First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply What do you use to hunt with?
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 1/2/16
I use a old 1973 lever action, 30-30. People tell me it's not cool or inaccurate.. but I'm usually the one making cloverleaves on the paper at 200-300 yards with my irons, while they are still scratching their heads at the 100 line with their setup that costs 4x more.
I want a compound bow next.

I know some people on CR are super open minded, but close- minded when it comes to firearms- thinking of them as nothing more than human murder machines. Although, when you have to go kill your dinner like a hunter- gatherer, they suddenly become more plausible.

Yes, a bow works too. I love bows as well as firearms, fishing tridents/ poles, traps made from steel or wire, etc..
9052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 1/2/16
I use a bear longbow or a recurve I made myself. However, I only hunt when I need to. For food and such, and always use every bit of whatever animal I kill.
Posted 1/2/16
Do video games count? I use a bow and arrow.
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 1/2/16

cosmicpup wrote:

I use a bear longbow or a recurve I made myself. However, I only hunt when I need to. For food and such, and always use every bit of whatever animal I kill.


Does it make me a bad person that I don't use the bones to make tools? I use the meat and the skin.
9052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 1/2/16
Hey at least you still use it.
Posted 1/2/16

flipmane wrote:


cosmicpup wrote:

I use a bear longbow or a recurve I made myself. However, I only hunt when I need to. For food and such, and always use every bit of whatever animal I kill.


Does it make me a bad person that I don't use the bones to make tools? I use the meat and the skin.


As long as you actually eat it or something, no, not in my opinion. I'm even more cowardly. I buy my venison from hunters. Or people who conveniently killed a deer with their car.
31351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Harrisburg IL USA
Offline
Posted 1/2/16
I use an old High Country Dynasty bow and a Remington 870 combo 12 gauge shotgun when I hunt deer. Haven't been in quite a while though. Too many things to do and not enough hours in the day.
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I have a number of guns but I haven't been hunting in years....

My favorite shotgun is my Browning 10 gage pump...

Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/4/16
I just walk up to my prey and grab it with my hands, really. There's no need to go full Die Hard on some f***ing chicken, you know.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
My good ole C14 Timberwolf chambered in .416 PGW, bringing home the venison at 1000+ meters. Unless you have a .50 cal rifle my C14 will put your rifle out to pasture every time.

Also I have a traditional English style long bow I made myself out of Osage Orange wood. The arrows however are made by a hunting friend of mine, she really makes some damn fine fletching.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16
Assuming we're talking about deer and similar, normally a CZ 550.
8792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Places
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I haveǹt hunter in years, but should I need to I know exactly what I would use. My trusty .50 cal....Muzzleloader Knight Mk.85 to be exact.



















11251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
Does fishing count?

I use a Trident me, & my dad made ourselves. The base is made out of bound wood, and the tip is metal.

It works well enough, but it can be somewhat heavy. In fact, we mostly use it to make sure the fish on our line doesn't get away.

The design of the picture below is similar to the one we made, but ours is waaaaaay more shabby looking

Aside from that, we use various rods, small nets, crab traps, & shovels (For clams), etc~

I want to try using a spear-gun one day, but I feel like I'd only ever get the chance to use it while scuba-diving, which is something I don't do often.

This one looks cool. Yet I'd prefer one with a trident tip.



As far as catch goes---What we catch is what we eat. If we catch too much, my dad ends up bringing the rest to my aunt. My aunts home always has family over, so free fish is always welcomed.
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

Ranwolf wrote:

My good ole C14 Timberwolf chambered in .416 PGW, bringing home the venison at 1000+ meters. Unless you have a .50 cal rifle my C14 will put your rifle out to pasture every time.

Also I have a traditional English style long bow I made myself out of Osage Orange wood. The arrows however are made by a hunting friend of mine, she really makes some damn fine fletching.


I like this guy. Good taste in big boy firearms.
TBH I only use the lever because visibility in the thick woods I hunt in is around 30-60y. I also use my .308 T/C pistol because it's less bulky.


Mico171 wrote:

Does fishing count?

I use a Trident me, & my dad made ourselves. The base is made out of bound wood, and the tip is metal.

It works well enough, but it can be somewhat heavy. In fact, we mostly use it to make sure the fish on our line doesn't get away.

The design of the picture below is similar to the one we made, but ours is waaaaaay more shabby looking

Aside from that, we use various rods, small nets, crab traps, & shovels (For clams), etc~

I want to try using a spear-gun one day, but I feel like I'd only ever get the chance to use it while scuba-diving, which is something I don't do often.

As far as catch goes---What we catch is what we eat. If we catch too much, my dad ends up bringing the rest to my aunt. My aunts home always has family over, so free fish is always welcomed.


I usually only ever go fishing with poles. I have a cheap PFlueger president spinning reel with a cork handled rod.
I've used a fishing bow in shallow water, too. That was fun/ painful. Lol
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

flipmane wrote:



I like this guy. Good taste in big boy firearms.
TBH I only use the lever because visibility in the thick woods I hunt in is around 30-60y. I also use my .308 T/C pistol because it's less bulky.


Yeah the C14 is a fine rifle, though I always get odd looks from the other guys for using my military issue sniper rifle to kill game with. Though hunting on the open plain like we do a long range rifle is usually a necessity.

She's cost me an arm and leg though. Bought a new scope for her just recently, set me back 5k. Damn fine scope and now I can manage sub moa at 1300 meters fairly easy now thanks to that scope.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.