortunately, I never saw them again!
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


brookline wrote:

Texas just passed a law stating people can carry any type of gun openly any where, if you're not crazy. now some gun rights groups want to do this all over the country. they want to right to carry any type of gun, small are army size anywhere where ever they go and they want the right to buy any type of gun that is made.

not consider the rights argument. but psychologically speaking, what does this say about Americans? Are we progressing (meaning problems can be solved without a gun) or regressing(meaning the gun has become a security blanket)?


Texas has a lower gun murder rate than many places with much stricter gun laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Also, considering that we've got such a large border with Mexico, we're one of the states with the biggest drug import issues and related criminal element.

I'll let you interpret this however you want.


Texas and Louisiana seems fairly high per gun murder rates to me, then we can compare to the DC, which has a 3.6% gun ownership rate and well....let's say I've been to DC. Not a pretty town.


There are 16 states/territories with higher gun murder rates. Not sure what you consider "high" but I would consider that more average than high. And many of the states on the lower end have a much less dense population. Hard to have criminal elements when you have to drive 30 miles to get to your neighbor's house. Also, as I said, there is a large criminal element from drug importing in Texas that screws with the numbers.

Yeah, LA is pretty high, but we're not talking about LA.

You can sort the states by stat, if you need to, just to see for yourself.



Oh, I see, didn't know wikipedia did that.


Here's what I got.


Pennsylvania 34.7% 5.1 3.6
Delaware 25.5% 5.3 4.2
Georgia 40.3% 5.3 3.8
Arizona 31.1% 5.5 3.6
Michigan 38.4% 5.6 4.2
Tennessee 43.9% 5.6 3.5
Mississippi 55.3% 5.6 4.0
New Mexico 34.8% 5.7 3.3
Nevada 2,700,551 33.8% 5.9 3.1
South Carolina 42.3% 6.1 4.5
Missouri 5,988,927 41.7% 7.0 5.4
Maryland 21.3% 7.3 5.1
Louisiana 44.1% 9.6 7.7

Middle number is errr....murder rate....and right number is gun murder rate. Percent is errr....gun ownership.



Maybe it depends on the state? No one expects Hawaii to have a high crime rate anyway.
30791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Rujikin wrote:


Frenzify wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

You know it's easier to make an automatic rifle than a semi-auto right? On top of that anyone could replace the mechanism for a semi and turn it into an auto easily. To top it off untrained persons that attempt to use a full auto tend to hold the trigger down for too long and waste most of their ammo plus kill any accuracy they might have had.

semi weapons are more dangerous unless your shooting a wave of people charging at you and you cannot possibly miss because with semi you have to aim before pulling the trigger.


Alright. You seem to know way more about guns than I do, so I'll take your word on that. Still, to say you can carry any type of gun anywhere, as long as you're not crazy, of course, is still a little crazy. I'm just can't see the purpose in such a relaxed law.


Really why not? Idk where you come from but I see people walking around with guns all the time, many more that are concealed. Typically it's pistols. They just walk around doing whatever, nothing happens. If something does happen then you have someone that is willing to fight and die to protect you.

Though carrying around rifles in stores is really over kill and like carrying an industrial drill around just to drill a screw into a wall.


Well, I live in the UK, so if it's knives for me... Well, they're illegal to carry around, too, but still. It's more knife culture over here, than gun culture.

I would be lying if I said I didn't understand the general principle. If some guy is going crazy with a gun, then you can defend yourself and others with your own gun. I also realise that banning guns would solve nothing, considering how many guns are already in circulation. But the idea of carrying around any type of gun just baffles me. In my ignorance I'll say that the smaller, the better, even if I have a feeling that may not necessarily be true, so pistols? Fine. Knock yourselves out. A fucking sniper rifle? Why? Stop. Just stop.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.