First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people want everyone to be Normal
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
Geez this thing is still going? Damn who knew wishing a mental disorder upon a child would garner this much response...
20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15

Ranwolf wrote:

Geez this thing is still going? Damn who knew wishing a mental disorder upon a child would garner this much response...


If you think Autism is a mental disorder and that is the clean cut of it.....then you know very little.

The benefits outweigh the negatives in my opinion and others would agree

It's only counted as a disorder mainly due to the social impairment and problems with communicating but those at the end of the day are learn-able.


To wish your child to be Autistic is no less wrong then to wish your child to not be Autistic.

But feel free to disagree the odds are in my favour with me fathering a child like myself due to genetics but i won't be that upset if they are normal.

That being said at the rate of technology towards births i would wonder about the possibilities of designing your own kid so to speak.
But that aside because that right there causes a big ethical dilemma that i would rather not go into because that's a can of worms where everyone is right and everyone is equally as wrong because OPINIONS.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

Ryulightorb wrote:

You are assuming i wouldn't try to understand them isn't assuming things about people FUN.

They are not someone with the same brain wiring to say they are when it is false is just telling yourself an egg is a rock.

I hope they don't go through my experience as a child as they will feel around me the same way i did around my family alone in the world like an alien so to speak.

Who would wish there child to be different and suffer from feeling such a thing.

A parent with Autism is going to be a better parent to a kid with Autism then a neurotypical child.

You are assuming i wouldn't treat said NT child the same or try to relate to them but i would because not doing so would be illogical and bad parenting.

I want the best for my future child and the best for them would be being like there mother and father and growing up with a sense of belonging and knowing how to deal with there needs etc.

I feel if i had a NT child it would be wrong for me to raise them i feel they would have a better life being raised by someone who is like them.

I wouldn't give them up but i would feel guilty for not being able to provide to that extent due to how i am.


I didn't assume shit.

You already stated you could only pity such a 'neurotypical' child for having a life you would hate---that you would have less empathy for them considering they are irrational and emotional to you. That such a child wouldn't be of your 'kind'.

If you honestly mean you would try then I'd start working on that shit view you have of the kid already. Get rid of that special vs normal mentality. 'Us' and 'them'.

It be sad shit to be the child of a parent that refers to them as one of 'you people'.

2220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
Instead of requiring people fit into a certain brain wiring, you could just treat them like they are normal human beings yourself. You don't have to "relate" to your child to be a good parent to them. That's probably too hard though. Why work when we can just design our kid to automatically fit within our narrow schema of understanding?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

Ryulightorb wrote:


If you think Autism is a mental disorder and that is the clean cut of it.....then you know very little.

The benefits outweigh the negatives in my opinion and others would agree

It's only counted as a disorder mainly due to the social impairment and problems with communicating but those at the end of the day are learn-able.


To wish your child to be Autistic is no less wrong then to wish your child to not be Autistic.

But feel free to disagree the odds are in my favour with me fathering a child like myself due to genetics but i won't be that upset if they are normal.

That being said at the rate of technology towards births i would wonder about the possibilities of designing your own kid so to speak.
But that aside because that right there causes a big ethical dilemma that i would rather not go into because that's a can of worms where everyone is right and everyone is equally as wrong because OPINIONS.


Benefits, what pray tell are the benefits a child would receive from a mental condition that impairs a normal learning curve, That impairs even the most basic of communication skills. That at it's worse can even effect the child physically. Seems to me such a blessing would be a curse and no blessing.

And to wish it on a child...that's just all kinds of messed up in my book.
20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

You are assuming i wouldn't try to understand them isn't assuming things about people FUN.

They are not someone with the same brain wiring to say they are when it is false is just telling yourself an egg is a rock.

I hope they don't go through my experience as a child as they will feel around me the same way i did around my family alone in the world like an alien so to speak.

Who would wish there child to be different and suffer from feeling such a thing.

A parent with Autism is going to be a better parent to a kid with Autism then a neurotypical child.

You are assuming i wouldn't treat said NT child the same or try to relate to them but i would because not doing so would be illogical and bad parenting.

I want the best for my future child and the best for them would be being like there mother and father and growing up with a sense of belonging and knowing how to deal with there needs etc.

I feel if i had a NT child it would be wrong for me to raise them i feel they would have a better life being raised by someone who is like them.

I wouldn't give them up but i would feel guilty for not being able to provide to that extent due to how i am.


I didn't assume shit.

You already stated you could only pity such a 'neurotypical' child for having a life you would hate---that you would have less empathy for them considering they are irrational and emotional to you. That such a child wouldn't be of your 'kind'.

If you honestly mean you would try then I'd start working on that shit view you have of the kid already. Get rid of that special vs normal mentality. 'Us' and 'them'.

It be sad shit to be the child of a parent that refers to them as one of 'you people'.




Well that is your opinion and that's fine also no one said it's us vs them i am merely stating the fact that there is a difference and NT and Autistic people connect very differently.

Pitying your child means you simply wish they weren't like they are for there sake but you still love them.
It's no different then wishing your blind child could see for there sake.

Honestly your response to this is very emotional and quite funny to hear.

I wouldn't refer to my own child as neurotypical but it's fact that they are different if they were born that way and as much as you ignore that fact it doesn't go away.

By Nature said child would be different there is nothing wrong in acknowledging that infact for some situations i would say it is better to be NT then to be Autistic.

I would not treat any child of mine with or without Autism any differently i would feel sorry that they wouldn't have a great childhood like they could of had if they were Autistic but that is fine it's just my job to try make there's unique to make up for that loss.

Either way i'm got at parenting and looking after children i have done way to much of it each child is precious and unique and its the traits they are born with and develop that define them as a person.

To group together NT and Autistic people is something i see as irrational but that's just my view if you disagree then good on you.

I will rise my children and they will enjoy there childhood most likely.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

Ryulightorb wrote:


Honestly your response to this is very emotional and quite funny to hear.



I would not treat any child of mine with or without Autism any differently i would feel sorry that they wouldn't have a great childhood like they could of had if they were Autistic but that is fine it's just my job to try make there's unique to make up for that loss.


Writing off my responses as 'emotional' means you can't argue with them.




20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

Ranwolf wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


If you think Autism is a mental disorder and that is the clean cut of it.....then you know very little.

The benefits outweigh the negatives in my opinion and others would agree

It's only counted as a disorder mainly due to the social impairment and problems with communicating but those at the end of the day are learn-able.

To wish your child to be Autistic is no less wrong then to wish your child to not be Autistic.

But feel free to disagree the odds are in my favour with me fathering a child like myself due to genetics but i won't be that upset if they are normal.

That being said at the rate of technology towards births i would wonder about the possibilities of designing your own kid so to speak.
But that aside because that right there causes a big ethical dilemma that i would rather not go into because that's a can of worms where everyone is right and everyone is equally as wrong because OPINIONS.


Benefits, what pray tell are the benefits a child would receive from a mental condition that impairs a normal learning curve, That impairs even the most basic of communication skills. That at it's worse can even effect the child physically. Seems to me such a blessing would be a curse and no blessing.

And to wish it on a child...that's just all kinds of messed up in my book.



If you honestly think Autism is a learning disability then you know very little about it sir.

It's no less messed up then wishing a child to be normal.


There are alot of traits i enjoy that stem from me being Autistic to many to count but i will list my top 5

1. Logical thinking over emotion - Most of us put emotion second to logic as we feel empathy differently.
2. Obsession / Special interests - A common trait but most autistic people have an obsession that they focus on intently.
3. The ability to not need to socialize and to avoid socializiation - Something i enjoy alot whilst communication is something you need sometimes it's amazing to lock yourself in a room for a few days and spend time doing your own thing
4. Heightened sense - Ever want to hear or see taste and feel things to a higher degree then most people well we have it to the extent that it can become overwhelming however that is not a bad thing as it can come in handy.
5. We are better at noticing numbers and patterns.

It is common knowledge that Autism inherently brings both disadvantages and Advantages and it's the naive view that is a disabling and horrible condition that is very offensive and rude as most of us are better off with Autism then we would be without.

Found an Article that sums it up nicely http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/09/autism-hidden-advantages/406180/

If i was not Autistic i wouldn't be able to do most of the stuff i do today that i can do because of the advantages of Autism.

It's still counted as a disorder as it does have defecits but to just say it's a disorder and a horrible thing is a blatant myth/false belief.
20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


Honestly your response to this is very emotional and quite funny to hear.



I would not treat any child of mine with or without Autism any differently i would feel sorry that they wouldn't have a great childhood like they could of had if they were Autistic but that is fine it's just my job to try make there's unique to make up for that loss.


Writing off my responses as 'emotional' means you can't argue with them.






Not really but if you feel that way then you can think it.

I don't feel a need to argue because we are not going to see eye to eye on this matter.

No one is right or wrong here to be fair.

I just think it's ok to wish your child to be like yourself for example i hope my child will be a computer loving child but hey...if they love sports and swimming (things i hate) i'm not going to stop them it's there life :)


To be honest with you fully i can't comprehend your view on this matter to me it is foreign and makes no sense to me.

So believe and think what you will at the end of the day i don't mind if you think i'm a shitty person or a shitty parent but i know i'm not and that i will be a great parent so eh who cares.


I actually wonder though maybe i just view children differently then you do because i have seen alot of people outraged about things like designer children and to me it just seems like a logical option to have open.

But i respect you for having your opinion and view lets just agree to disagree i guess?

20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15

mickeydayum wrote:

Instead of requiring people fit into a certain brain wiring, you could just treat them like they are normal human beings yourself. You don't have to "relate" to your child to be a good parent to them. That's probably too hard though. Why work when we can just design our kid to automatically fit within our narrow schema of understanding?


You obviously have never grown up not relating to your family.

It's 100x worse then having your parents divorced which fucks kids up as it is.

All kids are humans that goes without saying and we all deserve the same treatment.

But i didn't expect everyone to see and understand my point of view and opinions on the matter after all we are all different and see things in vastly different ways


I just don't want my child to have to go through what i did and if they are NT well they will go through the same thing i did regardless of how much i care and love them and that is a fact i can't change.

All i can do is hope they won't have to go through that which is what i do hope but as they say "Shit happens"
11350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/31/15



Wow....just wow. Coming from someone with a Psych degree, by no means licensed; you seem to function fine, but it is a disrespect to those who actually are effected highly negatively by their ASD.

Anyone who wants to make the distinction themselves from being "Neuro-typical" & has such a phobia of being "normal" & then wants to compare Autism to Gay & Trans...... - just grow the fuck up kid & stop being a such a hipster. Tell me what rights you are having taken away that relates?

There certainly are noticeable neurological deficits in those who fall high on the Autism Spectrum, and it certainly can hinder the quality of life. It is by no means my call in restricting child-birth (wish it was) - but let's say you did prefer an ASD child, what happens if the child falls higher on the spectrum? I live near an Autistic Center that specially houses certain cases because they need help functioning, and the families can't take care of them anymore. Don't belittle those with ASD - not everyone has it good like you, assuming you aren't lying.

20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15 , edited 12/31/15

Shishiku wrote:




Wow....just wow. Coming from someone with a Psych degree, by no means licensed; you seem to function fine, but it is a disrespect to those who actually are effected highly negatively by their ASD.

Anyone who wants to make the distinction themselves from being "Neuro-typical" & has such a phobia of being "normal" & then wants to compare Autism to Gay & Trans...... - just grow the fuck up kid & stop being a such a hipster. Tell me what rights you are having taken away that relates?

There certainly are noticeable neurological deficits in those who fall high on the Autism Spectrum, and it certainly can hinder the quality of life. It is by no means my call in restricting child-birth (wish it was) - but let's say you did prefer an ASD child, what happens if the child falls higher on the spectrum? I live near an Autistic Center that specially houses certain cases because they need help functioning, and the families can't take care of them anymore. Don't belittle those with ASD - not everyone has it good like you, assuming you aren't lying.



It's also highly disrespectful to do the opposite which people already do also.

Not belittling those who have Autism as a negative impact but i'm sick of everyone Assuming Autism is inherently a negative thing it belittles us who benefit if anything from it.

People need to understand it's a spectrum not a one title fit's all like most treat it as.

Most others with Autism that i speak to find it annoying that everyone views it as negative and i feel the same way because alot of the traits i have i would not have if i were not Autistic.

I function fine socially because i taught myself how to socialise.
No one has a phobia here i don't see how you come to that assumption i merely for arguments sake pointed out that i am different and i take pride in that fact because it's not something to be ashamed of i'm proud that i have Aspergers Syndrome.

Alot of us hate how we are treated in society and thats why it's our job to spread awareness that Autism isn't some evil thing we need to "cure"

We should have the right to live and be who we are stim etc without people trying to "cure" us or "treat" us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

That explains it better then i can but the fact people want to stop Autism from existing is just offensive and distasteful.

When people hear Autism they think of low functioning Autistic people and those with low quality of lives.
I want that to change and people to realize it isn't all sadness and pain.


You tell me to grow up but then you say you wish it was your call to restrict childbirth.
That is the kind of bullshit we need to avoid because people want to wipe out Autism from existance just because of the lower functioning side of the spectrum.



I fear for the future at the moment because as it is Autism may not exist in 100 years because of Humanity and there blindness.

But hey you're welcome to disagree after all you will have your own opinion on the matter.
But i refuse to sit by and let people only see the negatives of Autism and want to "fix" us when there is nothing wrong to start with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/31b42q/to_the_person_who_posted_about_wanting_a_cure_and/

Most of us who congregate together online feel the same way but not everyone does some people only have the disadvantages and for them that is unfair.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/3h9v8x/very_annoyed_by_textbook_descriptions_of_asd/

^ this guy sums what im trying to say up really well.

Also for fun i asked said community this question and the results were pretty positive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/3yj53a/im_glad_im_not_neurotypical/

Make with all this what you will i don't care if you disagree with me but im sick of people seeing Autism as this AWFUL condition we must cure.

But if you see it that way that's fine you can have your opinions and beliefs but im going to stand up for mine.
39033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 12/31/15
People naturally hate anything they don't understand or that is different from them, yet they don't take the time to learn about it.
11350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/31/15


No one is belittling you - find me examples where you those who are high functioning members of society who fall within the DSM V's ASD are targeted? I don't know of any examples, but I do find your statements misleading as to the norms of Autism, and if your goal is to EDUCATE then you should follow a more suitable approach such as an actual geneticist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlMcLTqRLs

I don't think everyone views it negatively either, when we discuss terms of understanding genetic mutations within medical research - then yes, we are under the assumption of suffering; however, I do agree there is a misguided social understanding of a high functioning ASD member, but I don't believe it is inherently negative.

"I just wanted to let you guys know as you probably never heard of this but there is a movement going on to strip those with Autism of there rights and not to accept us"

It's fine to take pride in it; I did not state there was harm in that & I am glad that you do well, but comparing it to a movement that has received ACTUAL legislation and public harassment against it is unnecessary & wrong. When was the last time it was illegal to have Aspergers? I don't remember anyone holding up signs that says "God hates Asps" - In Sparta you would have been thrown off a cliff at birth most likely, but not here in modern times. & that is why I told you to grow up.

Autism is a spectrum of disorders, not a singular - if you have ASD, you of all people should understand the diversity among the ranges, and with that understand that this "cure" thing you keep going on about is not necessarily a fix all. Right now researchers are still trying to understand it, not cure it, and the aspects that are attempting to be "cured" are things to make life better in small increments.

Lol you need to chill - it was half-sarcasm - & more importantly, i never said anything about "wiping Autism out" - I am not sure who you hang around to get the impression that the public opinion is towards "wiping" out Auti's like you are Jews, but it is not rational or well founded.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.