First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Is racism ever justified?
28602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Online
Posted 1/1/16

Kerensa wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:

Yes it is becasue sometimes its funny. And the word is over used.
I mean iam offended that a Muslim wont come to my BBQ and drink beer with me and eat a bacon sandwhich i consider the Muslim racist.
But really that would make me racist? lol its just stupid. Everything is racist these days.


So because a Muslim individual will not come to your BBQ, drink beer with you and eat a bacon sandwich that makes the Muslim racist?

The Muslim is not choosing to not do those things because of their race. It's because of their religion.

Besides, if we're going to claim that the reason the Muslim isn't doing any of those things is due to their race, then it would be safe to say that because you won't go to a Vietnam gathering and have some delicious balut with some locals then that would be racist, by your standards. Don't be racist, MrAnimeSK.


I think you just validated their point, read his post a little more carefully, he's being facetious.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

JuJu26 wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Nope...



unless its Mexican music...

...then yes.


What about Mexican music?....




Lol, I just hate it.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
...Good Lord, it's 2016 now and we are STILL having arguments over this?

If you think racism is a good thing/justifiable...then y'all need a good hard look at yourselves.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:


Lol, I just hate it.


I enjoy it. Now, from a professionally musical standpoint, a good chunk of it is pretty simple to play and the lyrics are made up of love messages, but there are some that just amazing. Every culture has their own amazing music.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

JuJu26 wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:


Lol, I just hate it.


I enjoy it. Now, from a professionally musical standpoint, a good chunk of it is pretty simple to play and the lyrics are made up of love messages, but there are some that just amazing. Every culture has their own amazing music.





Not my people, though.


We can't seem to adapt to modern day music.
We're stuck in the stone ages when it comes to music.
You'll never hear normal rock, rap, pop, or even classical on mainstream Mexican radio.


Maybe I just have a case of "cultural cringe" or as we Mexicans say, Malinchismo.

Maybe we should have a rock/metal boom and do what our American counterparts did to disco and just kill Mariachi and Norteno then and there!

I'd probably be like "Andele wey, matar a esa mierda!"
We'd all be wearing shirts saying "Norteno Chupa." or "Nortendo sucks".
(I love saying "Andele wey." XD)

Same way towards disco, and I like disco.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Not my people, though.


We can't seem to adapt to modern day music.
We're stuck in the stone ages when it comes to music.
You'll never hear normal rock, rap, pop, or even classical on mainstream Mexican radio.


Maybe I just have a case of "cultural cringe" or as we Mexicans say, Malinchismo.

Maybe we should have a rock/metal boom and do what our American counterparts did to disco and just kill Mariachi and Norteno then and there!

I'd probably be like "Andele wey, matar a esa mierda!"
We'd all be wearing shirts saying "Norteno Chupa." or "Nortendo sucks".
(I love saying "Andele wey." XD)

Same way towards disco, and I like disco.



Hmm, I see. From what I learned in music theory, even old mexican music is a combination of music techniques from other cultures, so in a way, you are more versatile in music than you think you are.

Also, I thought Banda was the so called "Boom"? I remember that being a huge thing a while back..
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

JuJu26 wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Not my people, though.


We can't seem to adapt to modern day music.
We're stuck in the stone ages when it comes to music.
You'll never hear normal rock, rap, pop, or even classical on mainstream Mexican radio.


Maybe I just have a case of "cultural cringe" or as we Mexicans say, Malinchismo.

Maybe we should have a rock/metal boom and do what our American counterparts did to disco and just kill Mariachi and Norteno then and there!

I'd probably be like "Andele wey, matar a esa mierda!"
We'd all be wearing shirts saying "Norteno Chupa." or "Nortendo sucks".
(I love saying "Andele wey." XD)

Same way towards disco, and I like disco.



Hmm, I see. From what I learned in music theory, even old mexican music is a combination of music techniques from other cultures, so in a way, you are more versatile in music than you think you are.

Also, I thought Banda was the so called "Boom"? I remember that being a huge thing a while back..




Well, I'm talking about REAL rock, REAL metal, the hardcore stuff. We're we loved the Iron Maidens and the Cannibal Corpses of the world.


Let me ask you this.
Can you be able to adapt and even love Nasheed like I have?
Have you listened to Nasheeds before?
If not, I have plenty of songs I recommend you listen.

Nasheed is a type of religious music found in Islam.
Normally, religious music isn't something a common person religious or otherwise would listen constantly, but I would argue its different for Islam.
And for someone who isn't Muslim its just addictive to listen to.
There's just something magical and amazing that I just can't stop listening, hell I'm listening to one right now!

JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Well, I'm talking about REAL rock, REAL metal, the hardcore stuff. We're we loved the Iron Maidens and the Cannibal Corpses of the world.


Let me ask you this.
Can you be able to adapt and even love Nasheed like I have?
Have you listened to Nasheeds before?
If not, I have plenty of songs I recommend you listen.

Nasheed is a type of religious music found in Islam.
Normally, religious music isn't something a common person religious or otherwise would listen constantly, but I would argue its different for Islam.
And for someone who isn't Muslim its just addictive to listen to.
There's just something magical and amazing that I just can't stop listening, hell I'm listening to one right now!



I gotcha.

I haven't, but someone told me about it yesterday. It's not really for me, but I can respect its music and difference.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:


JuJu26 wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Not my people, though.


We can't seem to adapt to modern day music.
We're stuck in the stone ages when it comes to music.
You'll never hear normal rock, rap, pop, or even classical on mainstream Mexican radio.


Maybe I just have a case of "cultural cringe" or as we Mexicans say, Malinchismo.

Maybe we should have a rock/metal boom and do what our American counterparts did to disco and just kill Mariachi and Norteno then and there!

I'd probably be like "Andele wey, matar a esa mierda!"
We'd all be wearing shirts saying "Norteno Chupa." or "Nortendo sucks".
(I love saying "Andele wey." XD)

Same way towards disco, and I like disco.



Hmm, I see. From what I learned in music theory, even old mexican music is a combination of music techniques from other cultures, so in a way, you are more versatile in music than you think you are.

Also, I thought Banda was the so called "Boom"? I remember that being a huge thing a while back..




Well, I'm talking about REAL rock, REAL metal, the hardcore stuff. We're we loved the Iron Maidens and the Cannibal Corpses of the world.


Let me ask you this.
Can you be able to adapt and even love Nasheed like I have?
Have you listened to Nasheeds before?
If not, I have plenty of songs I recommend you listen.

Nasheed is a type of religious music found in Islam.
Normally, religious music isn't something a common person religious or otherwise would listen constantly, but I would argue its different for Islam.
And for someone who isn't Muslim its just addictive to listen to.
There's just something magical and amazing that I just can't stop listening, hell I'm listening to one right now!



Just listened to some Nasheed. Incredibly beautiful. It sounds like modern worship music should, as I imagine it, unlike most modern Christian stuff. Hate to say that, as a Christian, but...
8792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Places
Offline
Posted 1/1/16
Not gonna lie there are some disconcerting opinions in here. However I will say to them (should they choose to read this) that no one has the right to agree with or disagree with how another person feels , Not their action but their emotions/thoughts/opinions. Also proclaiming that one feeling that way should seek some kind of professional treatment or take a deep look at themselves is not very different then same discrimination that they themselves are condemning.

Now I like to deal with facts, and I think there needs to be a much clearer definition of what is being discussed.

Racism


: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Prejudice

: an unfair feeling of dislike for a person or group because of race, sex, religion, etc.

: a feeling of like or dislike for someone or something especially when it is not reasonable or logical

Bias

: a tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others that usually results in treating some people unfairly

: a strong interest in something or ability to do something


I strongly believe people get these three things confused. Now for my opinion : Hurting someone solely for their belief or their race is completely and utterly wrong. No one has the right to hurt others, unless the other person has done harm to them. Prejudice is perfectly fine so long at it is just feelings and not actions, however one should realize that they may lose out on things because of their prejudice. Also the first part of Bias is going to have similar draws back as being prejudice but to be frank I doǹt believe them to be wrong.

19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 1/1/16 , edited 1/1/16

JuJu26 wrote:


Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Well, I'm talking about REAL rock, REAL metal, the hardcore stuff. We're we loved the Iron Maidens and the Cannibal Corpses of the world.


Let me ask you this.
Can you be able to adapt and even love Nasheed like I have?
Have you listened to Nasheeds before?
If not, I have plenty of songs I recommend you listen.

Nasheed is a type of religious music found in Islam.
Normally, religious music isn't something a common person religious or otherwise would listen constantly, but I would argue its different for Islam.
And for someone who isn't Muslim its just addictive to listen to.
There's just something magical and amazing that I just can't stop listening, hell I'm listening to one right now!



I gotcha.

I haven't, but someone told me about it yesterday. It's not really for me, but I can respect its music and difference.




Ooooh, I think if you listened to it in Arabic it MIGHT be more enjoyable.
Trust me, I have downloaded lots of that music from YT and I'm not even Muslim.

Got some great recommendations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtuzxsqHXrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqTToJo8MWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9STZa-ITRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWRiEM7Zio

JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

Animegirlzvstheworld wrote:

Ooooh, I think if you listened to it in Arabic it MIGHT be more enjoyable.
Trust me, I have downloaded lots of that music from YT and I'm not even Muslim.

Got some great recommendations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtuzxsqHXrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqTToJo8MWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9STZa-ITRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWRiEM7Zio



Thanks, i'll look into it.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 1/1/16
Depends, some peoples definition of racism isn't racism at all. It's never right to offend someone based on their skin color or where their from.

However there are times when people take it tooooooooooo far! For instance there was a ice cream where I lived that was named 88 and idiots suddenly started calling it a racist ice cream out of no where. They claimed it was racist and anti jewish just 'cause it was named 88 since according to them H is the 8th letter in the alphabet and hh was a code germany used during the world war.... That's too far fetched and not racist since it was made in 1988! I could go on with more similar things, however I think people get my point
Posted 1/1/16

Wasp-Zero wrote:

Not gonna lie there are some disconcerting opinions in here. However I will say to them (should they choose to read this) that no one has the right to agree with or disagree with how another person feels , Not their action but their emotions/thoughts/opinions. Also proclaiming that one feeling that way should seek some kind of professional treatment or take a deep look at themselves is not very different then same discrimination that they themselves are condemning.

Now I like to deal with facts, and I think there needs to be a much clearer definition of what is being discussed.

Racism


: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Prejudice

: an unfair feeling of dislike for a person or group because of race, sex, religion, etc.

: a feeling of like or dislike for someone or something especially when it is not reasonable or logical

Bias

: a tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others that usually results in treating some people unfairly

: a strong interest in something or ability to do something


I strongly believe people get these three things confused. Now for my opinion : Hurting someone solely for their belief or their race is completely and utterly wrong. No one has the right to hurt others, unless the other person has done harm to them. Prejudice is perfectly fine so long at it is just feelings and not actions, however one should realize that they may lose out on things because of their prejudice. Also the first part of Bias is going to have similar draws back as being prejudice but to be frank I doǹt believe them to be wrong.



True but I do wonder why people waste some much energy hating or getting royally mad a somebody racial views. Is no different than getting mad a somebody view for their political views. Why can people say I disagree while being respectful of somebody racial views? By the way, I no saying respect that view but the person right to feel like that. That person right to see things differently from you. People don't realize they themselves are being discriminatory. Trying to purge other ways of thinking base on morality, when they can simply say I don't agree with it.
9047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/1/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Here are some arguments for it.

(Deleted for brevity.)

So is racism ever justified or not?


Never. Racism is a by-product of fear and ignorance. To become less afraid and less ignorant, people need to confront the root of their fears and educate themselves.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.