First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Social Justice Warrior, The Slur Of The Modern Conservative?
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16
Okay, here's what tipped me off. The fact is, people often try to undermine or deny the validity of say, the LGBT movement, or any 3rd wave feminist, by using extreme examples of them at work, case in point the trans age 50 some year old man pretending to be a 6 year old girl, and due to the constant rambling of a certain forumer with a megaman avatar, I've come to realize that Social Justice Warrior seems a lot like a slur by conservative to attack liberal movements. What do you think?
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16
I dont wanna have this thread. Jimmies will be rustled.

27595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 1/2/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Okay, here's what tipped me off. The fact is, people often try to undermine or deny the validity of say, the LGBT movement, or any 3rd wave feminist, by using extreme examples of them at work, case in point the trans age 50 some year old man pretending to be a 6 year old girl, and due to the constant rambling of a certain forumer with a megaman avatar, I've come to realize that Social Justice Warrior seems a lot like a slur by conservative to attack liberal movements. What do you think?


What the hell is a Social Justice Warrior? Is this another one of those I'm here to save the world type person, but haven't finished school and have no job? Just by the way you posted this, it's obvious you consider yourself one of the Social Justice Worker type person, which means this post has an agenda. Have you tried coming right out and saying that you are a Social Justice Worker and that this is your stand on issues? Don't make an argument by being passive aggressive, you come across as weak and manipulative. Instead come straight out and say I'm a Social Justice Worker and I stand for this. You may be disliked but you also be respected. Remember when you make posts like this people like me who have no idea what your talking about will automatically dismiss what you have to say because you couched a ambiguous divisive question.
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/3/16

Steelmonk wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Okay, here's what tipped me off. The fact is, people often try to undermine or deny the validity of say, the LGBT movement, or any 3rd wave feminist, by using extreme examples of them at work, case in point the trans age 50 some year old man pretending to be a 6 year old girl, and due to the constant rambling of a certain forumer with a megaman avatar, I've come to realize that Social Justice Warrior seems a lot like a slur by conservative to attack liberal movements. What do you think?


What the hell is a Social Justice Warrior? Is this another one of those I'm here to save the world type person, but haven't finished school and have no job? Just by the way you posted this, it's obvious you consider yourself one of the Social Justice Worker type person, which means this post has an agenda. Have you tried coming right out and saying that you are a Social Justice Worker and that this is your stand on issues? Don't make an argument by being passive aggressive, you come across as weak and manipulative. Instead come straight out and say I'm a Social Justice Worker and I stand for this. You may be disliked but you also be respected. Remember when you make posts like this people like me who have no idea what your talking about will automatically dismiss what you have to say because you couched a ambiguous divisive question.


I publicly espouse my support for these movements, but I bristle at the usage of the word SJW. Such a cheap denigration I feel is used to deny, mock, or invalidate ideas and views that I consider valid. Consider it a bit of the Streisand effect on my behalf. I'm going against the conservative flow. Although I'd say your definition was spot on. Typically they refer to liberals, who are often in such an age range, and I'd have no offense if I felt such a word was limited to those wet behind the ears. Though I feel this is not the case.


http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/social-justice-warrior

Here's an example by right newsite.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/31/read-the-epic-social-justice-warrior-smackdown-that-is-going-viral/
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/3/16
Is every opinion that you disagree with a slur? Why is it only conservatives? MANY more people than just conservatives, are sick of the PC shithole that America has become. SJW's are made up of a handful of unemployed, angry at the world, mentally ill people who can only feel better about themselves while pretending to care about some imagined injustice. Get a job and worry about fixing yourselves before you worry about others.
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/3/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Is every opinion that you disagree with a slur? Why is it only conservatives? MANY more people than just conservatives, are sick of the PC shithole that America has become. SJW's are made up of a handful of unemployed, angry at the world, mentally ill people who can only feel better about themselves while pretending to care about some imagined injustice. Get a job and worry about fixing yourselves before you worry about others.


We're talking about the prevalence of the word Social Justice Warrior, which I feel is more or less a slur used by conservatives. That is all.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 1/2/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

Is every opinion that you disagree with a slur? Why is it only conservatives? MANY more people than just conservatives, are sick of the PC shithole that America has become. SJW's are made up of a handful of unemployed, angry at the world, mentally ill people who can only feel better about themselves while pretending to care about some imagined injustice. Get a job and worry about fixing yourselves before you worry about others.


We're talking about the prevalence of the word Social Justice Warrior, which I feel is more or less a slur used by conservatives. That is all.


Yes, we are. Sorry if the discussion is not going how you imagined it.
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/3/16

Xxanthar wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

Is every opinion that you disagree with a slur? Why is it only conservatives? MANY more people than just conservatives, are sick of the PC shithole that America has become. SJW's are made up of a handful of unemployed, angry at the world, mentally ill people who can only feel better about themselves while pretending to care about some imagined injustice. Get a job and worry about fixing yourselves before you worry about others.


We're talking about the prevalence of the word Social Justice Warrior, which I feel is more or less a slur used by conservatives. That is all.


Yes, we are. Sorry if the discussion is not going how you imagined it.


We're talking about the word's usage in comparison to whatever definition you happened to connect it with, which I feel is a major disparity between both.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


We're talking about the word's usage in comparison to whatever definition you happened to connect it with, which I feel is a major disparity between both.


Why discuss the word's usage if the meaning behind it is not discussed as well? Does it make your SJW blood boil? lol
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/3/16
Social Justice Warrior has become a completely defunct term ever since you know what happened. It has lost it's own very specific connotations to become a slur directed at just about anyone who discusses topics of social justice. I used to use the term myself back when it actually applied to fringe self righteous tumblrites who clearly misunderstood the sociological concepts they were too lazy to do the reading on. Nowadays it's become "liberal I disagree with" essentially. Like Anita Sarkeesian is not a SJW by the original definition of the term, she's just a feminist critic who's specific arguments are frequently contentious and cite questionable examples. I disagree with her points on a number of topics and I don't think she's a particularly good critic, but she isn't an SJW.

This is why you don't use a term like this so frequently. It has been completely stripped of it's original connotations, becoming a useless blanket term, which is also why I don't use it anymore.
Posted 1/2/16

Xxanthar wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


We're talking about the word's usage in comparison to whatever definition you happened to connect it with, which I feel is a major disparity between both.


Why discuss the word's usage if the meaning behind it is not discussed as well? Does it make your SJW blood boil? lol


I didn't say we shouldn't discuss the word's supposed meaning. Rather, the opposite. I feel once you attach a negative stereotype to a word, than you apply that word liberally and without discrimination, that's when I believe such a word becomes a slur. A denigration, an insult stereotyping an entire ideology or group of people instead of describing the very people who fit the definition.
13508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Second star on th...
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16
I prefer the term Libtard it's so much more accurate then SJW
Posted 1/2/16

marinewrestler wrote:

I prefer the term Libtard it's so much more accurate then SJW


Extremists seems more likely. OR bigot, depending if said person is actually bigoted. Case in points, misandry.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16

vanguard1234523 wrote:

Like Anita Sarkeesian is not a SJW by the original definition of the term, she's just a feminist critic who's specific arguments are frequently contentious and cite questionable examples.

I somewhat agreed with you. Until you wrote this bit of text right here.

Anita is a textbook example of a SJW. Just because the term originated off of tumblr doesnt mean that it cant be used to refer to people who act similarly off of tumblr.
Posted 1/2/16 , edited 1/2/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:

Like Anita Sarkeesian is not a SJW by the original definition of the term, she's just a feminist critic who's specific arguments are frequently contentious and cite questionable examples.

I somewhat agreed with you. Until you wrote this bit of text right here.

Anita is a textbook example of a SJW. Just because the term originated off of tumblr doesnt mean that it cant be used to refer to people who act similarly off of tumblr.


So SJW originated on Tumblr to describe people on Tumblr?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.