First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Gun Crazy America
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/29/15
If you really want to make things interesting, sort by gun ownership rate and see if the gun murder rate matches up. The answer is somewhat counter-intuitive.
24932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

sundin13 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few people who I would not want to encounter with a gun. Do you believe that every gun owner treats the gun with the same respect and safety that you do? Do you think that anyone will be safer by allowing people who lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety to carry their gun everywhere they go?

I struggle to feel like I would be more safe in a world where every idiot I run into is armed to the teeth.


Isn't that a little paranoid?
8792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Places
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15
This has nothing to do with the discussion but is something I rarely get the chance to say.

AR-15.

Does not mean Assault Rifle 15.

It stands for Armalite Rifle, named after it̀s inventor.

Also for a weapon to be truly and ̂assault weapon̂ it has to be capable of these things :

It must be an individual weapon
It must be capable of selective fire
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle (smaller than .308 or 7.62 NATO)
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine
And it should have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)

Per the US Government : "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."


As per the 1994 Federal assault weapons ban :

It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher



Fun knowledge time!!!!!!




17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:



Gotta love the facts. Unless, of course, you are anti-gun. *shrug*


Well, I can't say I agree with american gun laws, I mean, I never felt at danger ever in Canada, and we don't have a gun culture, but thats aside the point.

The video is not really 'facts,' it's a heavily right wing biased and poorly put together video. USA is 111th, but I don't think I saw a single country, that is thought of as a well off progressive country above them in the list, and to think that gun regulation is a single faceted matter is ignorant, many of these countries have higher rates due to large illegal sectors and lack of education.

I did go further than that and actually looked up the city, 'Plano, Texas,' and it isn't a typical Texan city as far as i'm concerned, it looks like a place where educated, well off people go to live.


Kavalion wrote:


sundin13 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few people who I would not want to encounter with a gun. Do you believe that every gun owner treats the gun with the same respect and safety that you do? Do you think that anyone will be safer by allowing people who lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety to carry their gun everywhere they go?

I struggle to feel like I would be more safe in a world where every idiot I run into is armed to the teeth.


Isn't that a little paranoid?


Actually, it's a very rational thought. The primary purpose for a gun is to kill. A weapon with immense power to end a life.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Frenzify wrote:


Well, I live in the UK, so if it's knives for me... Well, they're illegal to carry around, too, but still. It's more knife culture over here, than gun culture.

I would be lying if I said I didn't understand the general principle. If some guy is going crazy with a gun, then you can defend yourself and others with your own gun. I also realise that banning guns would solve nothing, considering how many guns are already in circulation. But the idea of carrying around any type of gun just baffles me. In my ignorance I'll say that the smaller, the better, even if I have a feeling that may not necessarily be true, so pistols? Fine. Knock yourselves out. A fucking sniper rifle? Why? Stop. Just stop.


The majority of gun related deaths are with hand-guns. Id honestly feel safer with a guy holding a rifle rather than a handgun. Most civilian rifles are semi-auto, you have to go through alot of legal shit to own a automatic weapon so honestly you should feel safer around a guy with a automatic weapon because they had to go through extensive checks to own it. The only difference between a "sniper rifle" and any other rifle is the caliber and large caliber weapons would not be good to use if you wanted to commit a crime.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

KnightOfZero1991 wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:



Gotta love the facts. Unless, of course, you are anti-gun. *shrug*

I did go further than that and actually looked up the city, 'Plano, Texas,' and it isn't a typical Texan city as far as i'm concerned, it looks like a place where educated, well off people go to live.


I take it you've been to Texas, then? I live here. It is pretty much average. Though, Plano's business is booming, at the moment.


I would certainly hope your image of Texas isn't clouded by stereotype. We don't all have cattle and horses and wear big hats, you know.
10179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The state of Wash...
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
thanks for the reply and reading the post

and

you said quite a lot there.
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / Hicksville Ohio(n...
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Wasp-Zero wrote:

This has nothing to do with the discussion but is something I rarely get the chance to say.

AR-15.

Does not mean Assault Rifle 15.

It stands for Armalite Rifle, named after it̀s inventor.

Also for a weapon to be truly and ̂assault weapon̂ it has to be capable of these things :

It must be an individual weapon
It must be capable of selective fire
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle (smaller than .308 or 7.62 NATO)
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine
And it should have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)

Per the US Government : "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."


As per the 1994 Federal assault weapons ban :

It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher



Fun knowledge time!!!!!!






Ar- 15 is a great gun. Light weight and little kick.. Dont know if ar15 is right for home defense. I like a 12g for that type of situation

13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Rujikin wrote:

Do you think that someone who "lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety" would respect the laws or even know the laws? Responsible people go out of their way to educate themselves and try to follow the patch work of laws that we have and even that is hard.

Are you safe right now? What if someone on meth held you up, with a gun, for money and when you gave them your wallet they went crazy because it wasn't enough to buy more meth. If you don't also have a gun your only solution is to try to talk to someone that is mentally unstable or pray to the gods. Can you call that safety?


So your point of view is that because their are people who are not responsible we should just throw up our hands and give everyone a gun? Laws restricting gun ownership do restrict gun ownership in many groups of people. Career criminals would likely still be able to get guns, but your average idiot would probably not go out of there way to purchase a gun illegally.

As for am I safe right now? I believe that I am safer than I would be with a gun. First of all, there is the potential for an accident to occur in the the presence of a gun. Second of all, while not something I personally have to worry about, having a gun in the household may escalate domestic violence concerns. Finally, information on whether or not having a gun in these situations actually helps is inconclusive with some suggesting other methods of self defense are more viable while others state using a gun for self defense is more viable.
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


I take it you've been to Texas, then? I live here. It is pretty much average. Though, Plano's business is booming, at the moment.

I would certainly hope your image of Texas isn't clouded by stereotype. We don't all have cattle and horses and wear big hats, you know.


Oh, of course there is more than cattle and horses. Honestly I never had a reason to go there yet, so I personally haven't. I've met a lot of Texans who weren't the brightest bulb so It's possible that I don't know them enough as a whole.. I just know their public education system has been one of the worst.

Aside from that, using the argument of Plato in that video is still a poor choice to inflict an obvious bias. At under 300k people, it's only 0.1% of the US and a poor representation.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

Kavalion wrote:


sundin13 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few people who I would not want to encounter with a gun. Do you believe that every gun owner treats the gun with the same respect and safety that you do? Do you think that anyone will be safer by allowing people who lack respect for the gun, self control and basic safety to carry their gun everywhere they go?

I struggle to feel like I would be more safe in a world where every idiot I run into is armed to the teeth.


Isn't that a little paranoid?


What do you mean?
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / Hicksville Ohio(n...
Offline
Posted 12/29/15

hicksvilledave wrote:

so which forum member do you think will be the first to say. "take all the guns away" And actually mean it.


sundin13 is the winner! ding ding ding

10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/29/15

KnightOfZero1991 wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


I take it you've been to Texas, then? I live here. It is pretty much average. Though, Plano's business is booming, at the moment.

I would certainly hope your image of Texas isn't clouded by stereotype. We don't all have cattle and horses and wear big hats, you know.


Oh, of course there is more than cattle and horses. Honestly I never had a reason to go there yet, so I personally haven't. I've met a lot of Texans who weren't the brightest bulb so It's possible that I don't know them enough as a whole.. I just know their public education system has been one of the worst.

Aside from that, using the argument of Plato in that video is still a poor choice to inflict an obvious bias. At under 300k people, it's only 0.1% of the US and a poor representation.


It wasn't intended to make a representation.

I don't get why people do not understand this. It is NOT trying to make the correlation that less control means less murder. It was meant to dismiss the correlation that more gun control means less murder.... which it did, brilliantly.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/15 , edited 12/29/15
I don't really mind OC. Saw it some down south and at first it was strange but after awhile you don't even pay attention. I do think it looks ridiculous though, like if someone walked around with a sword on their back. Just absurd and silly - and it tells me I probably shouldn't talk politics with you.

I don't think many people are walking around in public with big guns or rifles, so that's not really an issue. I think most people, even down south, think that's over the top.

Could we further limit what guns are allowed? Sure but Americans do not like being told no, and they really don't like rights they already have being taken away. Generally speaking, it's bad politics to impose restrictions on people. In a country where all politicians care about is the next election, it's not going to happen.
-oyaji 
24241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / the D.C. area
Offline
Posted 12/29/15
I'm a former tank crewman. I love guns and marksmanship as a hobby. I have my AR 15, FAL, and .40 cal pistol, but documented studies have been done for decades showing that carrying a gun around all the time usually leads you into more trouble and problems than is prevented. That being said, I can understand the attitude of people in places like Texas with all the drug smuggling going through it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.