First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Is racism ever justified?
JuJu26 
27550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 1/1/16
No.
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

Shenseiken wrote:

While I generally prefer interacting with and particularly dating people of my own race, I wouldn't want to separate myself from other races and cultures because I still find interests with them. Preferences don't make you racist. Beliefs of superiority and inferiority do.

As for one of the OP's listed views, what of those that do wish to separate themselves from other races and cultures and to assemble likewise. Does that make them racist? It probably wouldn't be good for them overall, but is that necessarily immoral? I don't have answers for that.


Mexican music all sounds the same and makes me want chips and salsa.

It's true. I'm contemplating hitting the convenience store up now.


Well, I may be the devil advocate with this argument. What about factual racial scientific superiority? For example, some races are better doing something than other races. For example, there a race of humans that can breathe in mountains vastly superior to other races. While the rest of the other races will struggle to breathe in the same environment. I can't remember the name of the race but they possess a unique racial trait unique to their race. This what allow them to breath better than other humans in the same environment. Or how about black people having superior muscles to whites.

Blacks who trace their ancestry to West Africa, including African Americans, hold more than 95 percent of the top times in sprinting;
Whites are virtually absent from the top ranks of sprinting; though whites have traditionally done well in the longer endurance races, particularly the marathon, their ranks have thinned in recent years;
Athletes from one country, Kenya, make up more than one-third of top times in middle and long distance races; including top performances by other East Africans (most from Ethiopia), that domination swells to almost 50 percent.
North Africans do well at middle distances;
Mexicans (Native Americans), are strongest at the longest races, 10,000 meters and the marathon;
East Asians are competitive only at the event requiring the most endurance, the marathon, and at ultra-marathons.


And this.

Although fiber composition can significantly affect performance, it is not sufficient by itself to ensure high performance. Since endurance is only about 25 percent inherited, training plays an integral role-but more so in blacks than whites. Experiments show that with only a modest amount of training, blacks can experience an explosive rise in exercise capacity, while even with far more effort whites don't improve nearly as much. In contrast, it appears that no amount of training can break through genetically-imposed, inherited limits on anaerobic capacity-the ability to sprint and jump. Thus, although fiber type alone does not itself guarantee a champion, if an athlete does not have a certain proportion of fast-twitch muscles, he or she can't hope to be a champion sprinter or jumper. In practical terms, this detail suggests that sprinters are born, not made.


So how about when somebody say they are better a something. While pointing out clear genetics that make them better than another race? How is that racist if you are pointing out the true? http://run-down.com/guests/je_black_athletes_p2.php

Remember I am being the devil advocate here.
22322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 1/1/16



What about factual racial scientific superiority? ^^^^^^


Devil's advocate noted, but racial superiority was mentioned in my post only to separate itself from it. This also has nothing to do with what I was trying to discuss.

However, I will say that while certain races do clearly seem to have specific advantages, I don't believe someone can definitively say one race is better in a general sense or should be kept around more than any other. For example African blacks can boast some physical superior tendencies, but suffer in others like being more prone to certain diseases.

What is important though is that we learn to utilize or possibly adapt known advantages and compensate for or therapeutically remove the weaknesses.
Posted 1/1/16

Shenseiken wrote:




What about factual racial scientific superiority? ^^^^^^


Devil's advocate noted, but racial superiority was mentioned in my post only to separate itself from it. This also has nothing to do with what I was trying to discuss.

However, I will say that while certain races do clearly seem to have specific advantages, I don't believe someone can definitively say one race is better in a general sense or should be kept around more than any other. For example African blacks can boast some physical superior tendencies, but suffer in others like being more prone to certain diseases.

What is important though is that we learn to utilize or possibly adapt known advantages and compensate for or therapeutically remove the weaknesses.


I was asking you a question. I was no arguing with this post against your argument. This was a separate question I made toward you.
Base on what you say but no meant to argue directly against your argument.
Posted 1/1/16
This thread sure is hot. Blazing hot
29898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/4/16
First of all, let's get racism defined. Racism isn't calling someone a derogatory term, or being a general asshole. Racism is when you genuinely believe that one race is inherently superior or inferior to the others regardless of personal merit, and evidenced when you commit racist acts to defend or express that belief. You can do racist acts without being a racist, just like you can commit an irresponsible act without that making you an irresponsible person. This current generation has cheapened and diminished the value of the word racism by applying it to all sorts of inapplicable and irrelevant situations.

So, as to the question "Is racism ever justified": yes. Racism can be justified or else it simply would not exist. However, something being justified does not make it a productive or a moral viewpoint. You can justify just about any idea in a single circumstance but that does not make it completely justified or valid, that just means that there are various situations in which it is a beneficial thing. You can come up with hundreds of different justifications of slavery, which is why it existed, but it's still evil. In certain situations shouting bomb in a plane is a justified action. Does this make it a good policy to shout bomb whenever you fly Jet Blue? Obviously not. The same goes for about any policy, ideology, or belief: the reason such a belief exists is because there are at least a few situations in which it is justified, but to say that of the aforementioned beliefs are always valid simply because there is one instance in which they are justified would be insanity.

Basically when you choose to identify as something or to become something, you do so because you see a logical basis for doing so. Every action in life is taken because you see a need to do so, and some sort of logic compels you to do whatever it is you act upon. So yes, racism can be justified (or else there would be basically no support for it in today's culture and it would quickly cease to exist) however it is still morally wrong and in my and many people's opinions makes you a huge asshole.
22322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 1/1/16


Understood. It just felt like I was replied to randomly when the post could have been easily made on its own. I realize now that I was probably one of the few people willing to give this thread any merit of thought beyond dismissal and this was your attempt to keep the very general discussion going with one of the few people that might.
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

Shenseiken wrote:



Understood. It just felt like I was replied to randomly when the post could have been easily made on its own. I realize now that I was probably one of the few people willing to give this thread any merit of thought beyond dismissal and this was your attempt to keep the very general discussion going with one of the few people that might.


Thanks. It feels like people are behaving like sheep. I ask a question but apparently some people can't be bothered to argue against it. Instead, regurgitate what they feel but no why they feel like that.
Posted 1/1/16

cheapshotfail wrote:

First of all, let's get racism defined. Racism isn't calling someone a derogatory term, or being a general asshole. Racism is when you genuinely believe that one race is inherently superior or inferior to the others regardless of personal merit, and evidenced when you commit racist acts to defend or express that belief. You can do racist acts without being a racist, just like you can commit an irresponsible act without that making you an irresponsible person. This current generation has cheapened and diminished the value of the word racism by applying it to all sorts of inapplicable and irrelevant situations.

So, as to the question "Is racism ever justified": yes. Racism can be justified or else it simply would not exist. However, something being justified does not make it a productive or a moral viewpoint. You can justify just about any idea in a single circumstance but that does not make it completely justified or valid, that just means that there are various situations in which it is a beneficial thing. You can come up with hundreds of different justifications of slavery, which is why it existed, but it's still evil. In certain situations shouting bomb in a plane is a justified action. Does this make it a good policy to shout bomb whenever you fly Jet Blue? Obviously not. The same goes for about any policy, ideology, or belief: the reason such a belief exists is because there are at least a few situations in which it is justified, but to say that of the aforementioned beliefs are always valid simply because there is one instance in which they are justified would be insanity.

Basically when you choose to identify as something or to become something, you do so because you see a logical basis for doing so. Every action in life is taken because you see a need to do so, and some sort of logic compels you to do whatever it is you act upon. So yes, racism can be justified (or else there would be basically no support for it in today's culture and it would quickly cease to exist) however it is still morally wrong and in my and many people's opinions makes you a huge asshole.


So, in essence, morals are bullshit? Depending on that society morals it will be acceptable vs the current one being no?
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16
Nope, never.
19122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
Simple answer, NO
We are all human.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
Even diseases are racist, effecting different races differently.

Posted 1/1/16

VZ68 wrote:

Even diseases are racist, effecting different races differently.

Even racists are diseases, plaguing the world and in need of being cured.
161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / America
Offline
Posted 1/1/16


::runs away from this terrible place::
Posted 1/1/16
I don't think racism should ever be justified. There's plenty of white men and asians out there who probably commit crime as well. It's just not shown on media as much. Anyone is capable of committing crime. It has nothing to do with the color of your skin.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.